Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 01-13-2017, 05:48 PM   #1
parametric
Human being with feelings

Default PianoRoll MIDI - how to pitchbend beyond +/- 2 semitones?

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to pitchbend a Bb down to the Eb below it.

I've created a ReaControlMIDI lane and drawn the PB, but it only bends 2 semitones.

Is there a way to recalibrate the -8192/+8192 PB range to 12 semitones (for instance)?

I DID find an old reference (2008?) to a JS FX called "PitchWheel" and downloaded it, it's a .txt file.

I tried to copy it to the folder where the other midi plugins are, but it didn't show up (with or without the .txt extension)

Perhaps I'm missing something?

ANY guidance would be gratefully received . . . .

parametric
Old 01-13-2017, 06:21 PM   #2
ashcat_lt

The MIDI Pitchwheel data really only tells the synth how far the pitchwheel was moved. It's up to the synth itself to do whatever it does with that information. If whatever you're sending this MIDI to won't let you adjust the pitch bend range, then you will have to either find another synth or try to work around by remapping the pitchwheel to a tune/detune/transpose parameter on the synth. How well that works also completely depends on the synth.

So basically, Reaper can't do this because that's not Reaper's job. If you tell us what synth you're using, somebody might be able to help you with the specifics of setting it up.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:34 PM   #3
parametric

Thanks ashcat,

I have NI's "Massive" being driven by that track.

I DID have a look to see if there's a bend setting in there but there doesn't appear to be - mind you, I'm a beginner with NI . . .

The JS FX file I found was this . .

How do I install it?

Best Regards

parametric
Attached Files
File Type: txt PitchWheel.txt (5.4 KB, 267 views)
Old 01-14-2017, 08:39 AM   #4
DarkStar

How to install a JS FX (in Post #4)

PB range in Massive:
>>> https://i.imgur.com/frMJT4i.png
Old 01-14-2017, 04:29 PM   #5
parametric

DarkStar - THANKS for your help!

As it happens, I revisited Massive, and found that setting (in a tab I'd not opened)- exactly as your pic. shows . . .

Put in 12 and -12 and got the desired result - thanks!

I'll check out that JS Pitchwheel plugin and see if it does what is says.

Could be useful if other VSTis DON'T offer this feature . . . .

Best Regards

parametric
Old 01-14-2017, 04:43 PM   #6
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by parametric View Post
Could be useful if other VSTis DON'T offer this feature . . . .
It can't possibly help with the issue in your OP. It could help if you had the opposite issue - if you're synth was bending further than you wanted.

I could see building a JS that would bend to a point, then send a note on for wherever it left of, and on up like that, but that wouldn't probably be as smooth in most cases.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:56 PM   #7
parametric

Thanks for your continued interest Ash . . .

As you saw, Massive DID have the functionality I needed to achieve what I wanted musically (I just hadn't found it . . . )

I need to install that JS and SEE what the differences are - and so understand, hopefully.

I understand in principle what you are saying, but need to understand it on my own terms (IYSWIM).

It's all quite challenging ATM, learning NI, as well as Reaper - while trying to do the stuff I want to do . . .

Massive WAS in fact set to +2/-2 which explains what I was finding initially - so I'm content that I understand this . .

ATB

parametric
Old 01-14-2017, 05:45 PM   #8
ashcat_lt

Do that!

You will find that the pitchwheel just sends numbers between -/+ 8xxx, and synths respond to numbers in that range. You can send it 6billion if you want, but it'll just go "wow, that's really big, let's call it 8xxx" and you won't get any MORE pitch bend than you otherwise would have.

That plugin can take your 8xxx input and change it to 2xx if you want, and then your synth won't bend as far as it might if it just got the raw data from the pitchwheel itself. It can make your range smaller (at the expense of resolution), but it can't make the range bigger.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:53 PM   #9
parametric

Ok Sir . . .

I'm getting it now . . .

SO its of rather limited use . . .

Here's hoping the rest of the NI content includes the ability to specify . . .

I have to take some time out and check . . .

ATB

parametric
Old 01-14-2017, 10:29 PM   #10
chriscomfort

Most of the NI products have pitchbend range adjustments. But for synths that don't the best possible option might be to bounce the audio and then use a pitch envelope on the audio item to mimic a full pitchbend.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:17 AM   #11
parametric

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscomfort View Post
Most of the NI products have pitchbend range adjustments.
That's good to know - thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscomfort View Post
But for synths that don't the best possible option might be to bounce the audio and then use a pitch envelope on the audio item to mimic a full pitchbend.
Point taken, and in fact, I always USED to "record" my midi tracks to audio BEFORE dropping them into Reaper, however I'm liking the flexibility and tweakability of editing MIDI to correct my own shortcomings in playing the data IN . .

Many Thanks . .

parametric