Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 02:57 PM   #81
poetnprophet
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by emwhy View Post
Been on Reaper (from SONAR) for about 6 months. To me it's like house painting. The painting part is easy, it's all the prep that takes time. With Reaper it took me a while to figure out how to customize it to my workflow (prep work). Now that I've done that, I'm flying on it with very little slowdowns. The main thing I've noticed is that with big projects, Reaper still runs smooth with no sluggishness. Can't say the same with SONAR. The bigger the project, the clunkier it gets and is more prone to crashing. Don't get me wrong, I like SONAR, used Cakewalk stuff for almost 20 years, but it was time to try something else when Gibson pulled the plug to see what else was out there. Yes I will use Cakewalk by Bandlab, but Reaper works better for me at this point.
This sums up my situation perfectly..it's uncanny, actually. I have also used many DAWs over the years, and Cubase has been one of them (up to 5), a favorite, and they are all great if you learn how to work them how they are designed. Reaper wasn't workflow-ready for me out of the box. It has taken me since Feb (off/on) to figure this thing out, but it was well worth it and I am sold...literally (just purchased my license). All that and, I can open any cakewalk project now (thanks to azslow!) and not even have to change my folder file structure for projects. Studio life couldn't be any sweeter right now.

What sold me was that, through the videos/forums/searching, there is nothing I can't do that I (personally) need to do or want to do. Literally, anything I have wanted I have found it either already does exist or I can do it some way (you can find my posts here)....and make it a toolbar button, or controller button, or keystroke. I have found myself asking Cakewalk to be more like Reaper the last few months in terms of requests...
Old 07-30-2018, 03:02 PM   #82
deeb

Bri1! common! i am not sure what to say! if you are ok with jambe play it and do the music you want! A DAW seen as an intrument or creative tool evolves and the user needs change over time.
discussing philosophical terms and points of view leads in this case to nowhere IMO. I am saying concrete things and concrete needs.

example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6Cd0AvWnvE

does one song of this could be possible in 80's DAWs? probably it could, but would take 1000 X more time
Old 07-30-2018, 03:20 PM   #83
EricTbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
the beauty of cubase is that there is almost no need of customization
*rofl*

Quote:
the bad of cubase is the price
the bad of reaper is that it maded to be customizable and is dummy on basic editing
I just switched from Cubase to Reaper with no regard whatsoever for price, giving up a lot of very powerful, useful features, because Reaper is so much better at basic editing. Can you quantify what you mean by that?

Quote:
area selection and same shortcuts based on context
Reaper is capable of vastly more contextual actions than Cubase.

Quote:
area selection is missing
What is "area selection"? You know you can right-click drag to select everything in an area, right? Are you talking about something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
rofl-every single post i have made on this forum is in plain readable english m8- people are just blinded by something...sense?
You may be a very bright guy, Bri. I wouldn't know, because I don't read your posts, mostly because they look like insane rambling. I think you're proud of it, because you glibly ignore the feedback you receive about it, so let me offer a perspective you may not have considered:
  1. Humans don't read phonetically. We read entire words or even entire phrases by recognizing their shape. When you write shit like "m8" instead of "mate", you're making your post harder to read.
  2. It's rude to knowinging make your post harder to read to save yourself a few milliseconds. A post is written once but read by potentially hundreds of people. You're implicit saying that your time is orders of magnitude more valuable than theirs.
Leaving out capitalization, leaving letters out of words, inventing your own punctuation, constantly using slang that only you understand, etc. all puts an unnecessary burden on anyone who wants to actually understand what the fuck you're talking about and converse with you. So there it is.

Last edited by EricTbone; 07-30-2018 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:25 PM   #84
deeb

EricTbone: if you really interested to know read everything i said

Area selection is the term used for the request in reaper forum which is called range selection in cubase
Old 07-30-2018, 03:30 PM   #85
EricTbone

Quote:
Area selection is the term used for the request in reaper forum which is called range selection in cubase
Reaper can select an area, copy slices of items out of them and paste them somewhere else. You can also create regions, which let you freely copy, paste, drag, chunks of song around however you like.

What is you can do with "range selection in Cubase" that you can't do just as easily in Reaper?
Old 07-30-2018, 03:34 PM   #86
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTbone View Post

What is you can do with "range selection in Cubase" that you can't do just as easily in Reaper?
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=193121
Old 07-30-2018, 03:34 PM   #87
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTbone View Post
all puts an unnecessarily burden on anyone who wants to actually understand what the fuck you're talking about and converse with you...
and add the fact that at least half of the forum participants are not native English speakers and hence totally lost on guessing the meaning of such slang.

-Michael
Old 07-30-2018, 03:40 PM   #88
EvilDragon

Quote:
rofl-every single post i have made on this forum is in plain readable english m8-
Fucking hilarious. Because constant typos, screwed up interpunction and leetspeak is "plain readable". Get the fuck out.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:51 PM   #89
deeb

can anyone comment on this? seems more useful:
--=============================

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
If you prefer to use the same shortcut for both contexts, they can be combined in a short script that calls the one or the other depending on context.
who does prefer different shortcuts dependent on context?
Every user would have to do that script or download and customize? is this the right choice?

also it is not just gluing: Mute, toggle Mute, Copy and paste clone, Split, nudge and probably a few more
All are dummy and square in this matter.

Old 07-30-2018, 03:58 PM   #90
EricTbone

Quote:
Oh, OK. You said "area selection is missing", but that thread is literally about the existing area selection feature in Reaper.

Your complaint is that it doesn't handle automation items well, which I presume is valid (I didn't read the whole thread).

You can copy and paste regions of songs if you want, which includes all automation:

Old 07-30-2018, 04:00 PM   #91
deeb

Area selection is not present. Also the problem is that probably i want a bit of 1 single lane of automation to be pasted on a already present section.
And there are many many more scenarios.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:01 PM   #92
EvilDragon

One single lane of automation can be easily copy-pasted with automation items, though?
Old 07-30-2018, 04:04 PM   #93
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
One single lane of automation can be easily copy-pasted with automation items, though?
yes it does but it is not practical because many reasons. It is my workaround tho. But sucks.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:05 PM   #94
EvilDragon

It's totally practical, what are those "many reasons"?
Old 07-30-2018, 04:10 PM   #95
deeb

Quote:
It's totally practical, what are those "many reasons"?
it is not! it would if used very few times per project, but this is to be used 1000 of times per project.

Takes many steps, and workarounds, different shortcuts to glue , split, copy clone etc.
Clutters the project, and many more issues.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:12 PM   #96
MikComposer

Quote:
can anyone comment on this? seems more useful:

Every user would have to do that script or download and customize? is this the right choice?

also it is not just gluing: Mute, toggle Mute, Copy and paste clone, Split, nudge and probably a few more

I didn't leave web dev for music to program even more. That's my view. If reaper will ever allow for this by default, then that would be a step in the right direction in my view. But overall, irritated to the max of the amount of tinkering is necessary to get reaper to some level of user friendlies. I do understand that it is a different story to those who got on board when reaper was v1,v2,or even v3, as those of you who done that had years head start and could learn reaper progressively. When I got on board reaper was at v4.15, coming from FL of which I wasn't even a power user, and slowly but surely learning about reaper, and scripts, and modifiers, and its bugs and quirks that been replaced with other bugs or never gone away, and it never got better for me. Over 7 years so far, already had enough years ago, but due to my shitty circumstances, health problems and such, I couldn't change it, but I also hoped that it would get much better, and in some aspects it did, but not by much. So now I have good new laptop, got myself cubase elements and I'm really happy how fast I can work in it. I would wish reaper would catch up, and first and foremost start looking deeper in to those rare bugs that can break your project, and than improve usability ( aka user experience), but I don't see this happening, even thought for a while I hoped it would happen sooner than later. And you know, getting personal, me and some people here had some rough clashes, mostly due to the sometimes harsh ways I'd express myself because of my inability to withhold my frustrations related to amount of stress I was going trough, (but obviously I don't hate anyone here), and they didn't encounter issues with reaper that T did, and enjoying working in repaer as it is, so I gave up. I spoke with Justin at some point about certain issue, send him some files and he took in on board, and nothing came out of it as of yet. So once I finally was able to move on, I did. And it's late hours over here and I am mumbling, so I'm going to end here.

EDIT @EricTbone Don't know if you ever encountered issues with regions, but they tend to glitch when you moving/copying them, and end up misaligned, as well as they don't nest well, and you can't grab regions that are under another region, so basically use them at your own peril.

Last edited by MikComposer; 07-30-2018 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:15 PM   #97
deeb

look how Range Selection works in Cubase:
https://streamable.com/7nrby

Last edited by deeb; 07-30-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:49 PM   #98
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Fucking hilarious. Because constant typos, screwed up interpunction and leetspeak is "plain readable". Get the fuck out.

lol-i care very little about punctuations,grammer or typo's as much i do for lack of features and functions. loud burp warning..
telling others to get the fuck out is the hilarious bit and of course you hardly follow your own protocols of staying strictly on topic.

pfft--your not looking good here m8- where as i really have nothing to hide behind,or defend--except a poxy ego,like you bruv.
care give an unbiased,fair and honest simple answer to a simple question evildragon?

cubase pro 9.5 vs reaper 5.93,which is the better right now for you?
Old 07-30-2018, 04:57 PM   #99
deeb

OMG discussing anything in this foruns leads to frustration.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:01 PM   #100
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
OMG discussing anything in this foruns leads to frustration.

rofl-that is reaper in a nutshell for some-frustration--
for others,the frustration is trying to describe the beauty of it.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:03 PM   #101
deeb

Quote:
rofl-that is reaper in a nutshell for some-frustration--
for others,the frustration is trying to describe the beauty of it.
no man! you are basically killing my useful and limited time
Old 07-30-2018, 05:24 PM   #102
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
you are basically killing my useful and limited time

rofl-bruv,your doing that to yourself i have no master other than my ego atmo.
i think cockos may be the same..no masters. ha g1.
+ as time is also a holographic overlay- 1 can have an infinate amount to play with really so-- let's discuss linear time instead eh..?

some are forgetting the 1st rule of troll club (like this type of thread encourages)
rule 1: do not feed the trolls,as they multiply like little gremlins past midnight.

honestly,i can only report in the last few- hours reaper has managed to record a whole heap of tracks for me-- so i don't actually give a shit what cubase is doing right now,or ever maybe,because i am focusing on jobs at hand- getting them done realtime.

it matters not what tools i use,so long i get what i like to do>> done--reaper+ other programmes does that for me-
wishing it was just 1 programme that does it all-to rule them all.making sense to all.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:27 PM   #103
D Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
Thats very nice man I'm happy for you. And its true that when you think of something you need to do, its almost certain that it can be done somehow with the will to find solutions. Its great. I think its even nice to participate in configuring your @perfect@ workflow. Reaper has led me to Walter to edit theme, then Autohotkey for shortcuts and now I am considering to learn c++ because I would never believe that I was able to code before. So this freedom got me searching for more and discover strengths that I have and didn't know I had.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:33 PM   #104
D Rocks

Quote:
If you are on Windows, one can write a script to move offending windows to the back.

(Besides the mixer, are there any other windows that sometimes block the view?)
Hey Julian, Thats really cool. For now I only noticed the Mixer Window getting in front of floating FX that I dont automatically think of putting "always on top". I could develop the habit to click always on top each time a new FX window is openned but I'll find a solution that does it automatically somehow until it becomes built-in.

What do you think could be done with the script you mentionned? It would be Lua?
Old 07-30-2018, 05:35 PM   #105
deeb

Quote:
rofl-bruv,your doing that to yourself i have no master other than my ego atmo.
i think cockos may be the same..no masters. ha g1.
+ as time is also a holographic overlay- 1 can have an infinate amount to play with really so-- let's discuss linear time instead eh..?

some are forgetting the 1st rule of troll club (like this type of thread encourages)
rule 1: do not feed the trolls,as they multiply like little gremlins past midnight.

honestly,i can only report in the last few- hours reaper has managed to record a whole heap of tracks for me-- so i don't actually give a shit what cubase is doing right now,or ever maybe,because i am focusing on jobs at hand- getting them done realtime.

it matters not what tools i use,so long i get what i like to do>> done--reaper+ other programmes does that for me-
wishing it was just 1 programme that does it all-to rule them all.making sense to all.
i won't see any of your posts anymore! : ) hope you get your life rolling on the floor with non sense.

PS: i got frightened when you said that one of my sentences had logic

Last edited by deeb; 07-30-2018 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:07 PM   #106
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
i won't see any of your posts anymore!

lol-this merely shows fear of the unknowns- that's ok,but you will miss info i + others may have to share: sometimes it actually helps.
people who block or ignore are also doing this to themselves: block anything they do not yet understand,or comprehend. (default safety net for ego) but this just halts the flow of informations,wether it is agreeable,or not.

please do not feel intimidated by any obnoxious forum styles- love is in the air- so please breath it in-out.
if cubase floats your bloat,or boat,then sail it- if it does not,then drop it like an anchor.
if reaper floats your boat-sail it-if not drop it as well- choices are there at any moment.

hold onto what works for you.
reaper is a gem for me and the value is priceless in total- even if it is still a wip.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:57 PM   #107
cubic13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luster View Post
What's the matter with input FX? My grief with those input tracks of Cubase always was the missing latency compensation - did they fixed that?
The probleme with an Input Fx is that you cannot bypass it : AFAIK, either it is active or we have to uncheck it from the Input Fx window list. After having done this, the 'Input FX' button remains as if it was still working : completely counter intuitive, in my view.

EDIT (and forgotten...) : I have to add that, for me, a mixer should show all what can modify a signal from its input to the master track : in Reaper mixer, there is simply no 'Input FX' slots area in it to do so...

Beside this, with input tracks in Cubase, we see right away the incoming level of an audio source and can adjust it without bothering to set a plug-in for this : for me, this IS a nice help for the workflow when dealing with things as different as, say, an incoming hardware synth signal beside a condenser mic one.

And about the latency compensation, I don't know but I don't remember this being a problem with input tracks, and I've been working with an amp sim on them for years, this with Cubase 4 to 6.5...

Last edited by cubic13; 07-31-2018 at 01:33 AM.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:00 AM   #108
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Leaving out capitalization, leaving letters out of words, inventing your own punctuation, constantly using slang that only you understand, etc. all puts an unnecessary burden on anyone who wants to actually understand what the fuck you're talking about and converse with you. So there it is.

ahahaa- that's right mudda funka-- because i am original. not a copy machine by intentions (only to learn.)

cockos are also original-and they do exactely what you just described in a sense with the way reaper is coded and is performing as.
btw erictbone.. how did you quote if you do not read anything? =confuser.kon
am seeing no dragon reply= must have 0 answer. (what's new here)

the old human programme is obsolete-the new human programming is 'well improved' it's universal mind,methods.
reaper is moving on-so am i,hoping we all do,in our quest for perfection,peace and righteous power.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:13 AM   #109
vitalker

Quote:
no man! you are basically killing my useful and limited time
You can go here and add him to your ignore list https://forum.cockos.com/profile.php?do=ignorelist
Old 07-31-2018, 03:21 AM   #110
EvilDragon

Quote:
am seeing no dragon reply= must have 0 answer. (what's new here)
Not worth discussing anything with a moron. That's right, I'm ad homineming you, motherfucker.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:27 AM   #111
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
add him to your ignore list
sigh--another illusion.. let's see how this grabs ya>

^ becomming 1 as source is the plan.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:03 AM   #112
EvilDragon

Preaching to an atheist.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:34 AM   #113
Luster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubic13 View Post
The probleme with an Input Fx is that you cannot bypass it : AFAIK, either it is active or we have to uncheck it from the Input Fx window list. After having done this, the 'Input FX' button remains as if it was still working : completely counter intuitive, in my view.

EDIT (and forgotten...) : I have to add that, for me, a mixer should show all what can modify a signal from its input to the master track : in Reaper mixer, there is simply no 'Input FX' slots area in it to do so...

Beside this, with input tracks in Cubase, we see right away the incoming level of an audio source and can adjust it without bothering to set a plug-in for this : for me, this IS a nice help for the workflow when dealing with things as different as, say, an incoming hardware synth signal beside a condenser mic one.

And about the latency compensation, I don't know but I don't remember this being a problem with input tracks, and I've been working with an amp sim on them for years, this with Cubase 4 to 6.5...
Thanks for insight. Good points regarding the missing visual feedback in mixer. Is there a FR already for this?

Like always, it depends on the workflow. Cubase input fx weren't usable for me because one SlickEQ and a Satin instance destroy the groove in relation to the rest of the song. The input FX button in the mixer in Reaper for me is just the reminder to be aware that there are plugins hidden. Maybe the upcoming wire diagram feature can enhance this field a bit.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:37 AM   #114
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Not worth discussing anything with a moron.

care to elaborate why you think that?
i thought the question was simple,direct,on topic..?

Quote:
Preaching to an atheist.
lol-not preaching or teaching anything-airing a few opinions and a few links hardly merits some of these negative,personally insulting___ responses..??
i do feel for all the lost souls that cannot find that divine light in their hearts-it is there,if 1 looks.

^both them replies are why the devs do not post off topic or air personal opinions-- they do not want to tarnish any product reputation or deface it's value from egotisical programming- which i can appreciate in some ways.
most companies are like this^ -i suppose cubase is no different.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:41 AM   #115
RobU

Quote:
Preaching to an atheist.

O.M.G.!
Old 07-31-2018, 06:40 AM   #116
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubic13 View Post
I can be wrong, but for me 'Input FX' is the way to change hardware output (MIDI/Audio) before it hit the DAW.
The same as adding an external (hardware/software) processor/insert into the chain.
I mean except audio gain adjustment, which is safer to do in the interface mixer app, there is zero interest in what is going on before 'Input FX' output. So I do not even understand why someone want to turn something off here, it is desired (and then it should be on) or not desired (and then should be removed).
For any other use cases, why not use normal FX? REAPER (unlike most if not all other DAWs) is sufficiently flexible for any routing wishes.

Quote:
From the perspective described before, the mixer should control the signal from the "DAW input" up to the "DAW output". And it does that.
It is impossible to use DAW mixer to control f.e. hardware analog amp input and 'Input FX' is in the same category (as a virtual hardware before the DAW).

Quote:
Till there is a possibility for hardware gain staging from withing the DAW (like S1 with Presonus hardware), what is the meaning of "adjusting audio source"?
When I have started with DAWs and after I have "discovered" a "Gain" knob in Sonar, I was mis-using it for a while :-/
Old 07-31-2018, 07:23 AM   #117
Softsynth

Quote:
look how Range Selection works in Cubase:
https://streamable.com/7nrby

It would be nice if they can get this right before Reaper 6, but I imagine that is on the list for 6.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:28 AM   #118
arcy

I have both Cubase 9.5 and Reaper.
Cubase has macros and Project Logical Editor that makes possible to customize the workflow. See JXL, Hans Zimmer and Trevor Morris touch screens plugged with Cubase. Also templating is deep enough: it is possible to save tracks preset, channel presets, custom mixer configurations, up to 10 marker tracks, chords track, arrangement track with multiple chains (with custom presets), Expression Maps out of the box and integrated pitch shift ala Melodyne that sounds really good! So, IMHO, both DAWs make possible to deeply custom the interface and the workflow. So, for me, the only two things that Reaper needs to improve is the user interface (I really think that it needs a restyling refactor) and, why not, an integrated articulation mapping tool.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:38 AM   #119
deeb

can anyone comment on this? this seems rather important:
--===================================
Quote:
If you prefer to use the same shortcut for both contexts, they can be combined in a short script that calls the one or the other depending on context.

--===================================

who does prefer different shortcuts dependent on context? and why so? what is the benefit?
Old 07-31-2018, 07:41 AM   #120
Softsynth

Quote:

I don't understand this sentence at all.
Closed Thread