Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 03-30-2018, 02:09 AM   #1
Monroy
Human being with feelings

Default MIx Busses. Where to put Slate Tape Machines?

Hi,

I've got few busses:
1. Drums
2. Bass
3. Guitars
4. Piano
5. Synth

I would like to put Slate Tape Machines to above busses. Do I need to put on every Buss at the end of FX chain? Or maybe just on Master Buss?
Monroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:06 AM   #2
Stella645

It's fairly common with these things that people start out trying to emulate an entire tape workflow which would mean putting one on every single channel (sometimes even 2 instances one for record to multitrack and one for playback on mixdown) and then another instance on the master to emulate recording the mix to tape.

Once the novelty wears off you may begin to to question if it is helping in every place you put it at which point you just take it off any channels you prefer clean.

it's also quite common to use a 2" deck for the tracks (or buses) and then a 1/4" on the master emulating typical mixdown machines from the past.

You might also do a search over at gearslutz where people including Slate himself are describing their favourite settings for channels/master.

Watch out for the low end boost (head bump)...not a problem mixing into it but too much if you already shaped your mix and eq'ed stuff.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 12:50 PM   #3
XoechZ

On single channels (or busses, which combine singel channels) I usually put the Tape Machine on first position (to emulate the track coming from a tape on which it was recorded).
On the Master Channel I place it at the end (but before the mastering limiter), to emulate the signal being printed on the final tape.
I have seen Steven Slate himself doing the same in several tutorial videos.
XoechZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 01:01 PM   #4
Monroy

Thanks for info. I will put Slate Tape on busses with 2" tape and on master before limiter with 1/4" tape.
Monroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 01:26 PM   #5
XoechZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroy View Post
Thanks for info. I will put Slate Tape on busses with 2" tape and on master before limiter with 1/4" tape.
Also take care of the "ips" setting. It can change your low end a lot!
XoechZ is offline   Reply With Quote