Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 08-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
jzucker
Human being with feelings

Default getting static/distortion on low frequencies

this is a very odd problem. Was using reaper402pre2_x64-install.exe. I've been using reaper 3.73 64 bit (and 32) and prior versions with no issues. Today I was tracking guitar bass and drums. Everything was going along fine until I recorded the bass part. The bass sounded like it was distorting even though the levels were 9db below 0. This was mic'ing an amp. Switched to direct in and same deal. Even with the levels ridiculously low. Copied the tracks to the clipboard and fired up reaper 3.73 32 bit. Pasted the other tracks and added a new track for the direct in bass part. No noise, no static, no distortion. Sounded perfect. Tried it again with the mic. Again, perfect. No issues. No change in preamp or level settings.

I know this is not much to work with but for now, I've got to go back to 3.x
jzucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:36 PM   #2
jzucker

anyone?
Old 08-10-2011, 03:34 AM   #3
Some Guy

you may have been running Reaper in distortion mode.
Some Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:38 AM   #4
jzucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
you may have been running Reaper in distortion mode.
I bet you listen to Lady Gaga
Old 08-10-2011, 03:51 AM   #5
musicbynumbers

Pan laws perhaps?

Or could be a buffer preference causing glitching that sounds like distortion in low end? Is it a separate install? Perhaps if so look at both preferences to see if 4 is different to 3.

Also perhaps the new mix bit depth setting thingy in project settings is accidentally set to 12bit or something
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:05 AM   #6
jzucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Pan laws perhaps?

Or could be a buffer preference causing glitching that sounds like distortion in low end? Is it a separate install? Perhaps if so look at both preferences to see if 4 is different to 3.

Also perhaps the new mix bit depth setting thingy in project settings is accidentally set to 12bit or something
thanks. I did discover that it's the recording process causing the issue, because after recorded with 3.73 it plays back with release 4 ok
Old 08-10-2011, 08:09 AM   #7
dr_After

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzucker View Post
thanks. I did discover that it's the recording process causing the issue, because after recorded with 3.73 it plays back with release 4 ok
Hmm, that makes me wonder. I recorded couple of guitars and vocals last months and sometimes I got the feeling (and performers too) that tracks were distorted. I blamed folders for that (thought that playing couple of tracks that are nested in folder can distort its output). But truly I never found what was the reason.
dr_After is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:11 AM   #8
schwa
Administrator

Some plugins, especially FFT-based processing, can fall apart with very low frequencies, causing a rhythmic thumping or motorboating sound.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:45 AM   #9
dr_After

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Some plugins, especially FFT-based processing, can fall apart with very low frequencies, causing a rhythmic thumping or motorboating sound.
in my case it wasn't static - It sounded like recording too hot signal. My audio interface didn't signal clipping though. It happened with vocals and guitars. But It can be 'human error' or equipment error - I cannot reproduce it.
dr_After is offline   Reply With Quote