Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 03-31-2018, 03:36 AM   #1
itm
Human being with feelings

Default Any latency issues with Alexis Multimix 4 USB or Behringer q502USB?

I'm thinking of investing in a 4-track USB mixer for use with Reaper, and have narrowed down my choices to:
- Alesis Multimix 4 USB
- Behringer q502USB.

It will be used to record and overdub guitar/mic/keyboards on a Windows 10 machine. Are there any owners of either the Alesis or the Behringer who can confirm whether there are any latency issues when overdubbing? (I want to connect phones to the mixer and use it to monitor playback while overdubbing)
itm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 07:03 AM   #2
Stella645

Do some research and make very sure it is even possible to overdub without re-recording the DAW playback onto your overdub track.
Seems to be an issue with these types of stereo record only USB mixer.

I don't know, maybe it's inexperienced users, but the manuals are never very clear on this either and nor are the responses from support staff on forums I've seen.

At similar price I would suggest you take a look at the Behringer UMC404.

Whether you will have latency issues depends on what you consider an issue. Like all interfaces there will be some latency and it will be higher than if you spent a grand on an RME, but that's not to say it won't be workable.
There should be direct monitoring options to bypass latency but if you want to record live through an amp sim or play a midi controller triggering a vsti you can't direct monitor.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 07:28 AM   #3
itm

I've previously used a Zoom R8 as a USB audio interface with Reaper (Windows 10), and had no problems with latency with overdubbing. I was hoping that I could find a USB mixer that would offer the same qualities.

As a matter of interest, why the recommendation for the Behringer UMC404HD? Is that something that you know from experience not to cause latency problems?
Old 03-31-2018, 10:03 AM   #4
Stella645

No I recommend it purely as it's the only 4 input interface at anything like the price of the other things you're looking at.

A mixer doesn't differ from an audio interface in the monitoring options. You have zero latency direct monitoring or you monitor through DW and have some latency depending on the buffer size and quality of driver.

Most budget devices should have similar latency performance to a zoom r8.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:08 AM   #5
itm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
No I recommend it purely as it's the only 4 input interface at anything like the price of the other things you're looking at.

A mixer doesn't differ from an audio interface in the monitoring options. You have zero latency direct monitoring or you monitor through DW and have some latency depending on the buffer size and quality of driver.

Most budget devices should have similar latency performance to a zoom r8.
Sorry - "monitor through DW"???

If the Alesis and Behringer have similar latency to the Zoom R8 then that would be fine for me. Hopefully an Alesis or Behringer owner can confirm.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:41 AM   #6
Stella645

Sorry....should be monitor through DAW. As opposed to direct monitoring the input.

Bear in mind the first thing I said to be wary of....if you buy one of those mixers and are not able to overdub don't say I didn't warn you.