Old 05-07-2016, 09:58 AM   #401
alextone
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by avoca View Post
Hi, there's a new version up (reaper_520rc3).
It has working Cockos VSTs and generic UI for other Linux VSTs.

And for those keen to try this out, i've tested with linuxsampler VST and used the java frontend Fantasia to load some .gig instruments into the plugin instance, just for one LinuxVST test example. It works and plays back instruments correctly, so far.

Alex.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:29 AM   #402
clepsydrae

This latest release adds ReaVerb to the Cockos VST list, which is great to see. :-) Are they all there now?

Many key shortcuts aren't working for me... i assumed that was due to the early release, but are others seeing that as well? Not sure if it's just some windows manager issue...
Old 05-07-2016, 10:32 AM   #403
sonnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
Many key shortcuts aren't working for me... i assumed that was due to the early release, but are others seeing that as well? Not sure if it's just some windows manager issue...
Same here with OpenBox.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:51 AM   #404
avoca

Quote:
This latest release adds ReaVerb to the Cockos VST list, which is great to see. :-) Are they all there now?
I think they all are, except for ReaSurround.
Old 05-07-2016, 12:30 PM   #405
eric71

Just to confirm, native linux vsts that don't really need their own gui, like mda and gvst, are working well - presets included. So good to see this quick progress.

edit: just a note that the TAL stuff that's been ported to Linux works fine too, like noize maker and Tal Dub3.

Last edited by eric71; 05-07-2016 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:35 PM   #406
alextone

This may seem a little premature, but is it close to time for a dedicated linux section in the forum?

Alex.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:53 PM   #407
WyattRice

Linux newbie question.

Does anyone know what sound cards would work with Reaper and Linux,
and what Linux version would be best?
Thanks in advance.
Wyatt
Old 05-07-2016, 05:24 PM   #408
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattRice View Post
Thanks in advance.
Wyatt
Might find some answers here: https://linuxmusicians.com/viewforum...de5e3de9c5f041
Old 05-07-2016, 05:41 PM   #409
hamish

Quote:
Linux newbie question.

Thanks in advance.
Wyatt
I've had linux audio on a couple of machines 4 years ago, and it was hell with pulseaudio and jack both running (in competition).

That's why I'm taking the advice of eric71 and going with AVLinux (it comes with jack only, no pulseaudio... and it seems REAPER is 'jack connectable')

I have an RME FireFaceUFX which I'm expecting will work over USB. (Although I'll miss TotalMix, that's for sure...) not looking good for the UFX, pretty sure it's not USB class compliant. Also no firewire driver is available yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric71 View Post
I'd recommend either Ubuntu Studio (comes with lowlatency audio set up correctly) and add kxstudio repos for all the latest audio tools (like Cadence for managing Jack and the Catia patchbay for connecting all those jack audio and midi ports to REAPER One other consideration is that Justin seems to be using Debian Testing (Stretch), and AVLinux is based on Debian testing, and also comes with the kxstudio repos enabled, a RT kernel, and everything ready to go. I think you can't go wrong either way, although the Ubuntu installer is quite a bit more polished and straightforward.
Also like to take this opportunity to thank you Wyatt for the fantastic DDP to cue writer tool you have provided for REAPER users.

Last edited by hamish; 05-07-2016 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:56 PM   #410
Veto

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
Could some kind soul take pity on me and offer any pointers to 'the most painless install for Pi method' ?
A bit late but as I understand this would be enough:
Quote:
1. Download REAPER (note the hyphen at the end):
wget -q -O - http://landoleet.org/dev/reaper_520rc3_developer_linux_armv7l.tar.xz | tar xvJf -

2. Download libSwell library and move it into REAPER folder:
wget -q -O - http://landoleet.org/dev/libSwell-armv7l-raspbian-jessie-gtk3.tar.xz | tar xvJf - && mv libSwell.so ~/reaper_linux_armv7l/REAPER
Btw I tried it on my old Pi B+ (armv6) and it did refuse to start, terminating with "Illegal instruction" which was kind of expected.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:31 AM   #411
eric71

I'll second Alex's experience with linuxsampler. Carla, which I usually use for loading sfz and sf2 instruments, doesn't offer any controls without a gui, although the vst scanned and will load in REAPER. So for now I have tried the linuxsampler vst with qsampler frontend. It is working nicely, and the settings are getting saved with the REAPER project - once things are set up and working, you can close qsampler, and need not load the sfz or sf2 files again the next time you open the project. I know there's still a ways to go, but it is already doing most of what I need in my normal workflow

A few minor things, some of which have been mentioned here already:

-The rotary knobs (like panning) in the default theme don't work right (this is with Xfce on Debian stable, but also seen on Ubuntu Studio 16.04. I've installed the REAPER 3 theme to avaoid this, since it uses sliders for panning. Wish it was still included anyway.
- Windows and file dialogs often appear behind other open windows
- I get an instant crash when I try to set up a control surface (when I select Mackie Universal from the dropdown selection)

Relatively minor stuff, considering all the other important stuff that is working very well already. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Happy Linux geek.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:06 PM   #412
michael diemer

Quote:
Linux newbie question.

Thanks in advance.
Wyatt
Many interfaces work out of the box in Linux. For example, my UR-22 was recognized by Ubuntu, Mint and Zorin and works fine.

As for the best distro for music creation, I have heard good things about Ubuntu Studio and AV Linux. But with U-Studio, you will end up installing a lot of irrelevant video and graphics stuff unless you do a custom install. I have yet to do any music creation on Linux, so I can't really recommend anything. (I'm waiting for Reaper's official release of the notation version, and the ability to actually run it on Linux easily. Which Justin is now working on).
Old 05-09-2016, 03:19 PM   #413
WyattRice

Thanks everyone.
Looking forward to getting Linux up and running one day soon.
Wyatt
Old 05-09-2016, 03:53 PM   #414
Win Conway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
http://landoleet.org/dev/ has an updated x86_64 linux build, as well as a Raspberry Pi 2+ build (both 5.20beta10).
Seriously, this is such wasted effort, no automation items but Lin......wait, did you say Pi build hahahaha
Will that work on a Pi 3 ?
Old 05-09-2016, 07:06 PM   #415
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
Seriously, this is such wasted effort, no automation items but Lin
It's not a zero-sum game, you know.

Quote:
......wait, did you say Pi build hahahaha
Will that work on a Pi 3 ?
Yes.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:55 PM   #416
brainwreck

Quote:
Linux newbie question.

Thanks in advance.
Wyatt
ALSA - the lower part of the audio stack - supports alot of sound devices. There is a list here, with each device having some details of what is working: http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Main

Using a distro pre-configured for low latency audio will probably be the easiest way to get going with audio, but then you will likely run into issues for general purpose use by using one of these specialized distros. I think it is worth the trouble of using a general purpose distro such as Debian, one of the Ubuntu spinoffs, Arch, etc., but to each their own. Generally, I would check that your device is working with ALSA using ALSA's commandline tools, so that if you have problems further up the line, you at least know that your device is working as it should be. Then check if Jack is working, for daw use (Jack rides on top of ALSA). Finally checking if Pulseaudio is working, for general purpose audio (Pulseaudio also rides on top of ALSA). Personally, I have had more trouble with Pulseaudio not reflecting what is working in ALSA, not making available ALSA supported features for my sound device, or not allowing me to switch between onboard audio and interface audio. I wouldn't bother with running a rt kernel for lower latency until you have all of this sorted, unless one of the specialized distros meets your needs for everything that you will be doing with the machine.

Edit: Oops. I almost forgot. There is also FFADO for supporting firewire audio devices.

Last edited by brainwreck; 05-09-2016 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:18 PM   #417
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
Edit: Oops. I almost forgot. There is also FFADO for supporting firewire audio devices.
...which plugs into JACK (i.e. you choose it as the 'driver' in the JACK config; FreeBob is the older version that ffado obsoleted). My Firestudio Mobile works well with ffado, though there are plenty of features missing vs. windows, and there is no mixer panel available for it, so using it for zero-latency monitoring would probably be impossible.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:36 PM   #418
hamish

After reading a bit on hardware I think the future for small studios with linux looks like 'class compliant' USB 3 interface with ADAT connected preamps.

I don't hold out any hope of FFADO producing a driver for my FireFace UFX.

That has put a damper on my enthusiasm. Also AVLinux, despite saying that it was all set up for JACK had MuseScore configured for Pulseaudio. Messed around for over an hour with a live CD on my lenovo laptop and still couldn't get anything out of it.

I'll look at Ubuntu Studio next time.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:41 PM   #419
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish View Post
After reading a bit on hardware I think the future for small studios with linux looks like 'class compliant' USB 3 interface with ADAT connected preamps.

I don't hold out any hope of FFADO producing a driver for my FireFace UFX.
Yeah, i've definitely got the "firewire is a dead/dying interface" feeling, and I haven't been following ffado in general, but there hasn't been any progress for my interface in years. (I've been told on this forum that the firewire/thunderbird adapters work great, but i wonder when/if that will be true on linux.)
Old 05-09-2016, 09:09 PM   #420
brainwreck

Quote:
...which plugs into JACK (i.e. you choose it as the 'driver' in the JACK config; FreeBob is the older version that ffado obsoleted). My Firestudio Mobile works well with ffado, though there are plenty of features missing vs. windows, and there is no mixer panel available for it, so using it for zero-latency monitoring would probably be impossible.
Here is a very brief overview of linux audio (directed at those new to linux who are curious about the linux audio stack): http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Docum...audio_overview

Having never used a firewire audio device in linux, I assumed that FFADO was kind of an ALSA equivalent for firewire. Where applications can be developed for ALSA, it looks like FFADO only exposes itself to Jack, not directly to applications.

Btw, I still don't understand why Pulseaudio exists, at least as a monolithic project. I realize that it allows for multiple applications to access an audio device, sample rate conversion, provides some audio funtionality for bluetooth devices, audio over networks, and probably other things that I don't know about, but it seems that these things should have been smaller separate projects, rather than what it is.

I guess the same is true for ALSA. It probably should have been at least two projects; one providing the driver stuff, the other providing a framework for applications.

Also, it seems that allowing multiple applications to access the same audio device, and sample rate conversion, should be part of ALSA (should not be part of Pulseaudio), with other advanced features provided by their own projects. Pulseaudio seems like a catchall of too many things, and features not provided by ALSA, and since Pulseaudio doesn't really do low latency, Jack provides it.

Last edited by brainwreck; 05-09-2016 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:16 PM   #421
mschnell

I am not an expert at all, so just thoughts....

Quote:
Having never used a firewire audio device in linux, I assumed that FFADO was kind of an ALSA equivalent for firewire. Where applications can be developed for ALSA, it looks like FFADO only exposes itself to Jack, not directly to applications.
AFAIK, ALSA is a subsystem that provides an API to applications and provides other APIs to device drivers. So I suppose that as well drivers (or driver stacks) that support Firewire devices, as those for devices with different hardware interfaces should attach to ALSA in the same manner.

Quote:
Btw, I still don't understand why Pulseaudio exists, at least as a monolithic project. I realize that it allows for multiple applications to access an audio device, sample rate conversion, ...
The "System" sample clock needs to be generated by one dedicated device. Hence it is not necessary or likely that ALSA supports multiple devices (ASIO also supports a single active device driver e.g. in Reaper). If multiple devices (introducing multiple I/O sample clocks) need to be supported at the same time, a resampling etc functionality needs to be provided. That might be implemented in the standard ALSA distribution, but it also might be necessary to be added by an external "tool" and same _might_ be Pulseaudio.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 05-10-2016 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:13 AM   #422
ibisum

Just wanted to report in .. my setup is UbuntuStudio 16.04, AMD system (4x), 16gigs of RAM, audio interface is two Presonus FP10 interfaces over Firewire. This system runs very well with Reaper on Windows (though I don't use Windows). However, I mostly use my MacbookPro with the FP10's, and Reaper for OSX. (Longtime Reaper fanboix here.)

So I downloaded the latest build, set it up with the symlinks, very easy to do .. and gave it a while .. within 10 minutes I've had two crashes of Reaper, however. Anything I can do to help debug this, or shall I wait for a new release? Jack and Ardour do exceptionally well on this rig, I've had nothing but pure audio-recording pleasure with the FP10's+ReaperOSX in the past, so I'd be very keen to help out if I can ..
Old 05-10-2016, 10:10 AM   #423
clepsydrae

In post #336 Justin said "Bugfix patches in SWELL would be appreciated, as would easily reproduced crash instructions, but don't bother reporting any other sort of bugs (there are thousands I'm sure)."
Old 05-11-2016, 05:36 AM   #424
anarchosaxophonist

Default Howdy.

Howdy. New to Reaper, and to this forum, but not to Linux. Has anyone successfully setup their MIDI keyboard/DAW with the latest native Reaper build for Linux? I have a brand new Novation Launchkey 49 I would like to setup, but the program keeps crashing during the configuration. Yes, I realize this is a developer build, but I just can't wait to get Reaper running on my Linux box.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:38 PM   #425
cyrano

Quote:
ALSA - the lower part of the audio stack - supports alot of sound devices. There is a list here, with each device having some details of what is working: http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Main
And that list is almost a lie.

When it lists a device as "supported", it usually means "playback at 16 bit, 48 kHz, 2 channels works. Recording is sometimes not even tested, let alone low-latency recording.

To sum it up:

- Older 2 channel, USB 1.1 compliant devices work. Plug and play. Max. 2 channels at 16 bit 48 kHz. But still, the emagic devices used to work, even with 6/2 I/O, but for some strange reason the support was dropped 2 or 3 kernel versions ago.

- Newer USB2 compliant devices usually work, but again at 16 bit, 48 kHz, 2 channels. Anything over that will usually not work.

- The same goes for Firewire. A lot of FW devices work, but some with only 2 I/O. And no digital gain, no switches for phantom power if these are switched in the driver and not by a physical switch and certainly no effects.

- Noteable exceptions: Some M-Audio, Roland/Edirol, Focusrite interfaces and almost all older PCI interfaces. But still no effects.

You might as well try the built-in audio of your motherboard, as these are widely supported and usually with all features.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:29 PM   #426
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
The same goes for Firewire. A lot of FW devices work, but some with only 2 I/O. And no digital gain, no switches for phantom power if these are switched in the driver and not by a physical switch and certainly no effects.
(just for the record, my 'unsupported' presonus firestudio mobile works fine from 16/44.1 to 24/96, all I/O accessible. The only thing lacking is a mixer panel for no-latency monitoring.)
Old 05-11-2016, 03:48 PM   #427
Win Conway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
It's not a zero-sum game, you know.
British humour, obviously got lost in translation !!!
Old 05-11-2016, 09:21 PM   #428
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
And that list is almost a lie.

When it lists a device as "supported", it usually means "playback at 16 bit, 48 kHz, 2 channels works. Recording is sometimes not even tested, let alone low-latency recording.

To sum it up:

- Older 2 channel, USB 1.1 compliant devices work. Plug and play. Max. 2 channels at 16 bit 48 kHz. But still, the emagic devices used to work, even with 6/2 I/O, but for some strange reason the support was dropped 2 or 3 kernel versions ago.

- Newer USB2 compliant devices usually work, but again at 16 bit, 48 kHz, 2 channels. Anything over that will usually not work.

- The same goes for Firewire. A lot of FW devices work, but some with only 2 I/O. And no digital gain, no switches for phantom power if these are switched in the driver and not by a physical switch and certainly no effects.

- Noteable exceptions: Some M-Audio, Roland/Edirol, Focusrite interfaces and almost all older PCI interfaces. But still no effects.

You might as well try the built-in audio of your motherboard, as these are widely supported and usually with all features.
There are some details there about what works and what doesn't. I initially thought that my interface had problems in linux, even though the ALSA page says that it is supported. It turned out that I was mislead to believe that playback and recording should work simultaneously when testing with ALSA utilities, which sent me on a goose chase (this was last year). It turned out that simultaneous playback/recording does not work when testing with ALSA, but after correctly configuring Jack, everything worked as it should.

I meant to dig further into ALSA, Pulseaudio, and Jack, and write something about configuration issues, but I haven't gotten to it yet. And when I do get to testing native Reaper, I'll probably have to jump through the same Jack configuration hurdles, because I didn't write any of it down.

I just got Debian testing installed on a new hard drive late into last night/this morning, after finding out that I needed to do 'apt-get install -f' to fix dependency issues that came up during the install. I'll try to configure my interface for Jack in the next couple of days (it does have full functionality, with the right configuration), before looking into why I had issues with libswell when I tried to fire up native Reaper this morning.

I also still have some laptop battery issues with Gnome to try and figure out. With a full charge, when I disconnect my power cable (this doesn't happen under KDE), Gnome's battery monitor reports that I only have a few minutes of battery life, and if I don't reconnect the power cable within about a minute, my laptop will shutdown. And if I immediately disconnect/reconnect/disconnect, Gnome reports that I have hours of battery life....but with quick successions of disconnecting/reconnecting, Gnome reports different battery hours, seemingly reporting random battery times, such as 4 hours 30 minutes, 3 hours 20 minutes, 5 hours 45 minutes. I probably won't be figuring this one out on my own.

The fun of linux....but hey, I think it is worth the trouble.

Last edited by brainwreck; 05-11-2016 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:32 AM   #429
brainwreck

I found that Jack info that I forgot to write down...it is linked to from the Jack front page (doh!). If anyone is testing their interface with Jack and having issues (after getting things right in alsamixer), try the steps listed here toward the bottom of the page:

http://www.jackaudio.org/faq/linux_rt_config.html

My interface is running like a champ with Jack. Testing in Ardour with Calf plugins, everything seems peachy.

My laptop was running on the hot side after initially installing Debian testing, but an update worked some kind of magic (I think it was specifically to do with the Nvidia driver).

My funky battery issue is happening with both Gnome and KDE under Debian testing. When I tested this last year with other distros, the problem only existed with Gnome, not with KDE (I guess I should be calling it Plasma these days). Any way, it might actually be a hardware issue with the battery (I have been told). The battery used to last nearly a full day, but after some abuse in use, it is only getting 2 hours tops these days (but I never got any funky battery reporting issue in Windows). I'm curious to see if a new battery fixes this issue. Edit: Despite a funky battery status, battery life is about the same as Windows on this machine with a battery that could definitely stand to be replaced.

As for running linux as a daw os, as I have found before across multiple distros, all is well with a little tinkering (and remembering what was tinkered with!). Ardour is a fine daw, but really, I need a native Reaper. Still no luck with getting past the libswell issue yet, but admittedly, I don't know what I should be doing here.

Btw, Debian testing with Gnome is nice so far. You get fairly recent software without the manual configuration required with Arch.

Last edited by brainwreck; 05-14-2016 at 02:28 AM.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:03 PM   #430
OutTheBox

Quote:
Linux newbie question.

Thanks in advance.
Wyatt
Hello
all class compliant soundcards

So nice to see reaper on Linux !
works on Ubuntu studio 16.04
reaper5 connected to Mixbus3 via Jack
so nice really zéro Xrun
time to say goodbye to Windows ?

Last edited by OutTheBox; 05-14-2016 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:22 PM   #431
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutTheBox View Post
time to say goodbye to Windows ?
As soon as all important plugin manufactures are convinced and offer Linux versions (To me most critical: SWS and Kontakt.)

-Michael
Old 05-15-2016, 03:15 AM   #432
OutTheBox

http://linuxmao.org/Carla
Old 05-15-2016, 03:15 AM   #433
alextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
As soon as all important plugin manufactures are convinced and offer Linux versions (To me most critical: SWS and Kontakt.)

-Michael
I'd like to agree with you, but i think NI will never produce a linux version. They're as anti-linux as MOTU and AVID.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:37 AM   #434
David Else

Sean Costello from Valhalla DSP seems very cool... I bet he could be persuaded to release on Linux
Old 05-15-2016, 07:50 AM   #435
avoca

Great stuff, elastique2 is up now, drop it into the Reaper Plugins folder. Seems to be working well

oh, a couple of segfaults, will investigate further...
Old 05-15-2016, 08:22 AM   #436
eric71

I have been playing a little bit with Airwave on a Debian system with Kxstudio repos installed, including their wine-rt package. I tried a few 64 bit and 32 bit plugins - not enough to make any real judgements without GUI, but they all were detected by REAPER and would load into a project. 64 bit Voxengo Boogex and Tube Amp wouldn't pass any sound through (although they do work nicely in Ardour 4.7). Another 64 bit multichannel drum plugin (and excellent value) - Adam Monroe's Beats, scanned and loaded. From experience using it on REAPER under Wine and with Airwave in Ardour, I know that the samples don't load until you open the gui - so I am not sure if it would produce sound or not. Some of my favorite old 32 bit plugins (copied over from my Windows drive) worked well, though. NuBiLE and Spinner worked well, at least their presets. FerricTDS also loaded and seemed to work.

So mixed results, but good news for those hoping to run their Windows vsts on a native Linux REAPER.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:16 AM   #437
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
British humour, obviously got lost in translation !!!
He may be very clever and Our Leader, but he IS still a colonist, y`know.....

;D
Old 05-15-2016, 10:35 AM   #438
eric71

Just noticed an "elastique2.so" file has appeared on landoleet.org. Putting this into the /REAPER/plugins/ folder allows ReaTune to use elastique and elastique options to be selected as the default pitch shift mode in the project settings now Continued progress
Old 05-15-2016, 10:43 AM   #439
avoca

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric71 View Post
Just noticed an "elastique2.so" file has appeared on landoleet.org. Putting this into the /REAPER/plugins/ folder allows ReaTune to use elastique and elastique options to be selected as the default pitch shift mode in the project settings now Continued progress
See 3 posts above yours...
Old 05-15-2016, 10:46 AM   #440
eric71

D' oh. I must read before I post.
Closed Thread