Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 04-11-2018, 08:47 AM   #441
clepsydrae
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHaroldA View Post
Well, it worked after I discovered that I needed to arm a Reaper track to be able to monitor it's input. That was the weirdest thing I encountered in Reaper so far
It's an optimization -- there are ways to disable this behavior in the prefs. I'm NIFOR, but look for something like "run plugins while stopped", IIRC?
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:45 AM   #442
MrHaroldA

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
It's an optimization -- there are ways to disable this behavior in the prefs. I'm NIFOR, but look for something like "run plugins while stopped", IIRC?
I don't need to run plugins while stopped, I need to monitor the input on a track without recording it.
MrHaroldA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:26 AM   #443
Jack Winter

It's standard behaviour on reaper that you need to recarm and enable monitoring to hear the track. IMO a good behaviour.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:52 AM   #444
Jack Winter

Some performance tips based on recent reaper development.

Set prefs->audio->buffering->thread priority to above normal.

You can play back more tracks at low latency without xruns if you enable the prefs->audio->buffering->anticipative fx processing->allow on tracks without fx option.

The new prefs->audio->device->disable power management option prevents the cpu from going into power saving states on supported systems (not quite sure what systems are supported), but it works on my two i7 systems (sandybridge/haswell).

By default the /dev/cpu_dma_latency device is only writable by the root user, to use this functionality you need to make it writable for your user or a group it belongs to. This can be done on most systems with a udev rule. Add a file called 40-pm_qos.rules to /etc/udev/rules.d containing this: KERNEL=="cpu_dma_latency", GROUP="realtime"

The filename could be different and you can replace the group name with another group you belong to. Also don't remember why I prefaced it with 40...

On my system after rebooting it the looks like this:

# ls -l /dev/cpu_dma_latency
crw-rw---- 1 root realtime 10, 62 Apr 11 11:35 /dev/cpu_dma_latency
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Old 04-11-2018, 11:00 AM   #445
clepsydrae

Quote:
I don't need to run plugins while stopped, I need to monitor the input on a track without recording it.
Ah, my bad.

Note that you can right-click the rec-arm button on a track and set it to "Record: disable (input monitoring only)".
Old 04-11-2018, 12:03 PM   #446
clepsydrae

Thanks Jack -- should that go in the Wiki?
Old 04-11-2018, 12:15 PM   #447
Jack Winter

Quote:
Thanks Jack -- should that go in the Wiki?
Probably, when I have some time

I also ought to update the how and where of the reaper config directory, and add the dependencies information...

Much as I like real life, sometimes it really gets in the way
Old 04-11-2018, 08:40 PM   #448
osxmidi

These are some things I've noticed (just my opinions)

VST3 is like they hired microsoft database programmers to write a audio/visual plugin format and the way they did it was awful and the takeup of VST3 has been very slow.

VST2 is like an old audio hack from the earlier computing days but it works and is all around.

LV2 is ok but VST2 is all that is needed for most things and is the most compatible with other DAWs that now exist on Linux and LV2 is not going to get much more uptake I would imagine.

When talking about plugin formats other than VST2 then AU would be the next down for the Mac and that's mainly because AU was connected to Logic and without that connection I would think that AU would have minor use and be in a similar position to LV2 as VST2 is just too established for any other format to grow much against it and then there are the DirectX and DigiDesign plugin formats and others.

u-he has had trouble with their VST3 plugins in the past and I don't know about the drumgizmo VST3 plugin but the drumgizmo VST2 plugin was stable and ok when I tested it.

From my tests with different Linux DAWs Reaper is able to get the best performance when running plugins and sometimes it's quite a difference and I'm not saying it because this is the Reaper forum, I'm just saying it.

Maybe some of it's due to Reaper's thread/anticipative features that Jack has posted about.

Tracktion would probably be 2nd in performance but it and Waveform are somewhat buggy.

Last edited by osxmidi; 04-11-2018 at 09:06 PM.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:37 PM   #449
avoca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
Some performance tips based on recent reaper development.

Hi Jack,
Thanks a million for the howto
And thanks to Justin for all these improvements!

avoca
avoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:33 AM   #450
reddiesel41264

HISE now supports export to native Linux VSTi!

http://hise.audio/
Old 04-16-2018, 11:53 AM   #451
David Else

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddiesel41264 View Post
HISE now supports export to native Linux VSTi!

http://hise.audio/
Great news! I had my eye on that project for a while.

Is anyone putting out high quality instruments using HISE that can now be compiled easily for Linux?

I am tempted to make a PolySix library, but it is so noisy and one of the voices has a wrong shaped envelope I realize I need it re-setup and modded... but i bet Behringer will make a brand new one any day now
Old 04-16-2018, 01:37 PM   #452
reddiesel41264

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Else View Post
Is anyone putting out high quality instruments using HISE that can now be compiled easily for Linux?
The only two commercial HISE releases I'm aware of are Hexeract, by Auddict, and Neo-soul keys.

I'm putting together an orchestral library in HISE. I've been recording for over a year, woodwinds are done, currently recording the brass, and I've recorded a harp. The library will be released when I feel it's ready.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:41 PM   #453
clepsydrae

Quote:
I'm putting together an orchestral library in HISE. I've been recording for over a year, woodwinds are done, currently recording the brass, and I've recorded a harp. The library will be released when I feel it's ready.
Great! Commercial or free/donation/etc?
Old 04-16-2018, 02:27 PM   #454
reddiesel41264

Quote:
Great! Commercial or free/donation/etc?
Commercial, source code GPL, not sure about what license for the samples yet, probably CC. I'm thinking of releasing the harp as a pay what you want but we'll see.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:29 PM   #455
clepsydrae

Quote:
Commercial, source code GPL, not sure about what license for the samples yet, probably CC. I'm thinking of releasing the harp as a pay what you want but we'll see.
Cool. Sounds like a neat, but long, project. :-)
Old 04-18-2018, 10:16 PM   #456
Matt Mayfield

Quote:
Just wondered if anyone is using git for version control with their Reaper projects? I noticed that the RPP format is text editor friendly so figured it would work with git and so far it seems to be.

It's a little slow though because small changes in a project appear to require a lot of deletions and insertions as far as git is concerned but just for keeping track of major versions rather than small changes it seems good.

I've set git to ignore multi-media, backup, and undo files.
I am, for one big project, but it's not very effective. None of the really powerful Git stuff is of much use - merging branches, resolving conflicts, etc. - because it's just too much text that changes to be human-manageable, practically speaking.

Basically all I use it for is as a version archive, as an alternative to naming everything with date/time, or worse, calling the file names like "Big project FINAL revised with edits FOR REAL FINAL THIS TIME version 2.1".
Matt Mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 02:07 AM   #457
reddiesel41264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Mayfield View Post
None of the really powerful Git stuff is of much use - merging branches, resolving conflicts, etc. - because it's just too much text that changes to be human-manageable, practically speaking..
Yeah I know what you mean
Old 04-21-2018, 11:12 PM   #458
acebone

Default Offtopic - sry ...

Hi, sorry for going offtopic for a little question, but this seems a good place to ask.

I'm running Win-Reaper (offtopic) under Wine (ah, smells a bit like topic again) on Ubuntu 17.10 - kernel 4.13.0 - lowlatency.

Code:
uname -v
#43-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT Wed Mar 14 16:20:01 UTC 2018
The lowest buffersize that I can get an ok performance out of is 256 - which will give me about 5-6 ms latency (depending on the number of buffers/periods and the samplerate). This is ok for playing guitar or running a VSTi - but the minute I put effects on, the latency starts growing and xruns starts flowing.

I'm wondering if a realtime-kernel will help me. I've searched the net for good tuts on installing an RT-kernel, and it all seems very confusing and daunting.

You guys think it's worth going for an RT-kernel?

(again - sorry for being offtopic)
acebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:16 AM   #459
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by acebone View Post
Hi, sorry for going offtopic for a little question, but this seems a good place to ask.

I'm running Win-Reaper (offtopic) under Wine (ah, smells a bit like topic again) on Ubuntu 17.10 - kernel 4.13.0 - lowlatency.

Code:
uname -v
#43-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT Wed Mar 14 16:20:01 UTC 2018
The lowest buffersize that I can get an ok performance out of is 256 - which will give me about 5-6 ms latency (depending on the number of buffers/periods and the samplerate). This is ok for playing guitar or running a VSTi - but the minute I put effects on, the latency starts growing and xruns starts flowing.

I'm wondering if a realtime-kernel will help me. I've searched the net for good tuts on installing an RT-kernel, and it all seems very confusing and daunting.

You guys think it's worth going for an RT-kernel?

(again - sorry for being offtopic)
It's all a bit complicated to explain Also haven't run reaper in wine for ages... That said a realtime kernel is unlikely to make things worse and will probably make them better.

I think to go under 256 you most likely need to do a few things.

1. Use a realtime kernel

2. Change the priority of the soundcard interrupt to something high like 95.

3. Possibly use the wine-rt patch (or wine-staging) with the right environment variables.

We discovered a few things torturing reaper for linux lately.

1. It seems better to run the worker threads at a priority lower than 50, this can be done on the linux version by setting the thread priority to above normal instead of critical. With wine this could be done using wine-rt/wine-staging and the appropriate environment variables.

2. It also seems beneficial to use anticipative fx processing on tracks that have no fx.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have, but don't feel like writing a complete tutorial on the topic right now

Also possibly worth investigating the native linux version and running windows vsts via the linvst wrapper.

P.S. Regarding the rt kernel it would depend on what distro you have. Some ship one others do not, but afaik there is a debian repo that ships a 4.9-rt kernel that ought to be installable on most debian derivatives.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:02 AM   #460
acebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
It's all a bit complicated to explain Also haven't run reaper in wine for ages... That said a realtime kernel is unlikely to make things worse and will probably make them better.
Thanks for an great answer, that of course raises some more questions

> 1. Use a realtime kernel

I'll explore the possibility some more, and then probably return with some newbie-questions

> 2. Change the priority of the soundcard interrupt to something high like 95.

In fact right now I use two soundcards - an old H4 Zoom to record voice and guitar and the onboard soundcard for playback. I'm not sure if the H4 can do both at the same time. Should I give them both a priority of eg. 95?

> 3. Possibly use the wine-rt patch (or wine-staging) with the right environment variables.

I'll look into that as well ... the right env. vars you say ... you know of a tutorial on that?

> We discovered a few things torturing reaper for linux lately.

Oh, you are mean and nasty people!

> 2. It also seems beneficial to use anticipative fx processing on tracks that have no fx.

eh ...fx-processing where there is no effects, I don't get it?

> I'd be happy to answer any questions you have, but don't feel like writing a complete tutorial on the topic right now

Thnx a lot!

> Also possibly worth investigating the native linux version and running windows vsts via the linvst wrapper.

I depend a lot on Sampletank 3, the only samplelibrary that I have. Also I am quite fond of the Voxengo line of free WinVSTs. How is the WinVST stability?

Will I be able to access the GUIs of various WinVSTs much the same way I do now, or will have to run them in a JACK-session (Carla, or similar)?

Another question: I noticed that higher sample rates gives considerably lower blok-latency - on my onboard-soundcard (intel I think) I get 5,2 ms at 48k but 1.3 ms at 192K. Of course the H4 Zoom will max run at 48, but if I get the Behringer I can run at that speed. But ... that seems too easy, there's gotta be a tradeoff or a gotcha of some kind?

Hmmm ... it just occurred to me: why not feed audio from my litte 5-chn mixer directly into the computer? If the internal card can run faster than the Zoom H4, that might be a better option, at least until I get the Behringer ...

Thinking aloud and asking a lot of questions here, hope it's not too much
acebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:22 AM   #461
osxmidi

Quote:
I depend a lot on Sampletank 3, the only samplelibrary that I have. Also I am quite fond of the Voxengo line of free WinVSTs. How is the WinVST stability?

Will I be able to access the GUIs of various WinVSTs much the same way I do now, or will have to run them in a JACK-session (Carla, or similar)?
I think Sampletank runs using LinVst based on some user posts.

Voxengo plugins run using LinVst but if someone uses the send EQ data to another instance feature then from what I've tried it doesn't work.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:57 PM   #462
Yehuna

Default Sync midi timecode/bpm with jack

Hello, I am new to this forum, and I hope I will do all forum rules right. If not please tell me...

First I am really glad that there is now a reaper version for linux. I use reaper in linux with wine for a while now, as I simply feel unable to become comfortable with the existing linux daw-s. My best fit was rosegarden, but as I used reaper in my windows time earlier, it is still my favorite. Also, I still have some bought win-vst-instruments I want continue to use, like spectrasonics omnisphere and ez-drummer, or the korg legacy series. These all run fine with reaper and wine.

After testing reaper for linux I found, now I can indeed mix my loved omnisphere and the other win-plugins with the linux instruments, I use zynaddsubfx a lot now, and phasex - these are my favorites. For routing I use carla-git, and for mixing I either use the non-mixer, or reroute the carla plugins back to the reaper audio input. This all runs fine up to 16 stereo tracks and several midi tracks, with a latency of 10 ms. My System is the new lubuntu 18.04, on an older i7 with 16GB RAM.

But now to my problem: Until now I was not able to let reaper sync with jacks timecode, or the other way around. I tried the alsa sequencer with the a2j ports, direct connecting reaper midi ports to the related inputs and also using an external time code generator, all with no luck. The only thing that works is to sync the instruments I can load as plugin in reaper directly, as instrument in new track. (Same is in reaper with wine, but this is probably related to the different operation system, so I don't care there). But every time code sending or receiving to a loaded instrument or effect outside of reaper fails. Time/bpm sending/receiving/synchronisation is active in both reaper midi output port and in plugins. I tested with win-plugins korg monopoly and omnisphere and with linux native zynaddsubfx and several native delay plugins.

Did some of you manage to do a time/bpm synchronisation to/from reaper linux with jack? Is there something I missed to setup the right way?

Regards, Joachim
Yehuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:05 AM   #463
4duhwinnn

Hi, and welcome to the forums. It's great to have new members
with their own successes and passions. At the link below, scroll down
about 3/5 of the page to a section, 'Jack Sync', there are
steps for several linux apps that may transpose to linux reaper.

https://libremusicproduction.com/art...g-started-jack

I noticed using 'qjack transport synchronize' for search terms
in google has a lot of interesting articles. Probably someone with
some direct expertise will have more to offer here in a while.
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:07 AM   #464
MrHaroldA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yehuna View Post
Did some of you manage to do a time/bpm synchronisation to/from reaper linux with jack? Is there something I missed to setup the right way?
Hey Joachim,

I think you are referreing to Jack transport, which isn't supported yet: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.p...t.29_supported
MrHaroldA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:19 AM   #465
4duhwinnn

Quote:
I checked earlier this evening, and using the windows Reaper 5.79
in wine 2.18, I had SampleTank3, Syntronic, and SonikSynth 2
sending their output to Amplitube 4.2, so I give IK high marks
for solid coding. There's a good chance they'll work in the linux
version of Reaper, but I can't verify at the moment.

I have a dozen or so wine over-rides, and an nvidia 9400
graphics card to help things along.

Several Voxengo plugins have been reported as working
if you backtrack in the thread, and plugins without pace
or ilok etc usually can be made to work, with a lot of
effort and shared knowledge. Even Native Instruments is
coming under domination, inch by inch.
Cheers
Old 04-24-2018, 01:00 AM   #466
Yehuna

Quote:
Hey Joachim,

I think you are referreing to Jack transport, which isn't supported yet: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.p...t.29_supported
Aah it seems I missed exactly this point - thank you. Then I will simply wait until this feature is supported and do at least the arpeggiator syncs by hand programming xD

@4duhwinnn: Thanks for your your explanation and the link - although for me it was nothing new in this it is a really helpful link for people who are new to jack or daw-s. Time sync with ardour and hydrogen works like a charm - but not with reaper. But - as MrHaroldA explained - this feature isn't implemented yet.

Quote:
From my experience the win-vsts which run in wine are quite stable. I never had issues with omnisphere, cakewalk rapture or ezdrummer. From the korg plugins, the 32bit plugins are running well and stable too, but I had some issues with some 64bit plugins - especially the M1 and Wavestation plugin failed to run. Omnisphere has a huge database to load - here you have to have some patience as loading is a lot slower than under native windows. But still not that long that you couldn't work with it. But I never had crashes with plugins running well.

Quote:
Yes, you have to run them in a jack session for now. I personally prefer carla, as there are a lot of possibilities inside there. When loading a plugin in carla or vestige you normally will have the normal UI of the instrument, and, in addition, a way more simple ui with all sliders used by the effect/instrument. Not all win-vst plugins are shown correctly - but there are only a few. A problem sometimes is the size of the ui - if you have a high screen resolution the elements can become really small, and the font unreadable. But this is also not very often.

Last edited by Yehuna; 04-24-2018 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:19 PM   #467
Yehuna

Heute habe ich es geschafft mein Timing - und Sync-Problem zu lösen: Die Lösung heisst jack_midi_clock. Dies ist ein kleines Programm welches in Carla-Patchbay den jack-Transport in normalen Midi-Timecode umwandelt. Damit ist es mir recht schnell gelungen native und win plugins in beide Richtungen von und nach Reaper zu synchronisieren.

Wer einmal damit herumspielen will: https://github.com/x42/jack_midi_clock
Old 04-26-2018, 09:51 PM   #468
mschnell

Sounds really interesting for me (German user). But most of the readers of this forum will not be able to follow non-English contributions

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:33 PM   #469
Yehuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Sounds really interesting for me (German user). But most of the readers of this forum will not be able to follow non-English contributions

-Michael
Eeeps - the language trap - my days are split up in two languages, and sometimes I simply forget which one to write - I am sorry...

Here is the translation:

Today I was able to fix my timing /sync-problem. The solution is a small program: jack_midi_clock. This small application converts jack-transport in midi_timecode and hooks in carlas patchbay with a midi out port.

With this I was able to synchronize the reaper transport with native and win vst plugins, or sync reaper with external time code. So it works in both directions, except that you cannot control jack transport itself. But for synchronizing arpeggiators or effects it works perfectly.

For those who maybe want to play around with this a bit, here is the link: https://github.com/x42/jack_midi_clock
Old 04-27-2018, 12:53 PM   #470
4duhwinnn

Quote:
especially the M1 and Wavestation plugin failed to run. Omnisphere has a huge database to load - here you have to have some patience as loading is a lot slower than under native windows. But still not that long that you couldn't work with it. But I never had crashes with plugins running well.
Hi, I'm trying to get M1 working, I started a fresh .wine,
added my over-rides, added the Korg Registry key from win 7,
added the win7 Microsoft.NET folder (it holds 4 versions of .net)
then copied over all the KORG folders
I could find to the matching wine locations.

When I start M1, it goes to the online registration screen,
I login, and can see M1 as registered and authorized,
but after closing that, M1 won't start (plugin or .exe same way)

So it looks like I need to add a few more things,
and maybe do an actual install. Would be great to winnn this one!
The Korg sound designers, and effects team are top notch!
Cheers
Old 04-27-2018, 02:46 PM   #471
Yehuna

Mmmh- that is strange. My M1 runs fine, and I neither use any kind of wine overrides nor any kind of .net. My system runs a pure wine...
Old 04-27-2018, 07:14 PM   #472
Justin
Administrator

It didn’t make it in the changelog but you can now sync reaper to Jack transport— right click the transport play button, enable sync, and for the input choose “jack”.

Caveat: it syncs to it the same way it does to LTC — chasing and resync, so maybe not the most efficient...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 12:55 AM   #473
4duhwinnn

Quote:
Mmmh- that is strange. My M1 runs fine, and I neither use any kind of wine overrides nor any kind of .net. My system runs a pure wine...
Hi, you posted:
"especially the M1 and Wavestation plugin failed to run."
so I have some questions,

Does this mean just the standalone M1.exe runs, but not
the plugin?

I bought the M1 Dec 2017 during the new 'Legacy Edition' sale,
by chance did you install with an older Korg installer, and if so,
what is the version and size, in case just an older installer works?

I received an archive, KORG-M1-kc_m1_win_172_3.zip which
extracts to a folder, Kc M1, which holds a setup.exe file
with size on disk of 95,469,568 bytes, properties last modified dated
December 25th, 2017.

Also which wine version, kernel, distro,
and install path are you using for M1.exe and M1.dll?
And which web browser completed the online registration?
Cheers
Old 04-28-2018, 03:08 AM   #474
Yehuna

HI, ok here are the answers:

My System is runnning Lubuntu 18.04 x64 with kernel 4.15.0-20-lowlatency
I also use the kxstudio repositories.

Wine-Version is wine 3.6 with wineasio from kxstudio (you need to change some symbolic links to get wineasio registered in wine as the new ein installs to a different location) / but also the earlier wine 2.x version works well. I use the standard x64 wine prefix and win10 environment.

My Korg M1 zip file is klc_m1_win_170.zip, registration is done via firefox browser.

For the installer exe I use the default path - my dlls are in a subfolder Korg in the main Vstplugins Folder. Vstplugins itself is located in my root folder as this runs on a ssd harddisk, which is much faster when loading some big wav files for my ez-drummer.

For the Korg Install itself I use the xf86 32bit version because - as I said - the 64bit versions behave really strange and crashes when clicking the interface.

I hope this informations help in some way.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:24 PM   #475
4duhwinnn

Thanks for the details, I'm sure it will be helpful
both for me and others as well!
Cheers

edit: How about any further M1 talk moving to the
more appropriate area?

https://forum.cockos.com/newreply.ph...te=1&p=1982198

That's where I'll update my latest Korg M1 situation.

Last edited by 4duhwinnn; 04-28-2018 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Move M1 talk to 'using windows instruments' topic
Old 04-30-2018, 06:07 AM   #476
lilith93

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. I recently switched form KXStudio 14.04 to Debian 9 + KXStudio repos. In KXStudio 14.04 the native REAPER version didn't run as the gui crashed, hanged, menu vanished etc.

Now I gave it (REAPER native Linux build) a try again under Debian 9 and surprisingly REAPER seems to be pretty stable. All plugins (except of amsynth) worked without any issues. I had some minor issues with HELM, but I could not reproduce them. I like the reduced design of REAPER and the fact that it starts within some seconds. I also checked out Ardour, Waveform, Qtractor before but now I decided to use REAPER as it works so well.

I have one question concerning the fonts. I already set ui_scale=1.2 in the ini file which made the fonts look much better. But it is still a big difference compared to REAPER under Windows. Somehow there seems to be no hinting. Is there anything else that can be done to improve the font?

Are there any plans to make Linux Reaper more official in future?
lilith93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:27 AM   #477
David Else

I am trying to help abique fix a bug on his Linux/U-he forum:

https://www.reddit.com/r/UheOnLinux/...bra2_rev_7359/

The new Repro 7359 version does not show up in Reaper running on Fedora 27. I have tried running Reaper from the command line, but no errors show up there.

Is there something I can do in Reaper to find the error that is stopping the plugin being found in the 'clear cache and rescan' process? Cheers!
Old 04-30-2018, 08:02 PM   #478
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Else View Post
I am trying to help abique fix a bug on his Linux/U-he forum:

https://www.reddit.com/r/UheOnLinux/...bra2_rev_7359/

The new Repro 7359 version does not show up in Reaper running on Fedora 27. I have tried running Reaper from the command line, but no errors show up there.

Is there something I can do in Reaper to find the error that is stopping the plugin being found in the 'clear cache and rescan' process? Cheers!
Posted in that thread (post the ldd output)

also, are you using a stock libSwell.so or building your own? if building your own, you might try make with PRELOAD_GDK=1 set on the command line.

Last edited by Justin; 04-30-2018 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:04 PM   #479
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilith93 View Post
I have one question concerning the fonts. I already set ui_scale=1.2 in the ini file which made the fonts look much better. But it is still a big difference compared to REAPER under Windows. Somehow there seems to be no hinting. Is there anything else that can be done to improve the font?
You can change the font-mapping in the ini file as well, by removing the comment "//" from the ft_font_fallback= line, and adding the fonts you prefer at the start. The fonts listed are the default order, so maybe you need to install one of them?

Quote:
Are there any plans to make Linux Reaper more official in future?
Someday...
Old 05-01-2018, 01:46 AM   #480
David Else

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Posted in that thread (post the ldd output)

also, are you using a stock libSwell.so or building your own? if building your own, you might try make with PRELOAD_GDK=1 set on the command line.
Thanks! I have replied in the other thread.

I am using the stock libSwell.so.