COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Other Software Discussion > WDL users forum

Old 11-14-2018, 04:53 PM   #1
Nonlinear
Human being with feelings

Default Cross Platform building and testing using "Virtual Machines"?

I understand that many developers are using "Virtual Machines" to build and test multi-platform plugins instead of actually having both Mac and PC systems. But it seems there are some issues with doing this.

I have found several websites such as these that show you how to set up a VM running Mac OS High Sierra on a PC:

https://www.pcsteps.com/2157-mac-os-...vmware-player/
https://techsviewer.com/install-maco...albox-windows/

Is this LEGAL? First of all they are using a copy of the OS image - which is copyright infringement - and then they violate the Apple EULA by running Mac OS on non-Mac hardware. I believe this process is known as "Hackintosh" and I'm not sure why these websites haven't been shut down.

Now, it seems the CONVERSE set up, however, IS legal - running a purchased copy of Windows OS in a VM on a Mac. Doesn't appear there are any legal issues doing it THIS way.

So, is this how it's mostly done - working on a Mac with Windows VM - or do most of you actually use two machines (Mac and PC)?

Last edited by Nonlinear; 11-14-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Nonlinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 04:45 AM   #2
gstuff

Strictly speaking not legal, but I'm not aware of anyone ever being prosecuted for building a Hackintosh or running OS X in Parallels etc. I think certain companies who tried to sell Hackintoshs commercially have though.
gstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 04:19 PM   #3
Bobflip

I can't speak for how it's mostly done, but I've been running a Hackintosh for over a decade. For both music production and in the last two years for coding. It's pretty damn stable too!

I also have a dedicated Windows laptop but it's a bit slower than my main desktop machine.
Bobflip is offline   Reply With Quote