Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 12-15-2018, 01:56 PM   #1
clepsydrae
Human being with feelings

Default ReaJS: linkable version for VST packaging of JSFX

I know this was discussed before (and derek.john.evans made an impressive conversion tool to C++ for JS which is apparently no longer maintained), but unless I'm missing something there is not currently an easy(ish) way to distribute JSFX as baked-in VSTs, correct?

I'm not sure of the technicalities involved, but it'd be great if there was some kind of linkable version of ReaJS that one could stitch together with a JSFX and churn out a proper VST.

For those of us intimidated by the incredibly steep learning curve to do it the old fashioned way (even with the various excellent plugin dev frameworks) the possibility of writing in JSFX and publishing an easy-to-install-and-use result is tantalizing.

And it's already so... very... close... Cockos have done the hard work of making a cross-platform script engine. We just need to ability to bake in some text.

And if anyone knows of a middle ground solution (e.g. maybe there's a way to distribute a VST preset along with the ReaJS dll and the JSFX so the user doesn't have to "load" the JSFX?) I'm all ears.
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 03:01 PM   #2
mschnell

IMHO this is not a Reaper Feature request (which is the title of this forum), as Reaper can internally compile and run JSFXes just fine. Only users of other other DAWs would benefit from this.

This might better be discussed tin the Scripting subforum.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 03:05 PM   #3
clepsydrae

True enough -- mods, feel free to move to the JSFX/plug-in forum if that's more appropriate.

Last edited by clepsydrae; 12-15-2018 at 03:26 PM.
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote