Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-19-2008, 10:49 AM   #1
Xenakios
Human being with feelings

Default Extension commands plugin, now with Take Mixer (still Beta)

This has all the previous things, plus the new Take Mixer, I hope it's pretty self-explanatory :

Updated, now Take Mixer with themed faders.

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/1421/reaper...s_commands.dll

ps. And for Cablebob, "Toggle selected tracks visible in mixer", let me know if it works like it should.

Last edited by Xenakios; 06-22-2008 at 01:49 AM.
Xenakios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:58 AM   #2
Tallisman

really awesome crap in here bros!
very cool extensions to an already great app!

.t

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:21 PM   #3
Xenakios

Seems it's probably possible to get the themed faders working for the take mixer, nice!
Old 06-19-2008, 02:38 PM   #4
Stephan326

I am only able to get the take mixer to work with one take.
Stephan326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:40 PM   #5
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan326 View Post
I am only able to get the take mixer to work with one take.
Don't confuse items and takes of Reaper. The take mixer only works with one selected item (at the moment) which has several takes in it. But if you are already doing it like that and it doesn't work, can you please be more spesific how it doesn't work etc?
Old 06-19-2008, 02:50 PM   #6
Stephan326

I was expecting if a track has 5 takes in it I could select all 5 and would have 5 volumes , 5 pans . Or I would select the track with the 5 takes and it would show all volumes and pans. Is that not the intention. please explain if not so I can set it up correctly.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:55 PM   #7
Xenakios

Quote:
I was expecting if a track has 5 takes in it I could select all 5 and would have 5 volumes , 5 pans . Or I would select the track with the 5 takes and it would show all volumes and pans. Is that not the intention. please explain if not so I can set it up correctly.
Ok, you are confusing Reaper's items and takes. This doesn't work like that, with the items, only when there are multiple takes in one item. It gets pretty damned complicated for multiple items with multiple takes, but I might look at how feasible it would be to do that. The original intention here wasn't comprehensive support for multiple selected items.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:02 PM   #8
Stephan326

So are the takes lined up under each other? Because I have 1 track
On that track there are 5 clips lined up in layers. they are lined up top to bottom not end to end. I am confused....
Old 06-19-2008, 03:07 PM   #9
Xenakios

Quote:
So are the takes lined up under each other? Because I have 1 track
On that track there are 5 clips lined up in layers. they are lined up top to bottom not end to end. I am confused....
If they are separate items that were recorded for example with the free item positioning mode, then this won't work. If they really are takes of one item and this doesn't work, then it's me who is confused, as it should work...
Old 06-19-2008, 03:31 PM   #10
Stephan326

So, If I set it up in FIPM to loop it will only see each clip as one recording or set of takes. So I have to set it to No FIPM then play all takes after the first take is recorded in order to do the loop recording while hearing each consecutive take and be able use the take mixer.the loop recording works fine while in FIPM. Play all takes does not have to be turned on at that point. Sorry for the confusion I just thought it would work different.

-S-
Old 06-19-2008, 03:38 PM   #11
Xenakios

Quote:
So, If I set it up in FIPM to loop it will only see each clip as one recording or set of takes. So I have to set it to No FIPM then play all takes after the first take is recorded in order to do the loop recording while hearing each consecutive take and be able use the take mixer.the loop recording works fine while in FIPM. Play all takes does not have to be turned on at that point. Sorry for the confusion I just thought it would work different.

-S-
Sure, no problem.

You probably just need something else, this was mostly envisioned based on Lawrence's feature request.

You do know, for example, the individual items already have the volume handles, right?
Old 06-19-2008, 03:46 PM   #12
Stephan326

I wanted it mostly for panning. what are the volume handles?
Old 06-19-2008, 03:50 PM   #13
Xenakios

Quote:
I wanted it mostly for panning. what are the volume handles?
They are at the top of the items, invisible basically at the default volume setting.

I guess I could make this Take Mixer work with multiple items so that it shows and manipulates the active/selected takes of each selected item.

I'd like to avoid the headaches of handling multiple items with multiple takes as that could grow the mixer so huge and so on...
Old 06-19-2008, 04:45 PM   #14
Bevosss

Very cool Xenakios...thanks again!

Hey, what does 'open associated reaper project of item' do? I get 'there was an error opening the specified project' when I try it on an item.
Bevosss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 05:02 PM   #15
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevosss View Post
Very cool Xenakios...thanks again!

Hey, what does 'open associated reaper project of item' do? I get 'there was an error opening the specified project' when I try it on an item.
So you render a file called "MyRender.wav" and in the render dialog check the option to "save a copy of current project" to a file "MyRender.wav.RPP". If then using this "open associated..." command from another project, and the project copy (named exactly like that, "outfile.wav.RPP") is found in the same directory, the project copy should open in a new Reaper instance.

It is just a workaround to certain situations that can arise with the project file names embedded in the BWAV info. (This command circumvents using the BWAV info.)

Oh, and I've forgot about the additional external editors...But hmm, it seems the new Reaper version actually might have a general solution to this. Check it out, if it works with MIDI! (hint : CTRL+ALT+drag media items to another application... )

Last edited by Xenakios; 06-19-2008 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:27 PM   #16
Bevosss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
(hint : CTRL+ALT+drag media items to another application... )
Hey that works! I dragged an item to another instance of Reaper and it rendered it.

It only works with the first take though, take2/3 and on etc, it only creats a tiny sliver of a file...
Old 06-19-2008, 08:38 PM   #17
Bevosss

Man, this takes mixer is so cool!

What would be great is if we could have 'show all items in lanes' work PER ITEM.

OR, possibly better, this option: 'show all items in lanes (if 'play all takes' is enabled)'

Because normally I turn that off so it's neater on the screen, but in the case of 'play all takes', I would like to see that they are enabled.

I don't suppose there's an api for this, Xenakios?

btw check out the mixer after 'pan takes symmetrically'...looks good in pseudo-OSX, doesn't it?

Old 06-19-2008, 08:53 PM   #18
Bevosss

May I suggest a button on the takes mixer for 'Pan takes Symetrically'? I'd definitely use it there.

Plus just thought I'd mention, it's cool that as soon as you press ok, 'play all takes' is enabled...saves you doing another action.

Last edited by Bevosss; 06-19-2008 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:19 PM   #19
Xenakios

Quote:
May I suggest a button on the takes mixer for 'Pan takes Symetrically'? I'd definitely use it there.

Plus just thought I'd mention, it's cool that as soon as you press ok, 'play all takes' is enabled...saves you doing another action.
Yeah, I can add "pan takes symmetrically" and "invert pan positions" and stuff...

Yes, I thought it could save an extra step to make it automatically set the item to "play all takes", it would not really make sense to NOT have it that way...Or maybe it would...But for the majority of cases, I'll prefer it that way. (If one really wants to tweak the take parameters and still NOT to have them all playback, he can just set "play all takes" off manually, heheh...)

About the "show takes in lanes" per item thing...I'd like that myself, but there's not really a way to implement that from the extension APIs...
Old 06-19-2008, 09:28 PM   #20
Bevosss

Quote:
Yeah, I can add "pan takes symmetrically" and "invert pan positions" and stuff...
Ahh cool! Looking forward to it...

Quote:
About the "show takes in lanes" per item thing...I'd like that myself, but there's not really a way to implement that from the extension APIs...
Blast! Maybe Justin will introduce that now you have a takes mixer happening.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:12 PM   #21
keyman_sam

Xenakios - slightly OT, but can you integrate ReaBin directly into reaper via this new reaper plugin scheme?
keyman_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:33 PM   #22
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyman_sam View Post
Xenakios - slightly OT, but can you integrate ReaBin directly into reaper via this new reaper plugin scheme?
No, not the old code, everything has to be rewritten. And I am just beginning to understand all the necessary Windows programming things...
Old 06-19-2008, 11:01 PM   #23
Xenakios

New DLL :

https://stash.reaper.fm/1420/reaper_x...s_commands.dll

-Take Mixer now uses Reaper themed faders. They may be a bit "bulky" looking with some themes but are easier to grab and drag, IMHO, than the Windows standard trackbars.

-"Scale item positions by static percentage" dialog now has a slider and on-the-fly project view update. I will probably update most other dialogs to use a similar system too.

Last edited by Xenakios; 06-19-2008 at 11:03 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:07 PM   #24
keyman_sam

Quote:
No, not the old code, everything has to be rewritten. And I am just beginning to understand all the necessary Windows programming things...
Just so you know, ReaBIN is now an icon in my desktop, near reaper. Its only a double click away for me. And its really quite useful! So please somehow integrate it into reaper!
keyman_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:12 PM   #25
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyman_sam View Post
Just so you know, ReaBIN is now an icon in my desktop, near reaper. Its only a double click away for me. And its really quite useful! So please somehow integrate it into reaper!
Ok, great you've found some use for the poor orphaned thing!

Please understand it was never "officially" let out of beta phase, and may contain some surprising bugs or wrong behavior which I am very unlikely to start fixing anymore. If there's some absolutely "killer" bug in it, I might do one more release, but no more new features...
Old 06-20-2008, 09:01 AM   #26
Lawrence

X ... you are my hero. GREAT JOB!

Very impressive.

Is there a way to get more pan resolution? I notice that panning hard L/R doesn't go full left or right. Not to complain, I love this thing.

Thanks.

Last edited by Lawrence; 06-20-2008 at 09:36 AM.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:11 PM   #27
Bevosss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post

Is there a way to get more pan resolution? I notice that panning hard L/R doesn't go full left or right. Not to complain, I love this thing.
It does here, 100% left or right...did you check in item properties?
Old 06-20-2008, 02:15 PM   #28
Xenakios

Quote:
I'll do a render test and check the audio output. Could be there's some kind of scaling problem in my code that makes the panning not go exactly right...

edit : Well, it seems over here that the panning does go 100% left and right. I wonder if there's still some problem, though...Maybe some themed faders won't go full left and right...?

Last edited by Xenakios; 06-20-2008 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:32 PM   #29
Lawrence

Quote:
I was just looking at the meters when I pan hard L/R, neither side goes all the way down.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:54 PM   #30
Bevosss

Meters are fine here too, I can't reproduce your behaviour sorry.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:04 PM   #31
Wolffman

Where do I put the .dll file ?
and is the take mixer in the reaper menu or where do i find it.
Sorry i'm fairly computer stuipd!
Cheers
Wolffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 04:15 PM   #32
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolffman View Post
Where do I put the .dll file ?
and is the take mixer in the reaper menu or where do i find it.
Sorry i'm fairly computer stuipd!
Cheers
You put it in "program files/Reaper/plugins", the same folder where you should already have for example reaper_wave.dll and reaper_midi.dll. After succesfully installed, Reaper should have a new main menu entry "Extensions", the new stuff should then be visible there. The take mixer is currently in the submenu Misc/Experimental. You can of course define key commands for all these new commands and find them from the Find Action list, too.

Oh, and this is still all Windows only (tested here with XP SP2), no idea when I will be able to even start with the Mac Os-X experiments...I've been told this should run in Linux under WINE, though.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:38 AM   #33
Wolffman

X, I've got it happening now, WOW there's a lot of other options in there to explore.

Thanks & great work the take mixer is a great idea.
Wolffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 01:39 AM   #34
Klemperer

...just a short one, the links for download didn't work as I tried right now - if I'm not too tired on a sunday morning and it's about the commands here, use

otherwise, ignore this (hicks;-))
Klemperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 01:51 AM   #35
Xenakios

Keeping track of what I've linked to where is too difficult... Ok, so now the DL link in the opening post for this thread is updated with the latest release. Which is this, as posted above :

Old 06-22-2008, 03:00 AM   #36
politcat

this looks cool. is it possible to automate vol/pan on the takes?
politcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 03:04 AM   #37
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by politcat View Post
this looks cool. is it possible to automate vol/pan on the takes?
No. It just uses what's already in Reaper for setting the take volume and panning. (That is, it's a static setting only.)
Old 06-22-2008, 03:54 AM   #38
bluzkat

X,

Just got around to checking out your extensions dll. This is really cool, you've been very busy.

Is there any documentation for this stuff or should I just rummage around in the forum to find the info?

Thanks again, your hard work is appreciated.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:59 AM   #39
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post
X,

Just got around to checking out your extensions dll. This is really cool, you've been very busy.

Is there any documentation for this stuff or should I just rummage around in the forum to find the info?

Thanks again, your hard work is appreciated.
Oh well the documentation...There isn't much. This stuff has just piled up over the past few months from my own whims and sundry feature requests by others. So me and the requesters know how the things work, could be a bit obscure some of the stuff for "outsiders"... I know that sucks and I should try documenting a bit more...
Old 06-22-2008, 04:18 AM   #40
bluzkat

That's cool. I'll just *play* around, I promise not to break anything. (he-he)

If I get really stuck and can't figure something out... I know where to find you.