Old 04-22-2015, 10:52 AM   #1
3li
Human being with feelings

Default NOOB NEEDS HELP!!

I need to know where I am going wrong. Hopefully I am posting in the right place.
Here is what I have;
a small Asus laptop
a Maudio Fast track USB interface
a TON of VSTs
a Guitar

I have successfully connected the guitar to the interface and then to the laptop. I can play through the laptop. But Reaper is not recognizing the signal. I am unable to use any VSTs. And I can NOT record the signal. In the same configuration I can record to Audacity but Audacity does Not support VSTs. What am I doing wrong!?
3li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:45 AM   #2
Grisemine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3li View Post
I need to know where I am going wrong. Hopefully I am posting in the right place.
Here is what I have;
a small Asus laptop
a Maudio Fast track USB interface
a TON of VSTs
a Guitar

I have successfully connected the guitar to the interface and then to the laptop. I can play through the laptop. But Reaper is not recognizing the signal. I am unable to use any VSTs. And I can NOT record the signal. In the same configuration I can record to Audacity but Audacity does Not support VSTs. What am I doing wrong!?
You need to select "Mono -> Fast Track Right" as input
You need to "arm" for recording
You need to set Record Monitoring On

http://i59.tinypic.com/2hs8e11.gif

Last edited by Grisemine; 04-22-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Grisemine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:55 AM   #3
3li

I set my input to Asio and selected M audio. Armed to record and monitor on. Still I only get a "dry signal" and no recording. My interface get a LOUD hiss when turned up near half way
Old 04-22-2015, 03:30 PM   #4
bluzkat

Right-click the RecArm button and select 'Record Output'.

Enjoy.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:23 PM   #5
3li

NOPE!And now I cant even get sound. I give up, Im going to reformat my computer. This program in my eyes is worthless. I have downloaded special programs. Invested in interfaces and this program that I need let me down. I can say this because the setup I have works fine on other software but not here.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:43 AM   #6
RobertP

I assume you enabled inputs and outputs in reaper Options > Preferences > Devices

You are giving up too early
Reformating is a catastrophic reaction in this situation
and this program is definately not worthless as evidenced by the sheer number of people who are not clamouring for attention with the same problem you are having.

Your investment is a solid one, stick with it
Old 04-23-2015, 12:57 AM   #7
whiteaxxxe
Banned

Quote:
NOPE!And now I cant even get sound. I give up, Im going to reformat my computer. This program in my eyes is worthless. I have downloaded special programs. Invested in interfaces and this program that I need let me down. I can say this because the setup I have works fine on other software but not here.
that is the right decision! 100thousands of people have no problems recording with Reaper, you have, so you blame the software.

what funny conclusion is that?? first thing is to assume, that you did something wrong. your interface hisses, means: audio comes out of it. so the question should be: whats wrong with the interface or me setting up the interface??? has nothing to do with Reaper ...

and reformatting a computer because you cant get an interface to work is ... well ... not that birght, to say the least. because it helps with none of your problems.

but, hey, you can do what you want ...
whiteaxxxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:42 AM   #8
ivansc

Have you both downloaded and read the free user guide?

I suspect that if you actually work through the quick start/setup section you will figure out what you did wrong.
And if you cant handle reading a manual, have a look at these:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq2...98HlB5mVFHGSsQ
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 02:02 PM   #9
cincikat69

Quote:
I can say this because the setup I have works fine on other software but not here.
So, you've had it a couple of days and this makes you the definitive expert... I'm curious to know what other software you are referring to?

Stop throwing a tantrum, take 20-30 minutes and go through the quick-start guide (at least). Follow through the steps and see where you are then. If you still have issues after doing your due diligence, then come back and explain further. Or perhaps just use one of the "working softwares" you vaguely refer to.

I'm hoping that you are not just another of the "button-tapping-instant-gratification-app" generation...
Old 04-24-2015, 10:37 PM   #10
foxAsteria

home recording is hard. have patience and rtfm. you only have to read the first chapter to get going.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:12 AM   #11
Grisemine

Quote:
My guess : iPhone generation ? Just reformat your brain, it would be enough.
Grisemine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:32 AM   #12
3li

The reason why I can say it is something in the software is due to the fact that. I have installed ableton free trial and it worked fine the first time. Also on Studio One. Also Audacity. Do I need to keep going. I feared this would be the problem. Someone shows frustration and Society lashed out based on what? Nothing, just wanting to be confrontational. Most of you didn't have anything productive to add. Now, to those that suggested the quick start guide and youtube tutorials. Thank you I looked at them before I posted and still I am having issues.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:48 AM   #13
ivansc

O.K. You appear to be getting a rough ride here, but it is partly because you ae venting rather than helping us help you.

A checklist that MIGHT help solve this.

First thing to do is launch reaper using the factory settings.
This IS one of the "launch" options.
At least this way we know we are dealing with a plain vanilla install with no accidentally-pressed buttons!

Connect a USB lead from the Mtrack to your computer and plug in a pair of headphones in the headphone socket of your MTrack.
Plug your guitar lead into one of the inputs and make sure "instrument" is selected for that input rather than "mic".
You might have to fiddle with the A/B button and.or the "mix control on your MTrack, but you should now be able to raise the gain on the input and see the signal LED go green when you play. If not, check the dumbass things, like the lead IS plugged into the guitar and the guitar volume is turned up! (we have all done it)
Hopefully you can now hear your guitar through the phones.
In one directio of the MIX control you should now hear nothing, in the other all guitar.

Next.

In reaper, go to Options/Preferences/Audio Device.
Select ASIO in the Audio System box
In the ASIO Driver box your MTrak should now be showing - if the Enable Inputs box is not ticked, tick it.
Once the box is ticked, you should see an entry under first, probably something like MTrack USB 1, then click on the last box and select the largest number you can find.
In your case it will probably only be MTrack USB 2, but that is OK.

Do the same for the output range and you will have set up your basic I/O configuration properly.
Next click on the ASIO Configuration button and Reaper should open the ASIO config screen for your MTrack.
This will show (among other things) your ASIO buffer size as it is currently set.
For the time being, if it is set to 512 or less, you are good to go. DO NOT try and set this too low to start with or you will have issues with recording.
Click OK to leave the setup menu and we can start looking at inserting a track in Reaper and recording something.
From the main page, go to the Insert menu and go down to the Track button, which will open a new track in Reaper.
The Input that you are using on your Mtrack should now show up on the bottom row of this new track. To the right of it is the Record Monitoring button.
This cycles through off, on and auto each time you click on it.
I set mine as Auto all the time.

With your headphones on and the mix control on your MTrack set in the middle (12 o'clock) position press the record arm button at the top left of the new tracks settings - it will turn red when you have this right.
Assuming you followed the above exactly, press the big red button on the transport controls at the bottom left of your screen and reaper should start to record whatever you play.
But remember you HAVE to either be listening with your headphones or have the main outs of the MTrack connected to an amp & speakers.
Let us know how you get on.

P.S. Here is a link I found on setting up the MTrack Plus in Reaper. Unfortunately it doesn't show the MTrack ASIO configuration screen, so I had to guess at some of the above.

http://m-audio.com/kb/article/1662
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote