Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 11-13-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
thouston
Human being with feelings

Default Axiom 25 users - How to map transport keys

I've done a extensive search, and found that a few users have mapped their Axiom MIDI/keyboard to Reaper's transport by using the 'Action' feature. I tried this and my A-25 wasn't sending a CC to Reaper's Action Editor.

I've recorded a couple of songs since I got the A-25 using several VST plug-ins, so that's not the problem. I know what CC the A-25 uses for 'Play', but still can't figure out or get the A-25 to map to 'Play'.
thouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:55 PM   #2
karbomusic

You can try this post. There is a preset in the Axiom that is already setup the right cc 147 if I remember correctly. It might be referenced in the manual as using it as a control surface or something similar. Anyway if you use that preset the basics of Axiom will work without programming anything in the axiom. If you can find then select that preset, try this afterwards:

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...2&postcount=26

Karbo
Old 11-14-2009, 07:03 AM   #3
thouston

karbo - thanks for posting...Is that preset in Enigma?

There wasn't a manual in the box, you have to access it online. I did find the section "Assigning MMC Messages to a Button', and went thru the steps, but still didn't map the transport keys.

I read that the encoders & transport are in group B, I tried (what I did) to map the keys while in group B, still didn't work.

I tried again under Actions (like you posted), in the MIDI section, selected Add, and pressed the Play button on A-25, still didn't work.

This is just a minor inconvenience, only because I have to reach over the keyboard, which I have on a stand, to click the Record button in Reaper.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:53 PM   #4
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thouston View Post
karbo - thanks for posting...Is that preset in Enigma?

There wasn't a manual in the box, you have to access it online. I did find the section "Assigning MMC Messages to a Button', and went thru the steps, but still didn't map the transport keys.

I read that the encoders & transport are in group B, I tried (what I did) to map the keys while in group B, still didn't work.

I tried again under Actions (like you posted), in the MIDI section, selected Add, and pressed the Play button on A-25, still didn't work.

This is just a minor inconvenience, only because I have to reach over the keyboard, which I have on a stand, to click the Record button in Reaper.
It was the preset number on the main axiom screen on the unit itself. Just punch in 17 and maybe press recall I think? But that is only for the sliders, push buttons and faders. For transport, I think you only need to make sure the Axiom is sending cc midi data to Reaper. In Preferences > Audio > MIDI devices > Input (the list on top is input)... Double click the Axiom entry and make sure both "Enable input for this device" and "Enable input for control messages" are checked.

Now open the actions list (Actions > Show action list) and find the action for "Play" and select it. Click "Add" at the bottm left of the actions window which brings up a dialog box. While this box is up, press the Play button on the transport. You should see the cc number appear or the dialog will disappear if set to do so. If it does nothing then Reaper isn't receiving the data from the Axiom but if you have already enabled input for control messages as mentioned earlier and the Axiom is showing up in Reaper it should work first try. Here is a screen shot of the actions window ready to accept a key command or midi message and map it to Play:

Karbo

Karbo

Last edited by karbomusic; 11-16-2009 at 10:07 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:43 PM   #5
thouston

Again, thanks for you time...

For some reason the Axiom or Reaper isn't responding when I press the 'play' button.

I double checked the settings, and loaded Axiom program #17, Advanced - Recall - #17 via Axiom keyboard..very strange. I can record fine with my A-25, so I know Reaper 'sees' it.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:43 PM   #6
karbomusic

Quote:
Again, thanks for you time...

For some reason the Axiom or Reaper isn't responding when I press the 'play' button.

I double checked the settings, and loaded Axiom program #17, Advanced - Recall - #17 via Axiom keyboard..very strange. I can record fine with my A-25, so I know Reaper 'sees' it.
And "enable control messages" is enabled? hmm... wierd...
Old 11-18-2009, 02:55 PM   #7
thouston

<And "enable control messages" is enabled? hmm... wierd...>

Duh, it wasn't. I had selected it, but didn't 'apply' the changes.

I really do appreciate your time helping me.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:09 PM   #8
karbomusic

Quote:
<And "enable control messages" is enabled? hmm... wierd...>

Duh, it wasn't. I had selected it, but didn't 'apply' the changes.

I really do appreciate your time helping me.
Suhweeet... I was rooting for you... Enjoy!

Karbo