Old 02-26-2017, 03:20 PM   #1
inarisound
Human being with feelings

Default PROPER TOGGLE BETWEEN WINDOWS

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!!

Can you please make a normal toggle between opened windows i.e

Mixer View // Arrange View // MIDI Editor

This is insanely inconvenient that on MAC "CMD + ` " is not working as it supposed to be in normal applications.

I am trying to toggle between Mixer View // Arrange View // Midi Editor almost 90% of my workflow time and it is just impossible to do!!!!

Every time I toggle between Midi Editor and Arrangement view MIDI editor stays on the top... same goes with Mixer View

Can you please make the Toggle between windows within application work as it is supposed to be by default.... so I don't have to assign different shortcuts for different windows ='(

p.s I am aware of "Toggle show all floating windows" but if you have Mixer View , Arrangement View and Midi Editor opened it will skip Mixer View!!!!

PLEASE MAKE IT WORK AS TOGGLE BETWEEN ALL WINDOWS using shortcut CMD + ` or windows ALT + `

If people never used these shortcut it will not effect them.... but people who use it it will effect them SO MUCH in a good way!!!!!
inarisound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 03:44 PM   #2
ivan.lt

It doesn't work on Windows either (last time I checked) but thankfully we've got the SWS Focus next window action. Is it available on Mac?

On Windows, the key would be Ctrl-F6, I'm not sure why you suggest Alt-`.
ivan.lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:06 PM   #3
uncleswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by inarisound View Post
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!!

Can you please make a normal toggle between opened windows i.e

Mixer View // Arrange View // MIDI Editor

This is insanely inconvenient that on MAC "CMD + ` " is not working as it supposed to be in normal applications.

I am trying to toggle between Mixer View // Arrange View // Midi Editor almost 90% of my workflow time and it is just impossible to do!!!!

Every time I toggle between Midi Editor and Arrangement view MIDI editor stays on the top... same goes with Mixer View

Can you please make the Toggle between windows within application work as it is supposed to be by default.... so I don't have to assign different shortcuts for different windows ='(

p.s I am aware of "Toggle show all floating windows" but if you have Mixer View , Arrangement View and Midi Editor opened it will skip Mixer View!!!!

PLEASE MAKE IT WORK AS TOGGLE BETWEEN ALL WINDOWS using shortcut CMD + ` or windows ALT + `

If people never used these shortcut it will not effect them.... but people who use it it will effect them SO MUCH in a good way!!!!!
Have you got any of these views 'pinned' (top right of the window's title bar). If you have then they will stay on top, as designed
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:57 PM   #4
inarisound

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleswede View Post
Have you got any of these views 'pinned' (top right of the window's title bar). If you have then they will stay on top, as designed
No, nothing is pinned. It's just a regular action (toggle between windows using CMD + ` or ALT + `) is not implemented in Reaper 5.34 correctly.

ivan.lt

Unfortunately this is not solution I am looking at... I really want just a regular toggle between windows that is implemented everywhere correctly except Reaper.... ='(
Old 03-01-2017, 09:07 PM   #5
inarisound

Default please!

up!

please, this is really important
Old 03-01-2017, 09:52 PM   #6
Fergler

How important it is is pretty subjective.

Try Screensets I think they should work like you want.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:25 AM   #7
inarisound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
How important it is is pretty subjective.

Try Screensets I think they should work like you want.

It is indeed really important if you are working with a laptop or on a small screen.

Screensets has absolutely nothing to do with what I am asking for since they are not solving problem of toggling between MIDI editor or other windows, it's just a creating different layouts for different workflows.

_______

Things like these makes Reaper impossible to be used by professionals...

you will spend more time to lookup how to configure/fix problem then actually writing/producing music.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:09 AM   #8
mccrabney

Quote:
hyperbole will destroy the world.

that said, i wish all REAPER windows were z ordered, alt-tabbable, and had the option to appear separately on the taskbar, like multiple instances of windows explorer.
mccrabney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:52 AM   #9
ivansc

Quote:
It is indeed really important if you are working with a laptop or on a small screen.

Screensets has absolutely nothing to do with what I am asking for since they are not solving problem of toggling between MIDI editor or other windows, it's just a creating different layouts for different workflows.

_______

you will spend more time to lookup how to configure/fix problem then actually writing/producing music.
Welcome to the forums! You really know how to win friends, dont you?

For future reference, what you actually meant was "This is really important for ME" Worth noting that you are not the only person involved in this dialogue, let alone the only person in the world using reaper on a laptop or small screen.
You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:23 AM   #10
Paul99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.
Could we make this sticky for all people that think the world turns around them?
Paul99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:40 AM   #11
vanhaze

Quote:

_______

I work on macbook pro for years in Reaper and never ever missed toggling windows.
And yes, i still can make professional music in Reaper, without window toggling
When you toggle windows, you basically changing how and what you see in Reaper, that's basically the same as using screensets, where screensets have even more benefits than window toggling.

If you mean the benefit of fast "swapping between windows" with only 1 keycommand,
well maybe you can swap screensets also with one keycommand, i never tried that, researched it.

Maybe toggling is important for you, it is not for me.
Thus, your statement about the importance of having toggle ability is highly subjective.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:52 PM   #12
juliansader

Quote:
up!

please, this is really important

The SWS action that ivan.lt suggested works fine (on Windows):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.lt View Post
... we've got the SWS Focus next window action. Is it available on Mac?

(It may be worthwhile to also take a look at all the other window-related SWS actions.)

Last edited by juliansader; 03-05-2017 at 03:57 PM.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:26 AM   #13
inarisound

You guys no fun.... this is such a basic and essential feature.... I am pretty sure a lot of you have been using Repaer since version 4. that's why now you have stiff minds.

I know that Repaer developed a lot since then.... and only suggestions like mine and other power users made Repaer creators to implement many great features that we have now.

I truly believe that basic function that is implemented literary everywhere should not be overlooked by such a fast growing tool like Reaper.

And even if we have some "workarounds"....it should not be even a case, we just need to have it from the start.

p.s on MAC there is no Action "SWS Focus next window", and yes I do have SWS installed.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:38 AM   #14
Fergler

Neither Logic or Pro Tools function this way, especially on Mac which is a single application tabbing system unlike Windows.

So.. what daws do this?

Btw is

View: Toggle MIDI editor windows

enough for your needs at least as far as MIDI editing goes?

Last edited by Fergler; 03-10-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:48 AM   #15
vanhaze

Logic Pro X has a "Cycle Through Windows" menu item, under menu "Window".
Old 03-10-2017, 12:08 PM   #16
ivansc

Quote:
You guys no fun.... this is such a basic and essential feature.... I am pretty sure a lot of you have been using Repaer since version 4. that's why now you have stiff minds.

I know that Repaer developed a lot since then.... and only suggestions like mine and other power users made Repaer creators to implement many great features that we have now.

I truly believe that basic function that is implemented literary everywhere should not be overlooked by such a fast growing tool like Reaper.

And even if we have some "workarounds"....it should not be even a case, we just need to have it from the start.

p.s on MAC there is no Action "SWS Focus next window", and yes I do have SWS installed.

Where is the facepalm smiley when you need it?

Illiterate, inarticulate AND arrogant all at the same time! Sheesh!!
Old 03-10-2017, 12:11 PM   #17
inarisound

Quote:
Neither Logic or Pro Tools function this way, especially on Mac which is a single application tabbing system unlike Windows.

So.. what daws do this?

Btw is

View: Toggle MIDI editor windows

enough for your needs at least as far as MIDI editing goes?

I bet you never used neither of these DAW or don't understand what functionality we are talking here.

If you open Midi Editor // Mixing View // Arrangement View and start Toggling with CMD + ` it will simply do so in both of these DAWs and that is exactly what I am talking about here.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:16 PM   #18
vanhaze

Chill dude, wrong attitude in your postings.

Yeah, the whole world knows now that you miss cycling through windows in Reaper, ok ?

People are just trying to help you here, giving you alternative workflows.
And yeah, we all do know these alternatives aren't the same a as cycle through windows.

Change your attitude in your posts, by all means.
Amen.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:28 PM   #19
inarisound

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
Chill dude, wrong attitude in your postings.

Yeah, the whole world knows now that you miss cycling through windows in Reaper, ok ?

People are just trying to help you here, giving you alternative workflows.
And yeah, we all do know these alternatives aren't the same a as cycle through windows.

Change your attitude in your posts, by all means.
Amen.
If I was asking for workaround or alternative I would've posted it in "Reaper Q&A" this board on the other hand is for "Reaper Feature Requests"

I am totally chill till the moment when everyone start to attack you and calling "self centered" when all I did was asked for request to add a basic function to improve Reaper for newcomers.

One of the biggest reasons why Reaper still is not #1 in the industry are combination of small things like these. Because it literary can do everything any other DAW can do and even more.

I personally really want to see Reaper become my #1 DAW but I can't now.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:47 PM   #20
Fergler

I'm drowning in this river you cried.

I'm an ex Logic 9 user. I know about window cycling, I wasn't sure this was what you wanted. I thought you wanted specific control between two or more specific windows.

For example you seem most concerned about arrange, mixer, and midi.

Well then.. I gave you a command for the MIDI editor, and the mixer has one too (toggle mixer). So you could set up an SWS cycle action for this if you wanted it all on one button (ctrl + '). Or, you could keep the two short cut approach (and put them next to each other on the keyboard).
Old 03-10-2017, 01:50 PM   #21
JamesPeters

Quote:
One of the biggest reasons why Reaper still is not #1 in the industry are combination of small things like these.
Tell us the other reasons too. Why stop now.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 03:15 PM   #22
vanhaze

Quote:
I'm drowning in this river you cried.

I'm an ex Logic 9 user. I know about window cycling, I wasn't sure this was what you wanted. I thought you wanted specific control between two or more specific windows.

For example you seem most concerned about arrange, mixer, and midi.

Well then.. I gave you a command for the MIDI editor, and the mixer has one too (toggle mixer). So you could set up an SWS cycle action for this if you wanted it all on one button (ctrl + '). Or, you could keep the two short cut approach (and put them next to each other on the keyboard).
This is actually a great help to a person assuming he is chill but he is not cause his mirror broke so he can't look into it and no matter what, just wants to make a point
about the Big Miss concerning cycling windows and wanting Reaper to be number One DAW, but no genuine Reaper user cares about that, cause they are too busy having big fun and feeling great happiness using Reaper, if it were DAW number 100 on the list.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:31 PM   #23
BRBWaffles

There are at least three different ways to cycle through windows in Reaper. You could reasonably argue that Reaper has this feature covered more comprehensively than most other DAWs. I don't really understand what the issue is. You can cycle actions, toggle hide/show for each window, there are screensets, there are macros, etc. Stop being so self important. It's a bloody minor miracle that any of the software you're using works at all. Get a grip.
BRBWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:07 PM   #24
richardj

Default +1

If any devs read this I really hope they work on Reaper window management.
I've tried the cycling keys people recommend (ctrl tab and ctrl ~) but they don't work for me to switch windows.

Window management is one of two reasons that I prefer working in FL Studio a lot of the time - there you can just hit F5-F9 keys to instantly swap between views and have them in the same position when you last worked on them. It's so convenient and fast.
richardj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:15 PM   #25
deeb

what makes my life easier working on laptop is having this shortcuts and Escape Key:
- View: Toggle show MIDI editor windows (ENTER)
- SWS/S&M: Toggle show FX chain windows for selected tracks
- Track: Show track envelopes dialog
- Track: View routing and I/O for current/last touched track

I just wish i had a Track Inspector tho, to unite last 3

Good luck!
Old 08-29-2018, 02:23 PM   #26
V1b3zman

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardj View Post
If any devs read this I really hope they work on Reaper window management.
I've tried the cycling keys people recommend (ctrl tab and ctrl ~) but they don't work for me to switch windows.

Window management is one of two reasons that I prefer working in FL Studio a lot of the time - there you can just hit F5-F9 keys to instantly swap between views and have them in the same position when you last worked on them. It's so convenient and fast.
Set 5 screen sets focusing on the editor windows you want, put them where you want them opened. set key actions to F5-F9. Done! Same behavior as in FL studio that you described.
V1b3zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 05:56 PM   #27
MonkeyBars

+1

Wow, this is such a weird quirk. Maybe it's because of Reaper being cross-platform, but I agree with OP that it's incredibly annoying that Reaper will cycle through all windows with alt-` EXCEPT the Midi Editor – which meanwhile won't go behind the Arrange window EVER unless hidden with a separate action. What is the reasoning behind that?

Last edited by MonkeyBars; 03-05-2021 at 06:08 PM.
MonkeyBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 10:04 AM   #28
TheseBareHands

I simply want to be able to click between the Editor and Mixer windows with the MOUSE, not a key command. Is this possible?
TheseBareHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 12:51 AM   #29
zigzag312

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1b3zman View Post
Set 5 screen sets focusing on the editor windows you want, put them where you want them opened. set key actions to F5-F9. Done! Same behavior as in FL studio that you described.
Screen sets don't work properly with MIDI editor due to this bug.

Poor window/tab management is my #1 issue with Reaper by far.

What is sorely needed:
  • a native way to switch between non-docked windows (alt-tab way of toggling by last used, not cycle through all of them) and
  • a native way to toggle visibility of separate left/right/bottom zones of docked windows.

Screen sets are a great feature, that should complement these two fundamental features. Trying to substitute this with screen sets only, doesn't work for all cases because of already mentioned issue, and because number of combinations (of window/tabs visibility/placements) grows exponentially, so trying to capture each useful combination becomes tedious/impossible (eg. you have a screen set that is almost perfect for what you would need at the moment, but you would like to just toggle visibility of left docked windows or just bottom docked windows...).

Last edited by zigzag312; 05-27-2022 at 01:44 AM.
zigzag312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 06:10 AM   #30
MonkeyBars

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzag312 View Post
Screen sets are a great feature, that should complement these two fundamental features. Trying to substitute this with screen sets only, doesn't work for all cases because of already mentioned issue, and because number of combinations (of window/tabs visibility/placements) grows exponentially
This is why we need Project-based screensets
MonkeyBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 05:59 PM   #31
liperli

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzag312 View Post
  • a native way to switch between non-docked windows (alt-tab way of toggling by last used, not cycle through all of them) and
  • a native way to toggle visibility of separate left/right/bottom zones of docked windows.
+1 for these please!
liperli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 11:05 AM   #32
krr

FWIW, while looking for a way to switch among floating windows, I found that the SWS extension has an action called "Cycle focused window". I mapped it to Ctrl+` and it works.

The cycling order logic is not as advanced as in OS-level switching of windows with Alt-Tab, but I can get to any covered-up floating window without having to search for it by moving other overlapping windows out of the way with the mouse (and thus also without messing up their positioning), so the action gets the job done nicely even if I have to press the keystroke quite a few times till I get to the needed window.
krr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 07:51 AM   #33
mu.c

Quote:

I bet you never used neither of these DAW or don't understand what functionality we are talking here.

If you open Midi Editor // Mixing View // Arrangement View and start Toggling with CMD + ` it will simply do so in both of these DAWs and that is exactly what I am talking about here.
Since many of you on these posts are going to be insensitive to what others find important (maybe not important for you in your workflow, but so for others) and since you dismiss what others are saying as outright lies, I will say, at least use proper grammar. Otherwise, please be respectful of what others are saying and don't insult people's integrity. Then maybe they will start listening to you too.
mu.c is offline   Reply With Quote