Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 06-24-2018, 08:44 AM   #601
shosty
Human being with feelings

Feature request: close jack server after quit.

I use the option to autostart jack on reaper start-up but that leaves you with jack still running once reaper has closed. I would expect that if anyone uses the autostart option then they would not want jack to continue running afterwards.
shosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:06 AM   #602
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shosty View Post
Feature request: close jack server after quit.

I use the option to autostart jack on reaper start-up but that leaves you with jack still running once reaper has closed. I would expect that if anyone uses the autostart option then they would not want jack to continue running afterwards.
If you use the jack start command (as opposed to leaving it blank), then it will close the jack server when quitting.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:26 AM   #603
4duhwinnn

That would be a good config option, but in my case,
after a Reaper session, I'll often have an editing/conversion
session using audacity via jackd, and then a pre-mastering
listening test using smplayer and vlc via jackd,
and if using harrison mixbus to master, that will also
use jackd.

I would suggest in the long run, to use the
qjackctl gui to launch jackd, as it has slots
for any chosen commands, to run before/after
jackd is launched, and there are some great apps
you can run concurrently with reaper, and record
the sum of outputs in a utility like timemachine.

or command

killall -9 jackd

which will end things pretty quick,
should you use qjackctl as an optional
workflow, until reaper can automate shutting it down.

Cheers
edit Hi Justin, your posting timed mine out...grrrr hahaha

Thankyou so much for Reaper, and then the linux port
to ice the glorious cake!
Cheers

Last edited by 4duhwinnn; 06-24-2018 at 11:30 AM. Reason: timing is everything
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:13 AM   #604
biopsin

Default lsp-plugins-vst 1.1.2 - [ERR] Could not find VST core library

Hi,
Tried testing lsp-plugins 1.1.2 today, but while scan for vst I get a bunch of errors on every plug : [ERR] Could not find VST core library.

Dep installed : glibc-2.26, libsndfile-1.0.28, cairo-1.14.12, Reaper 5.9.1.
Anyone know why?
Old 07-02-2018, 02:13 AM   #605
shosty

Do the plugins show in the plugin chooser? I seem to remember seeing that or something similar in ardour but they still appeared and were usable.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:45 AM   #606
lilith93

Quote:
Originally Posted by biopsin View Post
Hi,
Tried testing lsp-plugins 1.1.2 today, but while scan for vst I get a bunch of errors on every plug : [ERR] Could not find VST core library.

Dep installed : glibc-2.26, libsndfile-1.0.28, cairo-1.14.12, Reaper 5.9.1.
Anyone know why?
In which folder is the core file located and where are the plugins? You may check this thread as I had a similar issue recently:

https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic...t=Lsp&start=30
lilith93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:13 AM   #607
Tobbe

Default Cycle Action doesn't add from Action List

Hi,

Tried to add action from action list into Cycle Action but I get error message saying that I don't have Action list open, but I have. Anyone else stumble on this? or am I missing something else?

Reaper For Linux 5.92
SWS Extension 2.9.7

//Tobbe
Attached Images
File Type: png Cycle Actions_2.png (39.5 KB, 108 views)
Old 07-02-2018, 09:34 AM   #608
kytdkut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbe View Post
Hi,

Tried to add action from action list into Cycle Action but I get error message saying that I don't have Action list open, but I have. Anyone else stumble on this? or am I missing something else?

Reaper For Linux 5.92
SWS Extension 2.9.7

//Tobbe
I get the same error a shame because I was planning on using cycle actions
kytdkut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:39 AM   #609
thisissavo

I didn't want to start a new thread for this, since I don't think there will be much discussion on this.
Anyway: has anyone tried to build installation for NixOS? It's a derivation of Linux that uses nix package manager, and it differs a lot from other linux distributions.

More about it here: https://nixos.org/

I would try to install reaper on nixos, but i don't have that much experience.
More on how to write expressions for building packages with nix: https://nixos.org/nix/manual/#chap-w...ix-expressions
thisissavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:05 AM   #610
biopsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilith93 View Post
Thank you, symlink ../lsp-plugins-vst-core-1.1.2-x86_64.so to /usr/lib/vst fixed the issue!
Old 07-03-2018, 04:25 PM   #611
experimentfailed

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisissavo View Post
I didn't want to start a new thread for this, since I don't think there will be much discussion on this.
Anyway: has anyone tried to build installation for NixOS? It's a derivation of Linux that uses nix package manager, and it differs a lot from other linux distributions.

More about it here: https://nixos.org/

I would try to install reaper on nixos, but i don't have that much experience.
More on how to write expressions for building packages with nix: https://nixos.org/nix/manual/#chap-w...ix-expressions
Without knowing too much, other than reading some info on their home page, I don't see why it wouldn't "just work". Basically, NixOS would have to be using a dramatically modified kernel, which seems unlikely. REAPER for Linux is essentially just like a REAPER portable install in Winderps. No installation is required, and it automatically creates your configs in ~/.config/REAPER. Just unpack the tarball, and see if it will run.

With the way Cockos appears to be handling the Linux builds, I can't imagine they're ever going to bother trying to target specific package managers. There doesn't seem to be any reason to do that, since it only has one dependency that I know of (JACK - and it will still technically run without it). Normally, that sort of work is left up to 3rd parties to create packages for various distributions (either someone w/ free time or the distribution development team).

If you want an install that feels more permanent, I would suggest unpacking the tarball to your /opt directory - that's normally where user-installed software should go. Or there are some other conventions - I think some'ers in /usr/local or so (but I always use /opt so idk for sure the other common locations).
experimentfailed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:46 AM   #612
shosty

Is the issue with reaper disappearing after the splash screen going to get any attention? I can't figure out how to replicate it but it happens fairly often, right now I've tried to open it about 15 times and it has disappeared each time.

Running from a terminal doesn't help much:

./reaper5
jack: created client
jack: setting TIME_CRITICAL = 4
jack: activated client

Edit: It may have something to do with firefox. I closed it and tried reaper again and it worked first try.

Last edited by shosty; 07-10-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:38 AM   #613
reddiesel41264

Quote:
Originally Posted by shosty View Post
Is the issue with reaper disappearing after the splash screen going to get any attention? I can't figure out how to replicate it but it happens fairly often, right now I've tried to open it about 15 times and it has disappeared each time.

Edit: It may have something to do with firefox. I closed it and tried reaper again and it worked first try.
Oh yeah I get this issue occasionally too and can't work out the cause. I have Firefox open while I typed this and I opened Reaper without issue so I don't think Firefox is the problem.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:21 AM   #614
Jack Winter

Does dmesg offer a clue?
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:01 AM   #615
reddiesel41264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
Does dmesg offer a clue?
What is dmesg?
Old 07-11-2018, 09:32 AM   #616
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddiesel41264 View Post
What is dmesg?
A command that shows the kernel message buffer. Open the terminal and type "dmesg" or maybe "dmesg -H" to show it. It might contain some information that can offer a clue.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Old 07-11-2018, 11:22 AM   #617
reddiesel41264

Thanks, looks very useful. I got this

reaper5[18162]: segfault at 38 ip 000000000077221f sp 00007ffd0adfe6b0 error 4 in reaper5[400000+7ce000]
Old 07-11-2018, 12:01 PM   #618
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbe View Post
Hi,

Reaper For Linux 5.92
SWS Extension 2.9.7

//Tobbe
Thanks, fixing!
Old 07-11-2018, 12:46 PM   #619
dman

Default Help with SWS and ReaPack install on Linux Native Reaper

I've been running Linux Reaper pre-releases with impressive results on a variety of machines with different controllers, interfaces, etc. but I havent yet been able to get the SWS build or Reapack working. I'm pretty sure I have the plugin paths right and all, but is there something else I should check that would keep these from working?

FWIW, thanks a million for the native builds, including the 32-bit! I use them for sketching and preproduction experimentation on old machines that are now newly productive thanks to the lower latency and JACK integration.

D
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:39 PM   #620
Jack Winter

Quote:
Thanks, looks very useful. I got this

reaper5[18162]: segfault at 38 ip 000000000077221f sp 00007ffd0adfe6b0 error 4 in reaper5[400000+7ce000]
Unfortunately I haven't got the foggiest what means, hopefully Justin can make sense of it But in general a segfault means that a program tried to access some memory it shouldn't. Does reaper by any chance try to load a prj when this happens, my guess would be some plugin, as it would be really rare for reaper to have an error like this (but I suppose not impossible).
Old 07-11-2018, 02:56 PM   #621
reddiesel41264

Quote:
Unfortunately I haven't got the foggiest what means, hopefully Justin can make sense of it But in general a segfault means that a program tried to access some memory it shouldn't. Does reaper by any chance try to load a prj when this happens, my guess would be some plugin, as it would be really rare for reaper to have an error like this (but I suppose not impossible).
No project load, just opening Reaper. Could it be part of the plugin scanning?
Old 07-12-2018, 04:39 AM   #622
Jack Winter

Quote:
No project load, just opening Reaper. Could it be part of the plugin scanning?
That sounds plausible.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:43 AM   #623
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
I've been running Linux Reaper pre-releases with impressive results on a variety of machines with different controllers, interfaces, etc. but I havent yet been able to get the SWS build or Reapack working. I'm pretty sure I have the plugin paths right and all, but is there something else I should check that would keep these from working?

FWIW, thanks a million for the native builds, including the 32-bit! I use them for sketching and preproduction experimentation on old machines that are now newly productive thanks to the lower latency and JACK integration.

D
They ought to work if you put them into ~/.config/REAPER/UserPlugins/ or ~/.REAPER//UserPlugins/ which ever is the one you are using. Does the terminal output show something if you start reaper from the command line? And maybe double check that it's the right .so file (32 vs 64 bit).
Old 07-12-2018, 10:56 AM   #624
babag

testing using v5.70 on ubuntu studio and found a couple of things, one of which might be more general than a linux issue.

first, i tried to delete a volume envelope point on an item volume envelope by selecting the point and holding the modifier key (which turns to an x) and clicking the point. nothing happened. had to r-click and pick 'delete point' from the context menu.

second, and this might not just be linux, it may be a feature request, i tried converting a bunch of items that are on a track to wav files using 'batch file/item converter' option from the main menu. i used the wildcards '$track_$start' to get each item's start time appended to the track name. the result, though, gave me the start time in the format 'min-sec.ms' rather than the time format my timeline is set to display. i'd have expected either to get a choice (and maybe i just don't know where to find that) or to have the time format written to the filename to follow my timeline display format which is 'hmsf'.

thanks,
BabaG
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:30 AM   #625
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by babag View Post
first, i tried to delete a volume envelope point on an item volume envelope by selecting the point and holding the modifier key (which turns to an x) and clicking the point. nothing happened. had to r-click and pick 'delete point' from the context menu.
This might be your window manager eating the modifier key. For instance on KDE the alt key is the meta key, so alt-clicking on a window is used to move it around on the desktop. To be able to alt-click on something in reaper I had to remap it to the logo key. You'll probably find that some mod-key combinations get similarly eaten.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:49 AM   #626
dman

Default Help with SWS and ReaPack install on Linux Native Reaper

I confirmed that 64-bit versions of Reapak and SWS .so files reside in ~/.REAPER/UserPlugins/

Attempting to run the exectuable from command line returns the following:

dman@dman-Dell-DM061 /usr/bin/REAPER $ reaper5
WARNING:root:could not open file '/etc/apt/sources.list'

reaper5: command not found
dman@dman-Dell-DM061 /usr/bin/REAPER $

KX studio
Linux Mint 17.3 (Rosa)
GNOME 3.8.4 (Ubuntu 2015-12-02)
kernel 3.19.0-32-generic (#37~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Thu Oct 22 09:41:40 UTC 2015)

Maybe I need to try and build these from source for my system?

Many thanks for your attention.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:59 AM   #627
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
dman@dman-Dell-DM061 /usr/bin/REAPER $ reaper5
WARNING:root:could not open file '/etc/apt/sources.list'

reaper5: command not found
Try ./reaper5 or /usr/bin/REAPER/reaper5
Old 07-13-2018, 09:10 AM   #628
dman

Ah - looks like I'm missing something. .

dman@dman-Dell-DM061 ~ $ /usr/bin/REAPER/reaper5
swell: error calling dlopen(/usr/bin/REAPER/Plugins/elastique.so): /usr/bin/REAPER/Plugins/elastique.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
swell: error calling dlopen(/usr/bin/REAPER/Plugins/elastique2.so): /usr/bin/REAPER/Plugins/elastique2.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
jack: created client
jack: setting TIME_CRITICAL = 79
swell: error calling dlopen(libavutil.so.55): libavutil.so.55: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
swell: error calling dlopen(libavutil-ffmpeg.so.55): libavutil-ffmpeg.so.55: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
swell: error calling dlopen(libavutil.so.54): libavutil.so.54: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
swell: error calling dlopen(libvlccore.so.8): libvlccore.so.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
swell: error calling dlopen(/home/dman/.REAPER/UserPlugins/reaper_sws64.so): /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.20' not found (required by /home/dman/.REAPER/UserPlugins/reaper_sws64.so)
Error loading /home/dman/.REAPER/UserPlugins/reaper_sws64.so: (null)
swell: error calling dlopen(/home/dman/.REAPER/UserPlugins/reaper_reapack64.so): /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.20' not found (required by /home/dman/.REAPER/UserPlugins/reaper_reapack64.so)
Error loading /home/dman/.REAPER/UserPlugins/reaper_reapack64.so: (null)
Old 07-13-2018, 09:18 AM   #629
Justin
Administrator

Looks like you should build sws and repack on your system (they are built with a newer version of gcc which is incompatible with your system).
Old 07-13-2018, 10:07 AM   #630
babag

Quote:
This might be your window manager eating the modifier key.
thanks, jack. i do see the cursor turn to an 'x' when i hold down the modifier key over the selected point. wouldn't that behavior be missing if the wm (xfce) was 'eating' the modifier key?

thanks again,
BabaG
Old 07-13-2018, 10:14 AM   #631
babag

i did some batch renders using different methods and found some inconsistencies. not sure if it's the linux build or a general reaper thing.

between the 'render' window and the 'batch file/item converter' window there is some inconsistency. the tail setting was only picked up by the first item rendered using the batch window. all of the items picked it up using the render window. also, i had the 'write bwf ('bext') chunk' option selected but it was only applied when using the 'render' window and was missed when using the 'batch' window.

lastly, and not really a bug, maybe more of an inconsistency, i wish that there was an option (maybe there is and i haven't found it) to have the '$start' option wildcard for batch file naming follow the timeline's time display format. currently, at least here, it only shows 'min-sec.ms'. i always use 'hmsf' so i wish i could use that in my file naming.

thannks,
BabaG

Last edited by babag; 07-13-2018 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:45 AM   #632
dman

Indeed - looks like old versions of Mint (17.1 and 17.3) are going to be problematic for those plugins. On Mint 18.3 (with KXstudio) however, Reapack and SWS installed just fine. Thanks very much for the help! Now, stand back as I flex my new mixing powers. . . GRAAAAHHH!!!
Old 07-15-2018, 09:01 AM   #633
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by babag View Post
thanks, jack. i do see the cursor turn to an 'x' when i hold down the modifier key over the selected point. wouldn't that behavior be missing if the wm (xfce) was 'eating' the modifier key?

thanks again,
BabaG
I mean it's probably eating the alt-click. What happens if you make the reaper window smaller, does alt-click somewhere on reaper allow you to move it around on the desktop?
Old 07-15-2018, 09:10 AM   #634
shosty

Quote:
A command that shows the kernel message buffer. Open the terminal and type "dmesg" or maybe "dmesg -H" to show it. It might contain some information that can offer a clue.
I'll have to give this a try next time it happens. I'm pretty sure it is not segfaulting for me, it is there as a process and the cpu/mem usage looks like it loads the previous project.

One thing I have just noticed is absolutely terrible performance when trying to edit midi, both in the midi editor and with the inline editor. The playing audio glitches out as if there is a massive cpu load but both reaper's performance meter and ksysguard show only a small cpu usage, like 5-15%. I tried using more conservative jack settings but it makes no difference.

That said, it does seem to be jack related, using pulseaudio is fine. Also, it is not the song itself, as soon as the midi editor is closed everything plays perfectly.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:21 AM   #635
babag

Quote:
I mean it's probably eating the alt-click. What happens if you make the reaper window smaller, does alt-click somewhere on reaper allow you to move it around on the desktop?
yes. it does. is that a clue?

thanks,
BabaG
Old 07-16-2018, 12:57 PM   #636
Jack Winter

Yes it means that the Window Manager is using alt-click for something else, so it never gets to reaper. On KDE I remapped the so called meta key to the logo (windows) key.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:33 PM   #637
lilith93

Maybe it's not a bug but a feature?

In Reaper 5.90 the menus on the top open automatically when moving across them with the mouse.
In Reaper 5.93rc3 one has to click on each entry to open the menu.

Last edited by lilith93; 07-16-2018 at 10:14 PM.
lilith93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:24 PM   #638
babag

Quote:
Yes it means that the Window Manager is using alt-click for something else, so it never gets to reaper. On KDE I remapped the so called meta key to the logo (windows) key.
thanks, jack. that was it!

BabaG
Old 07-17-2018, 06:40 AM   #639
unius

Hi!

Some time ago was fixed the crash in Control surfaces. It's great
It remains to fix 2 more issues and will be very fine )

1st is simple:
1. Add Control surface (for example PreSonus FaderPort) with configured MIDI input/output ports
2. press Edit button
3. MIDI input/output no longer configured
4. press OK
5. press Edit
6. Control surface mode already another (in my case - Frontier AlphaTrack)

2nd more serious:
1. Add PreSonus FaderPort Control surface (and configure MIDI ports)
2. press any transport button in Reaper
3. the corresponding button lights up on the FaderPort device
4. press any transport button in FaderPort device
5. nothing happens
6. retry (4) again and again
7. after xxx attempts corresponding action actuate in Reaper
8. move volume fader in Reaper
9. fader in FaderPort moves accordingly and smoothly
10. move fader in FaderPort
11. fader in Reaper moves by leaps
unius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:38 PM   #640
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilith93 View Post
Maybe it's not a bug but a feature?

In Reaper 5.90 the menus on the top open automatically when moving across them with the mouse.
In Reaper 5.93rc3 one has to click on each entry to open the menu.
Thanks, fixed for the next build (it also is fixed in the public WDL, if you want to build your own libSwell).