Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 10-29-2018, 08:47 AM   #1
midiquestions
Human being with feelings

Default 5.941 & 5.961 - Audio crackles/drops after 2-3 min

I have used older versions of Reaper 4 and 5 on my current system (Windows 7, 16 GB RAM) for years without any significant problems.

For over a year maybe, I did not do any upgrades, but about a month ago, I installed 5.941, and I started getting a problem which was that, after a few minutes, the audio would start to crackle and then drop out completely, forcing me to restart. Restarting brought the audio back, but then it would crackle and drop out after a few minutes again. Alternatively, sometimes it would not completely drop out, but there would be a 1-1.5 second latency after the crackling subsided instead.

I tried installing 5.961 last week to see if it would fix the problem, but it's still happening. Any ideas?
midiquestions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:48 AM   #2
ivansc

Have you tried d/l-ing resplendence.com`s excellent dpc latency checker & running it WITHOUT reaper running to see if it highlights any problems?
Old 11-08-2018, 10:07 PM   #3
midiquestions

No, but I'll try that and post results. Thanks.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:29 PM   #4
midiquestions

OK, I downloaded it and ran it. When the system is idling, there's no problem, but if I run any programs involving audio (VLC player, iTunes, Reaper), the second bar gets into the yellow zone. It suggests a possible power source problem and disabling CPU limits in Control Panel.

For now, I don't know how to do any of that, so I've removed my secondary audio card, and it seems to have resolved it, but it wasn't a problem before I upgraded Reaper.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:27 AM   #5
ivansc

Reaper is real good at running while teetering on the edge of your systems capability, which may well be why this just reared its ugly little head.

If you go to Focusrite`s website, if I remember rightly there is a rather good doc detailing how to optimise win10 for audio multitrack recording and includes a section on how ti set up your OS to optimise power usage and cpu usage. You probably have less than 100% set in the power section of settings & may well have cpu throttling set as well.

At least with this lot set correctly, you`ll know you are getting the best possible performance out of your machine.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:52 PM   #6
midiquestions

Thanks. I'm on Win 7, but probably some of it will carry over.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:48 AM   #7
ivansc

Absolutely - I mentioned win10 because that is typically when most folks have problems - anything after Win7.

Mind you, another aspect of this is that you are, of course, using an obsolete, no longer-supported OS.

I will have to cast my memory back... been using W10 as a beta tester & never looked back. If I recall, you need to go into your settings menu and look for power settings. Go into customise and set everything to always on and 100% then save it as your ner power profile. ASll that should be in the focusrite document too.

Let us know if you need more help.