Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 11-04-2018, 06:52 PM   #1
JayJSE2
Human being with feelings

Default Odd memory/data leak when Reaper is left open

So first of all, sorry I can't give more information, but this seems to be quite an odd bug (affecting stuff outside Reaper rather than inside)...

Whenever I leave a Reaper project open for a few hours, the free space on my macbook drops by multiple GBs over time. A few minutes ago, I was getting low space notifications and only had around 150mb free (dropping gradually every few seconds) and after closing Reaper and opening it again, I'm now up to 3.39GB of free space (I should probably mention that all the audio files are on a separate drive).

If this isn't enough information to start fixing it, does anyone have any suggestions for system logs (or similar) to check to see what exactly was taking up all the space?
JayJSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:44 PM   #2
karbomusic

It sounds like you are a little low on disk space, have a fairly large project, and auto save turned on which will create a backup file ever ~n minutes.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:36 PM   #3
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
It sounds like you are a little low on disk space, have a fairly large project, and auto save turned on which will create a backup file ever ~n minutes.
That's what I was thinking too, but backups don't disappear when closing Reaper, so I gotta guess it's plugin related.

What plugins are involved, OP?
Old 11-04-2018, 10:51 PM   #4
_Stevie_

@Jay: is it similar to this issue?
https://forums.cockos.com/showpost.p...35&postcount=5
Old 11-05-2018, 08:40 AM   #5
Justin
Administrator

Yeah maybe some plug-in or script is recording audio to disk?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:27 AM   #6
JayJSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
It sounds similar, but not exactly the same. In my case, it only becomes noticeable after reaper is left open for a few hours, but it might be that they had less free space to begin with.

Here's the FX list for the project: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/34762/Scre...2017.06.10.png
Old 11-05-2018, 10:55 AM   #7
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJSE2 View Post
It sounds similar, but not exactly the same. In my case, it only becomes noticeable after reaper is left open for a few hours, but it might be that they had less free space to begin with.

Here's the FX list for the project: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/34762/Scre...2017.06.10.png
Try deleting half the tracks in the project. If the issue continues, repeat. If the issue does not continue, reload the project and delete the *other* half. That way you can narrow it down to the track, then do the same technique on that track until you get to the right plug-in...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:44 PM   #8
JayJSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Try deleting half the tracks in the project. If the issue continues, repeat. If the issue does not continue, reload the project and delete the *other* half. That way you can narrow it down to the track, then do the same technique on that track until you get to the right plug-in...
That's going to take quite a while, but in the meantime, I've been trying to figure out where the space is actually being used. I used GrandPerspective to scan the system, user and library folders (separately) both while at low disk space and after I'd closed Reaper and while it seems to confirm that overall there is a change in the amount of free space (around 4gb in this case), the 3 folders are exactly the same size before and after... So that seems to just leave the Applications folder...?

Edit: Just a thought, but if it is a plugin taking up the space, then would just removing the plugin from the project free up the space again? If so, it would be much quicker to remove plugins one-by-one from a project than having to load up a project, disable/remove some of the plugins and then wait a few hours.

Last edited by JayJSE2; 11-05-2018 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:04 PM   #9
JayJSE2

Right, so I tried deleting plugins track-by-track from a project that was doing this (after saving a new version of the project, of course) and found that some free space did come back after deleting some plugins.

The bad news is that it was on a track with a whole load of plugins:

CLA-76
Unfiltered Audio Dent 2
Doubler2 Stereo (bypassed)
MJUC
bx_cleansweep
MPhaser
Little AlterBoy (bypassed)
REQ 6 Stereo
Loudmax

And just in case there was a delay in the space being freed, the previous track I deleted had (although it was muted):

channel_strip_vu (js)
SSDSampler5

I'm pretty sure I didn't get all the free space back, so I'll carry on through the project and see if I can narrow down which plugin(s) is causing this.

Edit: ...or not. I guess I'll have to wait until it happens again.

UPDATE: just gone through this with another project and it seems like the culprit is SSDSampler (seemingly both 4 and 5).

Last edited by JayJSE2; 11-10-2018 at 07:41 PM.