Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 03-18-2022, 02:00 PM   #1
Oscrat
Human being with feelings

Default Suddenly AU plugins doesn't load

Slight panic here...

Overnight several AU plugins in projects I'm working on (deadline fast approaching) will not load: "The following effect plug-in could not be loaded"

The affected plug-ins include Valhalla DSP, Rare Signals, Exponential Audio, some iZotope (but not all?!?) and many others.

I moved from Logic to Reaper approx. six months ago and leading up to the transition I have installed plugins as AU, VST and VST3. This means that most plugins are – or was – available in all three formats.

But the same plugins – which have stoppe loading as AU – are suddenly no longer listed as VST and VST3 in Reaper. They were before and are still in the VST and VST3 folders. I've rescanned plug-ins twice. I've also trashed the VST and AU ini files. And rescanned again.

Other AU plugins load with no problems. Sound Toys, Zynaptiq, Fabfilter and Waves to name a few.

Only a few AU plugins – and this is another mystery – are suddenly loading via the reaper_host_i386 as if they are 32 bit. They are not. I don't have any 32 bit plugins installed on my machine.

Can it be some kind of permissions related problem? Or some other macOS security issue?

I'm running Reaper 5.61 on a late 2013 MacBook Pro with macOS 10.12.6.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Oscrat; 03-18-2022 at 03:41 PM.
Oscrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 07:35 AM   #2
Metrobot

I'm having the same problem. Many of my VST and VST3 plugins are suddenly not available
-They are in the folders
-I replaced the ini files and the plugins are available to load but won't load on startup
-'clear cache re-scan vst paths for all plugins' corrupts the ini file again and the plugins ar no longer available to load.

At the moment many of Reaper sessions are unusable.
I was at this for hours yesterday and today and have given up.
I hope someone has an answer
I'm using a Mac OS 10.12.6
everything has been fine till recently. I changed nothing.
the 'reaper_host-i386' opens on mine as as well I think I have some 32 bit plugins.
-Metrobot

Last edited by Metrobot; 03-19-2022 at 08:04 AM.
Metrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 11:46 AM   #3
Oscrat

Default Apple Update could be the reason?

Metrobot, do you know if you installed a very recent (March 14th) Apple device support update?

This one: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT213182

I installed it on the 17th. The evening before the plugins stopped working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metrobot View Post
I'm having the same problem. Many of my VST and VST3 plugins are suddenly not available
-They are in the folders
-I replaced the ini files and the plugins are available to load but won't load on startup
-'clear cache re-scan vst paths for all plugins' corrupts the ini file again and the plugins ar no longer available to load.

At the moment many of Reaper sessions are unusable.
I was at this for hours yesterday and today and have given up.
I hope someone has an answer
I'm using a Mac OS 10.12.6
everything has been fine till recently. I changed nothing.
the 'reaper_host-i386' opens on mine as as well I think I have some 32 bit plugins.
-Metrobot

Last edited by Oscrat; 03-20-2022 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-20-2022, 12:15 PM   #4
Corto59

I am in the exact same dilemma on my MacPro4.1 running OSX 10.11.6, whereas on my MacBookPro11.3 running OSX 10.14.6 all is good.
At first I thought the problem was Izotope Ozone, but now it seems to be a wider AU thing, Valhalla AU not loading (but certain Waves AU actually loading).
I must add that I made no changes whatsoever on the MacPro ; I just exported my projects in order to work on them while away from home, and on returning it was impossible to even launch Reaper ; I got the message "Can't get core function pointer", and I haven't got far with sorting that out, but it put me on the track of Izotope plugs...
I really hope someone can shed some light on this situation !

Last edited by Corto59; 03-20-2022 at 12:22 PM.
Corto59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 04:25 PM   #5
Metrobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscrat View Post
Metrobot, do you know if you installed a very recent (March 14th) Apple device support update?

This one: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT213182

I installed it on the 17th. The evening before the plugins stopped working.
No not that I know of or deliberately. Is it possible that OSx does this automatically? Were you able to uninstall it?
-Metrobot
Old 03-20-2022, 04:48 PM   #6
Oscrat

No, unfortunately I've not been able to uninstall it. I've had very little time to try do major system reinstalls, because I have a project deadline this week and been working 24/7.

I've tried to reinstall some plugins. And some of them work again as AU. But there is no rhyme or reason here. I reinstall five plugins from the same developer and two of them still doesn't work. It's frustrating. I've had to go back to Logic and start over again on some of the pieces I'm working on.

The plugins that stopped working in Reaper still works fine in Logic, so this is only affecting the AU plugins in Reaper.

This is even more frustrating because I actually think Reaper is great and were looking forward to a permanent move to Reaper from Logic!

I hope somebody out there, who knows more about the inner workings of Reaper, will think of something and be able to help us find a solution.
Old 03-20-2022, 04:51 PM   #7
Oscrat

And btw, yes and no. These updates either happen automatically or they are manual. It depends on how you have your system set up.

I only do manual updates. And I regret accepting this last one. I'd been working for a few days straight and were not thinking when I clicked OK...
Old 03-23-2022, 12:59 PM   #8
Donati

Oh, no, same here. I haven't seen a system update from Apple so long that I overwhelmingly accepted it. Now here we go. Some plugins work some not. I had to uninstall Ozone because then I got the can't find core pointer thing and crashed Reaper.
Donati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 01:31 PM   #9
Oscrat

Sorry to hear you have the same problem. It makes it look more and more like the Apple device support update is the culprit.

Same for me Fairly old macOS and long time since the last update. It's mainly been security updates and no problems. I didn't really think before I accepted. Big mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donati View Post
Oh, no, same here. I haven't seen a system update from Apple so long that I overwhelmingly accepted it. Now here we go. Some plugins work some not. I had to uninstall Ozone because then I got the can't find core pointer thing and crashed Reaper.
Old 03-23-2022, 03:37 PM   #10
GP70

Unfortunately I've the same issues... Done the update on OSX 10.11.6 and then... no more lot of VST/VST3/AU working!

I was thinking the issues was that I'm running El Capitan on an old iMac 5.1 (patched) but it seams it does not matter...

Tried to re-install Reaper & plug-ins but no success.. Really bad situation

Any idea?
GP70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 04:57 PM   #11
Oscrat

Unfortunately not... Absolutely no idea. Only very drastic solutions like reinstalling macOS. And then plugins and reaper.

I've tried reinstalling some of the AU-plugins. In some cases it worked. Most cases it didn't. Reinstalling Reaper. Rescanning plugins. Still doesn't work.

I'm thinking the Apple update changed or overwrote some system files that somehow affect Reaper and/or plugins, especially AU-plugins. But I have no idea exactly what these changes are. Maybe permissions related. It's like Reaper suddenly can't acces the plugins.

I'm crossing my fingers that somebody on this forum with more knowledge about programming read this thread and are able to point us towards a solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP70 View Post
Unfortunately I've the same issues... Done the update on OSX 10.11.6 and then... no more lot of VST/VST3/AU working!

I was thinking the issues was that I'm running El Capitan on an old iMac 5.1 (patched) but it seams it does not matter...

Tried to re-install Reaper & plug-ins but no success.. Really bad situation

Any idea?
Old 03-24-2022, 03:39 AM   #12
GP70

Thanks Oscrat,

I will check better later (this evening) but what I noticed is that the not working plugins (independently if in version .au/vst/vst3) are those activated with a license (Pianoteq and UVI). All the others seems to be ok...

Anyway their standalone version works fine

So, maybe it is not something related to reaper but something in the management of the
license authorization of the plugins...

Is it the same for your setup?
Old 03-24-2022, 12:24 PM   #13
Metrobot

The reaper-vstplugins64.ini get corrupted. with loads of plugins names cropped while the rest are scanned properly.
For example the TDR nova EQ file should like this:
TDR_Nova.vst3=807F557B6DCCD501,1561116758{56535454 643561746472206E6F766100,TDR Nova (Tokyo Dawn Labs)
But it gets cut short and looks like this:
TDR_Nova.vst3=807F557B6DCCD501

I tried deleting the ini file so that reaper would rebuild a fresh one.
I tried 'clear cache re-scan vst paths for all plugins'.
I tried using an ini file from a backup.
None of it worked.

I ended up restoring my entire system from a time machine back up and Reaper was working as normal.
Then upgraded Surge XT and sure enough, Reaper was not seeing the plugin. So that didn't work either.

I decided to cross my fingers to do a scan again and Reaper is back not seeing/scanning loads of plugins.
I opened up Mixbus 6 to cross-reference some of the plugins to see if it had the same problems.
I loaded up 7 plugins that were a problem in Reaper (AU and vst versions)
Vital
Surge XT
TAL U-NO-LX
TDR Slick Eq
TDR Nova
TDR Molotok
TDR Kotelnikov.
Almost all versions were working in Mixbus.
Nova and Molotok AU's wouldn't un-bypass but no problems with the vst versions.
SURGE XT vst was not listed but the AU was and it loaded fine.
In Reaper, none of these Plugins (AU or vst) work.
They either are not listed or listed and won't load.

When scanning the plug-ins in Mixbus I did get an error: 'The ardour vst-scanner did quit unexpectedly' but the scanning continued and I've always found mixbus to be buggy on my old Macbook Pro.

I'm using a Mac
OS 10.12.6
I'm Running Reaper v6.45 (I had upgraded but the restoring my system put it back a bit)

Has anyone else tried these plug-ins in another DAW...I have Logic but it's version 9 so I figured that wouldn't be a good comparison.

honestly, I've had this prob for a week now and there has to be a solution.
-Metrobot

Last edited by Metrobot; 03-24-2022 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-24-2022, 03:32 PM   #14
GP70

Hi Metrobot,

The same for me:
"
Overtone_GEQ.vst=001818404E04D701,1448040527,Overt one GEQ (Voxengo) (8ch)
Overtone_GEQ.vst3=001818404E04D701,1615731251{BB0D 625CB6C24B82A4F77FE3B986BD32,Overtone GEQ (Voxengo)
Pianoteq_7.vst=00942A137E7CD701
Pianoteq_7.vst3=00942A137E7CD701
"
Pianoteq is then not working and neither shown in vst list...

In any case I have also DEXED not working even if is a free software w/o any license manager (It was one possible idea about the not working VSTs..)

I think I have to re-install from scratch if no one knows how to fix... :-(
Old 03-24-2022, 04:15 PM   #15
Metrobot

Quote:
Hi Metrobot,

The same for me:
"
Overtone_GEQ.vst=001818404E04D701,1448040527,Overt one GEQ (Voxengo) (8ch)
Overtone_GEQ.vst3=001818404E04D701,1615731251{BB0D 625CB6C24B82A4F77FE3B986BD32,Overtone GEQ (Voxengo)
Pianoteq_7.vst=00942A137E7CD701
Pianoteq_7.vst3=00942A137E7CD701
"
Pianoteq is then not working and neither shown in vst list...

In any case I have also DEXED not working even if is a free software w/o any license manager (It was one possible idea about the not working VSTs..)

I think I have to re-install from scratch if no one knows how to fix... :-(
I also have Dexed and it's not working. The TDR plugins I listed are also free. There seems to be several threads in various reaper forums that are dealing with this same problem. I think others have tried a reinstall without success.
Old 03-24-2022, 04:22 PM   #16
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
The reaper-vstplugins64.ini get corrupted. with loads of plugins names cropped while the rest are scanned properly.
For example the TDR nova EQ file should like this:
TDR_Nova.vst3=807F557B6DCCD501,1561116758{56535454 643561746472206E6F766100,TDR Nova (Tokyo Dawn Labs)
But it gets cut short and looks like this:
TDR_Nova.vst3=807F557B6DCCD501
The ini file is not corrupted. An entry that consists only of plugin_name.ext=number means that the plugin crashed or otherwise failed during the scanning process. The number is a timestamp; REAPER won't re-scan the plugin unless the file changes so that its modification time is later than the scan timestamp.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 04:34 PM   #17
Metrobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
The ini file is not corrupted. An entry that consists only of plugin_name.ext=number means that the plugin crashed or otherwise failed during the scanning process. The number is a timestamp; REAPER won't re-scan the plugin unless the file changes so that its modification time is later than the scan timestamp.
Hi schwa,
Is there a way to fix this?
-Metrobot
Old 03-24-2022, 04:39 PM   #18
schwa
Administrator

If a plugin that previously worked stopped working, then something changed. Either a REAPER update, or a plugin update, or an OS update, or something changed with the DRM, or something changed with some resource or support files that the plugin needs.

You can probably rule in or rule out a REAPER update since that only happens if you download and update REAPER manually, and nobody in this thread has mentioned that I think. There are several mentions of an OS update. If an OS update caused some plugins to stop working, probably the only recourse is to get an updated version of the plugin from the manufacturer. If an OS update messes up one plugin, it might well mess up several or many plugins, because most plugins are built using one of a smallish number of basic frameworks.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 05:22 PM   #19
Oscrat

Hi Schwa, thank you for joining the discussion.

You are completely right. I don't think Reaper is causing the problem.

I update Reaper every time there is a new update and I'm absolutely positive that that didn't create the problem. I'm currently running 6.52. I were running 5.61 when it all went pear shaped.

On the other hand, on my machine Reaper is the only DAW affected by the problem. All my plugins continue to work fine in Logic and Ableton on the same machine.

I'm pretty sure – after reading the replies to my original post – that the Apple device support update (https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT213182) is the culprit causing the problem. We were all hit after installing the update.

I notice a few things, it's only affecting users running fairly 'old' versions of macOS (I'm running 10.12.6) and it's AU plugins that are taken out. In addition, some of the plugins also stop working in VST and VST3 format. But not all of them. Thrashing the reaper-vstplugins64.ini and doing a VST-plugin rescan doesn't fix the problem with the VST/VST3 plugins that stopped working. Neither does it help to trash the reaper-auplugins64.ini and the reaper-auplugins64-bc.ini. Neither does it change anything to reinstall Reaper. One thing I haven't had time to try yet is to make a portable install of Reaper and see if the plugins work with that.

I've tried reinstalling some of the AU-plugins to test and find a pattern.
I've installed the most recent and updated versions. Sometimes it fixes the problem, sometimes it doesn't. Cableguys ShaperBox 2 came back to life after a reinstall.

I run a Plugin-Alliance MEGA subscription (all of their plugins) and ALL of the plugins stopped working. Reinstalling doesn't fix anything. They still work fine in Logic and Ableton. On the other hand I own all the Sound Toys plugins and they still work in Reaper in AU-format. All my new AU iZotope plugins stopped working while all the old ones work fine... I haven't been able to find the pattern yet. Reinstalling my Valhalla plugins with the most recent updated versions didn't help either.

I'd love to return to Reaper as soon as possible. I've been forced to recreate work from scratch in Logic. It made me miss Reaper even more

Have to get back to work. Big deadline Saturday. Next week I'll have more time to test.

Quote:
If a plugin that previously worked stopped working, then something changed. Either a REAPER update, or a plugin update, or an OS update, or something changed with the DRM, or something changed with some resource or support files that the plugin needs.

You can probably rule in or rule out a REAPER update since that only happens if you download and update REAPER manually, and nobody in this thread has mentioned that I think. There are several mentions of an OS update. If an OS update caused some plugins to stop working, probably the only recourse is to get an updated version of the plugin from the manufacturer. If an OS update messes up one plugin, it might well mess up several or many plugins, because most plugins are built using one of a smallish number of basic frameworks.
Old 03-24-2022, 05:24 PM   #20
Metrobot

Quote:

In my case I had made no updates to Reaper, the OS, or plugins. I have tried to re-download and re-install several of the plugins but that didn't work. Surge Xt was just updated today and it's not scanning.

Last edited by Metrobot; 03-24-2022 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-24-2022, 05:30 PM   #21
Oscrat

Ok, that's interesting... Hmm.
But something must have changed on your system. Otherwise you wouldn't experience any problems if it worked before. It's just ones and zeroes, not witchcraft

Is your system set up to run automatic system updates (Apple and macOS related) or only manual updates?

Quote:
In my case I had made no updates to Reaper, the OS, or plugins. I have tried to re-download and re-install several of the plugins. Surge Xt was just updated today and it's not scanning.
Old 03-25-2022, 12:29 AM   #22
Metrobot

Quote:
Ok, that's interesting... Hmm.
But something must have changed on your system. Otherwise you wouldn't experience any problems if it worked before. It's just ones and zeroes, not witchcraft

Is your system set up to run automatic system updates (Apple and macOS related) or only manual updates?
Yup...I just looked at my app store prefs and
'Automatically check for updates'
'download newly available updates in background'
'Install app updates'
'Install system data files and security updates'
have all their boxes checked.

But how come the plugins I tested work in Mixbus and not in Reaper if it's not a reaper problem?

Last edited by Metrobot; 03-25-2022 at 04:46 AM.
Old 03-25-2022, 04:58 AM   #23
Metrobot

I've removed all the plugins that are not scanning.
Old plugins, 32 bit plugings..etc.
I went through all the plugins that were not scanning and started to download and install the newest versions...so far nothing worked. The plugins still won't scan.
Old 03-25-2022, 06:23 AM   #24
GP70

Trying to fix the issue I've messed up everything and now I have to format and re-install the os... (Remember I've a patched osx on unsupported iMac ;-).

So, I'll let you know the results related to the plugins functionality when done!
Old 03-28-2022, 11:44 AM   #25
gorelik11

Default Same issue

No TDR Nova after update, No Izotope, No EQ Curve Analizer. All that works in Logic. El Capitan 10.11.6 here
gorelik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 12:44 PM   #26
lagust

I had the same problem a week or so ago. Both VSTs and AUs stopped working, no response or crashing Reaper. Started up my old Pro Tools 12 and most of the plugins didn't work in there either!
Found some old threads in a Pro Tools forum about it. They all had connected their iPhones to the computer and BANG - the audio plugins died. They were talking about an iTunes update that fixed it but it was old and I couldn't find it. MacOs 10.12.6 and lower I think.

I installed MacOS 10.13 and reinstalled the plugins and now everything runs fine again.
lagust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 05:27 AM   #27
Oscrat

Quote:
Trying to fix the issue I've messed up everything and now I have to format and re-install the os... (Remember I've a patched osx on unsupported iMac ;-).

So, I'll let you know the results related to the plugins functionality when done!
Looking forward to hearing how it goes!

I finished the project and I'm back home in my studio. Working on fixing the problem, but still no success. Everything works in Logic and Ableton. Installed Bitwig just for fun and the plugins work fine in Bitwig, too.
Old 03-29-2022, 05:29 AM   #28
Oscrat

Quote:
I've removed all the plugins that are not scanning.
Old plugins, 32 bit plugings..etc.
I went through all the plugins that were not scanning and started to download and install the newest versions...so far nothing worked. The plugins still won't scan.
It's frustrating. Hope we are able to find a way to fix it soon.
Old 03-29-2022, 05:32 AM   #29
Oscrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagust View Post
I had the same problem a week or so ago. Both VSTs and AUs stopped working, no response or crashing Reaper. Started up my old Pro Tools 12 and most of the plugins didn't work in there either!
Found some old threads in a Pro Tools forum about it. They all had connected their iPhones to the computer and BANG - the audio plugins died. They were talking about an iTunes update that fixed it but it was old and I couldn't find it. MacOs 10.12.6 and lower I think.

I installed MacOS 10.13 and reinstalled the plugins and now everything runs fine again.
Interesting. I'll investigate further.
I don't have Pro Tools, so I can't test if it's the same on my system. Logic, Ableton and Bitwig recognises the plugins, though.
Old 03-29-2022, 12:42 PM   #30
lagust

Quote:
Interesting. I'll investigate further.
I don't have Pro Tools, so I can't test if it's the same on my system. Logic, Ableton and Bitwig recognises the plugins, though.
Same for me, no problems with Logic. Upgrade to 10.13 and the problem will be gone.
Old 03-29-2022, 01:19 PM   #31
Oscrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagust View Post
Same for me, no problems with Logic. Upgrade to 10.13 and the problem will be gone.
And reinstall all AU plugins that doesn't work, right?

Did you also experience that some 64 bit AU plugins suddenly opened in the 32 bit reaper_host_i386 bridge?

Just checking if you had the exact same problem before I start the process you suggest. It's a week long project to reinstall all AU-plugins
Old 03-29-2022, 02:04 PM   #32
GP70

Quote:
Looking forward to hearing how it goes!

I finished the project and I'm back home in my studio. Working on fixing the problem, but still no success. Everything works in Logic and Ableton. Installed Bitwig just for fun and the plugins work fine in Bitwig, too.
Ok, I've completed the reinstallation of 10.11.6 applying all the updates apart "iTunes Device Support Update" and "Device Support Update" (the one which caused the issue...). Installed again last Reaper version and VST plugins (UVI, Dexed, Pianoteq...) and all are recognized and work in reaper.

At the moment the reinstallation seems to be the only solution... ;-(
Old 03-29-2022, 02:10 PM   #33
Oscrat

Quote:
Ok, I've completed the reinstallation of 10.11.6 applying all the updates apart "iTunes Device Support Update" and "Device Support Update" (the one which caused the issue...). Installed again last Reaper version and VST plugins (UVI, Dexed, Pianoteq...) and all are recognized and work in reaper.

At the moment the reinstallation seems to be the only solution... ;-(
Ok. Thank you for reporting back. It seems like it's the only way to go.
Happy to hear that you are up and running again
Old 03-30-2022, 07:45 AM   #34
gorelik11

Did anybody try just to update OSX from 10.11.6 to 10.13 and reinstall some plugins, or you need to reinstall from the scratch the whole OS, and install all the plugins and DAWS from the scratch? @Oscrat? @GP70 @lagust
@Oscrat: 32 bit reaper_host_i386 bridge - yes - same here.
Old 03-30-2022, 08:09 AM   #35
GP70

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorelik11 View Post
Did anybody try just to update OSX from 10.11.6 to 10.13 and reinstall some plugins, or you need to reinstall from the scratch the whole OS, and install all the plugins and DAWS from the scratch? @Oscrat? @GP70 @lagust
@Oscrat: 32 bit reaper_host_i386 bridge - yes - same here.
Hi gorelik11,

My system doesn't support 10.13 so my only possibility was to reinstall 10.11.6

But I think it could solve.
Old 03-30-2022, 11:41 AM   #36
lagust

Quote:
And reinstall all AU plugins that doesn't work, right?

Did you also experience that some 64 bit AU plugins suddenly opened in the 32 bit reaper_host_i386 bridge?

Just checking if you had the exact same problem before I start the process you suggest. It's a week long project to reinstall all AU-plugins
Yeah, if they opened up it was in the 32bit reaper host.
Not sure if you have to reinstall them though, I could open a few of them when I tried but reinstalled them just to be sure they where fresh.
Old 03-30-2022, 02:42 PM   #37
gorelik11

Default Solved

Hi!
My friend which is a programmer found a solution to the problem. As a result everything works on my El Capitan now.

The reason for the problem is Mobile Device Update and the solution is to revert to the previous version of it.

The offending framework is located at /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework

Here are the necessary steps:

1. Locate the previous version of MobileDevice.framework. You either use the TimeMachine back if you have one. Or you can take the file from a friend, that has the same OSX and didn’t do the update. You also can install old version of same OSX on a different computer and just copy this file from there. For your convenience this is the link for my El Capitan framework version. You need to unzip it:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/65q1y9nyzr...ework.zip?dl=0

2. Place the old-working version in root folder of Machintosh HD
3. Restart the computer and immediately hold Cmd-R in order to enter the recovery mode
4. Select language if necessary
5. In the top menu, launch Utilities -> Terminal
6. Once inside the terminal, run csrutil disable (if it was already disabled previously, still do it, because actualization might have enabled it back)
7. Backup the current-broken version by running:
cd /Volumes/Machintosh HD/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks; mv MobileDevice.framework MobileDevice.framework-broken
8. Place the old-working version:
cd /Volumes/Machintosh HD; mv MobileDevice.framework System/Library/PrivateFrameworks
9. Restart
10. Go to Reaper Preferences/Plugins/VST and Rescan or just press those which are "failed to scan".
Old 03-31-2022, 03:17 PM   #38
Oscrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorelik11 View Post
Hi!
My friend which is a programmer found a solution to the problem. As a result everything works on my El Capitan now.

The reason for the problem is Mobile Device Update and the solution is to revert to the previous version of it.

The offending framework is located at /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework

Here are the necessary steps:

1. Locate the previous version of MobileDevice.framework. You either use the TimeMachine back if you have one. Or you can take the file from a friend, that has the same OSX and didn’t do the update. You also can install old version of same OSX on a different computer and just copy this file from there. For your convenience this is the link for my El Capitan framework version. You need to unzip it:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/65q1y9nyzr...ework.zip?dl=0

2. Place the old-working version in root folder of Machintosh HD
3. Restart the computer and immediately hold Cmd-R in order to enter the recovery mode
4. Select language if necessary
5. In the top menu, launch Utilities -> Terminal
6. Once inside the terminal, run csrutil disable (if it was already disabled previously, still do it, because actualization might have enabled it back)
7. Backup the current-broken version by running:
cd /Volumes/Machintosh HD/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks; mv MobileDevice.framework MobileDevice.framework-broken
8. Place the old-working version:
cd /Volumes/Machintosh HD; mv MobileDevice.framework System/Library/PrivateFrameworks
9. Restart
10. Go to Reaper Preferences/Plugins/VST and Rescan or just press those which are "failed to scan".
Amazing! Thank you @gorelik11, can't wait to try this.

Anyone out there willing to share a MobileDevice.framework for 10.12.6?
Old 03-31-2022, 04:23 PM   #39
gorelik11

Default Solution

Guys, some other steps to totally solve the situation. For those ones, who have JBridge - I saw some of you writing about that.
11. Go to /Users/username/Library/Application Support/jBridgeM/SettingsFiles/32bitPlugins, also to /Users/username/Library/Application Support/jBridgeM/SettingsFiles/64bitPlugins and also to /Users/username/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/PluginsBridgedFor64BitVSTHosts
Delete all plugins, that appeared after 28.3 and for sure those ones, which are not 32bit. Otherwise the system will remember to open those plugin through JBridge. You don't want that.
Yesterday I've sent a ticket to Apple. It appears, that the actualization is buggy. This MobileDevice.framework doesn't correspond with /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib, which is a MacOs system file.
Also the guy, that found out this framework is working on Cubase. So no connection to Reaper. Schwa can relax.
Back to the previous message - try that. But also if you know any other method to backup the corrupted framework and exchange it with the old one - you can try that.

Last edited by gorelik11; 03-31-2022 at 04:29 PM. Reason: New info
Old 03-31-2022, 05:22 PM   #40
Oscrat

Thanks gorelik11. I really appreciate it.

I even began following your instructions until I remembered that I don't have jBridge on my system I were referring to Reaper's built in 'reaper_host_i385' 32 bit bridge (which is an amazing thing if you still use 32 bit plugins). But I don't have a single 32 bit plugin on my system. Did a clean install a year ago. So it was weird when it suddenly started loading some of my 64 bit AU plugins as if they were 32 bit.

No doubt that Apple update is buggy. And I were suspecting it was a dylib related problem. I'm just a little worried, because Reaper seems to be more vulnerable to this buggy update than the other DAW's on my system and I would really like to stay with Reaper. I think it's the best DAW I've worked in.