Old 04-15-2022, 03:30 AM   #1
jonnydgr
Human being with feelings

Default Hearing my guitar when I don't want to

Hi folks

I think I have done something to my interface that means the guitar is audible even when no tracks are armed. I'm pretty sure this didn't used to be the case.

I'm a beginner so don't really know why this would be. I use a Focusrite 6i6, and have a splitter so the guitar goes into inputs 1 and 2.

I'm not at home at the moment, but am also thinking maybe you can hear the guitar even when Reaper isn't running at all.

Does anyone know why this is happening? I'm guessing it's an obvious setting that I've overlooked.

Thanks all

J
jonnydgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 05:52 AM   #2
dea-man

It's going through your audio interface. Just turn it down or mute.
Old 04-16-2022, 01:17 AM   #3
jonnydgr

Thanks for replying. Do you mean I should turn the 'monitor' dial right down? I won't be home for a few days but will try it when I'm back.

J
jonnydgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 01:39 AM   #4
Sibben

Yes. In the manner it’s done on your interface.

This is what’s sometimes referred to as direct monitoring mode or similar.

The signal is played directly by the interface on top of REAPER. This is to avoid the latency you would otherwise get as the signal goes into the DAW and is then played back by the DAW. Ideally then the playback of the guitar from the DAW should be off while recording so you only hear the direct signal.

This is sometimes useful if you have high latency. Latency depends on different factors, the chief one being the settings on your interface. You can set it to have low latency but this can introduce playback errors such as stuttering or garbled sound if the system can’t keep up. Another source of latency is some plug-ins that are not “zero latency”. It might be because they are older or just does certain things. If you set the interface to high latency the sound will be fine but instead you get a delay when recording. This can be annoying to some more than others.

So it’s a balance.

As you get more experienced you will start to figure out your own way to deal with this balance.

You can read up on it here: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-...nd-iTrack-Solo

Last edited by Sibben; 04-16-2022 at 06:23 AM.
Sibben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 06:02 AM   #5
Stella645

There is no direct monitor dial to balance between input and usb audio on the 6i6.

You'll need to use focusrite control to control/remove the direct monitored signal.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote