Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 05-15-2022, 08:27 PM   #41
francoisphils
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLacey View Post
You should get this stickied as a Getting Started guide. Just this. Anything else should be in a Next Steps post.

I've been using UNIX and then Linux for a long time. I'm a Python and R developer, all on Linux. I've been a UNIX admin, developer and DBA on large and small Linux and UNIX system. Lots more experience than on Windows. I'm not a Windows person, not at all.

For me, computer systems are things you use to accomplish other things, not an end in themselves to be fiddled with constantly. I've had such an unpleasant experience using REAPER on Linux so far that I'm honestly considering installing Windows. Audio on Linux is almost impenetrable, this thread for instance, is the first time I've read that you don't need jack.

If that strikes you as missing the blindingly obvious, then... Well that's what a "how to" guide should contain, information for people new to the field that will seem blindingly obvious to them in a week.

People here are friendly and try to be helpful, but the advice is wide ranging, often contradictory and doesn't have any any central voice. For instance, I'm not aware of any advice from cockos on a suggested distro or even configurations that are known to work. It's not as if the Linux version is too new for Cockos to advise people on.
you really don't need jack for Reaper , but if you plan to watch tutorials on youtube in the same time , you'll have problems you need to bridge pulseaudio with Jack/Cadence.
francoisphils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 10:27 AM   #42
BethHarmon
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by francoisphils View Post
you really don't need jack for Reaper , but if you plan to watch tutorials on youtube in the same time , you'll have problems you need to bridge pulseaudio with Jack/Cadence.
I do need JACK for what I do (playing virtual intruments into REAPER that are not plugins). Pipewire's the future in any case. Sooner all distros switch over, the better at this stage (in my most humble opinion )...
BethHarmon is offline   Reply With Quote