Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 04-28-2022, 07:07 PM   #1
Steve R
Human being with feelings

Default "I Walk The Streets" please comment on this!

Hi all,

I'm hoping to get a comment or two instead of the usual 350 views and no comments

Please let me know what you would do differently. Thank you!

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlSgXjpl0pdrpmLV...LZz5Q?e=Vd7DcM
Steve R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 01:26 PM   #2
rustyStrings

This is a good song. I would suggest either changing or dropping the intro. On my second listen I think I get what you're doing - the chiming of an open car door and then walking but I can't help but think it would be better to get to the guts of the song. The intro seems somehow disconnected. The bulk of the song has much better vocal than the intro but the intro is also introducing your voice and should sound just as good as the rest of the song. I'm a beginner when it comes to mixing so I can't really comment other than it sounds good to me. Nice work!
rustyStrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 01:39 PM   #3
karbomusic

Same here, I liked the song, I like the idea of the intro but it's way too long if you want most people to listen to it. The average person isn't going to wait that long.

In "the good ole days" before streaming, the intro would be it's own song but seamlessly going to the main song as it ends without a gap. That way you get the best of both worlds but that's kind of gone in the streaming world where everything is a "single".
Old 04-29-2022, 05:48 PM   #4
Steve R

Thanks, rustyStrings!
Old 04-30-2022, 12:26 PM   #5
msundh

My first reaction when 'the song' began was the voice processing.
The intro sounded really nice vocal wise.
It's a nice 60's touch of the lead vocal, but I wonder how it would sound less processed.
By the way, it's a really nice song.
Old 04-30-2022, 01:09 PM   #6
Steve R

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
My first reaction when 'the song' began was the voice processing.
The intro sounded really nice vocal wise.
It's a nice 60's touch of the lead vocal, but I wonder how it would sound less processed.
By the way, it's a really nice song.
Thanks for commenting, msundh. I am a bit confused - there is no processing on the voice. It is doubled from that point. Maybe that’s what you hear?
Old 04-30-2022, 01:14 PM   #7
msundh

Well doubling is processing? Anyway, that's what I meant.
Old 04-30-2022, 01:50 PM   #8
Steve R

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
Well doubling is processing? Anyway, that's what I meant.
Got it. I didn’t artificially double but did sing it twice. It does give it a different sound.
Old 04-30-2022, 02:14 PM   #9
bucca

a few times i heard the byrds... caught me. 'thumbs up'
Old 05-01-2022, 02:23 AM   #10
ivansc

Like your voice and (amazingly) your phrasing. Well done!

I agree the intro is waaaaaay too long, deep and meaningless o the average listener.

Listened in mono like I usually do & it sounds great. So nice I might break down and listen to it in (gulp ) *stereo!*

Well done
Old 05-02-2022, 08:54 AM   #11
ggrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
Got it. I didn’t artificially double but did sing it twice. It does give it a different sound.
Really nice song. And agree to all the above. FWIW...A suggestion though, when double tracking, decrease the volume of the doubled voice under the main performance so you only "just hear" it. So that it supports the main vocal, not meets or competes with it.

And...try tripple tracking, panning the double and tripple tracks slightly left and right off center, with just a touch of short reverb. When you hit it right it blends and glues together into a wonderful huge performance.

Also, for my ears, you music is too low for the vocal. I would turn up the instruments somewhere around 1.5db to punch it through just a bit harder.

And, maybe move the intro to the end so that the listener hears the song proper first...might make a better impression. Just a thought :-)
ggrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 06:48 AM   #12
41TWIN

Well, the first thing that hit me was your comment that you get 350 listens. I was like woah, that's way more than I normally do. But after listening to your stuff, I can see why.

I mean, I could critique your song. But I'd rather praise you. That is a well played, well recorded, well thought out song. I actually like the intro. It's probably a fair thing to say it might be too long for others. And for me even when it kicked in I was like, oh good, it's not gonna just be him singing the whole time. But I like the intro with all the background sounds. You tapping your feet makes it sounds like you're walking around the street, to the beat. I dig that.

I mean, everything you do sounds like high quality studio stuff. From your guitar sounds to your organ that even though isn't super high in the mix it sounds right.

If I had any critiques to share, take them with a grain of salt from me just trying to give you something cuz you said you want feedback, but they are humbly submitted by the perspective that my stuff doesn't sound anywhere's near as well done and professional.

So, the line "come what may" always bugs the living snot out of me. It's like one of them lines that feels like a cop out regurgitated overused line. LOL. Those are strong words but like I said, in the percentage to how good the song is it's like only a blip on the radar.

Only mix thing I could come up with is I think it's fair to say the vocals might be just a tiny bit hot in comparison to the music. I think there are few lines later in the song where you sing it loud and it could be maybe compressed or just lower those lines more in line with the rest of the vocals. The volume seems to just get a bit even hotter, maybe exposing that the vocals might be a bit too hot. If you bring the whole track down there will be spots that would likely too quiet. So some individual spot adjusting could help.

I like hearing more high end on the bass to let is stand out. But I mean, that might compete with the guitars on this particular song so, that might not be a fair critique. Or maybe it would? I don't know. The bass sounds really good though.

The drums sound real. I'm assuming they are. And they are played well. Your whole song is super tight with the rhythm. Which to me is very impressive if you're not playing as a band and doing your stuff as one person. It's the biggest challenge I have with my stuff is that most of the time I'm putting down a rhythm guitar track with a click. Then going from there. Sometimes I woulda did well to practice more to get suuuuper tight with timing. I have a tenancy to push the beat when just playing guitar.

Super good song man. I think it's about as good as it gets when listening to independent music in all the spots I do. No disrespect to anyone else. I think everyone who posts here and other places have a lot of good things going on.

About the doubling of vocals. It did not bother me. I do it. I thought it was well done. I love harmonies and heard yours too. In the beginning I doubled cuz I couldn't get a full sound. Now sometimes I don't double a line cuz I have a better mic. I almost always have harmonies though. But I also look at it like this, like I listen to Lucius and sometimes those two gals will sing the same thing. Same melody, same way. And have a very similar tone to their voice. But then at some point one will go into a harmony. It's basically like you're just a duet singing. I don't mind that at all. I like vocals. Yours are done well. You sing very good.

Do you play all the stuff yourself?
41TWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 07:23 AM   #13
Cosmic

Sounds great Steve. Love the harmonies. Excellent song

I found the double tracking a bit distracting too, tbh. The intro is cool. I love field recording stuff.
Old 05-10-2022, 10:50 AM   #14
Steve R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Like your voice and (amazingly) your phrasing. Well done!

I agree the intro is waaaaaay too long, deep and meaningless o the average listener.

Listened in mono like I usually do & it sounds great. So nice I might break down and listen to it in (gulp ) *stereo!*

Well done
Thanks, ivansc!
Old 05-10-2022, 10:51 AM   #15
Steve R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
Sounds great Steve. Love the harmonies. Excellent song

I found the double tracking a bit distracting too, tbh. The intro is cool. I love field recording stuff.
Thanks, Cosmic. I will revisit the double tracked vocal to make them less "doubly". I appreciate the feedback!
Old 05-10-2022, 10:52 AM   #16
Steve R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrey View Post
Really nice song. And agree to all the above. FWIW...A suggestion though, when double tracking, decrease the volume of the doubled voice under the main performance so you only "just hear" it. So that it supports the main vocal, not meets or competes with it.

And...try tripple tracking, panning the double and tripple tracks slightly left and right off center, with just a touch of short reverb. When you hit it right it blends and glues together into a wonderful huge performance.

Also, for my ears, you music is too low for the vocal. I would turn up the instruments somewhere around 1.5db to punch it through just a bit harder.

And, maybe move the intro to the end so that the listener hears the song proper first...might make a better impression. Just a thought :-)
Thanks, ggrey! I will try your suggestion on triple-tracking. I like the idea of that. Thank you for commenting!
Old 05-10-2022, 10:58 AM   #17
Steve R

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41TWIN View Post
Well, the first thing that hit me was your comment that you get 350 listens. I was like woah, that's way more than I normally do. But after listening to your stuff, I can see why.
Thank you for the nice compliment 41TWIN!

Quote:
I mean, I could critique your song. But I'd rather praise you. That is a well played, well recorded, well thought out song. I actually like the intro. It's probably a fair thing to say it might be too long for others. And for me even when it kicked in I was like, oh good, it's not gonna just be him singing the whole time. But I like the intro with all the background sounds. You tapping your feet makes it sounds like you're walking around the street, to the beat. I dig that.

I mean, everything you do sounds like high quality studio stuff. From your guitar sounds to your organ that even though isn't super high in the mix it sounds right.
Thanks, 41TWIN. I actually found a sample of footsteps and stretched it and looped it so it was in time with the beat.

Quote:
If I had any critiques to share, take them with a grain of salt from me just trying to give you something cuz you said you want feedback, but they are humbly submitted by the perspective that my stuff doesn't sound anywhere's near as well done and professional.

So, the line "come what may" always bugs the living snot out of me. It's like one of them lines that feels like a cop out regurgitated overused line. LOL. Those are strong words but like I said, in the percentage to how good the song is it's like only a blip on the radar.
Actually this song is by someone else (Asa Brebner). I did this song for a tribute album to him. He was a famous Boston musician who died unexpectedly, leaving a family behind. The proceeds from the album go to him.

Quote:
Only mix thing I could come up with is I think it's fair to say the vocals might be just a tiny bit hot in comparison to the music. I think there are few lines later in the song where you sing it loud and it could be maybe compressed or just lower those lines more in line with the rest of the vocals. The volume seems to just get a bit even hotter, maybe exposing that the vocals might be a bit too hot. If you bring the whole track down there will be spots that would likely too quiet. So some individual spot adjusting could help.

I like hearing more high end on the bass to let is stand out. But I mean, that might compete with the guitars on this particular song so, that might not be a fair critique. Or maybe it would? I don't know. The bass sounds really good though.

The drums sound real. I'm assuming they are. And they are played well. Your whole song is super tight with the rhythm. Which to me is very impressive if you're not playing as a band and doing your stuff as one person. It's the biggest challenge I have with my stuff is that most of the time I'm putting down a rhythm guitar track with a click. Then going from there. Sometimes I woulda did well to practice more to get suuuuper tight with timing. I have a tenancy to push the beat when just playing guitar.
Actually the drums are not real. They are played by JamStix, which is a drummer "brain". The JamStix brain is playing AddictiveDrums.

Quote:
Super good song man. I think it's about as good as it gets when listening to independent music in all the spots I do. No disrespect to anyone else. I think everyone who posts here and other places have a lot of good things going on.

About the doubling of vocals. It did not bother me. I do it. I thought it was well done. I love harmonies and heard yours too. In the beginning I doubled cuz I couldn't get a full sound. Now sometimes I don't double a line cuz I have a better mic. I almost always have harmonies though. But I also look at it like this, like I listen to Lucius and sometimes those two gals will sing the same thing. Same melody, same way. And have a very similar tone to their voice. But then at some point one will go into a harmony. It's basically like you're just a duet singing. I don't mind that at all. I like vocals. Yours are done well. You sing very good.

Do you play all the stuff yourself?
Thank you so much for such a long and thoughtful post. Yes I play everything myself. Poke around for my other posts if you are interested in hearing more. Thanks!
Old 05-10-2022, 04:18 PM   #18
Stinger

I like this - sort of late 60's pop / folk Britishy sound, back when all bands wanted to sound Britishy, even if they weren't.

By the way, I really like the intro - I use this kind of non/semi musical stuff a lot myself, even mid song. For me, it grabbed my interest - wanted to know where it was going. Also, it's a lot harder to do than it sounds.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 04:46 PM   #19
Steve R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
I like this - sort of late 60's pop / folk Britishy sound, back when all bands wanted to sound Britishy, even if they weren't.

By the way, I really like the intro - I use this kind of non/semi musical stuff a lot myself, even mid song. For me, it grabbed my interest - wanted to know where it was going. Also, it's a lot harder to do than it sounds.
Thank you, Stinger! I was actually asked to do the first verse that way by the executive producer of the tribute album. This song was written by Boston musician, Asa Brebner, who passed away a few years ago. There have been two tribute albums to raise money for his family. I just remixed this for my own upcoming album release, so I am asking for opinions on it now. Thanks again!
Old 05-10-2022, 06:41 PM   #20
dea-man

The song itself is cool.

On first listen, the intro took too long. (Even though, afterwards, I kinda think it cool.)

Didn't like the opening vocals.

I thought the drums and vocals were mixed too low.

Love the guitar parts and sounds.

Background vocals are good, but didn't like where they sit in the mix.
Old 06-01-2022, 11:21 AM   #21
Steve R

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea-man View Post
The song itself is cool.

On first listen, the intro took too long. (Even though, afterwards, I kinda think it cool.)

Didn't like the opening vocals.

I thought the drums and vocals were mixed too low.

Love the guitar parts and sounds.

Background vocals are good, but didn't like where they sit in the mix.
Thanks for the suggestions!