Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 08-27-2019, 04:12 AM   #1
Colox
Human being with feelings

Default How bypass bus processing when in track solo mode?

When you solo a channel in Reaper, where does this function send the signal?

I know there are different types of solo but what I want is to be able to send the signal from a solo-ed channel directly to the soundcard output, bypassing any bus processing along the way.

I like a bus- or master compressor on a group of tracks or the whole mix when I listen to the whole mix, but when I press solo I just want to hear the naked sound from the channel, without the master compressor on it. That is what I am after.

I seem to recall a way of doing this in Reaper, but I guess it's been re-designed since then. I've been experimenting with this the past hour and it seems I cannot find a way of achieving this signalflow. This is some of what I've just concluded:

- I use a synth on a track to send a sine tone from. Call it track 1.
- I use another track to symbolize Bus track, and I got an aggressive distortion plugin on it so I can always hear when the sound goes through it. Call this Track 2.
- And there is the master track, the last output from Reaper.

First problem is I can't put a master compressor on the master track, because then I won't be able to send a clean signal past it - period!. So instead, I guess all tracks has got to go through a track prior to the master channel. This track will be the master compressor track. (in my case a distortion).

Now, if I enable "Master send" on track 1, then the signal will always be sent to the real master, regardless of Solo mode, and not through track 2 (master compressor). This is not what we want.

And if de-select "Master send" on track 1, and send the sound from Track 1 to Track 2, and Track 2 has got "Master send" enabled, then Track 2 will act as a proper bus channel and receive the signal plus sent it on to the master out. But pressing Solo on Track 1 now, will either make Track 1 go quiet or be sent through Track 2 (depending on which solo mode you chose). It won't bypass Track 2 and go directly to the master output, no matter which solo mode is used. Same thing happens if we make Track 1 a child of Track 2.

So it seems very difficult to figure out a way to do this, or am I missing something?

thx for any input
/C

Last edited by Colox; 08-27-2019 at 09:09 AM.
Colox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:51 AM   #2
technogremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colox View Post
First problem is I can't put a master compressor on the master track, because then I won't be able to send a clean signal past it - period!.
/C
Disabling ALL effects on the master bus is one click or action.

You can simply create a custom action that toggles the solo button for the selected track AND toggles the FX bypass on the master. Assign this to a shortcut and you have a solution that doesn't need any specific routing at all.
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 12:25 AM   #3
skippertag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colox View Post
When you solo a channel in Reaper, where does this function send the signal?

I know there are different types of solo but what I want is to be able to send the signal from a solo-ed channel directly to the soundcard output, bypassing any bus processing along the way.

I like a bus- or master compressor on a group of tracks or the whole mix when I listen to the whole mix, but when I press solo I just want to hear the naked sound from the channel, without the master compressor on it. That is what I am after.

I seem to recall a way of doing this in Reaper, but I guess it's been re-designed since then. I've been experimenting with this the past hour and it seems I cannot find a way of achieving this signalflow. This is some of what I've just concluded:

- I use a synth on a track to send a sine tone from. Call it track 1.
- I use another track to symbolize Bus track, and I got an aggressive distortion plugin on it so I can always hear when the sound goes through it. Call this Track 2.
- And there is the master track, the last output from Reaper.

First problem is I can't put a master compressor on the master track, because then I won't be able to send a clean signal past it - period!. So instead, I guess all tracks has got to go through a track prior to the master channel. This track will be the master compressor track. (in my case a distortion).

Now, if I enable "Master send" on track 1, then the signal will always be sent to the real master, regardless of Solo mode, and not through track 2 (master compressor). This is not what we want.

And if de-select "Master send" on track 1, and send the sound from Track 1 to Track 2, and Track 2 has got "Master send" enabled, then Track 2 will act as a proper bus channel and receive the signal plus sent it on to the master out. But pressing Solo on Track 1 now, will either make Track 1 go quiet or be sent through Track 2 (depending on which solo mode you chose). It won't bypass Track 2 and go directly to the master output, no matter which solo mode is used. Same thing happens if we make Track 1 a child of Track 2.

So it seems very difficult to figure out a way to do this, or am I missing something?

thx for any input
/C
It's always a giod idea to create a PRINT TRACK where you send all tracks to. And then rendering that one instead of the master... that compared to the personal action and shortcut all become quite easy compared to your routings..😃
skippertag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:48 AM   #4
jpanderson80

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippertag View Post
It's always a giod idea to create a PRINT TRACK where you send all tracks to. And then rendering that one instead of the master... that compared to the personal action and shortcut all become quite easy compared to your routings..😃
I agree. I do not use the "MASTER" channel for anything other than monitoring routing, monitoring Fx and metering.