Old 01-20-2019, 07:01 AM   #1
Mikethebass
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Oxford, England
Posts: 27
Default Project Ruined, but how?

Last night I was putting the finishing touches to a song I've been working on for a while. All was well when I closed down and went to bed.

This afternoon when I've come back to it the apparently impossible has happened.

The basic track has been slowed down by a factor of about 6 or more and the vocals have been speeded up by about a factor of 5.

I'm accepting that the project is ruined and I'll have to re record it.

The nagging question in my mind ios how could I have done this? I wouldn't want to do it again.

Any suggestions
Mikethebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:09 AM   #2
DarkStar
Human being with feelings
 
DarkStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 17,695
Default

I do not think that it is ruined. Something has gone wrong certainly.

Do you have any recent back-ups you can load and check out?

Can you reset the Items' Playback Rates back to 1?

Also, start a new project and load those audio recordings - and check that they are OK. If so, then we can start fixing the problem project.
__________________
DarkStar ... interesting, if true. . . . Inspired by ...
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:36 AM   #3
Mikethebass
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Oxford, England
Posts: 27
Default

Darkstar Thank you.

I've loaded various audio from the offending song into a new project and it all plays at the correct rate.

So the problem is with the project file and not the audio.

Unfortunatly I don't have a copy of the project file other than the one which is faulty. Memo to self, think of project files as separate from audio in future.

Since starting the offending song I've learnt several new techniques including sending midi drum parts out to separate audio tracks. In this case I'll, re recoord the song.
Mikethebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:50 AM   #4
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 23,301
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethebass View Post
Darkstar Thank you.

I've loaded various audio from the offending song into a new project and it all plays at the correct rate.
^That would be expected and points to what Darkstar said even more.

The original audio files and the track items they live in are also two different things, so as DarkStar mentioned, confirm the playrate on the actual items in the "bad" project, and the project itself.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:15 AM   #5
DarkStar
Human being with feelings
 
DarkStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 17,695
Default

No need to record the song again (unless you really want to).

1 Enable the timestamped saves (automatic back-ups) in Preferences > Project.
2 check the Item playback rates in the Media Item Properties.
__________________
DarkStar ... interesting, if true. . . . Inspired by ...
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 04:50 PM   #6
Mikethebass
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Oxford, England
Posts: 27
Default

Thanks to everyone for their help.

I have re recorded the song today.

In re recording I'ved discovered the following.

Originally the song was recorded pre Reaper with the analogue outputs of a 1980s Yamaha drum machine. Today I use MT Power Drums the programming and editing is easier and working in midi ties everything together.

I've re recorded using 96K sample rate, originally I was at 44k. I don't know that I can hear any difference so far.

I've been able to use a sound fx from the original recording. This has loaded into the new project without any issue.

Thanks again for everyone's assistance.
Mikethebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 08:12 AM   #7
parametric
Human being with feelings
 
parametric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Nr Watford, UK
Posts: 46
Default Project Ruined, but how?

Only a year late - and you've almost certainly discovered . . . .

(I understand you've re-recorded the project since and are happy with it)

In case you wanted to revisit it, as-was . . .

If you CLOSE the project, and then open from scratch - the folder where it lives. .

You'll see only the last project file (an .rpp file)

From the file type selector at the bottom, select the last but one option to display the backups. (.rpp-bak)

You will then see ALL the files clandestinely-saved, while you were working.

ANY of these can be opened . . . .

Step up the list and select ANY, dated from THAT SESSION and open it.

THAT will put you back BEFORE the malady occurred . . . .

Much depends on you having set up a back-up regime as <DarkStar> has mentioned.

It makes great sense to do so . . .

One of my current projects has over 600 such files . . .

They are tiny in size, so no real reason NOT to do this . .

ATB

parametric
__________________
Alesis Fusion 6HD and 8HD BOTH with 384Mb/120Gb SSD - Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha SY85/ NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Last edited by parametric; 01-25-2019 at 08:22 AM.
parametric is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.