Old 02-09-2019, 03:45 AM   #1
noojoysey
Human being with feelings

Default Using Reaper on more than 1 computer.

My new DAW PC is arriving next week, and while I'm setting it up it would be useful if I could have Reaper open on the old and new PC at the same time, just while I get all my settings matched. Is this actually possible?
noojoysey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 03:50 AM   #2
Stella645

Yes..just use the same license key.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 03:55 AM   #3
mschnell

"Officially" you are not allowed to use the same key running twice at the same time. Hence you would need to run one of them in demo mode

But I don't suppose anybody would mind such a glitch just for reconfiguration purpose.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:34 AM   #4
lolilol1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by noojoysey View Post
My new DAW PC is arriving next week, and while I'm setting it up it would be useful if I could have Reaper open on the old and new PC at the same time, just while I get all my settings matched. Is this actually possible?
You don't need the key to match your settings, so I don't understand.
lolilol1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:39 AM   #5
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by noojoysey View Post
It's possible without the need to keep two Reaper instances open. Go to Options/Preferences/General and you'll see buttons for Import and Export configuration. Select Export configuration, tick all the options for the saved configuration, name and save your configuration package somewhere where you can access and import it with your new Reaper install (e.g. removable media).
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:41 AM   #6
foxAsteria

If you keep your folder structures and drive letters exactly the same, esp for your plugins, you will be able to just import the config from the old setup and everything will be as it was. You don't have to set it up manually.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:17 AM   #7
Saxxon

Violation schmiolation!

If you are opening Reaper on two machines at the same time to copy settings you are in violation?

Here we go! Yes, today I'm going to use Reaper on two machines at the same time to copy settings. Forget about it!

I am for certain when the one-computer rule was written, we are talking about really "using" Reaper to play, record, process audio, etc.

Using Reaper to copy settings is not using Reaper imo. Argue away if you want... I'm not listening.

If I were you and wanted to keep two computers synch'd, I would probably go with an external USB3.0 SSD install and run off of that.

Or, get something like this: http://amazon.com/dp/B07G5Q2TRL and put it in this
http://amazon.com/dp/B07G5JV2B5.

Anyway, sooner than later you might run out of processor power and want to use both computers at the same time.

You still don't need to use more than one copy of Reaper. Rewire is a wonderful thing, as is Analog, without having to hardware/synch two computers (which isn't all that hard to do either).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: And btw, you can use two or more copies at the same time off of the same license using rewire, etc. This has already been discussed and clarified:

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...31&postcount=6

Last edited by Saxxon; 02-11-2019 at 02:33 PM.
Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:52 PM   #8
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxxon View Post
Using Reaper to copy settings is not using Reaper imo. Argue away if you want... I'm not listening.
Just about the only argument with this specific topic is how hard you want the transfer to be. By all means keep them open and go through all your settings one by one. There could be way simpler ways too, but that's your choice.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:10 AM   #9
noojoysey

It only took a couple of minutes, licensed Reaper open on both machines, no problem. If there's a next time I'll just copy files over, templates for example, to the new machine, but it was useful to be able to check my views, amongst other things, with the old one.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:11 AM   #10
noojoysey

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
It's possible without the need to keep two Reaper instances open. Go to Options/Preferences/General and you'll see buttons for Import and Export configuration. Select Export configuration, tick all the options for the saved configuration, name and save your configuration package somewhere where you can access and import it with your new Reaper install (e.g. removable media).
I know this now! But it wasn't too hard doing it my own way.............!