Old 07-12-2007, 10:47 AM   #1
bachstudies
Human being with feelings

Default Normalization (FIXED)

After recording from a mic or inserting a media file, normalizing the clip almost always takes the levels above 0dB (sometimes as much as +3dB). Shouldn't Reaper find the highest peak and move it to no more than 0dB?

Of course I can re-adjust the normalization by dragging down on the clip but I think that this must be a bug. Anyone else find this?

FIXED (1.885)

Last edited by Dstruct; 08-15-2007 at 04:35 AM.
bachstudies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:01 AM   #2
bachstudies

I've now tried normalization on several different computers annd reaper takes the max level over 0dB 90% of the time. I've also tried normalizing in Sonar, Soundforge, Audacity etc and none of them have this issue.

Come on - surely someone else is also experiencing this?!
Old 07-14-2007, 06:41 AM   #3
bachstudies

Can anyone confirm this bug? I really want to support this software by buying a one of the licenses. I also want to recommend this product to my recording musician friends but I can't right now given the normalization errors. If it's not actually a bug just let me know!

Last edited by bachstudies; 07-14-2007 at 06:42 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-14-2007, 08:22 PM   #4
Xenakios

It seems that the track's volume fader position is also taken into account...Doesn't seem very logical to me... So if you have the track fader at less than 0db, the clip's volume will be normalized to over 0db...

-X
Xenakios is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 08:30 PM   #5
LOSER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
It seems that the track's volume fader position is also taken into account...Doesn't seem very logical to me... So if you have the track fader at less than 0db, the clip's volume will be normalized to over 0db...

-X
No, at least here it doesn't.

BTW it is also independent of the clip volume hanbdle, so if this is in the +dB range it will also give you overs.
LOSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 08:33 PM   #6
Xenakios

Well, in any case, the results of normalization in Reaper seem a bit too inconsistent...

It should work the same every time, that is, look for the maximum peak in the clip (not the whole file, of course!) when it's processing and bring up the peak in the clip to 0db (or perhaps preferably, a user defined level)...Track faders or fx or things like that should not be taken into account, only the raw audio data in the audio file...

-X
Xenakios is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 08:26 PM   #7
LOSER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachstudies View Post
Can anyone confirm this bug? I really want to support this software by buying a one of the licenses. I also want to recommend this product to my recording musician friends but I can't right now given the normalization errors. If it's not actually a bug just let me know!
No doesn't happen here. Works fine, never had any issues.
Are you sure all the faders are at 0dB, no FX?
Also what file type is it wave/mp3/ogg/wavepack?
LOSER is offline   Reply With Quote