Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 02-14-2019, 11:10 AM   #1
s wave
Human being with feelings

Default Modicia OS running Reaper Native & Reaper Windows simultaneously

There is a fairly new OS called Modicia (linux, XFCE modified DE, 18.04 core) Professional Audio Video package including pre-configured Wine, Wine HQ, Timeshift, JACK, QJackctl and much more, (all up to date apps) that will run Reaper Native Linux and Windows Reaper side by side - on 1 PC 1 OS 1 HD (or live boot cd / flash drive or VM) 1 Screen. Giving you use of almost all plugins and flexibility.

Heres how to make it happen: Install Modicia Ultimate (live or HD install). Then install Reaper Windows, make sure you go into Reaper preferences for audio device and change it to 'Pulse' (should have a choice here between Pulse or a mapper) [Wine will install pre-configuration just click ok]. Next intall Reaper Native Linux and do the same thing: PREFERENCES>AUDIO DEVICE change it to 'Pulse' (you should have a choice of JACK,ALSA,Dummy,Pulse). choose Pulse.

Then just run them side by side - There is no lag between switching platforms. The beauty for me is I want to run exclusively Linux but I would like 1 or 2 Windows (mac) programs that I occasionally want at my fingertips. This accomplishes the scenario and for me a no-mess blessing.

(I want to also say that this OS has some cutting edge speed technology - I surmise it uses DLL/.so hybrid of static libraries - which might pre-load on ram; and no need to rename common file (such as a plugin) workaround as well as some nice new swappiness memory tech. This makes it very fast - not to mention its small Reaper like footprint and anabolic DE)

Last edited by s wave; 02-14-2019 at 06:32 PM. Reason: remove possible mis-information
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:10 PM   #2
Fergler

Are you saying it can also run Mac AU?
Old 02-14-2019, 06:31 PM   #3
s wave

.AU are tough to run in Linux. But you can use .AU on virtual machine inside Modicia. I am trying to translate the Italian info on Modicia - slowly.
(or run Mac on gemu linux/or the like... will post back.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:31 PM   #4
JamesPeters

Pulseaudio? Not the best for low latency. You might want to mention that before people start doing this. That is unless this distro somehow runs pulseaudio very low latency.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:15 PM   #5
s wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Pulseaudio? Not the best for low latency. You might want to mention that before people start doing this. That is unless this distro somehow runs pulseaudio very low latency.
You are right usually Pulse is slower. I will try to set up latency test... and get back - been kinda busy.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:50 AM   #6
Sangeppato

So it's Xubuntu with some stuff preinstalled? Why creating another distro? I'll never get that...
Sangeppato is offline   Reply With Quote