Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 07-07-2008, 03:15 PM   #1
drew
Mobile

Default Can any MIDI head (using the new "convert to file ghost copyable" action) repro this?

Just tested using rc0 on 2 machines... would appreciate any confirmation of what seems like a bug.

1) Record a few measures of in-project midi (in any mode)
2) Use the action "convert to file (ghost copyable)"
3) Try recording (using MIDI Overdub) on top of it

As far as I can tell the new stuff doesn't get recorded.

If I open the same file manually it's fine

But then converting to in-project and back to file means again it won't record.

If it's confirmed then to me this is a bug since we obviously should be able to record on top of a "ghost" item and see it appear on all instances, right?

Cheers

drew
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:42 PM   #2
Justin
Administrator

Overdub and replace recording modes don't work for MID files, they only work for in-project midi events...

-Justin
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:52 PM   #3
Tallisman
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Overdub and replace recording modes don't work for MID files, they only work for in-project midi events...

-Justin
So maybe, when you have some time you could make it work...
or do something that makes it appear to work like:

I a ghost item is selected when midi overdub/overwrite enabled that item should be made regular for the duration of the recording. upon stop, reaper should find a replace all ghosted copies with the newly updated ghosted copy.

the whole idea is that what ever we do to the ghosted item appears in its clones automatically. And since it is midi, those tweaks should be doable in real time via the midi controller.

thanks for considering this.

.t

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:15 PM   #4
drew
Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallisman View Post
the whole idea is that what ever we do to the ghosted item appears in its clones automatically. And since it is midi, those tweaks should be doable in real time via the midi controller.
Yeah my initial uses had been with drum patterns where I was tweaking in the MIDI editor and was very happy seeing the change reflected immediately.. but then trying to add a couple of notes in Overdub today just made it clear it's not a full clone mode yet.

To me the work done so far feels like a step in the right direction. Unlike gofer, I like the idea of the ghosts/clones being files so they are available even for different projects and you can actually update items (that are intended to be identical) across those different projects in one hit.

I like Tallisman's idea very much - hopefully that, or a direct overdub/replace method for files, can be considered.

Cheers!

drew
Old 07-07-2008, 11:48 PM   #5
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
To me the work done so far feels like a step in the right direction. Unlike gofer, I like the idea of the ghosts/clones being files so they are available even for different projects and you can actually update items (that are intended to be identical) across those different projects in one hit.
Hmm, didnīt think about that, interesting idea, though I personally wouldnīt want things to be silently changed in projects I donīt currently work on, so I wouldnīt use that possibility. That doesnīt mean itīs not legit and cool for others.

I hope I donīt appear like ranting, I appreciate all the cool new features coming for Reaper, especially those related to midi (and the new modulation routing is just heaven), but I still think this implementation is somehow indirect. But perhaps our three heroes have some specific goal in mind with it that I donīt see yet.

Frank
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:13 AM   #6
Dstruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I like the idea of the ghosts/clones being files
but that's not a unique feature to ghost/clones. there's an option in the perferences if you want all items as files.

personally i don't like the files. especially if overdub and replace recording modes don't work with them.
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:54 PM   #7
drew
Mobile

Aha that'll be why then.

Of course this does kinda prevent a major use of ghosting/cloning if you can only update ghosted material by editing the notes manually rather than playing them in using overdub/replace.

The only workaround I can think of involves converting to in-project, changing the sequence, then back again and renaming the new file as the old one. Messy heh.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:15 PM   #8
gofer
-blänk-

Using midifiles to acchieve the ghosting feature seems to be a detour. It also means one has to close the midi editor to update the "ghosts" which is just slow and indirect. Why not use references to whatever represents the midi item itself in the project? It does it when looping an item which seems not that different in effect, so I donīt understand why ghost items are so clumsy.

Frank
Old 07-07-2008, 04:35 PM   #9
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
Using midifiles to acchieve the ghosting feature seems to be a detour. It also means one has to close the midi editor to update the "ghosts" which is just slow and indirect. Why not use references to whatever represents the midi item itself in the project? It does it when looping an item which seems not that different in effect, so I donīt understand why ghost items are so clumsy.

Frank
You don't have to close the midi editor (or even save, though you need to save if you want the changes to stick if you reload the project) to update the ghosts.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:37 PM   #10
gofer
-blänk-

I stand corrected here, sorry.

Frank
Old 07-07-2008, 11:21 PM   #11
Dstruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Overdub and replace recording modes don't work for MID files, they only work for in-project midi events..
what's the problem for a ghost function for internal midi items?
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:33 PM   #12
drew
Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandruff View Post
what's the problem for a ghost function for internal midi items?
Well.. I guess the fact that there isn't one