Old 07-23-2018, 10:56 AM   #1
bgt
Human being with feelings

Default Problem controlling an external midi device

I'm having a problem controlling an external midi device with Reaper. I want to essentially play my E-MU Vintage Keys Plus with the Reaper software. I have a Focusrite 2i4 as an interface. and I have an Akai MPK49 as a controller. I have enabled everything in the MIDI preferences.

I can get a track in Reaper to recognize incoming MIDI. My problem is the midi routing is so confusing to me that I cannot get the MIDI on the track talk to the external device. I have been able to get the E-MU to make a noise so I know that it's working. I can’t get the MIDI LED to light on the 2i4 to light up when I hit a key on the MPK49.

I made a short sequence in the MIDI editor to play notes but I could not figure out how to send commands to change patches or programs. I would like to be able to make to most of my old rompler. Thanks.
bgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:46 PM   #2
foxAsteria

Ez2fix.
Go into preferences> MIDI devices and make sure the only MIDI outputs enabled are the ones you need for your external gear. Now on one of the tracks you've got MIDI input working, open the IO/Routing window and add that same device as a new hardware output. As long as the hardware is receiving on the same channel, you're done. Of course you'll need to ensure you've got a MIDI cable from the interface MIDI out to the E-Mu MIDI in.

For changing patches etc you'll need to consult your E-Mu manual as to which messages it needs. You can configure Reaper to send program change/bank select messages etc from inside the MIDI editor. Use the dropdown on the bottom left to choose the appropriate lane (the default lane shows note velocity).
Old 07-23-2018, 04:47 PM   #3
bgt

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Ez2fix.
...on one of the tracks you've got MIDI input working, open the IO/Routing window and add that same device as a new hardware output.
"That same device" Which device? And which hardware output? MIDI or audio.

I apologize for my dyslexia but I read your post over and over and tried many versions of what I thought the advice might be but I'm still stuck with 2i4 interface not receiving MIDI from the MPK49 controller.
bgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:24 PM   #4
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgt View Post
"That same device" Which device? And which hardware output? MIDI or audio.
This should help:

MIDI Device preferences:

Track Routing:

Obviously your device will have a different name, but it will be the same in both places.