Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 02-04-2010, 11:18 AM   #121
sws
Code Monkey

Thanks for the feedback, I'm on it
sws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:30 AM   #122
nofish
Human being with feelings

Hi sws,

just wanted to say a big thanks for your work, and Xenakios also of course.
Just some days ago I asked for a feature to import complete Mix-settings in a project.

Seems like we've got it now with your latest update

Brilliant stuff.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:32 AM   #123
musicbynumbers

Update

seems that the paste is working ok now but should there be options on that jpeg I uploaded? if not then maybe it's all good now, will keep on testing this awesome thing!!!

EDIT.. spoke too soon, it just hung for about 30 secs when trying to save a complex mix snapshot (which included a folder as I wanted to test if that would be included in paste new tracks option) after it stopped hanging i got the same big "enter snapshot name" dialogue window but with only the same options as the above photo ( which I'm still not sure if there are any more options meant to be there)

will keep you up to date

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 02-04-2010 at 11:40 AM.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:49 AM   #124
musicbynumbers

Default question..

would it be possible to have track names (as an option) and folders (with routing to folders) possible in snapshots (obviously that is probably a nightmare but just thought I'd ask)

and also, are fx now saved completely as in not based on parameters, so if I had schwa's notepad as an fx would it save it all? edittried it .. IT DOES!

From what I've found so far on this update though Tim, this is really really good stuff!

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 02-04-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:56 AM   #125
musicbynumbers

Default and suggestion

in the right click destination options I can see people needing to be able to select say 10 tracks and hold down a modifier when selecting the destination to get it make the destinations go up by one track for each one.

Basically, a way that if you select the first destination as say 2 the next track's destination will automatically be 3 then the one after will be 4 etc..

Would make pasting to new tracks very fast since most of the time you want to paste in the same order as copied.

or.. am I missing something again?
Old 02-04-2010, 11:59 AM   #126
sws
Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
in the right click destination options I can see people needing to be able to select say 10 tracks and hold down a modifier when selecting the destination to get it make the destinations go up by one track for each one.

Basically, a way that if you select the first destination as say 2 the next track's destination will automatically be 3 then the one after will be 4 etc..

Would make pasting to new tracks very fast since most of the time you want to paste in the same order as copied.

or.. am I missing something again?
I get what you mean. There is this: If you copy exactly three tracks, select three different tracks, and then paste, it will pre-fix the selected tracks.

Download removed for a bit while I work on that nasty crash - sorry to everyone who downloaded with that bug in there.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:05 PM   #127
musicbynumbers

that sounds good enough!

look forward to the next version, do you still want me to post up any bugs found?
Old 02-04-2010, 12:41 PM   #128
sws
Code Monkey

Ok v1.5.0 #5 fixes the crash when reading old projects. Any other issues?

Apologies once again...

edit: Fixed "name diaog" too

Regarding recalling folders somehow, yeah, I'm thinking about that. It's tricky...

Last edited by sws; 02-04-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:18 PM   #129
musicbynumbers

Thanks tim!! this is such an incredible "thing"

tried the new one and most of the probs have gone just few things I've found.

1-Still very slow for creating a new snapshot with older complex projects although I need to test more projects. (fine with new ones though)

2-when pasting a snapshot and then using the remove button to take some of the channels out it seemed to permanently remove them from the already saved snapshot too and not just temporarily for the pasted version.

3- the right click option "new snapshot (selected tracks only)and the same one but for all tracks seems to not work as it should, it follows the snapshot window's "selected tracks only" tick box.

4-I can't select multiple snapshots for deletion using shift.
will add more as I find them.

5- set up a test project with 4 tracks with fxs and one send (to one of the same four) and then 4 tracks outside the folder. I tried to paste a full snapshot of the first four (foldered) tracks to the unfoldered (untouched new tracks) and it crashed, it then crashed on trying to reload it. it could be plugin related, will try other things edit: just tried lots of things and everytime I try to paste the snapshot it crashes, tried removing the folder, tried without sends and without fx. could it be related to any of the tick boxes causing a crash when trying to paste, maybe i'm pasting wrong?

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 02-04-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:12 PM   #130
BenK-msx

i've just tried exporting and importing snapshots (of fx/mix) and selecting import snapshot freezes reaper everytime. (3.22 windows xp)

looking cool though!

how about adding a touch of the template actions idea to snapshots?
so one could action an import of snapshot X for example... then recall it etc.

anyway thats dream talk, thanks for the no doubt hefty work in getting this to where it is.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:21 PM   #131
sws
Code Monkey

Quote:
1-Still very slow for creating a new snapshot with older complex projects although I need to test more projects. (fine with new ones though)

2-when pasting a snapshot and then using the remove button to take some of the channels out it seemed to permanently remove them from the already saved snapshot too and not just temporarily for the pasted version.

3- the right click option "new snapshot (selected tracks only)and the same one but for all tracks seems to not work as it should, it follows the snapshot window's "selected tracks only" tick box.

4-I can't select multiple snapshots for deletion using shift.
will add more as I find them.

5- set up a test project with 4 tracks with fxs and one send (to one of the same four) and then 4 tracks outside the folder. I tried to paste a full snapshot of the first four (foldered) tracks to the unfoldered (untouched new tracks) and it crashed, it then crashed on trying to reload it. it could be plugin related, will try other things edit: just tried lots of things and everytime I try to paste the snapshot it crashes, tried removing the folder, tried without sends and without fx. could it be related to any of the tick boxes causing a crash when trying to paste, maybe i'm pasting wrong?
1- Some plugs are very slow to give/set their state. I've had no issues with Reaper internal plugs. I'm not sure there's much I can do.

2,3,5 Can't reproduce. Maybe could send me a project?

4- Multiple selection is confusing in snapshots, because you click to load them, I don't think I'll add this.

Thanks for the help getting this all fixed up.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:41 PM   #132
sws
Code Monkey

Just posted build #7 with a "maybe fix".
Old 02-04-2010, 03:58 PM   #133
musicbynumbers

An update on some more testing for you

1- that's understandable and not too bad since it's only on some plugs that it does this.

2-I will try again on this one

3-Just tried again, for me it still does it. If the "selected tracks only" is UN-ticked then selecting a few tracks, right clicking on the tracks themselves and choosing "new snapshot (selected tracks only)" saves the new snapshot as the whole mix. This also works the other way round so if I have "selected tracks only ticked" and then do a "new snapshot (all tracks)" whilst say, 3 tracks are selected it will only do those 3 tracks for the new snapshot.

4-That's fair enough I can see what you mean.

5-I have tried with a new project with no fxs and have saved a few tracks to a snapshot and tried various ways to paste them but it waits a few seconds then freezes and crashes reaper. It no longer shows me the paste dialog (with the same amount of tracks or more or less too)

6-I know there might be places where it's bad to have phase included but is there a reason it's not remembered?

maybe my extension got corrupted as paste did work? will re install
Old 02-04-2010, 03:59 PM   #134
BenK-msx

importing snapshots is still problematic here am afraid.

seems importing a snapshot after one has already been imported, i.e the 2nd import attempt - crashes reaper.

i also expected the imported snapshot to enter the clipboard list, which it doesn't - an option to do so would enhance things if that were possible, but thats for another time...

Old 02-04-2010, 04:05 PM   #135
musicbynumbers

Tim, I'm having the same problem as ben too, it exports but crashes on import. I had this working earlier though.

could it be a certain set of snapshot setting boxes we have ticked? does the extension rely on any other components? maybe I have to restart because when reaper crashes the extension is still partly there in the background crashed?

Ben could you try the things I'm having a problem with to see if it's user specific?

don't give up Tim!
Old 02-04-2010, 04:11 PM   #136
BenK-msx

will try for sure but i don't have many multitrack projects on this lappy - give me a few mo's...
EDIT:
no wonder i was confused there for a sec, i have a customized menu which didn't show the new r-click settings... duh.

yes the selected track menu options don't account for your selection. i make a new snapshot of 2 tracks in a 4 track project and the snapshot shows 4 tracks and with 'selected only' ticked and using new snapshot (all tracks) yields 2 tracks in snapshot instead of 4.

Last edited by BenK-msx; 02-04-2010 at 04:26 PM.
BenK-msx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:20 PM   #137
musicbynumbers

Thanks Ben,

Tim, I tried a restart just in case and no joy on any of the above. It's weird because in an earlier build of (think the 2nd one you did today) the paste function and even imported work a few times but the other things didn't.

I will let some other people try to recreate these problems I'm having as it would be unwise I guess just to go on what I'm saying, need to rally people to the cause of testing it till it gets there.

This update is going to make A LOT of people happy though!
Old 02-04-2010, 04:22 PM   #138
sws
Code Monkey

Hmmm... Still can't make it crash here. A .swssnaps file that crashes on import would be cool. I've tried various filter settings without success (failure?), but huge variety of plugs.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:33 PM   #139
BenK-msx

happens on any snapshot file i've exported here -
crash happens on import only after one has been (succesfully) imported already. hmmm
Old 02-04-2010, 05:31 PM   #140
musicbynumbers

here's an exported snapshot, it's not a real zip just renamed the extension so you should be able to name it back.

Not sure what has happened but I cannot get the paste function to work without crashing now,

I did forget to mention that I'm on the latest beta reaper pre2? could that be it?

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 05-12-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:59 PM   #141
musicbynumbers

here's the last crash report I got, tried using a different start up song to try it on still crashed if you need more let me know

Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: reaper.exe
P2: 3.2.2.6
P3: 4b692d55
P4: StackHash_6eec
P5: 6.1.7600.16385
P6: 4a5bdb3b
P7: c0000374
P8: 000cdcbb
P9:
P10:

----------------------

Faulting application name: reaper.exe, version: 3.2.2.6, time stamp: 0x4b692d55
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bdb3b
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x000cdcbb
Faulting process id: 0xd90
Faulting application start time: 0x01caa5fdbe57133f
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\REAPER\reaper.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 43ed6488-11f1-11df-9f49-90e6ba6037fa
Old 02-04-2010, 06:25 PM   #142
sws
Code Monkey

Posted build #8, hopefully that fixes your problems. Thanks for help again!
Old 02-04-2010, 06:52 PM   #143
BenK-msx

import working fine now here - thankyou.

selection setting still odd tho. works if you ignore menu options and stick with the tick box. if that makes sense.
-

you'd certainly make live users dreams come true if some 'import snapshot N and merge into selected track' type actions appeared! truly ace...

cheers again
Old 02-04-2010, 07:49 PM   #144
musicbynumbers

will try this now plus love your open template actions

One more suggestion for your media pool, I love how you can use actions to paste in audio from the pool but I tried for ages to make a custom action that would self quantize. Would you consider am additional set of actions that also gives the ability to do the same thing but locked to the current grid (if possible)
Old 02-04-2010, 08:09 PM   #145
musicbynumbers

not bad so far! here's an update on previous bugs:

2-seems to work fine now in fact being able to copy and paste settings without even having to create a snapshot is brilliant! one thing that would be cool though is when you choose "create new tracks" it would probably be useful if they took the names of the original tracks (since they are nameless anyway)

3-the track based right click option for new snapshot (selected tracks only) does not do only selected tracks if the snapshot window's tick box for "selected tracks only) is un-ticked. (are you sure we are not getting our wires crossed on what we mean by this) ?

5-it's all working here now!

this is so bloody great when are you getting employed by cockos hey???

they do an amazing job anyway but I'm sure you could add a lot too!
Old 02-04-2010, 08:16 PM   #146
Tallisman

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
let me echo that point and query!
Quote:
Quote:

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:27 PM   #147
tweed

yep, MERGE is the biggie. Always wondered why it was elusive, bet it's a weird one, perhaps.

errr... I'm, still in love with the oh so silent loading, track templates. Love's like that. And hey, Merging anything rocks.
tweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:41 PM   #148
musicbynumbers

I know you mean a different kind of merge but I'm not sure what the merge option in snapshot that we have already is for. can you use it to merge what's already there? so add the snapshots's fx without deleting the ones already there?
Old 02-04-2010, 08:48 PM   #149
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallisman View Post
let me echo that point and query!
I can't hear ya man!

Please speak LOUDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-04-2010, 09:53 PM   #150
sws
Code Monkey

Haha, thanks guys!

Quote:
one thing that would be cool though is when you choose "create new tracks" it would probably be useful if they took the names of the original tracks (since they are nameless anyway)
Quote:
3-the track based right click option for new snapshot (selected tracks only) does not do only selected tracks if the snapshot window's tick box for "selected tracks only) is un-ticked.
Build #9 fixes these

Quote:
I know you mean a different kind of merge but I'm not sure what the merge option in snapshot that we have already is for. can you use it to merge what's already there? so add the snapshots's fx without deleting the ones already there?
"Merge" isn't the best name, it's really "advanced snapshot recall." It's for if you have a snapshot but you only want to recall a couple of the tracks. Or just the FX. Or just the volume. Or copy the reverb send to every track. You get the idea!

I'll slow down for a bit so I can get some sleep.

Tim
Old 02-05-2010, 03:36 AM   #151
onewayout

Hey Guys, Just to understand this better...Should I download something to get this fix?
onewayout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:11 AM   #152
musicbynumbers

Default Tim.. Relax.. You have done MORE THAN ENOUGH! :)

Thanks tim, will check out v9 now but get some rest.

To the poster above. Follow the links in tim's (sws) post at the bottom of each one to get to the download page. If you haven't got the sws extension yet your in for a big treat!
Old 02-05-2010, 05:33 AM   #153
helpdeskeddy

Thanks for your effort, Tim!
I'm enjoying the snapshots a lot... time to try these additions from you...

Eddy
helpdeskeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:59 AM   #154
Erkan

I tried the snapshots today and I found some strange stuff:

Selected 4 tracks, had no snapshot in the snapshot list but I had the snapshot window opened, right clicked on the tracks and selected "Recall current snapshot" - resulted in a crash in ntdll.dll the first time and reaper_sws.dll the second time. Didn't try anymore after the second attempt. Seems like recalling when you don't even have a snapshot created results in a crash.

Another issue is that once I have created a snapshot of a few tracks, Reaper hangs for about 15 seconds every time I move a track around - as in re-arranging the track orders. Once I delete all snapshots from the project, I can re-arrange the tracks without the sluggish behaviour.

And perhaps you could consider adding a "Load" button somewhere conveniently next to the snapshots instead of having them autoload on mouse click.

That's all I have to say for now but other than that, it's awesome! I'm really digging the concept of it and it's exactly what I have been asking for for so long. I know it must be frustrating when people only point out bugs and "negative" stuff but it's all for the greater good as I'm sure you are aware. Your work is highly appreciated and I'm thankful for what you're doing for the community. Keep up the good work!
Erkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:01 AM   #155
sws
Code Monkey

You have latest build #9 right?

EDIT: Nevermind, found the bug, fixed that and working on efficiency for you.

Last edited by sws; 02-05-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:19 PM   #156
Erkan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sws View Post
You have latest build #9 right?

EDIT: Nevermind, found the bug, fixed that and working on efficiency for you.
Yeah, the latest build.

You are awesome man Keep 'em coming at your own pace, no need to rush (not saying you ARE rushing but if you are, there's no need) =)

Efficiency... yum! Thank you once again!
Old 02-05-2010, 12:33 PM   #157
sws
Code Monkey

Ok just posted build #10, see if that makes things faster for you.

Thanks!
Tim
Old 02-05-2010, 03:01 PM   #158
Erkan

Just tried #11 and it hung indefinitely on the first usage (I created 3 tracks and just randomly set volume and panning and added a few FX) but then I restarted Reaper and did the same thing again and it worked flawlessly. It's much faster now!

And it doesn't crash on trying to recall a snapshot even though there is none.

Awesome work Tim! I'll see if I can try it out more extensively in a couple days, I'll report back if I find anything.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:35 PM   #159
Astro

HI....This is a great feature.
Unfortunately I did several captures, one of those was of all the channels and whenever I tried to overwrite it...Reapers hangs indefinitely and crashes.
I tried this over and over and had to give up using the feature for now.
Its a great idea tho, hopefully it will be stable soon.
Cheers

OK A quick update...I have it working a little better now, using the the low right click mixer menu....but I notice that sometimes it does not remember to "Show selected tracks in track list" even tho this is enabled...so you have to untick it
and tick it again and "save over current snapshot" to get it to remember this.
Basically right now I am using it to show only certain parts of the mixer.
The hanging still happens tho...but mainly if I use the "snapshots list and settings" view and right click there to overwrite...this can cause serious hangs and crashes.

Last edited by Astro; 02-06-2010 at 01:12 AM.
Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:08 AM   #160
sws
Code Monkey

Posted build #12. (To be honest I have had a hard time reproducing the crashes you're reporting, but I did fix something that perhaps might be the cause. Fingers crossed!)