Old 10-21-2014, 10:16 AM   #1
olilarkin
Human being with feelings

Default JS effects outside of JS folder

Is it possible to put the js text files outside of the reaper resources folder? perhaps in the same folder as the .RPP project?

thanks

oli
Old 10-21-2014, 11:37 AM   #2
IXix

It seems like you can't. I was sure you could specify a different location but I can't find the option anymore. Maybe it was removed or perhaps I'm thinking of ReaJS or maybe I just dreamed it.
IXix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:06 AM   #3
Tale

I don't think so, although there was some talk about this (well, something similar anyway) almost a year ago:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=132335
Tale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 02:53 AM   #4
drew
Mobile

Interesting - I had never tried that.

I do remember ages ago I had pushed for REAPER to look for an "effects" subfolder in current project directory as a source for JSFX, so you could easily include fx portably and without concerns that an updated version of a JSFX would break your project (eg. added sliders etc).

However with ReaScripts, since they have to be manually imported I can't see why the source path should make any difference.

Now, of course, if they didn't have to be manually imported and auto-loaded from your main script folder on launch + any project-specific ones auto-loaded from a script subfolder in project directory on project load, that would open up new possibilities. But.. is it also then a security risk, since an imported .py could delete & do other damage?
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 03:06 AM   #5
olilarkin

I am using JS to teach some signal processing stuff and since our studios are shared machines (with a single user account that gets reset on reboot) storing stuff in the reaper resources folder is not feasible.

If any one from cockos is listening - search the RPP folder for JS scripts would be a very useful feature!