Old 08-30-2010, 06:11 PM   #1
Thurgood
Human being with feelings

Default Free item positioning in multiple takes

I desire to "move" one "Item" in a multiple "take" track. I used Cntl+L to expand the track to show all takes (per Reaper POwer p. 176) but I cannot for the life of me figure how to "free up" one lane and its individual items independently of the others included in the track. When I try to make any adjustment all "lanes" move together. Reaper Power says that Cntrl+L makes takes visible, yes it does. Must I "split" the individual area and then move it about? Oh I forgot when I split, the S splits all, should I use Z? Also, do I need to set "free item positoning" before recording? and is this only available in preferences rather than (p. 70 Reaper Power fig. 3.15) Right clicking over the track number to provide these options? When I RT click over track No. I do not get "Selected tracks Are Free Item Position Enabled". I jsut want to work on individual "items" within a multi lane track to adjust pan, vol, per item effects etc. .. Thanks for your time I am sure I am just missing something. PS Reaper 3.66. Thanks, Be well All.
Thurgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:55 AM   #2
Grag38

If your file is an wav or aiff multitracks, you can explode it with wave agent.

http://sounddevices.com/products/waveagent.htm
Grag38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:27 AM   #3
gofer
-blänk-

While you can't move the borders of takes in an item separately you can move the content of a single take without moving the others (hold Alt, click onto the waveform you want to move, drag sideways). For this to work you need Preferences -> Editing behavior => "Dragging the source start offset of the active take adjusts the offset for all takes" unchecked.

The menu entry for free item positioning is called "Enable track free item positioning" and is in the track's context menu as well as in the Track main menu, assumed you didn't customized your menus.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
Thurgood

Thanks guys, I hope that I haven't screwd it up (menus) when I added the sws extensions. By screw up I mean "lost to me". I will keep looking. Also it looks like "explode all tkes to New tracks" may give me the flexibility I am looking for.

Gofer: You just answered a loooooong lingering question about moving wav.s inside of a clip. I could never figure out how to do it much less ask using the correct terms. Yippy! [alt+click, then drag.] Thanks a million. Maybe this goes in another thread but will downloading the newest reaper mess with SWS stuff? Will I have to re-learn? Better post elsewhere I guess. Be well all.
Thurgood is offline   Reply With Quote