Old 03-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #1
mim
Human being with feelings

Default 3.36pre 3

Let's dance !

v3.36pre3 - March 10 2010
+ MIDI controllers: fix for different action mappings in the arrange view vs MIDI editor
+ MIDI editor: correct overlapping notes whenever they occur
+ MIDI editor: fix for resizing notes up to the left or right edge of the parent item
+ MIDI editor: fixed marquee select for drum-mode notes
+ Mousewheel: enable relative zoom for mice that send finely-grained mousewheel data
+ Multi-touch: per-gesture options for reverse, scaling, disabling inertia, improved zooming
+ OSX: more consistent AU GUI updating when playing back FX automation
+ OSX: preliminary bridging support (to run 32 bit plugins on 64 bit, PPC plug-ins on Intel, etc)
+ (removeme) more consistent behavior for selecting/editing CC events, bank/program, text/sysex, velocity
+ (removeme) fixed reversed fade menu images

v3.36pre2 - March 8 2010
+ (removeme) fixed crash when marquee selecting CC lanes out of bounds
+ (removeme) support ctrl+click (toggle) and shift+click (contiguous) for selecting CC events
+ (removeme) CC mouse-drag is locked into either time or velocity, but not both
+ x86/x64 bridging: internal improvements and bugfixes
+ MIDI editor: action to show raw MIDI data
+ MP3: fixed poor quality render with VBR encoding on OSX and Windows x64
+ Windows: Vista+ file dialog for source properties and save track template file dialogs
+ (removeme) OSX: internal timer cleanups to SWELL

v3.36pre1 - March 6 2010
+ CPU usage: optimizations with high track counts (solo sibling calculation caching)
+ Item properties: better-looking fadein/fadeout menus
+ OSX: ReaNINJAM: better support for removing / readding VST
+ MIDI editor: marquee select in CC lanes (alt+right drag), mouse drag selected CC events (preliminary)
+ Mixer: save/restore exact visibility of FX, FX parameters, and sends
+ Multi-touch: Windows 7 and OSX 10.6 multi-touch gestures can be mapped to REAPER actions
+ Preferences: save/restore last preferences page visited when closing/opening REAPER
+ Tempo maps: lower CPU use for projects with large tempo maps (helps VST time info as well)
+ x64: support bridging/firewalling of x64 VSTs, including 32-bit REAPER in Wow64

Last edited by schwa; 03-10-2010 at 10:05 PM. Reason: added prior 3.36 changelogs
mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
dub3000

Ppc to intel bridge??? I'm not a mac user but that is pretty awesome!
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:39 PM   #3
Reflected

FADE IN/OUT display went wrong...fade ins show fade outs curves (right click) and vice versa... (@pre2)
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:50 PM   #4
schwa
Administrator

That should be fixed in pre3, no?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:11 PM   #5
semiquaver

holy shit PPC bridging that's worth my license fee right there as my ancient plugs come back to life...

and 64-bit goodness too?

too much!
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:20 PM   #6
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub3000 View Post
Ppc to intel bridge??? I'm not a mac user but that is pretty awesome!
The PPC emulation isn't done by Cockos code... It's an Intel OS-X feature that Apple naturally had to put in when the Intel Macs were released, so that the old PPC only binaries of softwares would work.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:51 PM   #7
dub3000

still cool, regardless... means plugins like these are available to Intel Macs: http://www.digitalfishphones.com/mai...em=2&subItem=5
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:09 PM   #8
Reflected

The Fill area for item envelopes is a good move, tho it will be more directive and clear once it fills only the selected envelope and show points only for the selected envelope

see this:

[IMG]http://img214.**************/img214/9913/env.th.png[/IMG]

instead of this...
[img]http://img641.**************/img641/2470/ouchj.png[/img]

Last edited by Reflected; 03-10-2010 at 08:15 PM.
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:59 PM   #9
MADatGOD

Quote:
+ Mousewheel: enable relative zoom for mice that send finely-grained mousewheel data
The problem I was having with my MS laser mouse is fixed. Thanks.

Any chance the same kinda thing may be related to the following (pasting from my post in another topic)...

Quote:
When I scroll vertically by hovering over either the scrollbar to the right or the little control panel thingies to the left, scrolling down is much faster than scrolling up. When I scroll vertically over the arrange view by holding alt+ctrl, the up and down scrolling is consistent. When I use the mousewheel on a fader, up and down is consistent.

When I use the mousewheel to expand or shrink the track height with alt+ctrl+wheel over the scrollbar or control panel thingies, or ctrl+wheel over the arrange view, rolling down shrinks the track immediately (too fast, actually) but I hafta roll up for miles to expand them.
... or is that something completely different?
MADatGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:38 AM   #10
fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mim View Post
MIDI editor: correct overlapping notes whenever they occur
Let's robot dance!
fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:51 AM   #11
Subz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingers View Post
Let's robot dance!

first thing in the morning Robot dance is always the best

Subz
Subz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:12 AM   #12
gofer
-blänk-

Marquee seems fine now (except pitch value = max, see bug thread) .

By any means, would it be possible to allow marquee start on a CC divider bar? Still hard to select when v=0 and v=127 are both involved on a single lane.

I like how single click (resp single ALT+click, depending on options) in an empty area now deselects all. Could the same click on an event delete that single event?
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:36 AM   #13
Jeffos
Mortal

I like the way CCs move horizontally or vertically now (pre2). It's almost there!! Though, I tried my first real CC edition. I didn't really achieved it.. Not that I push for other features (such as popup: I couldn't prevent myself to right click on those sexy selected CCs it!!! so natural..), but for usability -I- think at least the following things should come "out of the 3.36 box", don't you ?

1) CC selection is not a "bijection" between the different views, only selections in event list are reported in CC lane
=> btw, CC lane selection is not reported in the event list. This would be usefull and simplify the workflow even without popup, ex: checking values after a vertical drag, selecting a bunch of CCs in lane then mute them in the event list, etc..
=> CC lane selection is lost when closing the ME (and isn't not visible in RPP chunks either)
[EDIT] in other words, selection in CC lanes seems only graphical

2) shouldn't CCs obey snap settings ? (+niptick: shouldn't right click in the toolbar popup the snap settings dlg ?)
This would be usefull when moving bunch of CCs to an another part

3) Quote from pre2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
uhm... what about select/copy/paste midi cc?
edit: just found it, sorry... drowned in shortcuts
Damn! didn't find it! Evan, do you mean ctrl-c/v/x? how did you do?
Please, let me know if I missed that, 'cause it would be VERY usefull for edition from/to different items. I CTRL+DRAGed a lot, but was then unable to copy/paste

That leads to:
4) shouldn't a normal click in a CC lane moves the cursor to it?
=> a bit annoying with lot of lanes (you have to scroll up to the piano roll), would be worse with paste.

Please, let me know if I missed some things..

Last edited by Jeffos; 03-11-2010 at 02:58 AM. Reason: in other words, selection in CC lanes seems only graphical
Jeffos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:56 AM   #14
gofer
-blänk-

Agreed in all points, Jeffos,
except maybe the last one (4), I don't quite like the edit cursor being moved with each click in the notes area as well, but I see where you are coming from. For paste's sake it would be useful.

Your point 1) is very important. Also it should be possible to select and CTRL+C events in the event list and paste them into a piano roll view.
Reading that selection is not reflected in RPP chunks scares me a bit. I was hoping to see some nifty CC event scripts happening, does this mean there'll be no way?

As of snap: CC should also snap relative IMO .

CTRL+X/C/V (and the delete key) are not yet working on CC events at all. I can only guess Evan meant copying with CTRL+drag horizontally to copy.

One other thing that seems important to me (has already been mentioned, but is worth to be repeated I think):
When some events are selected, please disable event adding to that lane in favor of value changing. So we could select some events and draw/refine a curve out of the existing ones. It would work like in the velocity lane, only selected events would change values.

And there are a some actions that should be changed (or new ones added) to work on CC. Examples:

- Cut, copy and paste

- delete notes -> delete events

- Mute events

- reverse events (the last two are named misleadingly, they do only work on notes)

- Set selected note to channel (n) => set selected event to channel (n)

And 'Move CC with notes' desperately needs fixing, It doesn't copy all underlying events when CTRL+drag. I believe this has broken between v3.14 and 3.15

Last edited by gofer; 03-11-2010 at 04:05 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:14 AM   #15
Evan

Yeah sorry for that. I meant I found CTRL+drag to duplicate events. No cut/copy/paste yet.

We're getting there!

Somebody mentioned it and I agree: CC drawing (click+drag) only affects selected events (unless no events are selected). That somehow makes more sense to me. Especially when you want to refine a specific region only.

edit: whoops, gofer mentioned in exactly the previous post

worth repeating I guess.

The up/down or left/right movement only appears a little glitchy. I select an event, drag it upwards and it seems to make a tiny jump to the left (without me moving it). Also I would miss smooth free-movement+scaling at points. Perhaps we can do it like drawing programs do it, I think Photoshop (etc) use the Shift key to restrict movement, either vertically either horizontally (depending on where the mouse moves first). It just seems a little glitchy to me as it is now.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:26 AM   #16
gofer
-blänk-

Evan, can we agree to make it the other way round? Hold a modifier to free up the movement? Could be an option of course. In most cases I am very happy with the current behavior, but would appreciate a way to override.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:36 AM   #17
Evan

Definitely, no problem with that. Eventually it can be a toggle button/mode or whatever.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:56 AM   #18
gofer
-blänk-

Hmm, maybe use the SHIFT key for that, it could override both snapping when enabled and toggle the movement restriction?
The only downside seems to be that the combination 'snap=on + free movement' is not possible that way, but somehow I'd find it rather intuitive.

Needs more thinking, I only just had this idea. I have the feeling I like it.

EDIT
Wait, no. It would be weird when free movement is your default... SHIFT would toggle snap off and movement restriction on.

So scrap that Nevermind.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:50 AM   #19
yerbouti

Quote:

+ OSX: more consistent AU GUI updating when playing back FX automation

That did the trick for our AU'S!

Thanks to to all the team for this and especially Schwa for the answer.

As I told you in my email, our surround panner will be completed in a few days. If you want to include it with the Reaper package, it is open source, so feel free to do it.

You can get the current version at: http://code.google.com/p/octogris/

Thanks again!!!
yerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:12 PM   #20
schwa
Administrator

Thank you very much for the heads up on that problem, yerbouti.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:38 PM   #21
jayendra

great to have 64bit reaper run 32bit plugs as Snow Leopard is 64bit. Even though I only have 4gig of ram does 64bit do anything else special other than the ram?

But I still can't see my VST's in the fx browser?

***EDIT - ahhh had to do a cache/rescan and then this little thing pops up 'reaper_host_i386' and adds them all.

Quick question - a plugin called 'EVE' which I deleted keeps asking for installation folder and won't go away - had to force quit reaper and go back in again.

Another bug - when cmd+tabbing out of reaper with a floating fx window (kore player) the window doesn't disappear (the i386 host bit)

Plugs seem to load much quicker with 64bit version

Freaky - when I plugged in my camera card and had reaper install also loaded as a .dmg - Picassa opens up and then opens up import from reaper install and then the reaper i386 host crashes.

Last edited by jayendra; 03-11-2010 at 02:16 PM.
jayendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:23 PM   #22
Subz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayendra View Post
Quick question - a plugin called 'EVE' which I deleted keeps asking for installation folder and won't go away
check the .vst or AU files are not in Library/audio/plugin's (components for AU & vst for vst's) (check both root Library/audio/plugin's plus your user Library/audio/plugin's to be sure you got rid of the bugger)

Subz
Subz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:37 PM   #23
Banned

Quote:
Let's dance !
v3.36pre3 - March 10 2010
+ Multi-touch: per-gesture options for reverse, scaling, disabling inertia, improved zooming
Thanks!
Quote:
+ OSX: preliminary bridging support (to run 32 bit plugins on 64 bit, PPC plug-ins on Intel, etc)
W0000000T! Holy freaking bunch of cows!!

Snag up some old PPC plugs before word gets out!

[edit:] 32 to 64 bit bridging not working here yet; but hey, it /said/ "preliminary".

Last edited by Banned; 03-11-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:14 AM   #24
MaximKorobov

Hey!
What means (removeme) tag?
MaximKorobov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:42 AM   #25
Evan

removeme probably means that this line will not appear in the final changelog