Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Live Use

Old 12-21-2019, 03:10 PM   #1
brk303
Human being with feelings

Default Best way to setup 70 songs setlist for live performance

We're going to use Reaper live for automated effects and backing tracks. The plan is for singer to use a tablet with Bandhelper for navigation between songs.
On song selection Bandhelper can send Midi information and I can map it to action in Reaper.
So the plan is to have a repertoire of 70 songs to choose from and being able to navigate to selected song.

Now the question is how to best organize this ?

I could think of few approaches:
1. Make one big project with all 70 songs and then navigate via markers and regions, but there are "only" 30 markers available.
2. have 70 separate projects and load selected one, but how can I load selected project ?
3. Subprojects ? Don't know enough about them, could work, but again not sure how to select the correct subproject.

Any ideas or tips ?
brk303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 08:52 PM   #2
Dynsdale

Can you do 70 tracks, and make midi commands that go to next track, rewinds and play?
Dynsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:35 AM   #3
mschnell

ReaPack -> Song switcher (for Live use)

Seems like to be done for exactly this purpose
Michal (did not try it yet)
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 06:31 AM   #4
dazastah

I use regions instead of markers because regions are better to use for arranging sections/songs around..

You may need to have sws extentions for some extra cool actions that help..
Also sws ext has marker actions..So when the play head cursor goes past a marker it will trigger a action. example would be to goto next region and pause . This marker would be at the end of every region if you dont want the songs to simply play through.

So use MArkers for Marker actions and Regions for songs.

Or You can use Miditoreacontrol path and use midi notes to trigger actions instead of marker actions. This is how i do it as its neater i think than having markers and regions .

I now see theres a "goto marker 30" limit . even though you can have more than 30 markers..

To get around this you need sws extentions.
After installing you have to edit the sws.ini file in the reaper resource path.
Find this line
S&M_GOTO_SEL_REGION=
put in 70 or how many songs you want in your project.
save
open reaper
you will now have "x" amount of actions for goto sel region smooth seek
all of which can be midi assignable. That should give you direct navigation to particular song/region number.
This is how i would do it. Having ll songs in linear fashion allows the use of smooth seek .. ie go to next song without gap .. smooth transition.
dazastah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:26 PM   #5
brk303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynsdale View Post
Can you do 70 tracks, and make midi commands that go to next track, rewinds and play?
I probably could but I if I want to go from song 1 to song 51 I need to click next 50 times, live on stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
ReaPack -> Song switcher (for Live use)

Seems like to be done for exactly this purpose
Michal (did not try it yet)
Yes, the name sounds like it's doing what I want, but it's not.
What Song switcher does is mute/unmute tracks, so you need one track per song.
That approach doesn't make sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazastah View Post
I use regions instead of markers because regions are better to use for arranging sections/songs around..

You may need to have sws extentions for some extra cool actions that help..
Also sws ext has marker actions..So when the play head cursor goes past a marker it will trigger a action. example would be to goto next region and pause . This marker would be at the end of every region if you dont want the songs to simply play through.

So use MArkers for Marker actions and Regions for songs.

Or You can use Miditoreacontrol path and use midi notes to trigger actions instead of marker actions. This is how i do it as its neater i think than having markers and regions .

I now see theres a "goto marker 30" limit . even though you can have more than 30 markers..

To get around this you need sws extentions.
After installing you have to edit the sws.ini file in the reaper resource path.
Find this line
S&M_GOTO_SEL_REGION=
put in 70 or how many songs you want in your project.
save
open reaper
you will now have "x" amount of actions for goto sel region smooth seek
all of which can be midi assignable. That should give you direct navigation to particular song/region number.
This is how i would do it. Having ll songs in linear fashion allows the use of smooth seek .. ie go to next song without gap .. smooth transition.
Thanks for the detailed response !
All great advice.

I decided to use regions for songs as well. Not sure so far if I need markers, I think I can just go to region instead. Didn't yet think about what I want to happen at the end of song/region.

Where I'm stuck is using Song Select MIDI message that Bandhelper sends to Reaper. I can see the message arrives and has correct MIDI raw hex format $F3 XX 00.
But I can't assign it to any action since it's not the expected type, it expects MIDI controller messages, etc.
Any idea how to implement that Song Selecte message with song #3 goes to Region #3 ?
brk303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 02:57 PM   #6
mschnell

In a dedicated track, you could do a JSFX plugin that converts the " $F3 XX 00" Midi Message to a CC message and then use MidiToReaControlPath do sent such message to the Reaper Action mechnism.
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:29 PM   #7
Tonegrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk303 View Post
Didn't yet think about what I want to happen at the end of song/region.
Marker actions for specifying transport stop. put !1026 in marker name and reaper will stop at the marker.

I address songs by their location on the timeline. I used to do markers but now prefer a simple lua script created in actions window. I don't know who the original author may have been, but i would have found this on reaper forums. msr = your measure number where the song starts. I have close to 100 songs in my session and it works very well. (be careful with time signatures as changing them per song may move measures #s around.)

local msr = 1
local moveview = 1 -- set 1 if you want to move view -- set 0 = don't move view
----------------------------------------------------
local msrcalc = msr-1
local time = reaper.TimeMap_GetMeasureInfo(0, msrcalc)
reaper.SetEditCurPos2(0, time, moveview, 0)
Tonegrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 04:41 AM   #8
EcBaPr

why are you saying there is only 30 markers ? you can added more than 30 markers on the timeline but are you referring to the goto marker action only having 30 ?

the best way to set this up I think is with OSC on a tablet.. I did it a while ago.. I used regions for setlists and markers for each song.. each marker was named as the song title so when the project opened it propagated the tablet with the titles on buttons and then it was just a matter of selecting whichever song to jump to.. at the top of the layout I had buttons for set1.. Set2.. set3.. set4 but you could have it so it showed all songs on one screen if you wanted.. i also had start/stop buttons and timeline counter, plus a few things controlling the mix like mute buttons etc.. the cool thing about an OSC layout is you can make it whatever you want..
EcBaPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:17 AM   #9
dazastah

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk303 View Post
Where I'm stuck is using Song Select MIDI message that Bandhelper sends to Reaper. I can see the message arrives and has correct MIDI raw hex format $F3 XX 00.
But I can't assign it to any action since it's not the expected type, it expects MIDI controller messages, etc.
Any idea how to implement that Song Selecte message with song #3 goes to Region #3 ?
can band helper song select just send midi notes?
Can you change the type of midi message it sends ?
It would be easier if it can just send a midi note per song.
Old 01-21-2020, 03:23 PM   #10
ivansc

I tried like crazy to find a decent android app along these lines & finally gave up. Bought an old used ipad air & have been running OnSong ever since. The only downside for me is that, as a fully paid up atheist, I find the endless banging on about worship fellowship and the rest of the god-bothering navy unnecessarily obtrusive. They already got my $25 how much more do they want?

But it does do an excellent job of taking care of everything from MIDI stuff (notes as well as DMX via MIDi, etc.) to setlists to enabling foot operated page-turners!
Old 01-29-2020, 12:56 AM   #11
dazastah

lol @ivansc .. Pretty much all tablet "backing track players" are involved somehow in worship .. playback , primeloops , etc .. I guess there's money to be made off gods word/songs .
Old 04-11-2020, 06:31 AM   #12
bluesking17

Why don't you just use project tabs? I use them live with my band for backing tracks and they work great. You can then save your songs as a set list for future use.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:00 PM   #13
lexaproductions

https://youtu.be/WAmEPnv7dA4
chck this configuration i’m currently working on.
Project tabs have several advantages for this type of stuff
lexaproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 08:16 AM   #14
Tonegrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexaproductions View Post
https://youtu.be/WAmEPnv7dA4
chck this configuration i’m currently working on.
Project tabs have several advantages for this type of stuff
I watched your video looks great! In my scenario, I have live audio inputs for vocals and guitar and virtual instruments keyboards played live. In 2015 when i set up my live rig, I couldn't solve starting and stopping timeline (switching songs) without a glitch in my live mics and keyboard sounds. I ended up with a portable instance of reaper to play backing tracks into my main session using rearoute.

Can your live input on Routing page continue with out a glitch changing songs and starting stopping timeline on those songs? I need to route audio between tabs as i'm using the main project as a live mixer complete with inear mixes. I also need external control to both tabs simultaneously using OSC.

Have you solved this with you project tabs?.

Last edited by Tonegrown; 04-17-2020 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:53 AM   #15
lexaproductions

Yes you can setup the audio routing to always be live. But it will obviously take more cpu on a large project.
I would personally keep my vst reaper separate from my playback one for a few reasons
1: to keep one always live and independent
2: different buffering setup and configuration: low buffer on the vst but high on the playback
3: it doesn’t cost anything to have portable instance and you can trigger patch changes from the playback instance to the live instruments and vice versa.
But it is indeed doable in one instance.
lexaproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 03:51 PM   #16
Tonegrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexaproductions View Post
But it is indeed doable in one instance.
I played around with tabs again after my post today... I put a sine wave in tab project 1 and put a couple tracks in project tab 2. With the transport stopped in tab 1, i would start and stop transport in tab 2 each time hearing a glitch in the sine wave on project tab 1. I looked a little in the preferences, but can't find any settings that alieviate this glitch, How are you achieving no glitches in project tab 1 with transport stop and start in tab 2?