Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 01-19-2020, 08:27 AM   #1
Scottsdale
Human being with feelings

Default Accessibility: Options missing from the tab order of the Save As dialog in Windows

Hi,

On any Windows version newer than XP, there are important options that are currently excluded from the tab order of the Save project, Save as and Open dialogs, which makes these difficult to configure for users who navigate using keystrokes.

Reproduction steps:

1. Choose "Save project as..." from the File menu.

2. Use Tab or Shift+Tab to navigate through the window. You'll find that the "Create subdirectory for project", "Copy all media into project directory", and "Move all media into project directory" options are unreachable.

3. Use Tab to highlight the "Save as type:" combo box, and hit Control+Tab. You should find that this does enable you to reach the 3 options listed above, but it's a workaround that won't be apparent to most users. I've included it just in case it sheds any light on what's up. To me it suggests that perhaps those 3 options are embedded in some sort of child window?

4. Rinse and repeat step 2 in the Open dialog. You'll find that the "Open with FX disabled (recovery mode)" and "Open in new tab" check boxes are unreachable.

Thanks in advance for anything you can do to tighten this up.

Scott

Last edited by Scottsdale; 01-21-2020 at 09:26 AM.
Scottsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:31 AM   #2
ultraleetj

(bump) agreed. Currently, the only way to reach these is by using either some physical movement of the mouse, or more advanced screen reader navigation functions, which not everyone is really used to routinely.
I would not think they are in a child window, as I have been told that visually they are not really different, though using an operating system specific, standard save as dialog and adding extra options to it might have some sort of overlay, which can mean that it does not get reported to the system caret or focus. I would like to think that the same is true for almost every other dialog reaper has, such as the open project one. Unfortunately, this trick you mentioned does not work for accessing the extra options in this case. There are two equally important or useful check boxes there. Open with fx disabled (recovery mode) and open in new tab. So this goes a bit beyond the title for the thread: Options missing from the tab order of the Save As dialog . Should be from the tab order of standard operating system of specific standard Microsoft windows dialogs, though I am not sure if mac users also experience the same.
ultraleetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:40 AM   #3
akademie

Navigation using Tab key (or Shift+Tab) works fine and correctly in both mentioned dialogs here (Save As..., Open project).
Reaper v6.0 (32-bit) here running in Windows XP (32-bit).
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:23 AM   #4
azslow3

The dialog itself is Windows provided. MS has an option to customize file selection dialogs, adding extra controls. That is how these extra REAPER specific controls appear in the dialog.

In unfortunate case, the bug is on MS side. But lets wait for REAPER devs.

Windows has 2 styles of file dialogs, "old" and "explorer like". Each Windows version provides own dialog mode, I guess XP has no explorer like version and so the dialog works as expected. In Linux the whole dialog is REAPER generated, there Tab also works correctly.
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:29 AM   #5
Scottsdale

I've tweaked the OP to reflect new info. Couldn't find a way to tweak the thread title though.
Scottsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:47 AM   #6
akademie

Well, I confirm that in Windows 7 (32bit) it does not work correctly (v5.984, 32bit) :-(
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote