Old 12-18-2019, 09:23 PM   #241
fred garvin
Human being with feelings

Oh well if it was just background noise that would be fine, just did it in the living room, no isolation, there's dog tags jingling and whatnot. Weird, the dogs mostly sit and listen. They seem to have some idea that something is going on.

I just feel that I didn't meet my challenge which was to me all about getting a decent performance, which to me is minimum getting through the piece end to end reasonably competently(?), recorded in the time frame, which I didn't do. Stuff like I was talking about, obvious performance or recording issues. Nothing I can blame on the dogs. I took on a lot of new challenges including working to a deadline aaaaand I simply did not succeed. But well worth doing.

Kind of you to take an interest fox, I'll get something together. In the spirit of the thread, I give myself til Monday. (I don't get to spend as much time day to day on this stuff as I'd like.)
Old 12-19-2019, 03:55 AM   #242
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
I finished the sketch version. Now the scary prospect of learning to play this patchy piece of shit in long takes, coz the world needs more youtube movies. I have a late shift entire next week, I wonder if I'd manage to do the learning and re-tracking during the mornings. It'd be like a sub-deadline.
Achievement unlocked

Old 12-19-2019, 07:44 AM   #243
D Rocks

Default Album release before xmas - Mission accomplished

Hey guys,
A few weeks earlier I jumped in and put the objective out here to finish an album of mine before xmas.

I finally got it and published on december 14th it's available on platforms like Spotify, Apple, etc.

D Rocks - Distortions
(about 80% made in Reaper else is old Cubase projects I had to fnish)

Spotify :
https://open.spotify.com/album/0fgzy5v1PlRltNcYkIITzW

Apple Music:
https://music.apple.com/us/album/dis...ign-mpt=uo%3D4
Old 12-20-2019, 12:05 PM   #244
foxAsteria

Ok I updated the list as well as I could. I still need deadlines from Morgon, Tod, ivansc and MatthewMoran since I ditched the month rule. Or should I just default to a month for folks who don't specify? You can pick any date if you wanna participate.

I still haven't had time to listen to anyone's tracks, so I don't have any encouraging feedback rn...

My goal for my holiday vacation is to finish recording some vocals for at least one song by Jan 7. I know a bunch of vocalists here and hope I can get them to help me out...

Last edited by foxAsteria; 12-20-2019 at 12:12 PM.
Old 12-21-2019, 07:56 AM   #245
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Rocks View Post
Hey guys,
A few weeks earlier I jumped in and put the objective out here to finish an album of mine before xmas.

I finally got it and published on december 14th it's available on platforms like Spotify, Apple, etc.
Entire albums in weeks, damn some people here are efficient.

Here's mine (started from scratch 27.11):

https://soundcloud.com/zeekat/the-fourth-shift

That's what I have after starting with a couple of kinda cinemating sounding string keyboards. They sounded sweet, then I ruined it with guitars. Jam structure is kinda V-shaped, intro is beatless cheezy sci-fi jam, then it slides down into the heaviest bit right in the middle then digs itself out into spacey cheese again, just as planned.

I'll probably use the rest of time before the declared deadline to try to make Vegas stop crashing. Shot the entire "session" retracking this thing last week with my phone in 1080 and turns out my computer doesn't like editing it.
Old 12-27-2019, 04:05 AM   #246
fred garvin

Double fail! First I failed to get a decent take in my guitar n vox cover challenge, then I failed to post my fail by my self imposed second deadline. But so hey here it is now. I dunno, I couldn't do this at all a year ago, so I'm almost not embarrassed. I'm just going to call it proof of concept.

It's not very good! Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/WNDaXMvLYuY
Old 12-27-2019, 05:24 AM   #247
MatthewMoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Ok I updated the list as well as I could. I still need deadlines from Morgon, Tod, ivansc and MatthewMoran since I ditched the month rule. Or should I just default to a month for folks who don't specify? You can pick any date if you wanna participate.
I recorded my guitar parts & bass, keys, and I've got the drum stems mixed in. I am re-doing vocals today and Sunday. Hoping to drag my guitar player into the studio to get his parts in the next week.

So... deadline...
January 20th.

It's somewhat arbitrary. I'd actually like it sooner but I'm in and out with some business projects in the first couple weeks of the year.

Quote:
I still haven't had time to listen to anyone's tracks, so I don't have any encouraging feedback rn...
What??? Pretty selfish of you to have a life and things to attend to.

Just kidding... hoping to publish a couple updates soon.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:25 AM   #248
zeekat

Quote:
I finished the sketch version. Now the scary prospect of learning to play this patchy piece of shit in long takes, coz the world needs more youtube movies.
YT wankery deployed

Old 01-02-2020, 10:16 PM   #249
Garrick

Awesome!
I'm in!

I have a tune called old days and it has hung around taunting me that it will never be finished. The taunting will end 10th Jan 2020.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:04 PM   #250
Garrick

Half finished but good exercise to force the issue. Thanks Fox for the thread

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....38#post2230138
Old 01-10-2020, 02:40 PM   #251
foxAsteria

Sorry I'm lagging so hard on this thread but I'll have some time to catch up this weekend... Also need to set a new deadline for myself...
Old 01-10-2020, 03:28 PM   #252
lunker

Alright, I'm in!

Our beloved 13-year-old Golden Retriever passed away in March 2018. She was the first dog I ever had, and completely turned me into a "dog person".

I immediately wrote a poem in tribute to her, and a few months ago I decided to try to make a song of it.

My goal is to finish it by May 3rd, which would have been her 16th birthday. A stretch goal is to finish it by March 26, which is the 2nd anniversary of her death. I think I'm on track.

The verses are written, a chorus (not in the original poem) added. Chord progression for the intro, chorus, bridge, and ending are done, but there are a few questions about the best chords for the verses. The basic arrangement is decided, but there are some options on the table (does it really need drums?, should I add a few extra instruments like mandolin and synth violin for variety? ...)

Here's the original poem:

Dog Hair (2018-03-26)
=====================

There's dog hair on the floor,
And dog hair on the couch.
There was a piece of dog hair in my lunch,
And now I've got dog hair in my mouth.
There's dog hair floatin' up in the air.
(Even dog hair in my underwear!)
If there's one thing I can't stand
It's all this dog hair.

But I'd rather have the dog hair
Than to have had no dog at all.
She taught me how to love,
And how to throw a ball.
She showed me I can live my life
Like I don't have a care.
Now all that's left are memories ...
... and dog hair.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:04 PM   #253
morgon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrick View Post

Major validation there Garrick, excellent, got some authentic Neil Young, Zeppelin acoustic vibe going on. Imo you should make an album or ep, put harmonica on some tracks, mandolin maybe, it's a genre that will always be cool, cheers.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:16 AM   #254
Garrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgon View Post
Major validation there Garrick, excellent, got some authentic Neil Young, Zeppelin acoustic vibe going on. Imo you should make an album or ep, put harmonica on some tracks, mandolin maybe, it's a genre that will always be cool, cheers.
mucho thanko Morgon

Great to at least break the seal
Old 01-11-2020, 03:20 AM   #255
Jorgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrick View Post

That's just beautiful. And what morgon said.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:18 PM   #256
foxAsteria

Finally catching up on checking out your tunes, friends of lateness!

Zeekat! How do you manage to keep all those parts in your head? Hard to believe you're just faking your way through these proggy beasts...very nice work!

D Rocks - I don't have a spotify acct, but the samples on Apple sound nice and beefy with a healthy variety of flavors!

Garrick - Way to put some heart in there! I'm a big fan of that type of drum sound, tho I can never seem to achieve it. The bass is a bit overbearing, but the way it fits with the kick is magic, like a Fleetwood Mac track.

Fred Garvin - I think I've heard that one before... heheh, well done though, I've never managed to learn that one myself...

Matthew Morran - sounds like a very solid start and already a pretty tight mix. Should be a snap to finish this week eh?

Morgon - I like the vox and the drums are sounding tighter. Great guitar tone too!

Hope I didn't miss anyone...

I'm setting myself a deadline for Feb 23. Gotta finish a hip-hoppin mini-album for my bro's bday that's been in the works for years... Won't have any rapps unfortunately, cos my bro's still a closet procrastinator/perfectionisto...
Old 01-16-2020, 12:30 PM   #257
zeekat

Quote:
Zeekat! How do you manage to keep all those parts in your head? Hard to believe you're just faking your way through these proggy beasts...very nice work!
The power of having no life and being able to assign a lot of time to projects like that. Gathering everything in single takes is frustrating as hell but I hate myself just enough to do it. Entire week's free time burned for learning and tracking.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:57 PM   #258
foxAsteria

Quote:
Entire week's free time burned for learning and tracking.
Well it seems most people spend their free time consuming and talking bullshit...to spend yours learning and creating is no cause for shame.

But I hope you find some time to also play with others too. As great as it is to have total control of a composition, direct collaborations tend to produce more magic (as I'm sure you know). I actually need to take this advice as well, but I'm a pretty stubborn hermit...
Old 01-16-2020, 02:07 PM   #259
zeekat

Quote:
But I hope you find some time to also play with others too. As great as it is to have total control of a composition, direct collaborations tend to produce more magic (as I'm sure you know). I actually need to take this advice as well, but I'm a pretty stubborn hermit...
Does it ever happen when you're past 25 and not doing it for a living? I wasn't a social butterfly (to put it mildly) when younger and now when everyone's like 40 and having sensible occupations it feels impossibly distant. I can be in wrong place I guess.

This is one of things I admire in long running bands (especially in niche genres). Stars really had to line up hard to get (and keep) many people with similiar obscure interest together.
Old 01-16-2020, 02:50 PM   #260
karbomusic

Quote:
Does it ever happen when you're past 25 and not doing it for a living? I wasn't a social butterfly (to put it mildly) when younger and now when everyone's like 40 and having sensible occupations it feels impossibly distant. I can be in wrong place I guess.
I'm 56 and gigging as much as I care to gig. It gets harder to get people together due to everyone having jobs and kids but most of the people whom I gigged with decades ago, who are still around, still gig. It is harder but doable with the right peeps.
Old 01-16-2020, 02:56 PM   #261
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I'm 56 and gigging as much as I care to gig. It gets harder to get people together due to everyone having jobs and kids but most of the people whom I gigged with decades ago, who are still around, still gig. It is harder but doable with the right peeps.
You're a pro, though, aren't you? Probably born in a guitar case or something
Old 01-16-2020, 04:24 PM   #262
foxAsteria

Quote:
Does it ever happen when you're past 25 and not doing it for a living?
Well sure I've been in this camp for a long while. And yea, you either have to look for younger musicians or deal with people's egos, drug habits or busy schedules but just sayin, it'll get harder the longer you don't do it and playing with/around others is a separate skill from playing alone and really the main way music can lead to anything else in life. Just my observation.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:46 PM   #263
karbomusic

Quote:
You're a pro, though, aren't you? Probably born in a guitar case or something
Nah, I didn't start playing until I was almost 19. I mean I've played in lots of bands since then, and for about 10 years all I did was gig and mix live shows but it's all been part-time, after work and weekends since 2001. Even though I somehow have been able to play with a lot of great musicians over the years, I have always had to work harder and struggle more than everyone around me because it's less natural to me... because I started so much later than most anyone I play with.

So if there is anything I do well, which probably ain't much, I sure the hell wasn't born with it. I've had to scratch and claw for every little bit I have from day one. I think I'm just so stubborn, I just keep going regardless of defeat.

Beyond that, much of it is having your foot in the door and knowing enough people who know how to get from point A to point B - so that every time one wants to get something going it isn't really starting from square one.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:59 PM   #264
zeekat

Screwed myself over by not being a networking type. Still a good trait in a solo black metal projects circuit tho.

Heh Karbo, 19 is when I got my first guitar. I thought everyone started earlier.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:18 AM   #265
Studiodawg

I started playing bass at 17. Told my fiance, "I'm a musician. Are you ok with that?" as a pre-nup. 33 years later I gig every week, started a radio station, recorded a dozen albums with my friends, made 100s of location recordings for schools and churches. These are all things I've accomplished after and around being a family man and holding down a full time day job. The point is, if it's in your blood, really in your blood, you'll persevere, sacrifice, dedicate and do it because you love it, first. If you don't love music that much, you'll always have excuses instead of "getting it done". So, on that note, have fun and enjoy yourselves!
Old 01-17-2020, 11:20 AM   #266
karbomusic

Quote:
Heh Karbo, 19 is when I got my first guitar. I thought everyone started earlier.
Everyone around me did, but not me... that's usually the problem. I have always had to work 10 times harder than everyone else pretty much always. I relate to stuidodawg, good, great or shitty, it was in my blood enough, it's just something I persevere and do regardless.

Can't wait for tomorrows gig... :/ 8:30-11:30 PM, outside (covered) with 100% chance of rain @ 4 Celsius - not sure what the crowd will do but a small portion of the bar area is covered while still outside. From the summer when it was nice, warm and clear...

Last edited by karbomusic; 01-17-2020 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:27 AM   #267
Studiodawg

karbomusic...hopefully there will be alcohol for the patrons! My gig tomorrow is at a winery, indoor, but about 100% chance of snow/ice on a travel that takes us 50 miles from home. All in a days work, right karbo?!
Old 01-17-2020, 11:31 AM   #268
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studiodawg View Post
karbomusic...hopefully there will be alcohol for the patrons! My gig tomorrow is at a winery, indoor, but about 100% chance of snow/ice on a travel that takes us 50 miles from home. All in a days work, right karbo?!
Yes sir! It's sort of our home club and I love that gig but dammit Jim, we'll be loading all our gear and carrying it through 200 feet of rain just to set up.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:39 AM   #269
Studiodawg

I've been meaning to post on this thread, but ummm...I was procrastinating!
Old 01-17-2020, 12:32 PM   #270
foxAsteria

Quote:
I've been meaning to post on this thread, but ummm...I was procrastinating!
But setting a deadline is about the easiest way to get a quick dopamine fix. You don't even have to meet the deadline to feel as though you did something. At least that's my theory about why us procrasters love putting things off so much...
Old 01-17-2020, 12:58 PM   #271
Studiodawg

Thank you foxAsteria! Upon completion of this sincere procrastination, I will set a deadline to set some deadlines, in a little bit.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:31 PM   #272
Pinknoise

Quote:
Thank you foxAsteria! Upon completion of this sincere procrastination, I will set a deadline to set some deadlines, in a little bit.
Groundhound day deadlines are the ultimate procrastinator's dream !

Jedi trick: This is not the deadline you are looking for...
Old 01-22-2020, 03:03 AM   #273
Bubble07

Hi all,

Thanks for the invite Fox.

I'm putting myself down for a tune every week since my hard drive is littered with projects of starts, endings, middles, skits, jingles, and almost finished but not quite satisfied songs.

So by 25/01/20 I will have finished mixing a comedy song I re-recorded 3 years ago called Mrs Hand. I've been struggling to get the vocal & bass takes I'm satisfied with so I'm just going comp down what I have and say blah that'll do.

https://soundcloud.com/fi-lo-249446903
Old 01-25-2020, 10:10 AM   #274
Spine Of God

Default I was born unfinished :(

This thread called me. Hard.

Hi. My name is SoG, and I am a procrastinator. I make dozens of “demo”s and never finish em.

There is no cure.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:03 PM   #275
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spine Of God View Post
There is no cure.
There is only try.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:06 AM   #276
Garrick

Welcome
Old 01-26-2020, 12:14 PM   #277
Pinknoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spine Of God View Post
This thread called me. Hard.

Hi. My name is SoG, and I am a procrastinator. I make dozens of “demo”s and never finish em.

There is no cure.
Maybe because SOG also means "See Of Green" ?
The would explain procrastination in part...
Old 01-29-2020, 02:50 PM   #278
Spine Of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinknoise View Post
Maybe because SOG also means "See Of Green" ?
The would explain procrastination in part...
You’re too damned good, detective!

Thanks all, it feels good to be surrounded by procrastinators. Not getting knife-attacked here.

Or worse.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:55 PM   #279
zeekat

Do not-quite-audio projects count? I have a track ("Permanent") I made a couple years back, overdubbed some new guitar already and feel like making a video to it(not a playthrough one for balance, just glue together a bunch of cool clips I'll hopefully find).

Would try to finish editing before march the 1st. Should be enough time to steal enough clips from the internet and navigate between Vegas crashes.
Old 02-04-2020, 05:48 PM   #280
foxAsteria

Quote:
Do not-quite-audio projects count?
Sure! This is just a support group for helping The Unfinished fulfill their destiny...any effort in that direction counts.

Ideally we should feel good about the result, but also not be too discouraged if we sometimes fail to make the journey.

I'll put you on the list.