Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 01-20-2020, 05:22 AM   #1
Jortaana
Human being with feelings

Default Allen Heath SQ6 and Reaper routing

At work I have a new mixer SQ6 and I read that Reaper is a good DAW to use. Actually both environments are new to me. I have studied the mixer a little and Reaper too. I would like to make a multitrack recording and set microphones to several instruments. There is a problem how routing is done. I have installed ASIO driver and I use Windows laptop. The console is in usb B mode (I/O). How should I put I/O settings in the mixer and in the computer?
Jortaana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:38 AM   #2
beingmf

Since I don't own one of these neither have recorded on one, my advice:
pick one the several dozen Youtube tutorials for those desks. I guess it's rather simple once you get the hang of it.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:19 PM   #3
serr

These mixers with the built-in interface are plug and play on the Mac but usually require a driver install for Windows. If it doesn't just show up as a connected audio interface when you plug it in, look into that.

It's a digital mixer already and clearly states it has a 32 x 32 USB interface, so you should be golden with no hidden bs. Web page didn't say 'Mac only' either.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:51 AM   #4
Jortaana

Could somebody explain what that 32x32 USB interface means. Yes, I am a newbie:-)
Old 01-21-2020, 10:10 AM   #5
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jortaana View Post
Could somebody explain what that 32x32 USB interface means. Yes, I am a newbie:-)
32 inputs and 32 outputs.
You will see 32 inputs in your DAW that you can assign to tracks as you please. You will see 32 output channels that you can assign outputs to from your DAW.

The board likely has insert points right after the mic preamps where the interface connections land. The inputs would come right off the preamp (allowing you to mix live without altering the raw dry recording). There are probably 'return' switches on every channel to switch between the mic preamp feed and the return from the interface. Allowing you to play back from the DAW to channels on the board or use a DAW as an insert live on select channels.

However...
These style of USB interface having boards don't usually sport ultra low latency like some interfaces aimed at live use. To insert a DAW and still run live sound, you'd have to run a very low block size (like 32 samples) and you'd be really limited to what plugins you could use. So no one really does that too much. It's marketed more for a "virtual soundcheck" ability. Most folks just record live multitrack and mix live sound with the integrated digital mixer.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:47 AM   #6
Jortaana

Thank you! At first I thought it would be nice to bring the recorded audio back to the console and mix with it but I learned that mixing is done using daw. I need to check the routing because I used metronome on recording only. When I played back the track click was heard and it was not supposed to be heard.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:02 AM   #7
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jortaana View Post
Thank you! At first I thought it would be nice to bring the recorded audio back to the console and mix with it but I learned that mixing is done using daw. I need to check the routing because I used metronome on recording only. When I played back the track click was heard and it was not supposed to be heard.
For post production mixing, no mixing board can really compete with a DAW. It's no slight on the board. Just wildly different scope. The board will be setup for 'meat n potatoes' live sound work. You COULD mix back on the board 'old school' to avoid the learning curve of the DAW. Some people do just that. IMHO the learning curve for the digital board would be greater and the workarounds for stuff that's easy in the DAW environment would be a PITA. Your greatest bang for the buck would be learning the DAW.

Now for live sound...
I've been using Reaper for that for the last 10 years myself. You know what though? Mixers like that X32 rack have me covered for what I do live. I like their OSC setup. If I was starting today, I might just go straight to that for live sound and just record with a computer. Still 100% using the DAW for everything post mixing and mastering though. I'll guess this board might be similarly convenient for live sound.

Re: clicks and pops
Board selected as the audio interface?
Sample rate set with intention?
Block size set with intention?

You're gonna want to read at least the 'getting started' bits on both Reaper DAW and that board. Those 3 things I just mentioned and the basic how to route audio from point A to B in both Reaper and that digital board.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:47 PM   #8
Jortaana

I have watched one series of videos on youtube about recording a band. I guess I just have to try all those different things and learn things slowly. As this is all quite new to me, it takes a little time to understand the vocabulary(not a native speaker) too. But I take this as a hobby and it is really interesting. I have once gone through the sq6 manual and mixed a few shows with the desk so it is getting more familiar.

SQ6 has 96khz sample rate. Do I need to change the sample rate in Reaper?

Last edited by Jortaana; 01-21-2020 at 09:46 PM.