Old 06-29-2020, 04:47 AM   #1
TPB3333
Human being with feelings

Default Instruments

Hey,

I know the titles suggests otherwise, but I'm not new to reaper. I'm aware that reaper comes with no instrument vst's. And that's perfectly fine, but I do need instruments.

Maybe this post will get a bit too lenghty for what I'm trying to ask haha.

What for me personally is a bummer is that worked with a few different daws (luckily with student discounts) in my search for the right one for me, and with that spend some money for the sounds they had to offer. Now I find myself returning to reaper every once in a while and liking it's editing capabilities and the routing so much over other Daws.
Yeah it has it's flaws and I still think that Reaper has a lot to improve and straight out of the box has some weird options and settings defaulted. But I'm loving it everytime, except for that I have no instruments to pick.

I collected some stuff over the years, but most of what I used were the instrument libraries of Studio One and Logic.
I'm not wanting to spend a ridiculous amount of money on like kontakt or komplete.
And they also don't have to be top tier quality. Just diverse enought to have a lot of different sounds (like strings, woodwinds, percussion, marimbas, harp etc). So have you any suggestions on more budget friendly standalone instrument libraries?

Regards
Toon
TPB3333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:24 AM   #2
Stella645

Spitfire BBCSO Discover would be a good starting point for those types of instrument and you can get it for free.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:56 AM   #3
jazzmandan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPB3333 View Post
ust diverse enought to have a lot of different sounds (like strings, woodwinds, percussion, marimbas, harp etc). So have you any suggestions on more budget friendly standalone instrument libraries?

Regards
Toon
There is lots of free to low cost instruments out there for the finding... You can start by looking here. Then ask around to get endorsements and see if the sounds are worth the effort to download. Be careful not to download stuff you will never use.

For me, this free download falls into the category of no-brainer.

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a...stra-discover/

edit...
Stella, beat me to it.
Which only goes to show how popular this item is.
"significantly better than bad..." - Dell XPS i7, 16G Ram, Win 10 64Bit, REAPER 64Bit, MOTU Audio Express, PG Music - BIAB 2020, Kontakt 5, more VSTs than I know what to do with. Will trade all to play the guitar and keys better!
jazzmandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:26 AM   #4
Pintspiller

Do a Googlesearch for free VSTi and join free VST and VSTi groups on Facebook or whatever social media you are a member.

A lot of free stuff is crap, but there are some diamonds to be found. It will all depend on your own taste and preferences as what you like, that's why I haven't listed any free instruments by name.
Pintspiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:31 AM   #5
TPB3333

Thanks for the replies! Just requested the Spitfire BBC
I had to do a crazy survey but from what I've heard from the sound demo's it's gonna be absolutely worth it.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:45 AM   #6
jazzmandan

Quote:
Thanks for the replies! Just requested the Spitfire BBC
I had to do a crazy survey but from what I've heard from the sound demo's it's gonna be absolutely worth it.

hehe, mark your calendar, 14 days to the day!
"significantly better than bad..." - Dell XPS i7, 16G Ram, Win 10 64Bit, REAPER 64Bit, MOTU Audio Express, PG Music - BIAB 2020, Kontakt 5, more VSTs than I know what to do with. Will trade all to play the guitar and keys better!
jazzmandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:18 AM   #7
vdubreeze

Also, aside from the BBC orchestra, the other Spitfire freebies are well worth having. Some great stuff in there.

As far as getting a library together, there are loads of free sfz instruments, which are wav files and a file with all the mapping and etc info so the quality can be as good or bad as any wavs, and a VST sfz player. The free version of TX16wx will play sfz sinstruments and will load and play Logic EXS Sampler format instruments.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:00 PM   #8
TPB3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
Also, aside from the BBC orchestra, the other Spitfire freebies are well worth having. Some great stuff in there.

As far as getting a library together, there are loads of free sfz instruments, which are wav files and a file with all the mapping and etc info so the quality can be as good or bad as any wavs, and a VST sfz player. The free version of TX16wx will play sfz sinstruments and will load and play Logic EXS Sampler format instruments.
Yeah I tried the TX16wx out but it seemed to be really really unstable. With a lot of crashes and long loading times. I don't know if that is common? I also tried the free demo of Structure 2 and I must say that is exactly what I need. A sampler where you can drag in your own samples and also has an extensive libraby. But it had some weird bugs and it seemed like it wasn't supported that well anymore so not a very bright sight. Still considering it though. Any similar stuff to Structure?
Old 07-02-2020, 07:11 PM   #9
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Yeah I tried the TX16wx out but it seemed to be really really unstable. With a lot of crashes and long loading times. I don't know if that is common? I also tried the free demo of Structure 2 and I must say that is exactly what I need. A sampler where you can drag in your own samples and also has an extensive libraby. But it had some weird bugs and it seemed like it wasn't supported that well anymore so not a very bright sight. Still considering it though. Any similar stuff to Structure?
When you're running third party VSTi/VST plug-ins in REAPER there is an option to run them in buggy compatibility mode. Click on the little + sign in the FX window, then Compatibility settings.

In short, this can possibly allow you to use a plug-in that is buggy and might otherwise cause REAPER to crash (but at a resource cost). If you Google you'll be able to find more detailed technical info.
nicholas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 12:16 AM   #10
Starpainter

Check out Labs from Spitfire, all free, and very good quality:

https://labs.spitfireaudio.com/
Starpainter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 02:34 AM   #11
martifingers

And a free drum sampler that plays superbly with REAPER?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdqTwMx0a5c
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote