Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 07-23-2020, 01:19 PM   #1
Hex Enductor
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper crashes immediately with Padshop

I am using Win10, Reaper 6.12c x64, and had bought the Steinberg absolute collection a while ago. Finally got around to installing Padshop and Retrologue. Used Steinberg's downloader/installer program.

So, I open Reaper, go to insert instrument box, pick Padshop and I am back to my desktop after a couple seconds. No Reaper crash box appears, no windows crash box, etc. Reaper is gone. This happens if I try the vsti or the vst3i version of Padshop. I am not sure what would be helpful for more information, but below is the info I copied from the Event Viewer as far as I could tell, with both versions of Padshop having just crashed and sent me back to my desktop:

Faulting application name: reaper.exe, version: 6.1.2.2, time stamp: 0x5ee7df6c
Faulting module name: Padshop.vst3, version: 2.0.10.47, time stamp: 0x5e9efa3c
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000002c9077e
Faulting process id: 0x3fd0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d66129890c64e6
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\reaper.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\Steinberg\Padshop\Padshop.vst3
Report Id: 62e216de-a5fa-4a7a-a76a-3db48f95b0c5
Faulting package full name:

Faulting module name: Padshop.dll, version: 2.0.10.47, time stamp: 0x5e9efa3c
Faulting process id: 0x1674
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6612abb31b4af
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins\Padshop\Padshop.dll
Report Id: bad110d8-a6cb-4f5c-9061-b6282f6e291e

Retrologue also does it, but not as often. I just played with Retrologue for a few minutes just to test it, but it has done it before too.

Thanks for any help or info on this if possible.
Hex Enductor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 11:23 AM   #2
MarkVa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex Enductor View Post
I am using Win10, Reaper 6.12c x64, and had bought the Steinberg absolute collection a while ago. Finally got around to installing Padshop and Retrologue. Used Steinberg's downloader/installer program. I go here https://essaywriters.site/best-dissertation-writer for a help and hire a professional writer.

So, I open Reaper, go to insert instrument box, pick Padshop and I am back to my desktop after a couple seconds. No Reaper crash box appears, no windows crash box, etc. Reaper is gone. This happens if I try the vsti or the vst3i version of Padshop. I am not sure what would be helpful for more information, but below is the info I copied from the Event Viewer as far as I could tell, with both versions of Padshop having just crashed and sent me back to my desktop:

Faulting module name: Padshop.vst3, version: 2.0.10.47, time stamp: 0x5e9efa3c
Faulting process id: 0x3fd0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d66129890c64e6
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\Steinberg\Padshop\Padshop.vst3
Report Id: 62e216de-a5fa-4a7a-a76a-3db48f95b0c5

Faulting module name: Padshop.dll, version: 2.0.10.47, time stamp: 0x5e9efa3c
Faulting process id: 0x1674
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6612abb31b4af
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins\Padshop\Padshop.dll
Report Id: bad110d8-a6cb-4f5c-9061-b6282f6e291e

Retrologue also does it, but not as often. I just played with Retrologue for a few minutes just to test it, but it has done it before too.

Thanks for any help or info on this if possible.
Try to re-install all components at first.

Last edited by MarkVa; 08-07-2020 at 05:01 AM.
MarkVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:07 AM   #3
Hex Enductor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkVa View Post
Try to re-install all components at first.
Hi MarkVa,

Thanks for your reply. I did uninstall completely both Padshop2 and Retrologue. I then uninstalled even the Steinberg installer software just to start completely fresh again.

I then installed the Installer, and then through it reinstalled both Padshop2 and Retrologue. Sadly, I still get the crash immediately, especially with Padshop2 and go right back to my desktop. Retrologue will load sometimes, I would say about 20-30%, but the rest of the time it sends me right back to my desktop too.

The little thing I started to notice, is that after my crash to desktop, once i try to open Reaper back up, I see a small white window "flash" behind Reaper's little load up box, for a split second, that it doesn't do any other time for me. Only after this happens.
And then, once Reaper is opened again, my Insert Instruments box is still open from before, with the Steinberg instruments (Padshop2 vsti and vst3i, and Retrologue vsti and vst3i) but the "ok" button is grayed out, so I have to press cancel to start over.

It is only happening with these 2 instruments like this, I have Arturia, IK, Native Instruments stuff, etc, loads of things, but have never run across anything like this. Plus, being a new guy, it has me completely lost.

Unfortunately, I have tried to contact Steinberg several times, but they have no concern I guess in customer service. I saw on their forum users were saying Padshop was crashing in multiple hosts, but nothing was ever solved as far as I know, so I was hoping someone here may have had some similar experience like me.

Like I said before, any info or help is totally appreciated, and I do thank you for trying to help me.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:21 AM   #4
solger

In the FX Browser, right-click on the plugin name and try if running the plugin with (a combination of) any of these options helps:
  • Run as > Separate process
  • Run as > Dedicated process
  • Buggy plugin compatibility mode

Some additional info is available here: https://reaperblog.net/2012/02/run-p...cated-process/
And in chapters 6.13 (VST and VST3 FX Compatibility Settings) and 16.16 (Bridging and VST Plug-in Run Mode) in the User Guide.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:34 PM   #5
Hex Enductor

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
In the FX Browser, right-click on the plugin name and try if running the plugin with (a combination of) any of these options helps:
  • Run as > Separate process
  • Run as > Dedicated process
  • Buggy plugin compatibility mode

Some additional info is available here: https://reaperblog.net/2012/02/run-p...cated-process/
And in chapters 6.13 (VST and VST3 FX Compatibility Settings) and 16.16 (Bridging and VST Plug-in Run Mode) in the User Guide.
Thanks so much Solger for this info, I didn't have a chance to try yesterday because of work. I really appreciate you and others taking time out their important day to help.

These instructions seemed to have their moments and they worked much better for the Vsti version of Padshop2, Retrologue and the Vst3i of Retrologue. They at least loaded most of the time (but still had some crashes, but at least I can kind of open them now and see whats up instead of mostly instant crashes). But, the Vst3i of Padshop is hopeless with the instant crash/desktop loop.

I tried different combinations to get these to semi-work. What seems to be most effective right now is for having them set in FX Browser (Retrologue Vsti and Vst3i, as well as Padshop2 vsti,) as "Default (set in Prefs/Vst)" and also having Buggy Plugin Compatibility Mode checked.

I tried combinations in the "Default/Separate/Dedicated" choices, and sometimes it would seem to want to load, but I'd see the round loading icon, and right back to desktop. Once they kind of worked this way, I immediately tried to make simple 4 bar sequences of all three plugins in reaper just to see if they could record but most importantly, reload in Reaper after I closed them. So, they do but not all the time, lol. Sometimes, they load fast and correctly. Other times, I will see it "loading" and then right back to desktop. I would say the thing I noticed is if once it didn't load on say, the vsti version, then attempting the vst3i wouldn't work either. I would have to shut Reaper, or load something else instead. But, at the very least I am getting some progress to get them sometimes usable now.

And like I said, the Padshop2 vst3i is dead on arrival. Reaper to desktop every time.

I am now basically just trying to get either one set of the VSTi's or the VST3i's to load every time, and then I'll delete what other set doesn't work, to try to salvage using these plugins. It's a shame because from what I have seen now, both are pretty nice sounding instruments that seem to have a lot of potential.

Thanks again for your brainstorming! Very awesome to see people here help a newbie way out of my league on this, lol!