Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 12-06-2018, 08:36 AM   #1
fbeauvaisc
Human being with feelings

Default Precision & Smooth Scrolling with Mousewheel

Hi,

It's been a very long goal for me to achieve a smoother scrolling response from Cubase and the same issue now applies to Reaper and I was wondering if there are any solutions as Reaper keeps surprising me.

My issue is that scrolling ether horizontally or vertically or zooming is very jumpy using the mousewheel. When I look at Kenny Gioia's tutorials, it seems super smooth and so I assume he is using a track pad. Yesterday, I tried a surface dial and even though the dial sucked pretty bad and I ended up returning it, the scrolling was also very smooth.

I'm using an expensive Logitech g502 gaming mouse that is suppose to be super precise. My scolling is set to only one line at a time in Windows 10 but in Reaper, it jumps a lot. I would be sooooo happy to finally get smooth and precise action from the mousewheel.

Thank you,
fbeauvaisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:06 AM   #2
serr

You mentioned "gaming" mouse. Some of these use their own proprietary drivers instead of the stock OS mouse/trackpad driver. The proprietary driver could be having a conflict or it could have been missed being installed and it's the stock driver struggling with the hardware.

Logitech m305 here. Scrolling is just as smooth as using a trackpad.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:11 AM   #3
fbeauvaisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
You mentioned "gaming" mouse. Some of these use their own proprietary drivers instead of the stock OS mouse/trackpad driver. The proprietary driver could be having a conflict or it could have been missed being installed and it's the stock driver struggling with the hardware.

Logitech m305 here. Scrolling is just as smooth as using a trackpad.
I have a few other mice here I could try. Is you mouse has smooth as using the hand tool?

The Logitech gaming driver is installed but there seems to have no scroll adjustments, only dpi adjustments.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:54 PM   #4
fbeauvaisc

I've now tried with 4 different mice a DELL WM311, a logitech M185, a Logitech M510, a & finally the Logitech G502. Also, the trackpad on my XPS laptop also is jerky and not smooth.

None of them give me smooth scrolling of zooming for that matter. I'm getting desperate for a solution. I know it's possible because it looks super smooth in Kenny Gioia's tutorial about scrolling. Is it mac vs pc thing?

The only time this was smooth is with the surface dial I tried yesterday using the same mousewheel as the action trigger. I would love to finally get this issue resolved. I'm looking for a smooth scroll and zoom like when using the hand tool or the side scroll bars.

Am I crazy or will I ever get that working?

Thanks,
Old 12-07-2018, 07:20 AM   #5
fbeauvaisc

Ok so I found those in another thread that help a lot. I thought I had tried but it didn't work but adding a bunch of them followed by ends up working at reducing sensitivity. I'm relieved!

Action: Modify MIDI CC/mousewheel: -10%

or

Action: Modify MIDI CC/mousewheel: 0.5x
Action: Modify MIDI CC/mousewheel: 0.5x

Followed by

View: Scroll vertically reversed (MIDI CC relative/mousewheel)

On tiny little thing still bothers me but I can live with is that using this custom action, it seems to add delay to the wheel when scrolling fast. It's not that I didn't want fast scrolling, I wanted smooth scrolling. Anyway I can stop obsessing now.