Old 10-17-2016, 07:07 AM   #81
Sju
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb0 View Post
open the script code and go to the line 1566 which reads - local val2 = F_limit...

on the blank line after this (line 1567) could you add: DBG(val2)

Then rerun the script. Now each time you turn a control it will show you the val of val2 in the msg window. Could you turn the knob to where the graphic disappears and post the value of val2 at this point.

Also - what computer system are you on? (as I don't have this bug on my windows systems)
Ok tried this. The knob disappears when val2 reaches 100. But, the value on the knob and the actual parameter in the plugin hasn't then reached maximum yet: the Amount (%) in JS: Saturation is still at 99.0 at this point.

I'm using Windows 7 and Reaper 5.26
Sju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:11 AM   #82
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sju View Post
Ok tried this. The knob disappears when val2 reaches 100. But, the value on the knob and the actual parameter in the plugin hasn't then reached maximum yet: the Amount (%) in JS: Saturation is still at 99.0 at this point.

I'm using Windows 7 and Reaper 5.26
Val2 should not actually reach 100! (0-99 frames)

Ah thanks - will try out JS Saturation.

Will get back with a fix
lb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:28 AM   #83
lb0

Quote:
Val2 should not actually reach 100! (0-99 frames)

Ah thanks - will try out JS Saturation.

Will get back with a fix
Ok - bug found. In the controls folder please edit the__Default.knb file. Change frames value from 101 to 100. I'm an idiot - and changed the default knob type last minute last night and didn't correct the frame count.

Any affected controls in saved strips will need to be reassigned within the script. You can easily do this by dragging each parameter from the list back over each relevant control (should be outlined red). Then when all done - resave the strip.

I will make sure I update the downloadable files pronto.

EDIT: You will also need to reselect the control image - to load the new control info to the control on the grid.

EDIT2: You may only need to do the step outlined in EDIT above. Then resave the strip. Obviously the .knb file still needs correcting first or the bug won't be fixed.

Last edited by lb0; 10-17-2016 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:37 AM   #84
Sju

Nailed it.

By the way, if you lock the control window width and height from the menu, are you still supposed to be able to scroll it sideways with the mouse wheel? I think I'd prefer a way to completely lock it down to prevent accidental movements.

Ah, and additional feature requests came to mind:

- ability to set default value for the knob, and reset to it by double-click.
- unipolar/bipolar/reversed operation (i think these could be useful too, if you ever implement the custom transfer curves & multi parameter operation).

PS. you might wanna set up a Paypal accout for donations before you release this :P

Last edited by Sju; 10-17-2016 at 07:44 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:49 AM   #85
lb0

New update to the LBX Stripper.lua script file.

Fixed: VAL OFF slider changing the wrong value.
Fixed: When hiding the left track bar in LIVE MODE - bits of the menu could reappear along the edge when a control is moved.

Apologies to those affected by the earlier frame count bug for the __default.knb file. I'm hoping this is fixed now.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:56 AM   #86
lb0

Quote:
Nailed it.

By the way, if you lock the control window width and height from the menu, are you still supposed to be able to scroll it sideways with the mouse wheel? I think I'd prefer a way to completely lock it down to prevent accidental movements.

Ah, and additional feature requests came to mind:

- ability to set default value for the knob, and reset to it by double-click.
- unipolar/bipolar/reversed operation (i think these could be useful too, if you ever implement the custom transfer curves & multi parameter operation).

PS. you might wanna set up a Paypal accout for donations before you release this :P
Ok - good point. if it is locked X and Y - I guess no scrolling at all should be allowed. Will fix asap.

You can already set the default value of a knob and reset it using Ctrl click. (double clicking is a bit of a faff to set up). Set the default value in the CTL OPTIONS. Sometimes - if you have the script window too small - bits of this menu can be hidden off.

I already have thought about the multi parameter knobs (macro style). I think I know how it's going to work - and also how to set the limits etc. This should take care of the uni/bi polar settings. But would be good to hear any specific ideas you have for how you envision this to work. Strength curves will be incorporated for these macro controls. Next major update though - get this beta stable and fully functional first.

I also can see some users wishing to have very narrow script window - so a sort of vertical strip 500 style. I hadn't thought of that really as an option - and the top bar gets truly messy if the window gets even slightly narrow. I'll have to think about how to reformat the top bar to allow for this.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:02 AM   #87
BenK-msx

Great work had little try last night, big buzz around this, kudos.

One thing is that ability to mouse wheel adjust parameters would be v handy, e.g if scrolling of strip disabled, or via option.

Anything else will edit but looking good
Old 10-17-2016, 08:08 AM   #88
Sju

Quote:
You can already set the default value of a knob and reset it using Ctrl click. (double clicking is a bit of a faff to set up). Set the default value in the CTL OPTIONS. Sometimes - if you have the script window too small - bits of this menu can be hidden off.
Doh, yeah, just figured this out. Nice. Yeah double-click logic is a bit of a bitch Ctrl-reset is fine.

Quote:
I already have thought about the multi parameter knobs (macro style). I think I know how it's going to work - and also how to set the limits etc. This should take care of the uni/bi polar settings. But would be good to hear any specific ideas you have for how you envision this to work. Strength curves will be incorporated for these macro controls. Next major update though - get this beta stable and fully functional first.
Sweet! I'll have to think about it, but in my experience Bitwig and Camel Audio Alchemy do this kind of multiple source/destination modulation very well. I'll try to put together some kind of a summary about the potential ideas and problems.

Quote:
also can see some users wishing to have very narrow script window - so a sort of vertical strip 500 style. I hadn't thought of that really as an option - and the top bar gets truly messy if the window gets even slightly narrow. I'll have to think about how to reformat the top bar to allow for this.
Yep was gonna mention the resizing thing. I think making it flexible and robust in all kinds of docked situations from the get-go would pay off. Well, it's already very good except for the top bar.

PS. one thing I noticed: the left sidebar is still very narrowly visible when you click the hide arrow at top left. Is this intentional? Would be also nice if you could hide the scrollbars completely with a fixed size control window.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:17 AM   #89
lb0

Quote:
PS. one thing I noticed: the left sidebar is still very narrowly visible when you click the hide arrow at top left. Is this intentional? Would be also nice if you could hide the scrollbars completely with a fixed size control window.
Fixed in latest upload of the lua script file - I noticed this too and it bugged me!

Oh yeah - the scrollbars are easily hidden as there is a non-visible setting to disable them. will need to make it visible!

they aren't currently scrollbars - just location indicators - but if people request them to be made into full scrollbars then can be done.

EDIT: technically - you may still want the location indicators even when scrolling is locked because you can essentially access extra 'lanes' by using the up/down arrows next to the X Y lock buttons. This is so that you still get the benefit of the entire page (2048x2048) if you want it.

Last edited by lb0; 10-17-2016 at 08:29 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:22 AM   #90
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
Great work had little try last night, big buzz around this, kudos.

One thing is that ability to mouse wheel adjust parameters would be v handy, e.g if scrolling of strip disabled, or via option.

Anything else will edit but looking good
I'll need to consider a few things to do this. If the control area contains loads of controls - it would need to check the location of each one to see if the mouse is hovering over it. But I guess this is similar to checking if a control has been clicked - so will see how much it'll affect CPU load... I'll only need to check mouse over if the wheel is moved - so it won't be each iteration. I may be able to incorporate it alongside the checking for changed values within the plugin...
Old 10-17-2016, 09:08 AM   #91
Vincent Sermonne
Petit manitou

Default dock view

For right dock view it have a problem for minimize... sorry it's better with a gif for understand me.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:11 AM   #92
Sexan

little hard to keep up whats going on regarding knob dissapearing,but after editing this line from
Code:
local val2 = F_limit(round(frames*v2),0,frames-1)
to
Code:
local val2 = F_limit(round(frames*v2),0,frames-2)
everything is ok

btw DBG(val2) shows that max frames are 100 while knob is dissapearing,but when editing to frames -9 its 99 and its all fine
and I'm using latest code

edit:nevermind after deleting and adding knobs again everything is fine! (did not read your whole post)

Last edited by Sexan; 10-17-2016 at 09:45 AM.
Sexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:50 AM   #93
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexan View Post
little hard to keep up whats going on regarding knob dissapearing,but after editing this line from
Code:
local val2 = F_limit(round(frames*v2),0,frames-1)
to
Code:
local val2 = F_limit(round(frames*v2),0,frames-2)
everything is ok

btw DBG(val2) shows that max frames are 100 while knob is dissapearing,but when editing to frames -9 its 99 and its all fine
and I'm using latest code

edit:nevermind after deleting and adding knobs again everything is fine! (did not read your whole post)
That will sort of fix it (frames-2) but would never display the last frame. as long as you change the __default.knb file to have 100 frames (not 101) then it should all work itself out. If you don't fix this file the problem will remain for all future projects. I have fixed this in the resources download zip file.

val2 should be frames-1 max - as 100 frames = frames 0-99.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:52 AM   #94
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Sermonne View Post
For right dock view it have a problem for minimize... sorry it's better with a gif for understand me.

Yep - I'll be working that one out soon - I didn't envision it being docked vertically when I first designed it.

Might have to make some controls disappear though if the script window gets too narrow - maybe accessed through a dropdown menu.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:18 PM   #95
albatteur

Great Work. Thx
albatteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:27 PM   #96
Vincent Sermonne
Petit manitou

It would be great if the script window could remain in the dock to open the project in the state during the backup.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:46 PM   #97
lb0

Quote:

Hi,

Have uploaded a new LBX Stripper.lua file to github.

Hopefully the above problem is now solved. Buttons will disappear if the screen gets too narrow and a dropdown menu option will appear in place.

Let me know if this is ok.

The grid options have now moved to the settings menu.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:50 PM   #98
lb0

Quote:
It would be great if the script window could remain in the dock to open the project in the state during the backup.
What do you mean? The script window should open in whatever dock position it was last in. But you might need to hit the SAVE button or open and close the settings menu to get it to save it's position correctly.

Sadly - I cannot get it to save automatically all these settings when you save the project as it would need to know when the project is being saved and I've not worked out a way to do this. So the dock position should be saved when the settings are saved - either on pressing the SAVE button (I think), or when switching out of the settings menu. Possibly also when switching from EDIT mode to live mode (this is when the control data is saved).

EDIT: Ok - you need to open and close the settings menu to save the dock state - or close the script window. I will add the SAVE button to save the dock state also.

Last edited by lb0; 10-17-2016 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:09 PM   #99
lb0

Quote:
What do you mean? The script window should open in whatever dock position it was last in. But you might need to hit the SAVE button or open and close the settings menu to get it to save it's position correctly.

Sadly - I cannot get it to save automatically all these settings when you save the project as it would need to know when the project is being saved and I've not worked out a way to do this. So the dock position should be saved when the settings are saved - either on pressing the SAVE button (I think), or when switching out of the settings menu. Possibly also when switching from EDIT mode to live mode (this is when the control data is saved).

EDIT: Ok - you need to open and close the settings menu to save the dock state - or close the script window. I will add the SAVE button to save the dock state also.
unless you mean for the script to stay open when you load Reaper? - this is possible - it would have to be selected as a startup script (I think by default you only get one - but I think there may be a way to have more than one script load with Reaper if you want).
Old 10-17-2016, 02:40 PM   #100
RJHollins

Knowing this is in early beta ... and working very well ...

A question of numeric readout. While I can appreciate the accuracy of multi decimal places, might it be possible to provide an option to choose the number of decimal places ? This would help with the display and readability.

RJHollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 02:52 PM   #101
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Knowing this is in early beta ... and working very well ...

A question of numeric readout. While I can appreciate the accuracy of multi decimal places, might it be possible to provide an option to choose the number of decimal places ? This would help with the display and readability.

I thought about this last night - when I noticed some plugins (Nebula in particular) showing .000 on the end of most values.

I'm guessing I can try to cut these out on a control by control basis. Obviously some parameters report text - not numbers - so would need to be able to identify what is being returned first (which can be done but not as trivial in Lua as in some other languages).

I will ponder some more and think of the best solution.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:57 PM   #102
swiiscompos

I didn't find how to dock it... I must precise that I am on Mac. Also only the upper half of the number values are updated on my computer.
swiiscompos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:19 PM   #103
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiiscompos View Post
I didn't find how to dock it... I must precise that I am on Mac. Also only the upper half of the number values are updated on my computer.
On windows you can dock it by clicking on the title bar and choose Dock window - or you can drag it to the docker (normally to the edge that you want to dock it to).

Hopefully somebody on Mac can confirm how to do this as I have no access to a Mac.

What do you mean by upper half of number values (is the font chopped across the middle?). I can take a look at the font sizing code if this is what you mean... It might be that the redrawing of the background where the values are displayed is not being measured properly. A video example would be really useful here...
Old 10-17-2016, 03:35 PM   #104
swiiscompos

Quote:
On windows you can dock it by clicking on the title bar and choose Dock window - or you can drag it to the docker (normally to the edge that you want to dock it to).

Hopefully somebody on Mac can confirm how to do this as I have no access to a Mac.

What do you mean by upper half of number values (is the font chopped across the middle?). I can take a look at the font sizing code if this is what you mean... It might be that the redrawing of the background where the values are displayed is not being measured properly. A video example would be really useful here...
I do not think it is possible to dock this way in OSX. Yes, the font is chopped across the middle. So the upper half updates but not the lower half.
swiiscompos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:47 PM   #105
lb0

Quote:
I do not think it is possible to dock this way in OSX. Yes, the font is chopped across the middle. So the upper half updates but not the lower half.
ok - that seems odd (the font drawing). Will have a think about this tomorrow.

Do you have any font size adjustment settings set within the OS?

Does anyone else on a Mac experience this?

Regarding docking - how is it normally done on a Mac?
Old 10-18-2016, 12:21 AM   #106
lb0

Quote:
Hi Swiiscompos - is there any chance you could post a screenshot of the font issue please. I don't want to make any changes unless I'm certain what it might be - and I have to say I've currently no idea. Perhaps a font issue - but from your description - i assume it at least draws the fonts ok first time. then when you turn a knob it only updates partially. Are your knobs too close to eachother vertically - this would have that effect due to the way they are drawn.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:36 AM   #107
NextLevel

Nice job!

A few things that might be nice:

1) An option to show a parameters value and name only, so no actual control graphic.
2) When selecting a parameter to add to the strip it would be nice to either expand the parameter list both horiz. and vertically or a scroll bar, or a search function. This is because some plugins can have hundreds of parameters and scrolling with the mouse through the list may take too long.
3) Perhaps a way to group select prameters from the list using shift or ctrl, it would make adding multiple parameters to the strip a lot quicker.

Thank you for this wonderful script.
NextLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:59 AM   #108
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextLevel View Post
Nice job!

1) An option to show a parameters value and name only, so no actual control graphic.
2) When selecting a parameter to add to the strip it would be nice to either expand the parameter list both horiz. and vertically or a scroll bar, or a search function. This is because some plugins can have hundreds of parameters and scrolling with the mouse through the list may take too long.
3) Perhaps a way to group select prameters from the list using shift or ctrl, it would make adding multiple parameters to the strip a lot quicker.

Thanks,

1) Yep this would be possible and quite easy - although could also be achieved already by creating an 'invisible' png - ie - all transparent. I would possibly suggest this over adding a setting to hide the image - because it could get confusing if you hit the option by accident and suddenly a load of the knobs disappear. Also - not adding extra logic would be preferable as I would assume this would be fairly uncommon usage. Will need to have a ponder as to what would be best.
2) You can expand the list vertically if you stretch the window vertically. It would be possible to expand horizontally also - but the sidebar annoys me at the best of times due to its size - I'm not sure I'd want it suddenly taking up half the screen. Will think about whether it's worth it. Due to the way the sidebar is blitted to the screen - the code has become a bit messy and needs tidying already.
3) Multiselect parameters from the list - good idea - will look into it. Not sure when or how long this will take though - but there's normally a simple solution to these things.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:06 AM   #109
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextLevel View Post
Nice job!

An additional note:

2) The up down grey arrow bars at the top/bottom of the parameters list should page up and down through the parameters. So if you make the script window large vertically - you can scoot through the list pretty quick with these no??
Old 10-18-2016, 03:36 AM   #110
lb0

Hi all,

New update to the LBX Stripper.lua file.

Added ability to multi select fx parameters from the parameter list (use Ctrl to select more than one parameter) - and drag to grid.

Also fixed a small drawing offset bug which depended on the size of the parameter name text. This has been bugging me for a number of days - but working on the above update helped me to spot what the problem was It was nothing major - but when you moved a control - sometimes it would shift by a pixel on the grid. Hopefully this is now not going to happen.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:17 AM   #111
Vincent Sermonne
Petit manitou

Quote:
Hi,

Have uploaded a new LBX Stripper.lua file to github.

Hopefully the above problem is now solved. Buttons will disappear if the screen gets too narrow and a dropdown menu option will appear in place.

Let me know if this is ok.

The grid options have now moved to the settings menu.
Super !

Can be as visible tabs for different window would be faster.
A dialog box to enter values would be very useful.
Already in the state it's really great. This is a function that should exist natively in Reaper !
Old 10-18-2016, 04:30 AM   #112
Sexan

Can you please post the link of the github in the first post or set it to your signature,hard time finding it
Old 10-18-2016, 04:31 AM   #113
lb0

Quote:
Super !

Can be as visible tabs for different window would be faster.
A dialog box to enter values would be very useful.
Already in the state it's really great. This is a function that should exist natively in Reaper !
I'll look into setting parameters by number value - this would probably work ok for numeric values - not sure how for other values though.

What do you mean by: Can be as visible tabs for different window would be faster?
Old 10-18-2016, 04:39 AM   #114
Vincent Sermonne
Petit manitou

Quote:
I'll look into setting parameters by number value - this would probably work ok for numeric values - not sure how for other values though.

What do you mean by: Can be as visible tabs for different window would be faster?
Sorry for my french

Old 10-18-2016, 04:54 AM   #115
lb0

Quote:

Actually - it seems setting say an EQ frequency value by number (eg typing 100 - for 100Hz) - is not technically possible. There is a function in reaper which will give you the formatted value if you feed it a normalized value (between 0 and 1) - but very few plugins actually use it - and therefore it would not work in most cases.

The only other way to do it (I can think of) would be to start setting the knob value progressively from 0 to 1 - reading the formatted value from the plugin, deciphering the plugin value (removing non-numerical parts etc.) - and keep doing this until you hit upon the right value... This is incredibly messy - and still may not find the correct value in all cases.

Will keep thinking about this - but I would say it may not be successful.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:58 AM   #116
4x4uk

Quote:
Hi all,

New update to the LBX Stripper.lua file.

Added ability to multi select fx parameters from the parameter list (use Ctrl to select more than one parameter) - and drag to grid.

Also fixed a small drawing offset bug which depended on the size of the parameter name text. This has been bugging me for a number of days - but working on the above update helped me to spot what the problem was It was nothing major - but when you moved a control - sometimes it would shift by a pixel on the grid. Hopefully this is now not going to happen.
Was just about to report that minor issue of knobs moving ever so slightly no need to now then you fixed it already
4x4uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 05:00 AM   #117
Vincent Sermonne
Petit manitou

Quote:
Actually - it seems setting say an EQ frequency value by number (eg typing 100 - for 100Hz) - is not technically possible. There is a function in reaper which will give you the formatted value if you feed it a normalized value (between 0 and 1) - but very few plugins actually use it - and therefore it would not work in most cases.

The only other way to do it (I can think of) would be to start setting the knob value progressively from 0 to 1 - reading the formatted value from the plugin, deciphering the plugin value (removing non-numerical parts etc.) - and keep doing this until you hit upon the right value... This is incredibly messy - and still may not find the correct value in all cases.

Will keep thinking about this - but I would say it may not be successful.
In my case, it is the MIDI note values that interest me. With a dialog box that's easier and faster than a knob
Old 10-18-2016, 05:03 AM   #118
Sexan

btw is it possible to implement some kind of modifier to reset the value to default ? alt + click , double click or something else?
Old 10-18-2016, 05:03 AM   #119
lb0

Quote:
Sorry for my french

I've watched the gif 100 times - but am still not quite sure what you're implying.

Do you mean you would prefer the 1234 page selectors to be always visible? That would be possible.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:04 AM   #120
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexan View Post
btw is it possible to implement some kind of modifier to reset the value to default ? alt + click , double click or something else?
Already there - DEF VAL in CTL OPTIONS. Use Ctrl-click control to reset to default.