Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-03-2017, 08:28 AM   #1
srdmusic
Human being with feelings

Default Control Track Volume with CC 7 Possible?

Is it possible to control Track Volume with CC 7. I know that I can assign CC 7 to move the track volume but that only works if I write track automation. I want to be able to write CC 7 into a midi item on the track and then have that midi item send CC 7 to the track volume instead of too the in instrument on the track. Is this possible without using track automation?
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:53 AM   #2
michael diemer

Absolutely. Just go to Event List. I like to hit the "insert" key on my keyboard. A dialogue will open up. Put in the channel number, type of event (controller), type of event (volume=7) and finally value (0-127). You have to put in two CC events if you want to use both CC7 and CC11, one for each.

Personally, I use CC7 for the overall or base volume level, to equalize my various vsti's. Then I use CC11 a to fine-tune it "on the fly." This is the usual method. There are exceptions. For Garritan Personal Orchestra, for example, you only use CC7 for volume for the percussion inst's. They don't respond to CC11. I think this is so they can be louder. And for some vsti's, like East West Symphonic Orchestra, CC11 actually changes the timbre of the inst. For example, a CC11 of, say, 90, will give you a soft French Horn. Whereas a CC11 of 110 will give you a "brassy" or edgy horn. But with their strings, it functions more as a volume setting.
michael diemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:41 AM   #3
ashcat_lt

The MIDItoReaControlPath plug will let you get the CCs from a track into the control path where they can affect the track faders, if that's really what you want. If the instruments on the track respond to CC7, though, you'll have to try to route around it somehow, and if it's one of those that responds to any MIDI channel that comes in, that might get tricky.

I do wonder why you think this would be better than letting CC7 do what it's supposed to do on the synth plugs themselves. I think this way is pretty limiting and I really don't like the idea of spamming track MIDI to the control path. Does it have to actually move the track fader for some reason?
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 02:56 PM   #4
mschnell

ReaPack provides "Midi Volume", which I uploaded some time ago.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote