Old 11-26-2019, 07:04 PM   #1
raindogred
Human being with feelings

Default Recording video in Reaper direct

Hi guys,
Is it possible? From what I can see, it isn't possible. Thought ceck in here and ask

I'm just looking for the easiest way to record videos of myself playing acoustic guitar, electric or singing while actually recording into my daw.

I use a macbook, and can record myself in Quicktime and set the Audio source to my interface, or a usb mic. Then i can import that into Reaper or Garageband and edit the audio etc etc. I know how to do all that.

The limitations of that are, that I can't set a click or play along with a backing.

Excuse the dumb question, if this has been asked many times in the past.

I haven't used the forum in a while..surprisingly I remembered the password..on logging in it said the last time I logged in here was 2008 haha

I've been looking at this for a few hours. trying to find a daw that has video capture. We live in the youtube era these days..in 2008 it was still fairly new. Wondering how to do this easily without having sync video, mess with a bunch of different softwares and work arounds
any suggestions?
cheerts
Steve
raindogred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 01:46 PM   #2
JamesPeters

Reaper doesn't record video.

The only workaround that I can think of: record your audio in Reaper, while also recording video using a separate app. Then import the video into Reaper and align it to the audio.

If you can't record audio in the video file for the sake of aligning the video to the audio recording in Reaper (since maybe recording 2 audio sources in different apps won't work), record the video with no audio but use the clapperboard approach. You can even do this by clapping your hands together at the start of the video, or anything else that provides enough visual information of the exact moment of the audio spike you create in the process (for aligning it with the "clap" sound you record in the audio track).
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 05:09 AM   #3
mikefloutier

Thanks for this James, I'm in a similar position, been recording audio in Reaper, happily, for ages, BUT now am getting into recording and streaming video to be useful in lockdown.

I have been using OBS, which shares much of Reaper's ethos, and it's been great for streaming audio to Facebook etc for church meetings and stuff.

However, having got up to speed there, I rather fancied the idea of "doing a Reaper" type multi-track video/audio music recording.

I had a lot of fun, I downloaded a friend performing her own song on keyboard and vox from Facebook and thought I'd build up a multi-track recording using hers as a guide track.

In the fun of building up each part, guitar bass and drums (which I hadn't played for years) I just slipped into what actually amounted to old-school overdubbing. I did not really notice that, since I was not saving any individual parts of audio, or video, I was burning my bridges in terms of any post-production mixing, processing, syncing etc. All I could manage was to tinker with the sync between the audio and video in the final overdub. To late matey!

Anyway, it was a lot of fun, even if it left a bit to be desired on the creative front from a video pov.

I did toy with sharing it with her but thought; "there must be a better way"

So, here I am! And I'm sure I'm not alone.

I've looked and asked around but haven't heard anything that grabs me yet apart from your very sensible suggestion to capture the video and audio separately and bring them to the altar in Reaper for the Grand Union of syncing and processing.

It's funny how it's only this current thing that's encouraging us to think outside the box a bit. This business of live lock-down collabs is something that been tentatively tried in the past and given up on due to the latency issues.

However, we've never before, in the history of our particular technology, had such a strong incentive to have another go at it.

What I'm getting more involved in, with my musical friends, is what I loosely call "semi-live 2 location music streaming". This simply involves the "Leader unit" (one or more singer/instrumentalists) streaming their output to a Facebook group (consisting of them AND what I call the "Engineer unit"). The Engineer unit (again one or more singer/instrumentalists) add this stream to their OBS content and re-stream to where-ever is appropriate.

Before going "live", we do a test stream to ourselves privately in order to set an proper mix of levels and processing; we also assess how much delay is needed for good sync, and having saved all this we can then go "live".

The drawbacks are not really that different to a typical recording studio where:

1. The author of the guide track can't hear or see the rest of the band, and
2. The band, although they can hear the guide and SOME other instrumentalists, can't see anyone else as they are in separate isolation booths.

But for the semi-professional this can be daunting at first and requires a degree of diligence to accomplish well.

An improvement on this is suggested by some cool and very experienced Russian music software engineers called Audiomovers - https://audiomovers.com/about_us/

It doesn't get around not seeing your collaborators, but we can use Zoom, or the shortly emerging offerings of Mr Zuckerberg.

Interesting times!

Thanks again for the suggestion James.
mikefloutier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 07:05 AM   #4
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Reaper doesn't record video.

The only workaround that I can think of: record your audio in Reaper, while also recording video using a separate app. Then import the video into Reaper and align it to the audio.
OBS can be used where the audio stream is pulled directly from the interface and recorded along with the video (by setting up an additional audio source and pointing it to your sound card) - there is a setting for an offset so that the audio can be aligned during the video/audio recording with a little trial and error which can be saved as part of the OBS settings for the camera used.

Then, just pull the recorded video into reaper and further process the audio stream contained within - that's about the shortest path, which I often use when in a hurry.

Otherwise, as you mentioned, record the video with camera audio + reaper audio as a separate wav then sync the waveforms visually in reaper after the fact. For that method one can clap their hands at the camera and align the claps in the two wavforms but if the audio is fairly clean/dynamic, the clap isn't needed because it's easy to see the commonalities in the waveforms.

It is also possible to live stream a reaper live mix in concert with OBS but there has to be some way to loop back the audio to get it from reaper then into OBS - I do this quite a bit but it's easier for me because my RME sound card has loop back built in.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:33 AM   #5
mikefloutier

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
OBS can be used where the audio stream is pulled directly from the interface and recorded along with the video (by setting up an additional audio source and pointing it to your sound card) - there is a setting for an offset so that the audio can be aligned during the video/audio recording with a little trial and error which can be saved as part of the OBS settings for the camera used.

Then, just pull the recorded video into reaper and further process the audio stream contained within - that's about the shortest path, which I often use when in a hurry.
Many thanks KarboMusic, that confirms my thinking. I was daft not to preserve the various individual audio and video parts for subsequent processing and alignment; it was in the heat of the virginal moment; I am now repenting at leisure. Never mind, it was all good practise.

Fortunately I still have the original guide part so I'll just man up and "do it again", in the words of the old Steely Dan song.

Thanks again!
Old 05-11-2020, 08:48 AM   #6
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefloutier View Post
Many thanks KarboMusic, that confirms my thinking. I was daft not to preserve the various individual audio and video parts for subsequent processing and alignment; it was in the heat of the virginal moment; I am now repenting at leisure. Never mind, it was all good practise.

Fortunately I still have the original guide part so I'll just man up and "do it again", in the words of the old Steely Dan song.

Thanks again!
Another thought is if the audio comes in a little out of sync, you can make a copy of the video item in reaper to another track then glue it - which will make that one just audio - then you can slide/nudge that one for the final alignment and mute the audio in the video track (by alt-clicking the IO button on the video track). There may be away to delay just the audio on one track but if so, I just don't know what it is off hand.

I do various combos of video/audio in reaper all the time so if within my wheelhouse of duties, I'm happy to answer questions. I don't do much video editing in reaper these days, but I do do a lot of audio in reaper that goes with video that I capture in OBS or directly on my Sony mirrorless camera.
Old 05-11-2020, 04:41 PM   #7
woland99

Default Video in Reaper

I posted this on FB jazz guitar group answering friend's question - I think parts of of it are applicable here so I am reposting.
--------------------------------
I use Zoom U44 USB interface. For guitar sound I either use my pedalboard (compressor, booster, od, volume, delay,eq,reverb, tremolo) running into Carl Martin RockBug amp emulator then into U44. Or - if I use BIAS FX2 I plug directly into U44. BIAS FX2 is a new thing for me - I had previous version and it had more latency and I never bonded with it. But current version is very good - you do not get that weird disconnected "spongy" feel when you pick and there is too much latency. And amp/effect models seem to have more "body" - for lack of better word. Still not the same feel as I get from pedalboard and RockBug but there is undeniable flexibility - if I just want to play with few different sound in BIAS FX2 it is a matter of few clicks - on pedal board it reconnecting cables etc. So for practice and recording like for PJG I think I will stay with BIAS. In Reaper you can use BIAS FX2 plugin either as input effect or output effect on a track - which gives you flexibility to tweak sound later. I typically do it as input - since I have some presets of my own that I use all the time in standalone BIAS when I practice. Also I must say bass amp models in BIAS FX are far superior to cheap Behringer bass stombox that I have - no comparison.

To answer your question - I never tried to record video in Reaper directly - that is interesting idea (although unfortunately not possible). I put backup track in Reaper - and record my track while in the same time recording video on iPhone. That is not too bad because it allows me to record several video tracks on iPhone - laying down comping, bass and solo. Audio part will remain in perfect sync on Reaper. Then I can transfer all the video files to PC (just USB cable) open all of them in video editor (I use sth cheap called VideoPad but completely sufficient for my tasks) - align them using peaks in recorded backup track - eg. clicks - then put them together on split screen, use any kind of video effects I want and export that video out. Then import that file to Reaper and again use audio - clicks etc to align it with audio in Reaper. Then I typically just mute audio part of video track. It will not be 100% perfect but your eye will not detect it - same way your ears can hear very slight audio misalignment. And of course if I just have single video I can import that file directly into Reaper. I set audio part of video track in Reaper to 0 (not mute track because that mutes video too). I do any type of mixing I want on audio tracks - I am not at all a proficient person in it - just use simple adaptive iZotope Neutron plugin that does most of the heavy lifting. Then I render video from Reaper and typically as last step run it again through video editor to get better compression. That last weekend HW was 600MB when rendered by Reaper and 45MB when I imported and exported into video editor.

I know it sounds complex but it is really not bad - that last weekend homework - I started recording 11:35PM and 11:55PM I was ready to upload compressed video to FB - so all the recording, mixing, transferring, rendering and compression took 20 mins.
-------------------------------------
I hope that helps.
woland99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 05:00 PM   #8
mikefloutier

Thanks guys, so, no direct video recording in Reaper.

To be honest I’m surprised, especially considering how popular video is today.

All that video processing and you can’t record the raw material???
Old 05-11-2020, 05:15 PM   #9
woland99

Quote:

To tell you the truth I really do not see any advantage for Reaper to include video recording - it would only help me in a very narrow set of tasks when I want to record and post quick raw video on say FB. For anything else you would want the whole battery of bells and whistles - all kinds of way to manipulate video that would unnecessarily bloat Reaper. And there are already programs out there that are doing it better - so why waste development cycles. I'd rather have Reaper concentrating on product as it is. Perhaps if there is one feature - they could add it would be easier way to synchronize audio in audio track.
woland99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 01:13 AM   #10
mikefloutier

Thanks Woland,.

The style of project I am looking at doing quite a bit is similar to a traditional audio project where I start with a guide track and build up subsequent tracks one at a time, whilst monitoring what has been recorded already, ie. A typical single-handed Reaper audio production.

In this case I want to do the same thing but with video as well as audio, not sure if I made that clear.

My feeling was that I could make a complicated recording and post production mixing set up a little simpler if I was able to record both video and audio in Reaper.

The short answer, of course, is that I can’t, so I am now looking for the best/easiest way to record video and audio simultaneously and then import all the separate video and audio files into Reaper for syncing and rendering.

I have been working a lot with OBS recently for streaming and recording so I’m tempted to try this initially for the video recording side. Obviously it’s not dedicated to video processing but rather broadcasting, but at least I would be one step further down the line in gaining skills for capturing all the individual parts of video and audio rather than just having one big overdubbed file that can’t be usefully processed.

Having got that under my belt I think I would then progress to fresh fields in terms of video production but I don’t want to try and run before I can walk.

Hope this makes some kind of sense, I know it’s a bit long, but it helps me to think it through by talking it through.

Thanks for being there guys!
Old 06-29-2020, 03:45 PM   #11
ianr

Default Video recording in reaper would be REALLY useful!

The simple ability to record video in Reaper (along with multiple audio tracks obviously) would be very useful to me indeed and I'm amazed more people aren't shouting about it. Reaper's existing basic video editing tools make it handy for those occasions when you have a fairly complex audio setup but only simple video requirements; but they would be made so much more useful if you easily record a video stream from a "webcam" type camera too.

Since the coronavirus lockdown Canon have released drivers for their digital cameras to enable them to be used as super high quality webcams and I'm using my EOS M6 MkII in this way. I've got my audio interface connected-up so that I can have, for instance, a Zoom meeting using the Canon for high def video and multitrack audio interface for my stereo instrument and voice. This all just works and it's all so easy.

I'd like to be able to, say, record a quick lesson for a student using this exact same set-up in Reaper: hit record and get a video track plus 3 audio tracks laid down. As it stands it's so much more of a pain to record the video separately on the camera, copy the files to the PC, line everything up etc etc for what feels like should be done with a simple button press.

Surely this could make Reaper a killer tool for musician vloggers who have simple video but more complex audio needs?

And for doing Jacob Collier/Pomplamoose style multitrack audio/video recordings it would be great at the tracking stage - even if the video was then later edited in a more sophisticated package.

I think things have changed since lockdown and different tools are needed, so Reaper please consider direct video recording :-)
ianr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:22 PM   #12
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Quote:

As far as I understood, it could be doable as an extension, as Reaper gives us access to the video-processor from both, FX-plugin and extension-plugin sides.

Truth is: no one, to my knowledge, looked into this yet. I stumbled across two C-header-files on Justin's server but I have almost no C-knowledge, so it's impossible for me to to something with it.

And the other coding gurus are already too busy with their extensions, scripts, etc.

So yes, it could be codeable, but now, it's not yet attempted by someone to my knowledge.

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:49 PM   #13
BenK-msx

Oft requested, probably quite easy to implement (a tiny utility can do it) and has dozens of useful applications.

Maybe if enough people say they are offended by it's absence they might look into it.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:19 PM   #14
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meo-Ada Mespotine View Post
As far as I understood, it could be doable as an extension, as Reaper gives us access to the video-processor from both, FX-plugin and extension-plugin sides.
What video processor? At the the OS level, cross-platform is possibly a big can of worms. It's similar to audio, enumerate devices, exposing their control panels etc., then dealing with setting or allowing to be set all the video capture params etc. In Windows it's going to likely be via direct show:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win.../video-capture

But as I said, it isn't going to be make an API call and press a record button; there's a myriad of variables to deal with both from the basic capture side and what users would want to do side. As far as grabbing the default video device, and recording at the default settings, not such a big deal but that isn't what people are going to settle for. I wrote a couple apps a decade+ ago to capture/use video, I personally thought it was a pain in the ass. Don't forget, video formats are the wild wild west compared to audio containers and formats, severely fragmented if you ask me.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:34 PM   #15
Meo-Ada Mespotine

I mean the video-fx-chain for a lack of a proper term.

These are the files in question:

https://landoleet.org/dev/video_frame.h
https://landoleet.org/dev/video_processor.h

They give you access to it. I have no idea how exactly. Maybe one could write a vst-plugin, which would do the recording/playback of videos and pipe the videoframes through to the video-processor with them?
Maybe not?
The number of comments in these header-files is inconclusive.

I also think, that synching is probably the biggest problem with it. Audio is faster to record, the latency of video is much bigger, unless you have extremly fast capturing-ports and harddrives/SSD/whatever. And as you said, the number of available video-formats is another pitb.
So maybe raw-video would be the only possible way but the amount of data that needs to be transferred...

Old 06-29-2020, 07:06 PM   #16
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meo-Ada Mespotine View Post
I mean the video-fx-chain for a lack of a proper term.
Ah, I thought that was just a custom interface for handling video frames and none of the stuff for getting those frames from a video device.. but instead from a track that has a video item whose video frames you wish to process?
Old 06-29-2020, 10:21 PM   #17
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Maybe. As I said, i understand of cpp as much as a bird about flying a spacecraft. So I could be completely wrong about the things I think the headers are about.

Would be a nice experiment to see, what could be theoretically done and what not, to see, if there's a path in the first place.

But as long as you can put a frame into the videochain, there should be no reason to not put a video from the outside through it.
And if you can do that, sending videos to the videochain from any input would be possible as well.

So a videoplayback-plugin would be a way to start that.

Old 08-30-2020, 07:14 AM   #18
dadada

just a little bump on this.
I think having a a way to record video in reaper would be amazing.
For there are a ton of scenarios (for me alone there would be three) where that would be useful.

Is anybody up to giving this a try on osx?
As an extension or plugin or whatever works best?
dadada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 08:34 AM   #19
BenK-msx

To not have this by now is becoming a bit of a blindspot.. it's a free money on the table situation.. pick it up!

Tiny utilies can encode video, to get reaper to do so onto timeline I am sure is pretty trivial.

Loads of use cases.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:11 AM   #20
Bob Blacksheep

Does Reaper’s Python implementation support the COM extension on Windows?

If so it’s conceivable that someone could write a script to instantiate the DirectShow Capture Graph Builder and take it from there.

Ditto Lua. If Reaper’s Lua implementation supported the LuaCOM library then you could probably do it in Lua too.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...-graph-builder
Bob Blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 09:45 AM   #21
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Blacksheep View Post
Does Reaper’s Python implementation support the COM extension on Windows?

If so it’s conceivable that someone could write a script to instantiate the DirectShow Capture Graph Builder and take it from there.

Ditto Lua. If Reaper’s Lua implementation supported the LuaCOM library then you could probably do it in Lua too.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...-graph-builder

Lua does support 3rd-party libraries only under certain circumstances. If it's done in a certain way, it works but most 3rd-party libraries do more stuff, which is not supported by Reaper.

So, theoretically, it would be possible.

Edit:
Snooks made it once:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=225701

Last edited by Meo-Ada Mespotine; 08-30-2020 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:30 AM   #22
Bob Blacksheep

Seems like it might be easier to do in Python.

https://www.programcreek.com/python/...CreateInstance
Old 08-30-2020, 10:30 AM   #23
Bob Blacksheep

Google search for “Python wrapper DirectShow”

https://www.google.com/search?q=Pyth...per+DirectShow
Old 08-30-2020, 10:35 AM   #24
Bob Blacksheep

One more.

Plop this code in Reaper and see if it runs.

????

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/3549096
Old 08-31-2020, 02:35 PM   #25
dadada

Nice to see some action here! Can this be tried on OSX too?
(No windows here)
Old 01-23-2021, 05:59 AM   #26
leafac

Here’s my take on this problem: I built a bridge between REAPER and OBS so that you can start/stop recording in both in sync. The resulting video just shows up in the REAPER timeline, ready to edit.

leafac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 12:05 PM   #27
Meo-Ada Mespotine

@leafac
You should open a thread on the general-forum as well. This is probably very helpful for many many others as well, who almost never check this subforum.

Edit: and this is awesome...

Old 01-23-2021, 01:30 PM   #28
leafac

Okay: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=2395519

And thanks for the nice words 😃
Old 01-23-2021, 01:34 PM   #29
dadada

Default YES!

I just tried it and it works perfectly so far!
Thanks a ton for doing this, it's an amazing solution to use OBS and connect it to Reaper for this task.
Old 01-23-2021, 03:38 PM   #30
Meo-Ada Mespotine

I think I have an idea to avoid the inconvenient custom-setting management, so users don't need additional scripts while you still have control over your code.

I'll look into writing a mod of it.

Old 01-23-2021, 04:16 PM   #31
leafac

@Mespotine: Awesome, I’m looking forward to seeing that.
Old 11-15-2021, 03:09 PM   #32
raindogred

sorry for the bump. Just wondering if anyone has been successfull in recording directly in Reaper using vlc player? I was able to get my web cam connected but really jittery and slow (old microsoft cam). I messed around in OBS, i hate it, couldn't get it to work after weeks of trying, finally could stream my audio using the more pro version OBS (forgot the name), still a lot of messing around. Seems absolutely crazy in 2021 (almost 2022) that you can't directly connect a cam in Reaper when there is so many good editing tools for video currently in Reaper.

Ideally it would be good to just have an all in one solution for average guys who want to have a video cam and a reaper session running. Have the video captured onto a video track and the audio captured ontp another track without the need for installing extra stuff/or relying on third party software. It seems like an obvious inclusion when youtube has been one of the main ways music is distributed, played and watched these days. I'd pay extra for a version of Reaper that included video.

Edit---- I'm not talking about streaming just the ability/convenience to open your laptop/desktop open Reaper hit record and capture a vid of you playing along to Reaper session..even if the sync is out and you have manually adjust and do the clap at the start. I personally like to make vids to send privately to friends to work on collaborative music projects. You kind of loose inspirsation when you have to do lots of extra setup and editing work. I'm sure there plenty of people who want this feature.
geussing it must NOT be an easy implementation as Justin Frankel who has been making music vids on Youtube about as long as anyone in the world would have done it by now anyways sorry if this has been flogged to death elsewhere cheers

Last edited by raindogred; 11-15-2021 at 03:23 PM. Reason: had an extra thought
raindogred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 10:53 AM   #33
profquad

bumping as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafac View Post
Here’s my take on this problem: I built a bridge between REAPER and OBS so that you can start/stop recording in both in sync. The resulting video just shows up in the REAPER timeline, ready to edit.

Thank you, you make great videos, this is very helpful I think for most instances. I am working on a live set and want to use video feed as part of the performance, so I'm hoping to go through Reaper directly, and use video mangling along with the music. I do this already with prerecorded video, but want to include my face lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Blacksheep View Post
One more.

Plop this code in Reaper and see if it runs.

????

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/3549096

not sure how to add code to Reaper or how kosher that is, but has anyone tried this?

Thanks, really appreciate all you guys who are smarter at this than I am
profquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 12:44 AM   #34
leafac

@profquad

First, thanks for the kind words.

Second, if I understand correctly what you want is to process video in realtime in REAPER, just like you can process audio in realtime. Unfortunately, that’s not possible. In fact, REAPER doesn’t record video at all—it just works with prerecorded video files.

If you’re interested in writing code for realtime video processing, I recommend you take a look at https://processing.org/tutorials/video https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...o_using_canvas and so forth.

If you’re interested in tools that don’t require writing code, then I’m afraid I don’t have anything to recommend off the top of my head (I’m a person who tends to write code for accomplishing stuff, as you can probably tell…).