CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 04-02-2017, 12:05 PM   #41
Youlean
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobflip View Post
Thanks for that! I've compiled the test project and starting to have a little fiddle about, looks very well featured, lots of options.

One thing so far - spotted a typo in IPlugGUIResize with the naming of the functions GetWidnowSizeWidthRatio and GetWidnowSizeHeightRatio.
Thanks. I will fix that. It will get even more options in the future. If you have any request or anyone else just write it here.
Youlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 02:38 PM   #42
Bobflip

Ok, sorry for further noobishness but turns out I hadn’t quite got the FFT linking solved after all. While my project compiles if I drag fft.c and fft.h into the Project Headers section and #include "fft.h”, and I can set up variables such as WDL_FFT_COMPLEX FFTBuffer[65536]; without issue, as soon as I try to use any of the routines such as WDL_fft_init() it fails to compile with the ‘Undefined symbols’ error. I've attached a screenshot of the error message.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen-Shot-2017-04-02-at-22.32.jpg (62.3 KB, 247 views)
Bobflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:26 AM   #43
Tunca

Thanks!

But i have problem about AAX.How to set for AAX?

I can build other VST and AU but no luck with AAX.Getting lots of linker error.I set every thing but...

I need advice.

Thanks again!

EDIT: I built IPlugEffect and worked with Pro Tools Dev.

Then i duplicate it with name of my plugin.Replaced .cpp , .h and resource folder.Compiled great.But when i open in Pro Tools,getting black plugin screen and then Pro Tools crashing.

What i missed?Which files should i change?

EDIT 2:Also i changed IPlugEffect's knob.Made selectable knob.6 position.But turning is really hard.Same problem with WDL OL branch.What causes it?

Also still getting black screen with my plugin.

Last edited by Tunca; 04-07-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Tunca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:36 PM   #44
ynohtna

Quote:
Ok, sorry for further noobishness but turns out I hadn’t quite got the FFT linking solved after all. While my project compiles if I drag fft.c and fft.h into the Project Headers section and #include "fft.h”, and I can set up variables such as WDL_FFT_COMPLEX FFTBuffer[65536]; without issue, as soon as I try to use any of the routines such as WDL_fft_init() it fails to compile with the ‘Undefined symbols’ error. I've attached a screenshot of the error message.
What do you mean by having dragged fft.c into the Project Headers section?

fft.c needs to be compiled in your project for the code of its functions & methods to be available when linking. It should not be treated like a header (for inclusion) like fft.h, but added directly to the project alongside your own .c/.cpp source files in the Project navigator.

(I hope this makes sense!)
ynohtna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 02:40 AM   #45
Youlean

Quote:
Sorry, I don't know what should you do...
Old 04-08-2017, 02:41 AM   #46
Youlean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunca View Post
Thanks!

But i have problem about AAX.How to set for AAX?

I can build other VST and AU but no luck with AAX.Getting lots of linker error.I set every thing but...

I need advice.

Thanks again!

EDIT: I built IPlugEffect and worked with Pro Tools Dev.

Then i duplicate it with name of my plugin.Replaced .cpp , .h and resource folder.Compiled great.But when i open in Pro Tools,getting black plugin screen and then Pro Tools crashing.

What i missed?Which files should i change?

EDIT 2:Also i changed IPlugEffect's knob.Made selectable knob.6 position.But turning is really hard.Same problem with WDL OL branch.What causes it?

Also still getting black screen with my plugin.
I am waiting for iLok key, and it should arrive new week so I can test AAX. So for now it is untested...
Old 04-08-2017, 11:00 AM   #47
Tunca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youlean View Post
I am waiting for iLok key, and it should arrive new week so I can test AAX. So for now it is untested...
Thanks for reply.I built AAX with earlevel's branch.Working good.I hope yours will be good.

Also i have issue with AAX signing.Your iLok is 3rd generation?

My iLok 3 arrived but i can't certify it in iLok Manager.I guess PACE not support iLok 3 for development works yet...
Tunca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:19 AM   #48
Youlean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunca View Post
Thanks for reply.I built AAX with earlevel's branch.Working good.I hope yours will be good.

Also i have issue with AAX signing.Your iLok is 3rd generation?

My iLok 3 arrived but i can't certify it in iLok Manager.I guess PACE not support iLok 3 for development works yet...
My iLok will be version 2. I know nothing about it...
Old 04-12-2017, 06:47 AM   #49
Bobflip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynohtna View Post
What do you mean by having dragged fft.c into the Project Headers section?

fft.c needs to be compiled in your project for the code of its functions & methods to be available when linking. It should not be treated like a header (for inclusion) like fft.h, but added directly to the project alongside your own .c/.cpp source files in the Project navigator.

(I hope this makes sense!)
Ahhhhhh, I have it now! :-D

I had misunderstood Youlean asking if I'd included fft.c as well, and as dragging that file into the headers section made my project compile successfully, I thought I was nearly there. Everything's compiling and running smoothly on both OSX and Windows now!

I might knock up a quick infographic in a bit to help other people who may get stuck.

Quote:
Sorry, I don't know what should you do...
No probs, it's sorted now, thanks for your help!
Just a couple of other puzzles to go, then I can start experimenting properly with the GUI resizing :-)
Old 04-19-2017, 01:20 AM   #50
Soundbytes

Default IControlGroup

Thanks Youlean for the effort. Looking at your IControlGroup implementation I just wondered have you once considered making the ControlGroup a control itself?
Old 04-19-2017, 03:57 AM   #51
Youlean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundbytes View Post
Thanks Youlean for the effort. Looking at your IControlGroup implementation I just wondered have you once considered making the ControlGroup a control itself?
This is an interesting proposal. What do you think would be the benefits?

BTW, I am still experimenting with IControlGroup so API might change...
Old 04-19-2017, 04:41 AM   #52
Soundbytes

Quote:
This is an interesting proposal. What do you think would be the benefits?
I would expect that by using the IControls interface for the ControlGroup you could streamline things quite a bit.
An Example: To hide a ControlGroup You would just call the IControl::Hide() method which in turn called Hide() for all included Controls and Control Groups. These could of course be held in the same container.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:48 AM   #53
Youlean

Quote:
I would expect that by using the IControls interface for the ControlGroup you could streamline things quite a bit.
An Example: To hide a ControlGroup You would just call the IControl::Hide() method which in turn called Hide() for all included Controls and Control Groups. These could of course be held in the same container.
Indeed but there are some problems. You can set Draw RECT and target RECT directly by pointer and that wouldn't move connected IControls and this could be a problem. I will think about that. BTW, you can do the same with IControlGroup now...
Old 04-19-2017, 06:55 AM   #54
Soundbytes

Default Gui Resize

I did a little more digging into the code and found that the Gui resize code is spread all over the place.
I would love to avoid checking wether the gui is resizable within each and every call to Draw() and in so many other places.
Couldn't the resizing be driven by a resize event?
This way it could be encapsulated in a IControl::Resize() member function.
I still have to dig deeper to see what is going on. What is the reason You did it this way?
Old 04-19-2017, 07:00 AM   #55
Youlean

Quote:
I did a little more digging into the code and found that the Gui resize code is spread all over the place.
I would love to avoid checking wether the gui is resizable within each and every call to Draw() and in so many other places.
Couldn't the resizing be driven by a resize event?
This way it could be encapsulated in a IControl::Resize() member function.
I still have to dig deeper to see what is going on. What is the reason You did it this way?
This was done because of backwards compatibility with WDL-OL. Mainly it is there if someone doesn't want to use GUI Resize.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:33 AM   #56
Soundbytes

Quote:
This was done because of backwards compatibility with WDL-OL. Mainly it is there if someone doesn't want to use GUI Resize.
I don't understand. IMO the state of the control should already have been set in accordance with the resized gui dimensions before Draw() is called. Keeping that code could get you considerable maintanance headache in the future. (+ it's a waiste of CPU cycles)

Is it for those controls that haven't yet implemented AfterGUIResize? Then we should be able to remove it once AfterGUIResize is in place.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:50 AM   #57
Youlean

Quote:
I don't understand. IMO the state of the control should already have been set in accordance with the resized gui dimensions before Draw() is called. Keeping that code could get you considerable maintanance headache in the future. (+ it's a waiste of CPU cycles)

Is it for those controls that haven't yet implemented AfterGUIResize? Then we should be able to remove it once AfterGUIResize is in place.
We are not thinking on a same thing. Can you tell my what exact part of the code are you looking?
Old 04-19-2017, 09:42 AM   #58
Soundbytes

Sure

IControl.cpp (629)
This is in IKnobLineControl:: Draw() - scaledInnerRadius could be stored as a member variable and updated in AfterGUIResize instead of here.
IControlGroup.cpp(67) - I don't yet understand what is going on there.
IControlGroup.cpp(83) - same here
IControlGroup.cpp(216) - ...

IGraphics.cpp(549)(564)(588)
if (mPlug->GetGUIResize()) controlSize -= 3;
Which three controls need to be kept out of the equation here? Maybe Gui Resize Controls? What if I decide to allow Gui Resizing but do not need the resize Controls? Or a different number of them?

IGraphics.cpp(1099) - IGraphics::IsDirty()
I would always advocate to keep the housekeeping code separated from the actual render cycle. Even if it means adding a few more member variables to the class.
You might also consider using a function pointer to select the appropriate way to recalculate the rect. After all the evaluated condition only changes once in the entire lifetime of the plugin.

IControlGroup.cpp(67)
IControlGroup.cpp(83)
IControlGroup.cpp(216)
IControlGroup.cpp(263) Sorry I have no more time to comment on these today.
(I'll be back tomorrow)

BTW - I understand that IPlug naming conventions are a bit silly but still I think we should stick to those to maintain consistency. Would you consider renaming the viewSelector and handleSelector classes to something like IViewSelectorControl and IHandleSelectorControl?

Finally: I hope I do not come across too picky. I do very much appreciate your effort and frankly this is like an early christmas gift for me.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:13 AM   #59
Youlean

IControl.cpp (629) You are right, I have implemented this long time ago when there where no AfterGUIResize.

IControlGroup.cpp(67), IControlGroup.cpp(83) When GUI resizing is active you must hide controls trough GUI resize class. I will have to find better solution for this... This will be definitely be changed in the future.

IControlGroup.cpp(216) numberOfControls += controlProps.GetSize(); could also be numberOfControls = controlProps.GetSize(); Gets number of attached IControls in a group

IGraphics.cpp(549)(564)(588) This also needs to be changed in the future. For now if you attach GUI resize you will always have last 3 controls occupied by it.

IGraphics.cpp(1099) - IGraphics::IsDirty() This is very stupid. I have done this to quickly fix some drawing glitches and forgot about this. I will check this out!

I will think about changing this names.

No, thank you for suggesting improvements! I really appreciate this. We all should collaborate to improve IPlug IMO.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:45 AM   #60
Soundbytes

Default CairoKnob

Here is a simple Cairo based knob control that I have made today as a proof of concept. The code is available from my fork here: https://github.com/Soundbytes/IPlug-Youlean
Attached Images
File Type: png SimpleCairoKnob.PNG (6.4 KB, 318 views)

Last edited by Soundbytes; 04-20-2017 at 06:53 AM.
Soundbytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:14 AM   #61
Soundbytes

Default Bug?

This looks like a bug to me:
open IPlugGUIResize-app, switch to guiScaling, resize GUI, Doubleclick resize control. the gui disappears and a text is displayed "Reopen ..."
Somehow the execution jumps to IPlugGUIResize:: DrawReopenPluginInterface()
and I have to close the program and restart it again.
This might be a windows specific problem.

Last edited by Soundbytes; 04-20-2017 at 08:23 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:04 PM   #62
mibes

whenever I try to build any of the examples I get errors like this:

Semantic issue:
Use of undeclared identifier 'TRACE'
Member access to incomplete type 'iControl'
Member access to incomplete type 'iParam'

I am using xCode 8.2 - what am I doing wrong? Apologies if a silly question - am fairly novice to all of this.
mibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:51 PM   #63
Soundbytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibes View Post
Semantic issue:
I am afraid I do not have a mac computer here at the moment. To get this fixed I would need a few more informations.
These look like compiler errors. Can you give us the filenames and line numbers that come with the error messages?
- And don't forget to tell which fork you are trying to compile.

Last edited by Soundbytes; 04-21-2017 at 12:00 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:11 AM   #64
mibes

Quote:
I am afraid I do not have a mac computer here at the moment. To get this fixed I would need a few more informations.
These look like compiler errors. Can you give us the filenames and line numbers that come with the error messages?
- And don't forget to tell which fork you are trying to compile.
all are in IGraphicsCocoa.mm

lines 215, 226, 484, 563, 579... (basically anywhere TRACE or IControl is called)

This is for the IPlugEffect example for the Youlean fork. But true in anything that uses IGraphicsCocoa.mm in the examples

Last edited by mibes; 04-21-2017 at 05:07 AM.
mibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:04 PM   #65
Bobflip

I've been experimenting with the GUI Resizing, but I'm finding that when I move the window's handle and change the size of a control in the code, for example with

GetGUIResize()->ResizeControlRelativeToWindowSize(*mMyControl);

The control will resize as expected while I'm adjusting the handle, but when I release the mouse button it will quickly jump back to where it was before I resized the window.

Is there a step I'm missing?
Old 04-22-2017, 12:04 AM   #66
Soundbytes

Quote:
Can You add some code?
Thanks!
Old 04-22-2017, 04:30 AM   #67
Bobflip

Well, that's all the code I've put in there so far! I've had the same issue when modifying the IPlugEffectGUIResize example, and adding this line to void IPlugEffectGUIResize::SetGUILayout

GetGUIResize()->ResizeControlHorizontalyRelativeToWindowSize(*def aultViewIndex);

(actually, just noticed that there's an L missing from Horizontally in that function, but that's a typo in the framework.)
Old 04-22-2017, 05:55 AM   #68
Youlean

Quote:
Here is a simple Cairo based knob control that I have made today as a proof of concept. The code is available from my fork here: https://github.com/Soundbytes/IPlug-Youlean
Sorry for late reply. I will be active for the weekends and maybe Wednesday because of my "day job", just to know.

I would like to have some simple cairo controls like this in the framework. I will see how it would be good way to implement this. I will let you know.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:55 AM   #69
Youlean

Quote:
This looks like a bug to me:
open IPlugGUIResize-app, switch to guiScaling, resize GUI, Doubleclick resize control. the gui disappears and a text is displayed "Reopen ..."
Somehow the execution jumps to IPlugGUIResize:: DrawReopenPluginInterface()
and I have to close the program and restart it again.
This might be a windows specific problem.
I thought that I have fixed this... It will be fixed.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:56 AM   #70
Youlean

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibes View Post
whenever I try to build any of the examples I get errors like this:

Semantic issue:

I am using xCode 8.2 - what am I doing wrong? Apologies if a silly question - am fairly novice to all of this.
Are you building in TRACE scheme? Try changing to release of debug. I still have not yet tested TRACE on mac...
Old 04-22-2017, 06:00 AM   #71
Youlean

Quote:
I've been experimenting with the GUI Resizing, but I'm finding that when I move the window's handle and change the size of a control in the code, for example with

GetGUIResize()->ResizeControlRelativeToWindowSize(*mMyControl);

The control will resize as expected while I'm adjusting the handle, but when I release the mouse button it will quickly jump back to where it was before I resized the window.

I will check this out!
Old 04-22-2017, 06:02 AM   #72
Youlean

Quote:
Well, that's all the code I've put in there so far! I've had the same issue when modifying the IPlugEffectGUIResize example, and adding this line to void IPlugEffectGUIResize::SetGUILayout

GetGUIResize()->ResizeControlHorizontalyRelativeToWindowSize(*def aultViewIndex);

(actually, just noticed that there's an L missing from Horizontally in that function, but that's a typo in the framework.)
It will be fixed!
Old 04-22-2017, 06:12 AM   #73
Bobflip

Excellent! Thanks again for all your hard work :-)

One more thing that's sprung up - been trying to implement an IBitmapOverlayControl, but couldn't get the function call right last night, so tried your duplication tool on IPlugEffect to make IPlugControls, and copied the code from the WDL-OL library. I changed all the LoadBitmap calls to LoadPointerToBitmap (and maybe other tweaks I can't remember atm), but wasn't able to get this working right. Again, not certain if it's me or the framework!

Last edited by Bobflip; 04-22-2017 at 06:19 AM.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:21 AM   #74
Youlean

Quote:
Excellent! Thanks again for all your hard work :-)

One more thing that's sprung up - been trying to implement an IBitmapOverlayControl, but couldn't get the function call right last night, so tried your duplication tool on IPlugEffect to make IPlugControls, and copied the code from the WDL-OL library. I changed all the LoadBitmap calls to LoadPointerToBitmap (and maybe other tweaks I can't remember atm), but wasn't able to get this working right. Again, not certain if it's me or the framework!
What was the problem with IBitmapOverlayControl?
Old 04-22-2017, 06:31 AM   #75
Bobflip

I'm not at that machine at the moment to find out the specifics, but I'll let you know more detailed info asap.

I remember there was no matching function call when I tried it in my plugin, though I'd just copied the format from the WDL-OL example.

Trying to clone WDL-OL IPlugControls from a duplicated WDL-Youlean IPlugEffect had a couple of errors. I remember there was a 'cannot convert' error regarding the "mIISC_Indicator = pGraphics->AttachControl(new IBitmapControl(this, kIISC_I_X, kIISC_I_Y, &bitmap))" line, so I commented that out. This compiled but on running there were Bad Access errors (I'd copied all the resources so it probably wasn't that) so I commented out all the controls except for the IBitmapOverlayControl one. Then it compiled and ran, but clicking the control didn't bring up the overlay. At this point it was near 5am I thought it best that I sleep instead, hahah.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:38 AM   #76
olilarkin

This all looks cool, some recent changes don't compile on mac though. the control groups thing causes some issues, to do with forward declarations
Old 04-22-2017, 06:39 AM   #77
olilarkin

am I correct in thinking it doesn't support retina displays?
Old 04-22-2017, 06:51 AM   #78
Youlean

Quote:
Originally Posted by olilarkin View Post
This all looks cool, some recent changes don't compile on mac though. the control groups thing causes some issues, to do with forward declarations
I still have not tried to compile on MAC. It might be because source was not included... I will check this out.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:55 AM   #79
Youlean

Quote:
Originally Posted by olilarkin View Post
am I correct in thinking it doesn't support retina displays?
Technically not yet. The idea is to have GUI resize code active all times and it will automatically adjust GUI size according to the system GUI scale. I still have not removed old retina GUI up-scaling though and implement this, but I will do this very soon.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:57 AM   #80
Bobflip

Quote:
I still have not tried to compile on MAC. It might be because source was not included... I will check this out.
I've only been compiling on Mac for the past week or so, perhaps this is related to the issues I've had as well? I can try compiling the tricky projects on Windows as well to see if that narrows it down.