Old 05-15-2015, 07:42 PM   #1
dunego
Human being with feelings

Default Audio Editor for MAC

Is there any good audio editor for mac ? Ive been testing sound forge, audacity, wavepad, and all them are crap to me, I used to use sound forge and wavelab on PC with good workflow and all these audio editor apps for mac just sucks on that. Even the zoom in and out is slow motion. Even sound forge itself that is nice on PC, it sucks on Mac. BTW Im using the latest OSX yosemite.
dunego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:53 PM   #2
EpicSounds

I use one called REAPER. It's pretty sweet, give it a try.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:02 PM   #3
dunego

Haha! I did it like that till here. But now Im back on producing and I need to pitch shift or time stretch files offline sometimes, thats the main reason. Also, in the last particular one I didnt want to change rate, I just wanted to pitch down, slowing the tempo and shit, just like turning down the pitch on a turntable, making the file longer... If I learn how to do it nicely on Reaper, and could batch process them, maybe I can save a few dollars. I also dream on reaper adding that protools feature to choose third part time stretch algorithms... but thats another thing.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:25 AM   #4
citizenkeith

Stand-alone audio editors still have a place in my workflow. I switched to Mac this year and didn't like anything I found... you are correct, Sound Forge isn't the same on Mac, and I never did like Audacity or Wavepad either.

Try ocenaudio:

http://www.ocenaudio.com.br/

I don't use it as much as I had used Sound Forge on PC but it's a decent alternative.
citizenkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:38 AM   #5
Aux13

http://www.dsp-quattro.com/dspquattr...P-Quattro.html
Aux13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:01 AM   #6
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
I use one called REAPER. It's pretty sweet, give it a try.
+1

What is alluring about launching and seeing a different app on the screen for certain editing tasks? Weird...

Reaper is the most full featured audio editor I've ever used.

Sound Forge? Audacity? Those look very old and primitive nowadays. Do they have some unique feature no one else has? (eg. Adobe Audition's center extraction feature) Serious question. What am I missing here?
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 05:56 PM   #7
dunego

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Sound Forge? Audacity? Those look very old and primitive nowadays. Do they have some unique feature no one else has? (eg. Adobe Audition's center extraction feature) Serious question. What am I missing here?
Sometimes is not about features but workflow, agility, speed. I was trying to pitch shift some audio, without worrying about rate, just pitch shit, plain simple, something that a audio editor doesnt even need a plugin for, offline processing, best quality possible, maybe batch process a dozen files... And I just found myself spending minutes doing what I was used to do in seconds. Another thing is: open a file, change it, save it (overwrite if you want to). No project created, no temporary audio files, no render setting to mess with, just overwrite the same fuc*ing file with the same settings... BUT, maybe I'm wrong and Reaper can do all that in some way. This daw has so many capabilities that we some times get lost. I already do in Reaper what I used to need a lot of different apps for.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:35 PM   #8
dunego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aux13 View Post
Thanx, bro. But... I really don't know, man, WTF these developers had in mind ? You do a fucking audio editing app and you don't give a shit about fucking zoom in and out ? Thats the basics, thats what everyone will do 99% of the time: zoom in, out, mark, select, process something... It was almost there, seemed fast and snappy, I saw a keyboard shortcuts menu, nice GUI, BUT zoom in and out is just weird, so, nothing else even matters. PLUS: you can't save on demo version. I would never buy an app if I cant use it at least for a week to see how it feels.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:53 PM   #9
ponk

m'kay, don't laugh at me, but have you tried Gargeband? Not bad as a simple editor, has easy zoom n' stuff.
ponk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:40 AM   #10
metal_priest

actually i miss a read audio EDITOR in reaper too...i use audacity as external editor because it has the best spectral analyzer i've ever seen.
I miss it in reaper (no voxengo and others aren't the same of audacity, give it a try and see), as i miss an editor at sample level...something where i can draw on the waveform to clean it from glitches or noises.
Audacity can look "old" as GUI but it's really powerfull IMHO.

soundforge disappointed me as wavelab, i don't really like them.
metal_priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 03:44 AM   #11
Aux13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunego View Post
You do a fucking audio editing app and you don't give a shit about fucking zoom in and out ?
Mousewheel?
Old 05-17-2015, 06:14 AM   #12
dunego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aux13 View Post
Mousewheel?
Mousewheel zoom is not centered on mouse cursor, nor in selection, nor in the cursor itself. Actually I don't figured out where the zoom was zooming and why, I could not zoom on a particular point, and there's not an option to change that.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:41 AM   #13
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal_priest View Post
actually i miss a read audio EDITOR in reaper too...i use audacity as external editor because it has the best spectral analyzer i've ever seen...
+1. It's amazing. And it's free. Bye, bye Sound Forge for me.
cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:34 AM   #14
Aux13

Quote:
Mousewheel zoom is not centered on mouse cursor, nor in selection, nor in the cursor itself.
Yes, zooming on mouse cursor is little strange, but I have no problem with zooming at cursor.

Edit: I found zoom on selection cmd +

Last edited by Aux13; 05-17-2015 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:55 AM   #15
serr

Quote:
I already do in Reaper what I used to need a lot of different apps for.
That's how it worked out for me too. Which is why I mention it. Reaper is my live sound board, studio DAW and editor, and guitar rig. Not because I decided I wanted to do everything with this one app. But because this one app turned out to be the top choice for all of the above and beat out the older stuff I was using before.

The one thing I've seen mentioned before is the workflow where you like to have a bit of audio open in the "editor" window while keeping your "arrangement" window zoomed/focused on a different area of the project. Reaper would need the ability to open two TCP windows for that.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:36 AM   #16
citizenkeith

Quote:
What is alluring about launching and seeing a different app on the screen for certain editing tasks? Weird...
Not weird at all.

In Reaper, I can right click on the audio, choose "Open Items in Editor" and I have the choice of opening it in one of two external editors that I specify in the preferences (my primary editor is Ocenaudio (it was Sound Forge when I was on a PC) and my secondary is Izotope RX). Or I can choose to open a copy of the item in an editor. When I save the new copy, it's automatically saved as a new take in Reaper.

What do I do in the editor? It depends. Most of the time, I'm opening a copy in the editor so that it is saved as a new take in Reaper, so I don't lose the original, virgin file. I can remove noise, adjust pitch easily, redraw the waveform to remove a pop or click, etc.

It's very useful and makes sense to me and my workflow.
citizenkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:38 AM   #17
vdubreeze

Quote:
+1

Reaper is the most full featured audio editor I've ever used.

It's all about when there's certain task at hand and you can go bang* bang* bang* bang* on a 20 minute file and it's done. (I held on to Peak for way too long, until I literally couldn't run it.) Reaper not having an Audiosuite type fx aspect is part of it. Its separate/cut/paste/move functions are another. Sure you can render or apply or glue but it's less of a productive workflow when you'd rather simply highlight a 100 millisecond section and hit a macro for the change and it's done, zero left to do, it's in the file. Reaper functions as an editor but I dislike its use there, and if I can avoid it, especially if it's a single file I can reimport, I'll almost always do what works faster for me elsewhere. Honestly, I'll bring it into ProTools, cut, paste, pencil tool something, audiosuite some spots, do a set of crossfades at a set length, dupe and reimport back in much much, MUCH than doing it in Reaper. Precisely because it IS less powerful and versatile but it gives a better environment to do this in, even, IMHO, when Reaper is configured to take out all the editing behaviors I don't want. It's just not made for it.

For most of what people who already use Reaper, Audacity helps only minimally, for a host of reasons. As far as SoundForge, count me in as one who waited patiently for the OS X version and then went "WTH?, and that hasn't changed much. No idea why Sony didn't release a decent Mac version except that maybe they had to rewrite it from scratch and that was as far as they could go. If it were a $10 app I'd say not bad, but...

I worked with a guy who used AmadeusII. I hated it. Maybe good as a sole app for a non-audio person, but it's one of those programs where it seems the author made it do the kinds of tasks he needed but never worked with any DAW or understood what functions a recording engineer or producer would need.

I think DSP Quattro comes closest to being a useful OS X editor for DAW users. Stephano Daino at least designs a product that makes sense from a serious user's standpoint. Only problem is that most of what I personally liked it for over other editors, mainly the batch mastering with plugin chains, is now great in Reaper and never had a hiccup with it (unlike in AmadeusII of 2012, where you'd find out it didn't work half the time). The rest of what I'd need is available elsewhere at a fraction of the cost.
vdubreeze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:16 PM   #18
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal_priest View Post
i use audacity as external editor because it has the best spectral analyzer i've ever seen.
It was my favourite on Windows and it is on OSX too and yes, the spectral analyzer rocks

Chris
Aymara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:39 AM   #19
Tonehenge

Quote:
Thanx, bro. But... I really don't know, man, WTF these developers had in mind ? You do a fucking audio editing app and you don't give a shit about fucking zoom in and out ? Thats the basics, thats what everyone will do 99% of the time: zoom in, out, mark, select, process something... It was almost there, seemed fast and snappy, I saw a keyboard shortcuts menu, nice GUI, BUT zoom in and out is just weird, so, nothing else even matters. PLUS: you can't save on demo version. I would never buy an app if I cant use it at least for a week to see how it feels.
I know you are a pretty badass dude, but for the sake of good manners...drop the f-bombs.
Old 06-06-2015, 02:38 PM   #20
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
It's all about when there's certain task at hand and you can go bang* bang* bang* bang* on a 20 minute file and it's done. (I held on to Peak for way too long, until I literally couldn't run it.) Reaper not having an Audiosuite type fx aspect is part of it. Its separate/cut/paste/move functions are another. Sure you can render or apply or glue but it's less of a productive workflow when you'd rather simply highlight a 100 millisecond section and hit a macro for the change and it's done, zero left to do, it's in the file. Reaper functions as an editor but I dislike its use there, and if I can avoid it, especially if it's a single file I can reimport, I'll almost always do what works faster for me elsewhere. Honestly, I'll bring it into ProTools, cut, paste, pencil tool something, audiosuite some spots, do a set of crossfades at a set length, dupe and reimport back in much much, MUCH than doing it in Reaper. Precisely because it IS less powerful and versatile but it gives a better environment to do this in, even, IMHO, when Reaper is configured to take out all the editing behaviors I don't want. It's just not made for it.

For most of what people who already use Reaper, Audacity helps only minimally, for a host of reasons. As far as SoundForge, count me in as one who waited patiently for the OS X version and then went "WTH?, and that hasn't changed much. No idea why Sony didn't release a decent Mac version except that maybe they had to rewrite it from scratch and that was as far as they could go. If it were a $10 app I'd say not bad, but...
Agree totally, and I also have banged on about this.

Reaper needs to do PT style Audiosuite FX and Area selection, to change and edit, change of volume here, fade out there, etc

I used to use Sound Forge on PC which was fine, but then moved to Mac OS X, used Parallels to get SF on Windows and all that hassle.. then tried OS X Sound Forge and thought it was buggy as hell too..

Reaper needs to be a great editor, and DAW all in one imo..
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote