Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 05-05-2018, 12:37 PM   #1
DaveKeehl
Human being with feelings

Default REAPER CONTEST - MAY 2018 (RESULTS)

REAPER CONTEST - MAY 2018
(ONLY REAPER PLUGINS ALLOWED)

OFFICIAL WEBSITE

MIXING: 5-19 May
VOTING: 20-29 May
RESULTS: 31 May

MAY 2018 PROJECTS
REAPER CONTEST ANALYTICS

This time we have something different. Winner g4greg decided he wanted to let you guys mix a song by his band it's a very calm and beautiful tune. Grab a beer, open Reaper and you're set
As always you can download the multitrack from the website or clicking on this link.

Happy mixing!
Dave

IMPORTANT:

Last edited by DaveKeehl; 11-03-2018 at 10:32 AM.
DaveKeehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 02:45 PM   #2
darjama

thanks g4greg for sharing your own band's work for us to work with. Very cool!
darjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 05:44 PM   #3
g4greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by darjama View Post
thanks g4greg for sharing your own band's work for us to work with. Very cool!
No worries

It's not the typical rock we usually dish out, but it's one of the very few lyrics set I'm not too ashamed of

I won't be mixing this month's song, because I would obviously have an unfair advantage/bias..

I mixed these guys for years, and I'm curious to see how another pair of ears would mix it.

I'm still going to vote though, and I will ask my bandmates to do so too...

Sorry for forcing this down your throat guys....

Oh, and watch what you say about the vocals, eh

Last edited by g4greg; 05-05-2018 at 05:50 PM.
g4greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:26 PM   #4
Not_Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4greg View Post
No worries

It's not the typical rock we usually dish out, but it's one of the very few lyrics set I'm not too ashamed of

I won't be mixing this month's song, because I would obviously have an unfair advantage/bias..

I mixed these guys for years, and I'm curious to see how another pair of ears would mix it.

I'm still going to vote though, and I will ask my bandmates to do so too...

Sorry for forcing this down your throat guys....

Oh, and watch what you say about the vocals, eh
What I would say is it take courage to be an artist. You offering up the song and your own voice (so to speak) for us to mix - that's the sign of real art, and artist.

I was going to sit this one out also. I think because it was not something I had any experience with that there might be a little fear of failure on my part.

NOW, I am for sure going to give it 100%. If g4greg can put it out there, then I can honor that choice by doing my best at a mix. ::::::biting nails::::: holy crap I gotta go git busy!

Respect Sir!

Last edited by Not_Here; 05-06-2018 at 01:38 AM.
Not_Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 02:56 AM   #5
Grass

Great song, gr4gred! Can you tell us how to record the song? Which instruments, mics? Thank you.
Grass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 05:00 AM   #6
g4greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass View Post
Great song, gr4gred! Can you tell us how to record the song? Which instruments, mics? Thank you.
My vocal mic is an AT4040 through an Audient interface. Nothing special, just a great, transparent preamp.

I record my acoustic guitars with a combo of the AT4040 at the top of the neck, and a '57 at the bridge... I have an 80's Yamaha FG. it sounds incredible.

But Mark (The main guitar player here) only uses a '57 in various miking positions. I think he has a Focusrite interface. I think he has a very old yamaha as well..

There aren't any electrics on THIS song, but on our usual rock stuff, Mark uses those horrible line 6 modeling amps. I don't know how he gets a good sound out of it, but he does

I record direct and use Kuassa amps as my main amps.. Creme for the hard hitting stuff, and vermillion for the rest.

Andrew (my drummer) plays v-drums through a Yamaha thingy, if I recall correctly. He always uses different drum plugs (which drives me nuts, because his drum sounds are always different from one song to another). I think he settled for addictive drums and a few Kontakt instruments for hand percussions.

For this song, he used his hands on the pads to simulate the dynamics of a cahon.

Jean-mark (the bass player/keyboardist) has a sexy hand-made bass without a name on the headstock. It's made in MTL. He records it direct in his babyface.

His keyboards are all Kontakt VSTis, and I have no clue what his midi controller is.

We all live in different countries, but we collaborate through kompoz.com and share our ideas on there. Yes, our band is an online band

Unfortunately, we all got busy lately... And the band got neglected. This song is 2-3 years old...
Old 05-06-2018, 01:44 PM   #7
DaveKeehl

I record acoustic guitars almost the exactly opposite way! haha

I usually put my at2020 right in front at the start of the next (after the soundhole) and a 57 pointing towards the same position but from the headstock. Those are my 2 mono mics. The at2020 gets the warmer tone out of the guitar, while the 57 gets the pick and string sound I love.

Then I usually add 2 other mics in a stereo configuration.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:12 PM   #8
g4greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post
I record acoustic guitars almost the exactly opposite way! haha

I usually put my at2020 right in front at the start of the next (after the soundhole) and a 57 pointing towards the same position but from the headstock. Those are my 2 mono mics. The at2020 gets the warmer tone out of the guitar, while the 57 gets the pick and string sound I love.

Then I usually add 2 other mics in a stereo configuration.
Audio Technica makes great mics, eh? I still have my good old AT2020 kicking around, and I still use it when I need an extra mic. It's one of the best bang for the buck, IMHO. It's really not that far off from the 4040, which i surprising considering the capsule size.

There really are a bazillion ways to record an acoustic, and most of them work well. Every guitar has a different sonic signature and needs different miking. And the room is extremely important as well.

I really like the blend of the "in your face" qualities of the '57 with the "air/crispiness" of the 4040 as well
Old 05-06-2018, 06:35 PM   #9
RiffStreet

Default The goal

Wanted to throw an idea out there. What if the person who chooses the song provides us all with some direction on how they want the mix to sound? Then we have something to aim for. Without a target, we're probably going to make our mixes sound how WE want them to sound... but if we were actually mixing for a client, we would need to satisfy the client. Last month, I had one person say that I had the snare too loud and another said that it was not loud enough. People said that I had the harp too loud. It's subjective. What if the client loved the harp and wanted it really up front? If the person who picks the song posts some guidance, then we can aim for a target and vote based on whether the mixes are hitting the target. Even just a few thoughts would help -- for example, "The synth parts should dominate; the acoustic guitars are mainly for texture; the percussion should be dry and subtle." Without knowing this, a mixer might put the guitars up front and add tons of reverb to the percussion. Anyway, just a thought. Sorry if this was not the right place to bring it up.
RiffStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:18 PM   #10
g4greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiffStreet View Post
Wanted to throw an idea out there. What if the person who chooses the song provides us all with some direction on how they want the mix to sound? Then we have something to aim for. Without a target, we're probably going to make our mixes sound how WE want them to sound... but if we were actually mixing for a client, we would need to satisfy the client. Last month, I had one person say that I had the snare too loud and another said that it was not loud enough. People said that I had the harp too loud. It's subjective. What if the client loved the harp and wanted it really up front? If the person who picks the song posts some guidance, then we can aim for a target and vote based on whether the mixes are hitting the target. Even just a few thoughts would help -- for example, "The synth parts should dominate; the acoustic guitars are mainly for texture; the percussion should be dry and subtle." Without knowing this, a mixer might put the guitars up front and add tons of reverb to the percussion. Anyway, just a thought. Sorry if this was not the right place to bring it up.
Well, I guess you can listen to the included mp3 mix as a reference track... But that was MY mix, and I'm only one person.

The thing is, everyone is allowed to vote. So Everyone will vote according to their own preferences.

However, I like the idea of a mix being a "crowd pleaser", which means that it appeals to many people, and that's why you won. If the band is happy, but everyone else who's listening to it hates the sound... Does that mean you did a good job?

Pleasing as many people as you can when mixing is pretty much the point, no?
Old 05-06-2018, 08:31 PM   #11
Not_Here

I've had similar thoughts also. I do remember reading somewhere recently about how this contest was really about Reaper itself and demonstrating its abilities/capabilities. Along that line of thought then it's good that there are many interpretations of a given project. Each of us trying to bend Reaper to our wills. :::::::evil grin:::::::

I do hear where you're (RiffStreet) coming from.... so in a way this is training for when a client provides their vision. And we will all have had a tremendous amount of practice at know how to get Reaper to do what we need/want it to do?

However as far as goals, I personally do have a goal for this project. I have found a few reference tracks that have some or most of the qualities I'm looking to emulate in my mix - with my ultimate goal of maybe raising some of my arm hairs and putting a smile (if I'm lucky) on the band faces when they hear my mix.

Nothing like shooting for the stars!

EDIT: hmmm the crowd pleaser... good point.
EDIT #2: damn good point...

IMHO - YMMV

Last edited by Not_Here; 05-06-2018 at 11:52 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:25 AM   #12
DaveKeehl

@RiffStreet

I get your point but there's a problem in my opinion. You see, I've noticed 2 kinds of mixing engineers:

1) the first type says that if the band chose him/her to mix the song, that means that they trust his/her vision and want the mixing engineer's take on the their song.
2) the second type puts the artist first and simply tries to make their visions come true.

Usually, one could be the first type of engineer only if has a little bit of fame, because otherwise would sound a bit like a douche, but it's the one that offers the most creative freedom.

So I don't know. I think you have a very valid idea but I'm not sure everyone would be keen to follow those guidelines, and me as the admin have no way to control this. I simply put the files online and there are people that don't even write here on the forum. I'm afraid that's something that can't really be done at the moment.

Last edited by DaveKeehl; 05-07-2018 at 10:55 AM.
DaveKeehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:54 AM   #13
RiffStreet

Thanks guys for considering it.
RiffStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 04:40 PM   #14
g4greg

I'd like to add a little detail...

I've also received critics that were contradicting each other, and those of course are a matter of taste..

But the 3 critics I've read all said my mix was too harsh and fatiguing, and that I scooped the mids a bit too much on at the "mastering stage".

When a lot of people agree on something without consulting each other, that might mean that they are onto something
Old 05-07-2018, 09:07 PM   #15
Dex

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiffStreet View Post
If you're looking for a monthly mix challenge with client direction, feedback, and remixing in response to feedback, check out http://www.mix-challenge.com/
Dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:25 AM   #16
Not_Here

Isn't it Ironic... ♫♪ ♪ ♫ ♪

Last edited by Not_Here; 05-09-2018 at 12:31 AM.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:58 PM   #17
Not_Here

Default Question

Just asking,

I can do splits as long as I don't Heal correct? (will be leaving it in same track as it's just for a volume adj. )
Old 05-12-2018, 12:43 AM   #18
g4greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Here View Post
Just asking,

I can do splits as long as I don't Heal correct? (will be leaving it in same track as it's just for a volume adj. )
Well, as long as you only use the original files, everything is fair game, I think..

I duplicated and stretched the guys voice when he was coughing and gagging to make it sound more obvious last month..

Let me guess.. you want to tighten Andrew's "kicks" on the cajon?

I spent quite a bit of time on those too when I mixed that thing ages ago..

Isn't ironic?
Old 05-12-2018, 01:43 AM   #19
Not_Here

Quote:
Well, as long as you only use the original files, everything is fair game, I think..

I duplicated and stretched the guys voice when he was coughing and gagging to make it sound more obvious last month..

Let me guess.. you want to tighten Andrew's "kicks" on the cajon?

I spent quite a bit of time on those too when I mixed that thing ages ago..

Isn't ironic?
Yes I loved the extended hacking... the bit at the end was a perfect bit of leprechaun madness too. Reminded me of the first two movies.

I'm still undecided... have two mixes. Kick? Cajon(es)? Honestly, I'm trying not to do the expected. I can't tell you how badly I wish there were a nylon string double.
I've gotten rather to like this number.
I think the song subliminally casts a forget time spell when your working on it...
Old 05-12-2018, 03:07 AM   #20
DaveKeehl

I might be able to do a livestream tomorrow evening on youtube. Stay tuned for more info.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:32 PM   #21
Not_Here

page two? I love hearing the lyric page turn.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:19 PM   #22
g4greg

Quote:
page two? I love hearing the lyric page turn.

LOL yeah.... I have a pretty sensitive mic.. Can't believe I didn't delete that!
Old 05-14-2018, 10:50 AM   #23
RDBOIS
Banned

I just sent in my submission.

I told myself I wasn't going to do the contest again, but decided to mix a version because the song is from a Reaper forum member, a Québecois (ben quoi faut ben se tenir un peu), and mostly because I like the song.

I had fun mixing.

G4greg, if you listen carefully you can hear some sonic artifacts, in the S and C's and other sibilant areas, for example in the word RACE "... do the most unspeakable things, you know the human RACE..". The "C" comes out with some sizzling comb-like distortions.

I have had the exact same artifacts happen in my vocal tracks. Sometimes it happens at the source and sometimes is happens because ReaTune can't handle very well the sibilant vocal areas. I typically bypass the auto tune plugin for all the S, C, CH, etc.

In my own recordings and productions I have spent countless hours trying to deal with this bothersome vocal artifact. It drives me nuts! When it occurs at the source, I've noticed that it is often because 1) I'm too close to the microphone when singing in a low voice, or 2) there is some background noise. In the area of your song that I gave as an example, you are singing in a low voice and if you crank the volume up very very very high - at the tail end of that section - you can hear a Japanese woman talking in the background clunking around. That made me laugh.

Once that sizzling -phase artifacts are in the track you can't get then out. The only thing I found that can help is to bypass the compression and limiters for these areas using the track envelop. Because the last thing you want is for the compressor to make them louder in the mix.

For a long time I was wondering if anyone else was also having the same vocal recording artifacts. Now I know. It kind of makes me feel better - not that I wish these issues on anyone. hehehe
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 02:36 PM   #24
g4greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBOIS View Post
I just sent in my submission.

I told myself I wasn't going to do the contest again, but decided to mix a version because the song is from a Reaper forum member, a Québecois (ben quoi faut ben se tenir un peu), and mostly because I like the song.

I had fun mixing.

G4greg, if you listen carefully you can hear some sonic artifacts, in the S and C's and other sibilant areas, for example in the word RACE "... do the most unspeakable things, you know the human RACE..". The "C" comes out with some sizzling comb-like distortions.

I have had the exact same artifacts happen in my vocal tracks. Sometimes it happens at the source and sometimes is happens because ReaTune can't handle very well the sibilant vocal areas. I typically bypass the auto tune plugin for all the S, C, CH, etc.

In my own recordings and productions I have spent countless hours trying to deal with this bothersome vocal artifact. It drives me nuts! When it occurs at the source, I've noticed that it is often because 1) I'm too close to the microphone when singing in a low voice, or 2) there is some background noise. In the area of your song that I gave as an example, you are singing in a low voice and if you crank the volume up very very very high - at the tail end of that section - you can hear a Japanese woman talking in the background clunking around. That made me laugh.

Once that sizzling -phase artifacts are in the track you can't get then out. The only thing I found that can help is to bypass the compression and limiters for these areas using the track envelop. Because the last thing you want is for the compressor to make them louder in the mix.

For a long time I was wondering if anyone else was also having the same vocal recording artifacts. Now I know. It kind of makes me feel better - not that I wish these issues on anyone. hehehe

Well F me! I never noticed that! my wife is actually on the record LOL she probably opened the door while I was too busy singing to notice...

And I totally missed it too! holy crap! Sorry guys, I almost want to upload another take now!
Old 05-14-2018, 03:33 PM   #25
RDBOIS
Banned

Quote:
Well F me! I never noticed that! my wife is actually on the record LOL she probably opened the door while I was too busy singing to notice...

And I totally missed it too! holy crap! Sorry guys, I almost want to upload another take now!
I would leave it. You know ... All the great bands have this sort of studio mishaps/thingies ! One day - people will write about it in music blogs and wonder how is the woman in the back. Going to make some great coffee table discussion. LOL

Note1: This audio mishap will not be in my mix, as I have removed all noises manually and with a Gate.

Note2: If you should decide to use a participants mix for a new song release - I'm sure the person wouldn't mind making a few modification and/or can probably do it yourself since you will have access to all our Reaper Project files.

Last edited by RDBOIS; 05-14-2018 at 04:15 PM.
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:16 PM   #26
g4greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBOIS View Post
I would leave it. You know ... All the great bands have this sort of studio mishaps/thingies ! One day - people will write about it in music blogs and wonder how is the woman in the back. Going to make some great coffee table discussion. LOL
That and the audible lyrics page turn, holy crap! What I thought was a decent recording is turning into a never ending blooper reel!

my old band would shout at me to get my ***** together LOL
Old 05-14-2018, 08:35 PM   #27
Not_Here

Quote:
That and the audible lyrics page turn, holy crap! What I thought was a decent recording is turning into a never ending blooper reel!

my old band would shout at me to get my ***** together LOL
Actually the way I see it, is that your recordings are some of the better ones, in as much that there is very little background noise. hiss, pops, 60hz etc... your "ad libs" are well below the noise floor within a mix - like well below -60db(estimated) range... These little earwigs are only there, if you have the right environment to expose them.

And that IS a part of the Mixing stage, cleaning up and removing the "horrid little sludgy bits" so everything is nice and spiffy!

Your wife in the background, "could" be used in an imaginative way if the mixer/band were so inclined. Never know what will get used or how huh? Sometimes little thing like that are cool little easter eggs for the audiophile/music fan.

But YES ( LOL ) you should have been even more perfect and had -1000db noise floor on your recordings!

I was also thinking how compared to the last song, this songs Ess's are a dream.

\m/ ôçO \m/
Old 05-14-2018, 10:58 PM   #28
bobobo

what would bonzo be without the sqeeking kickpedal, eh?
bobobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:12 PM   #29
Dex

There's some background hiss on some of the tracks. Is there a way to remove that during playback with reaper plugs? Normally I would export and fix in an external editor but I can't do that here.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:29 PM   #30
g4greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
There's some background hiss on some of the tracks. Is there a way to remove that during playback with reaper plugs? Normally I would export and fix in an external editor but I can't do that here.

You could use reagate...

or reafir in substract mode, but be careful with that, as it also affects the source.

Quite honestly, unless it's super noisy, A gentle gate is quite enough. Make sure it doesn't clamp down too fast, or you'll loose quite a bit of details//

Are y
Old 05-17-2018, 01:15 PM   #31
DaveKeehl

2 days left to mix the song guys!
Old 05-17-2018, 03:52 PM   #32
Not_Here

::::biting nails::::::
Old 05-17-2018, 03:54 PM   #33
DaveKeehl

Quote:
::::biting nails::::::
cocaine is your best friend jk...
Old 05-17-2018, 06:22 PM   #34
Dex

Just lost 4 hours of work because Youlean crashed.

SO THAT'S REAL FUN.

Setting up auto-saving now.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:49 PM   #35
Not_Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Just lost 4 hours of work because Youlean crashed.

SO THAT'S REAL FUN.

Setting up auto-saving now.

Ouch.... feel your pain...

Yeah that save every few minutes may make an S-load of .rpp files but I too learned by the ooops method before... and now I'm totally fine with every three minutes.

Perhaps you'll do your best work under pressure?
Old 05-17-2018, 07:56 PM   #36
Not_Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post
cocaine is your best friend jk...
If it weren't for those damn black helicopteers that follow my car everywhere.....

Old 05-18-2018, 06:43 PM   #37
kgarello

Nice song g4greg!

I had fun with it - hopefully its listenable!
kgarello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:01 PM   #38
Not_Here

I'm really dying to hear everyone's mixes. And full well expect mine will have puuhhhhhhlennnnteeeee of critique... I'm still trying to decide which of my four (remaining) mixes to turn in...

ARRRRGGGGHHHHH!
Old 05-19-2018, 05:01 AM   #39
g4greg

Can't wait to hear all those bad boys!
Old 05-19-2018, 05:07 AM   #40
Olli H

To me the most difficult part of this song was guitars. I think I found a decent solution to them, but I’m not sure if other’s like it at all.
Olli H is offline   Reply With Quote