Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 10-16-2018, 01:49 PM   #1
ChristopherT
Human being with feelings

Default Select between two markers for time selection (hold shift)

I'm using markers extensively, and am often wanting to select an area between 2 markers, so I can copy items between the two markers.

On Protools, you select the first marker, hold shift and select the next marker so that you now have an area selection exactly lined up to the two markers.

With the Protools method I can select between 2 markers that are not in succession - like selecting between marker 2 and marker 7 by selecting one, holding shift and jump to any other marker in the project.

Simple request, but really makes life easier navigating playback of sections, loops, rendering export etc.
ChristopherT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:11 AM   #2
Eliseat

No need for this. I have found the solution for you. Double click between two markers to create a time selection at the right or left to start with and then just shift click at the marker or ruler to finish. It will extend the selection very fast the way you wanted.

Don't forget to use snap enabled! Hope that helped.

Greetings
Eli

BUT in that context it would also make sense to allow double clicking between markers to extend a time selection. Example would be: Double click between marker 1 and 2, then shift double click between 2 and 3 to extend the selection from 1 till 3. This would be a logical workflow. At least for me.
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:49 PM   #3
ChristopherT

This does not solve the issue at all Eliseat.

When working on large projects like film, theatre, TV, radio plays, often there are many markers for navigation, instructions, dramatic events etc.
(sometimes in the hundreds)

So the request is to be able to select between say marker 3 and marker 25.

The method of holding shift and being able to select any marker in a timeline is a very simple well needed tool
Old 10-17-2018, 05:40 PM   #4
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherT View Post
This does not solve the issue at all Eliseat.

So the request is to be able to select between say marker 3 and marker 25.
It solves it as posted by both of us in the other thread. Turn snap on because it works with marker divisions and disable the grid if needed, double click just to the right of marker 3 then shift+click right at/near marker 25 and snap will grab it then snap the selection to marker 25. voila.

Nothing wrong with your FR but the above does achieve exactly what you just described, you just don't get to click on the actual marker icon which should be irrelevant since the selection itself being accurate is what is important here.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:06 AM   #5
ChristopherT

Yes - problem solved sort of....
I'm finding on a large session view the snap to marker is inaccurate unless zoomed out - which defeats the point of the request.

I need to juggle the snap, and therefore adjust snap settings everytime I want to step outside of the grid for markers.

Whereas in Protools - even if I have snap to the bar, I still can shift select a marker (that is just before a bar/grid) without touching my grid settings - which is the ultimate fast work method.

Sometimes I want a musical grid, and I want to have markers not on the grid.
(in fact this is common in my workflow as I want to cue the marker just before the first beat of a chosen bar)

Shift select marker to select a timeline would be a very quick way of working
(like it is in ProTools = it is fast when you are editing around markers all day long and still use the grid in various sections)
No need to touch grid settings, and snap relates to musical and automation events only.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:01 AM   #6
Embass

Script: Expand time selection to closest markers
https://goo.gl/GL1fXK
Embass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 05:17 AM   #7
_Stevie_

Fixed linked: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/34658/Expa...%20markers.lua