Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 02-22-2008, 12:44 AM   #41
pjs
Human being with feelings

Xen this thing is really great! Thanks a ton for this.

A feature request: some Sort/Order options. At present it sorts the items alphabetically but it would be nice to have the option of retaining the order in which the items were copied to the bin so that you can select all and paste them back to reaper in the same order.
pjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:55 AM   #42
griz lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
Some crazy stuff I've been thinking about :

Maybe this would be too much for 99% of people to handle, but that's why they are called the "Guru" options...

Xenakis,

I'm no guru but your guru options are way cool! Experimental beats here we go...

What an fantastic tool this is. I love how you've made it 'creative' too.
griz lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 03:05 AM   #43
griz lee

.... just goes to show how not guru i am. I can't find the guru options!!

I was really looking forwards to that! How do you activate them, X?

Also: a bug report: if you click 'paste items to reaper' and don't have anything in the list yet you get a memory leak. (0.0.8)
griz lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 04:03 AM   #44
Bevosss

Awesome work! I just installed it and it works really well here. A small FR from me:

I'm thinking I could use this for automated drum replacing...perhaps you could make 'paste random takes' as a toggle or a separate button, with 1 take as default? Then I could either automate it, or place the cursor with the right hand while pasting random wavs with the left hotkey.

Thanks for this!
Bevosss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 04:50 AM   #45
jens

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz lee View Post

it's just an idea so far, i.e. not implemented yet.

Quote:
Some crazy stuff I've been thinking about

Maybe this would be too much for 99% of people to handle, but that's why they are called the "Guru" options...
jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:20 AM   #46
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz lee View Post

Also: a bug report: if you click 'paste items to reaper' and don't have anything in the list yet you get a memory leak. (0.0.8)
Oh, like Jens said, it isn't implemented yet. The screenshot is from a running window, though, but there's no code to do anything with the ReaBIN data, so I haven't bothered to make the window show up in the current exe...

Ooooops, that access violation and leak, a really sloppy one of me. That should have been handled in the very first stages of me coding ReaBIN. I guess I didn't expect anyone, at least myself, pressing the paste key when no items are in the list.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:23 AM   #47
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs View Post
Xen this thing is really great! Thanks a ton for this.

A feature request: some Sort/Order options. At present it sorts the items alphabetically but it would be nice to have the option of retaining the order in which the items were copied to the bin so that you can select all and paste them back to reaper in the same order.
Yeah, sure. There are already some different sort logics. I just hid the GUI elements for some reason. I guess there were some bugs. There are some super-annoying alpha sorting problems in the Winkey+V list also...There shouldn't be, but there are. Damn.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:27 AM   #48
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevosss View Post
Awesome work! I just installed it and it works really well here. A small FR from me:

I'm thinking I could use this for automated drum replacing...perhaps you could make 'paste random takes' as a toggle or a separate button, with 1 take as default? Then I could either automate it, or place the cursor with the right hand while pasting random wavs with the left hotkey.

Thanks for this!
Yes, I'd need some kind of quick random take paste also. I guess a checkbox/dropdown-menu to toggle somewhere in the GUI. The GUI is getting somewhat cramped, however, already... Hmm, should this quick random take paste use a "lotto"-style algo to not repeat takes until all have been used or a just a simple "any random"...? Well, I guess this could be optional also...
Old 02-22-2008, 10:39 AM   #49
Xenakios

Preliminary 0.0.9 beta available!

-Added take list sorting options. Quick-Paste popup list sorting improved.

-Added Quick-Paste options. Other is the good old pupup list apperaring, the other takes a totally random take from the selected takes in the BIN. (If nothing is selected in the BIN, it picks from all the takes in the list.)

-Fixed access violation and memory leak when Paste To REAPER was pressed when nothing in the BIN list.

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/787/ReaBIN_0_0_9b.zip

0.0.9b fixes access violation error when using quick-paste-key in random made when only one item selected in ReaBIN.

I'm getting a bit drunk for the night, so please forgive me if some new bugs or inconsistencies appeared!

Last edited by Xenakios; 02-22-2008 at 11:46 AM.
Xenakios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:38 PM   #50
Bevosss

Quote:
The GUI is getting somewhat cramped, however, already... Hmm, should this quick random take paste use a "lotto"-style algo to not repeat takes until all have been used or a just a simple "any random"...? Well, I guess this could be optional also...
I'd say Lotto-style if you're using say 3 samples to replace a kick track, to avoid any machine gun repeats...although optional would be great.

What about if you use the same button as 'paste to reaper', except it shows 'paste random take' and uses the same hotkey? So you'd just choose that from the dropdown menu, and it remains like that until you choose again? And it comes up with a default of 1 (the most likely use).

Again, thanks Xenakios, this is really cool! Keeps us occupied too while Justin is coding his monster...
Old 02-22-2008, 03:08 PM   #51
Xenakios

Quote:
I'd say Lotto-style if you're using say 3 samples to replace a kick track, to avoid any machine gun repeats...although optional would be great.

What about if you use the same button as 'paste to reaper', except it shows 'paste random take' and uses the same hotkey? So you'd just choose that from the dropdown menu, and it remains like that until you choose again? And it comes up with a default of 1 (the most likely use).

Again, thanks Xenakios, this is really cool! Keeps us occupied too while Justin is coding his monster...
Hmmmmmmm...Justin's Reaper isn't a monster...It's a stinging little insect!

I'll make the changes to ReaBIN you proposed within 2 days...It may be I'm having a too bad hangover in the next 24 hours to do anything requiring brains...

Last edited by Xenakios; 02-22-2008 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:38 PM   #52
Bevosss

Quote:
Hmmmmmmm...Justin's Reaper isn't a monster...It's a stinging little insect!
I meant the monster he's had in the back room the last 12 days or so...

Cheers X, looking forward to testing the new update.

I did encounter a bug where when replacing takes in 0_0_8, it pasted them both to the same tracks...I'll see if I can replicate it later in 0_0_9.

Also, Win V stopped working for me after I updated, I'm just checking that out now.

Also, is there a way to update without losing the recent bin list? Do I need to copy the .ini over maybe?

Happy coding!
Old 02-22-2008, 03:47 PM   #53
gregh

Quote:

Thanks for this!
Much better would be the ability to select multiple items, hit f2, and get the same set of options as when selecting one item. Then you could replace multiple files at once, set pan values for multiple items at once and so on. - Would make snare patterning much easier for example
gregh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 04:00 PM   #54
Bevosss

Quote:

Also, Win V stopped working for me after I updated, I'm just checking that out now.
Ahh fixed this...seems you have to select the quick paste option first, the default comes up empty on opening.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:02 PM   #55
Xenakios

Quote:
I meant the monster he's had in the back room the last 12 days or so...

Cheers X, looking forward to testing the new update.

I did encounter a bug where when replacing takes in 0_0_8, it pasted them both to the same tracks...I'll see if I can replicate it later in 0_0_9.

Also, is there a way to update without losing the recent bin list? Do I need to copy the .ini over maybe?

Happy coding!
I will study the other situations...For keeping the existing BIN list, just copy the recentlyused.ini-file to the latest ReaBin.exe location...
Old 02-22-2008, 04:04 PM   #56
Xenakios

Quote:
Ahh fixed this...seems you have to select the quick paste option first, the default comes up empty on opening.
Weird, the Winkey+V won't work unless the paste option is selected...? I THINK it worked for me, even when empty, but I'll have to check...
Old 02-22-2008, 04:55 PM   #57
Bevosss

If you could add this action to the right click menu, it'd be awesome:

'replace selected take(s) in Reaper with random selected take from BIN'

That would be HUGE for replacing a kick for instance. Lotto-style would be best here, or optional.

I'm really stoked with ReaBin X, in case you haven't noticed...I love the way you can change the names in the BIN without retitling the actual item for instance...or retitle all fast...many many good things here.

Btw, I'll recheck that paste issue to see if I was correct. Cheers!
Old 02-22-2008, 05:03 PM   #58
Bevosss

Quote:
Weird, the Winkey+V won't work unless the paste option is selected...? I THINK it worked for me, even when empty, but I'll have to check...

Yep, checked it and same issue...it probably should list the last option used when you open ReaBin. I guess the default for new users should be 'same list as BIN' so they don't get confused at first.

Maybe a (?) button could open a read me file? I'm pretty right myself now, but I had to keep jumping back and forth to the last page and scrolling posts for the shortcuts and info earlier...it might speed it up for the newcomers.

Cheers!
Old 02-22-2008, 07:02 PM   #59
Xenakios

Quote:

Maybe a (?) button could open a read me file? I'm pretty right myself now, but I had to keep jumping back and forth to the last page and scrolling posts for the shortcuts and info earlier...it might speed it up for the newcomers.
Yes, there should be some documentation...This whole thing could be terribly confusing for "noobies". I'm just such a bad writer of docs...

Also, the video in my first post in this thread SUCKS! I don't think it really explains anything. I should do a new one with some narration...(Although my english IS going to be pretty bad...)

Last edited by Xenakios; 02-22-2008 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:08 PM   #60
Bevosss

Default A rather large FR...

Hey X, I had a brainstorm which may be a coding nightmare, but it would be uber-useful if it's not...

How about an A/B for BIN filters? I'm thinking I can add 5x Snare dry hits (Z1) and 5 x Snare room hits (Z4) in the same bin, and put (in my case, using the Steven Slate samples) Z1 in filter A, and Z4 in filter B.

Then I can quickly change with one click, between pasting random dry snares(filterA), and pasting random room snares(filterB)...on separate tracks of course.

I hope I explained that clearly, and obviously just throwing ideas out here, which you might have a better solution for...

I suppose someone will ask for a recent filter list now...
Old 02-22-2008, 07:09 PM   #61
Bevosss

Quote:
Yes, there should be some documentation...This whole thing could be terribly confusing for "noobies". I'm just such a bad writer of docs...
Just the shortcuts would be a great start imo...it can progress over time right?
Old 02-22-2008, 07:17 PM   #62
Bevosss

Default An ordering bug in the paste menu (WinV)

When I use the paste menu shortcut (not random), No.5 appears before No. 1...ie I get something like this:

----Cancel Paste---
ToneDefZ4SnareCrack5.wav(000) <-------
ToneDefZ4SnareCrack1.wav(000)
ToneDefZ4SnareCrack2.wav(000)
ToneDefZ4SnareCrack3.wav(000)
ToneDefZ4SnareCrack4.wav(000)

I have a maximum of 5 hits, so I can't check past 5 sorry.

*EDIT: it also does this in the BIN, as well.

Last edited by Bevosss; 02-22-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:23 PM   #63
Xenakios

Quote:
When I use the paste menu shortcut (not random), No.5 appears before No. 1...ie I get something like this:

----Cancel Paste---
ToneDefZ4SnareCrack5.wav(000) <-------
ToneDefZ4SnareCrack1.wav(000)
ToneDefZ4SnareCrack2.wav(000)
ToneDefZ4SnareCrack3.wav(000)
ToneDefZ4SnareCrack4.wav(000)

I have a maximum of 5 hits, so I can't check past 5 sorry.
Yeah, there's some weird shit going on with the sorting algos...I guess I should write my own and not rely on existing ones. It's probably all the numbers that make the sorting go wrong...
Old 02-22-2008, 08:32 PM   #64
Xenakios

Quote:
Hey X, I had a brainstorm which may be a coding nightmare, but it would be uber-useful if it's not...

How about an A/B for BIN filters? I'm thinking I can add 5x Snare dry hits (Z1) and 5 x Snare room hits (Z4) in the same bin, and put (in my case, using the Steven Slate samples) Z1 in filter A, and Z4 in filter B.

Then I can quickly change with one click, between pasting random dry snares(filterA), and pasting random room snares(filterB)...on separate tracks of course.

I hope I explained that clearly, and obviously just throwing ideas out here, which you might have a better solution for...

I suppose someone will ask for a recent filter list now...
I think this is best solved by having multiple BIN lists.

I'm planning it to work something like this : there's a Master BIN that can store/recall anything, also merging multiple Bins. And then there are sub-Bins that can also store anything, but also receive items from the Master Bin through filters, drag'n'drop etc...

I'll have to think about this a lot...But it's not gonna come for the ReaBIN 0.0.x-series...It's already in 0.0.9b and now I'm going to only fix serious bugs if anyone reports them, up to 0.0.9z at the most. I'm going to start ReaBIN 0.1.x-series (a rewrite of the code) in a day or two, but the first public Beta release might take some time...
Old 02-22-2008, 09:19 PM   #65
Bevosss

Fantastic! As long as we can switch between bins with one click or so, I can ahk that up to keyboard shortcuts (I already have one running that switches random and normal paste...just need lotto-style random paste now).

Well done sir! I'll be here to test when you're ready...
Old 02-22-2008, 09:26 PM   #66
Xenakios

Quote:
Fantastic! As long as we can switch between bins with one click or so, I can ahk that up to keyboard shortcuts (I already have one running that switches random and normal paste...just need lotto-style random paste now).

Well done sir! I'll be here to test when you're ready...
Oh, by the way, it was really lazy of me to omit the lotto-random paste from the latest beta...I'll add it to the 0.0.9-version today or tomorrow. Normal random really tends to suck if you have a limited selection of items to choose from...(Because of the machine-gun effect etc...)
Old 02-22-2008, 09:39 PM   #67
Bevosss

Quote:
Oh, by the way, it was really lazy of me to omit the lotto-random paste from the latest beta...I'll add it to the 0.0.9-version today or tomorrow. Normal random really tends to suck if you have a limited selection of items to choose from...(Because of the machine-gun effect etc...)
Awesome X, that'll tide me over for a while for sure! Thanks again...
Old 02-23-2008, 12:30 AM   #68
Bevosss

Quote:
If you could add this action to the right click menu, it'd be awesome:

'replace selected take(s) in Reaper with random selected take from BIN'

That would be HUGE for replacing a kick for instance. Lotto-style would be best here, or optional.
Hey Xanakios...did you see this FR? I'm thinking it would be really easy to select all the items in a kick track, and have ReaBin replace them all randomly from selected items in the BIN. Of course, it would have to do them in a concurrent lotto-style order in the track so as to avoid the typewriter effect.

Is this possible and does it interest you? I don't know of any other daw that can achieve this, it would save a few minutes per track when manually replacing drums.

Again, just bouncing ideas of you that I could use...
Old 02-23-2008, 08:13 AM   #69
Xenakios

Quote:
Hey Xanakios...did you see this FR? I'm thinking it would be really easy to select all the items in a kick track, and have ReaBin replace them all randomly from selected items in the BIN. Of course, it would have to do them in a concurrent lotto-style order in the track so as to avoid the typewriter effect.

Is this possible and does it interest you? I don't know of any other daw that can achieve this, it would save a few minutes per track when manually replacing drums.

Again, just bouncing ideas of you that I could use...
I think this should be possible to add to ReaBIN quite easily. Stay tuned, I am having bit of a hangover, but I don't feel completely stupid, just a bit tired and thirsty! So, I guess I'll put some goodies out today...(Uh, well within the next 12 hours...)

By the way, the Lotto-style random algo should completely avoid repeat, right?

So if it first gives 1 - 5 - 3 - 2 - 4 , that should not be followed by 4 - 3 - 5 - 1 - 2, for instance...
Old 02-23-2008, 08:19 AM   #70
DuX

Yea, hangover, that's the word... I had a night that could be best described as one of David Lynch's films... ["Highway" something?]

I met a girl that looked exactly like young Britney Spears.

Never liked Britney Spears, though .

Cheers!

p.s. I'm a champion in useless posting.

Last edited by DuX; 02-23-2008 at 08:22 AM.
DuX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 02:28 PM   #71
Bevosss

Quote:
I think this should be possible to add to ReaBIN quite easily. Stay tuned, I am having bit of a hangover, but I don't feel completely stupid, just a bit tired and thirsty! So, I guess I'll put some goodies out today...(Uh, well within the next 12 hours...)

By the way, the Lotto-style random algo should completely avoid repeat, right?

So if it first gives 1 - 5 - 3 - 2 - 4 , that should not be followed by 4 - 3 - 5 - 1 - 2, for instance...
No repeats would be perfect for kick drum replacement, cheers.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:00 PM   #72
Xenakios

Quote:
No repeats would be perfect for kick drum replacement, cheers.
My head clearly isn't working correctly. I couldn't get the lotto-random-without-any-repeats-algo working correctly... I'll have to look into this later, sorry, feeling a bit too tired and dumb at the moment...
Old 02-23-2008, 08:20 PM   #73
Bevosss

Quote:
My head clearly isn't working correctly. I couldn't get the lotto-random-without-any-repeats-algo working correctly... I'll have to look into this later, sorry, feeling a bit too tired and dumb at the moment...
No worries, I'm sure it'll come easy once your head is clear.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:08 PM   #74
Bevosss

Default Bug?

'Copy BIN take name to Reaper take(s)'...isn't working for me in the latest version, although I swear it was working before in 8.

Am I missing something, or is it broke?
Old 02-23-2008, 09:36 PM   #75
Xenakios

Quote:
'Copy BIN take name to Reaper take(s)'...isn't working for me in the latest version, although I swear it was working before in 8.

Am I missing something, or is it broke?
Hmm, it would seem to work for me in the current development build. 0.0.9c...But I didn't change anything that should affect that particular function...(Oh, you know it won't do anything to the selected take in Reaper, right? It only renames the Take Name propery of the ReaBIN internal object...And then this new name appears in the Take once it's inserted into Reaper...)

Oh, please give me some time get started on the 0.1.x-series...The good news is that while I'm gonna redesign and rewrite pretty much everything, there's quite a lot of stuff I can re-use, refactored, of course... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refactoring

Last edited by Xenakios; 02-23-2008 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:18 PM   #76
Bevosss

Quote:
(Oh, you know it won't do anything to the selected take in Reaper, right? It only renames the Take Name propery of the ReaBIN internal object...And then this new name appears in the Take once it's inserted into Reaper...)
I'm afraid you lost me here...

If I Win-C copy a take to ReaBin, then rename it in the BIN, then Win-V paste it in to Reaper, the take name in Reaper and in Reaper's property window are both changed to the new name.

So what does 'Copy BIN take name to Reaper take(s)' do that's different to that? Sorry if I'm being thick today...

Last edited by Bevosss; 02-23-2008 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:26 PM   #77
mission

this is so so so useful for me thanks a ton bruh!

one request:

i just spent 20 minutes going back and forth through the thread to make sure I had the latest version. maybe keep editing the first post in the thread with a download location and latest bug fixes so downloading whatever is in that post ensures that we're getting the latest file.

idiot proofing for guys like me!
Old 02-23-2008, 10:26 PM   #78
Xenakios

Quote:
I'm afraid you lost me here...

If I Win-C copy a take to ReaBin, then rename it in the BIN, then Win-V paste it in to Reaper, the take name in Reaper and in Reaper's property window are both changed to the new name.

So what does 'Copy BIN take name to Reaper take(s)' do that's different to that? Sorry if I'm being thick today...
It appends the (001)-style numbers to the takes' names that are pasted into Reaper... Really super-confusing, I guess, but I wanted that option to be there...
Old 02-23-2008, 10:32 PM   #79
Bevosss

Quote:
It appends the (001)-style numbers to the takes' names that are pasted into Reaper... Really super-confusing, I guess, but I wanted that option to be there...
Ahh, clear as mud now...thanks!
Old 02-23-2008, 11:58 PM   #80
Bevosss

Hey Xenakios, is there any way you can get ReaBin to replace 'takes' as opposed to items?

By which I mean, instead of deleting the item and pasting in the new one (which we'd still need anyway), it deletes the active take, and pastes the new one in as a new take...so you could replace take3 for instance, and take1 and take2 still are there underneath, non-active.

Oh, and take all the time you need to code V1.x, I hope I'm not bugging you too much ...it's just a great program!