Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 10-13-2019, 06:32 AM   #1
mathurgood
Human being with feelings

Default Puremagnetik plugins ASIO problem

I've downloaded Verv, PastFabric and Fathoms from Puremagnetik. All of these plugins produce a crackling/distorted sound as though the ASIO buffer size is too small. I'm using Reaper 5.984 with my EMU-0404 USB interface on Windows 10 Pro (X64). My PC is a Dell T3400 Core 2 Duo 3.00GHz with 8GB of RAM.

I've tried changing the buffer size in small increments from 12ms to 500ms but the problem persists. If I change the driver from EMU ASIO any other (e.g. WASAPI), the problem is solved.

This would seem to suggest that there is an issue with the EMU ASIO driver, although it works perfectly with all the other plugin I possess. Also, the Puremagnetik plugins sound fine using the EMU ASIO driver in Ableton Live 9. As such, I've concluded that this is something to with the Reaper-Puremagnetik-EMU combination.

I'd be very grateful if anyone has experienced anything similar or has any suggestions as to how I might troubleshoot this. I've tried the obvious e.g. reinstalling Reaper, reinstalling drivers, reinstalling plugins to no avail. Cheers!
mathurgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 01:35 PM   #2
domzy

might be worth going into performance meter (ctrl + alt + p) and checking out the RT CPU (you may have to right click to enable this)
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:22 AM   #3
mathurgood

Thanks for your suggestion, domzy. The RT CPU meter didn't show anything unexpected. I've got a feeling that this is something to do with the EMU ASIO drivers, which date from 2008 are were written for Vista!
Old 10-16-2019, 07:20 AM   #4
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathurgood View Post
Thanks for your suggestion, domzy. The RT CPU meter didn't show anything unexpected. I've got a feeling that this is something to do with the EMU ASIO drivers, which date from 2008 are were written for Vista!
The EMU ASIO drivers (at least the PCI card) had non-power-of-2 buffer sizes, which are problematic with some plugins. It would be a bug in the plugin if those don't work, though. Plugin developers should not expect the hosts to provide power-of-2 sized buffers. What buffer sizes (in samples) did you test with WASAPI when you got the plugins working? What kinds of buffer sizes does the EMU ASIO show in the upper right corner of Reaper's main window? (Power-of-2 sizes would be 64,128,256,512,1024,2048...)
Old 10-18-2019, 09:32 AM   #5
mathurgood

Thanks for your reply and apologies for the delay. I'm not sure if this information will be illuminating, but here we go:

WASAPI:

512spls ~8.3/56ms - audio fine
256spls ~5.0/60ms - audio fine

EMU ASIO:

1024 block size requested = 1012spls ~24/27ms - audio breaks up
512 block size requested = 484spls ~12/15ms - audio breaks up
256 block size requested = 220spls ~6.8/9.8ms - audio breaks up

I can either use the EMU ASIO configuration window to set the buffer size in ms OR tick the "Per Application Preferences" box and set the block size (e.g. 256, 512) in the Reaper preferences. Either way, the problem persists.

It seems you may have hit the nail on the head with this. I've emailed Puremagnetik this afternoon to let them know about it, so I'll wait to see what they come up with. Thanks again for your assistance!