Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 08-23-2017, 12:02 PM   #241
V1b3zman
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozman View Post
Actually, I think there would be something better than melodyne....

Being able to treat monophonic samples as midi.

- Relevance: I like to work holistically. I desire that everything I learn (Music theory, sampling, midi, etc.) come together in a collective and cohesive way, not fragmented.

Dropping a sample to the arrangment at a certain position, scan the audio item to determine all necessary relative/useful information (pitches, stereo, volume changes, etc). Then being able to, in this case, edit that item as a hybrid wav and midi item.

I'm going through periods of ecstasy and anxiety thinking about such an intuitive workflow, and the possibility that someone will do it.

As a completely ITB producer, the improvements of Sampling and MIDI (and their SYNERGY) is almost everything to me.

Melodyne is nice, but I don't need ARA, it's just better convenience to an already fragmented workflow.

ARA vs external editor = not much difference.

Reaper doesn't have ARA, so what. ARA is already a feature of the past.
Something even better than that.... Polyphonic samples that behave like midi! That's the advantage of Melodyne. ARA allows you to do this in the arrange window without having to play the sample into a plugin. once the item is edited you can copy and paste anywhere in the project.

there is a big difference between Melodyne with ARA and external editor. Melodyne gives you that seamless workflow you dream about as well as supporting creativity in being able to alter voicing of chords chord quality, timing, attacks, lengths, releases, transitions etc. as if you were editing Midi.

I have been following this thread for a while now and I get the feeling that the people saying we don't need it are people who don't understand the program and have never used it.

Mixing engineers are interested in tuning vocals. Producers are interested creative ways to use their sample library as well as creatively transforming the recorded audio. This is where we REALLY need Melodyne unless of course there are plans to give this capability to reatune any time soon.

There are other reasons my work flow in Reaper keeps me from entirely abandoning it for Studio One, But ARA support for Melodyne would be a HUGE improvement to Reaper
V1b3zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 02:59 AM   #242
G-Sun

Quote:
Honestly, Reaper is like a goldmine of possibilities, b/c of the way the devs approach feature development. Many of the features we have are bare-bones and get improved with testing, bug fixes, and updates. While this has Reaper in a place that other DAWs aren't, much like Blender, in the 3D field, it also has Reaper containing features that have much potential which can go either unnoticed or untapped for years. ReaTune, ReaSamplomatic5000, and our MIDI Editor are such features. They are so capable of great things, due to their not being cluttered with pre-existing, out-dated philosophy.

It would at this point seem like a cop-out to go running after ARA support instead of improving (i.e. better integrating) what we already have.
The issue as I see it:
Pitch correction, like done in Melodyne, is a wast topic, requiring specific knowledge, skills and attention.
How many dev-hours do you think going into research and development of Melodyne? Now, do you see the Reaper-team putting in anything like that to develop ReaTune?
Not, impossible, but a huge task.
And look at Superior Drummer 3, taking drum-sampling to another level. Then Auto-mixing and mixing-presets.

What is important is that the Reaper-devs develop core-functionality well. Then other things are secondary.

But, I'd love to see ReaTune evolve
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:27 AM   #243
Ozman

I'm not saying that Melodyne would be replaced by ReaTune.
Like I mentioned before, Melodyne is the best at what it does (polyphonically). However, I'm all about refining the current tools (e.g. ReaTune and ReaSamplomatic5000), 2 potentially powerful plugins that have a lot of room for improvement when it comes to integration with the rest of the DAW. Shucks, RS5K recently opened some API features which allow us to manipulate the samples loaded within it. ReaTune needs some updates as well. It's just that I've coveted some of the things that I've seen in other DAWs. I haven't replaced Reaper, b/c I still prefer the possibilities and open workflows available.

Again, I don't think ReaTune will replace Melodyne anytime soon or ARA for that matter. I was just doing some wishful thinking regarding ReaTune, b/c I've seen other DAWs advance in this area, and I think that Reaper can do something somewhat unique yet undeniably a step in the right direction with ReaTune.
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:36 PM   #244
mschnell

Quote:
However, I'm all about refining the current tools (e.g. ReaTune and ReaSamplomatic5000),
To do it right, that would ask a huge lot of addition workload from the Reaper developers.

If there are 3rd party tools, IMHO its a lot more efficient to allow them to be used instead of recreating a similar functionality.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:31 PM   #245
frippouille

Why all that discussion... ARA should be Reaper implemented :-)
frippouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:15 PM   #246
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by frippouille View Post
Why all that discussion...
Thinking before acting never is in vain.

Do consider whether you want to drink bear or tee before you open either of the fridge or the cupboard !

-Michael
Old 08-25-2017, 12:05 AM   #247
G-Sun

I believe the solution is doing both ARA and ReaTune.

There is no reason not to develop ReaTune into something really useful.
And Melodyne is current industry-standard for pitch-correction.
Old 08-25-2017, 04:28 AM   #248
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
There is no reason not to develop ReaTune into something really useful.
Are you willing to donate hundreds of working hours or thousands of Dollars to Cockos to make that happen ?

Quote:
And Melodyne is current industry-standard for pitch-correction.
This seems to be a fact. Other than with Linux or Networking, in the world of digital audio such standards are not defined by publicly accepted committees, but by companies barefacedly setting them (such as Steinberg with VST and ASIO).

-Michael
Old 08-25-2017, 05:32 AM   #249
Ozman

I think that ReaTune is useful as is (for what it does at its essence), but could be more integrated with other areas of the DAW (e.g. Arrangement and MIDI editor).

Look at how fast changes to the RS5K api were made, to allow for new scripts to be written. It can be a gradual process even, feature at a time.

I'm not wanting ReaTune to take the place of Melodyne, just as RS5K taking the place of N.I. Kontakt. I'm just saying that more integration would improve the overall DAW itself.
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:49 AM   #250
G-Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Are you willing to donate hundreds of working hours or thousands of Dollars to Cockos to make that happen ?
It's not like a major involvement,
just the natural evolution of a plugin that is good sounding at core,
but lacks a few important features for me to be really useful.

- Strength
-- note middle pitch
-- drift
- Fine edit (better)

So, it's not that huge task (I assume )
Old 08-25-2017, 12:42 PM   #251
Jeronimo

Quote:
ARA vs external editor = not much difference.
I guess you haven't really experienced Melodyne with Studio One...
Old 08-25-2017, 02:26 PM   #252
mschnell

Quote:
just the natural evolution of a plugin ...
Maybe that is true. But with Reaper, I would define the Reaper stock plugins as being free courtesy give-aways, because (1) they are not covered by the purchase price and (2) they in fact are available for free to be used with other DAWs. So any enhancement request is not really decent.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 08-26-2017 at 03:59 AM.
Old 08-26-2017, 03:52 AM   #253
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeronimo View Post
I guess you haven't reak Illy experienced Melodyne with Studio One...
Depends on whatr you are needing to do.
I think I too have mis-interpreted WHY you guys want ARA and Melodyne.

I own Studio One but never use it.
I dont remember the one-track version of Melodyne included in S1 being all that, but there again I dont need the sort of bells and whistles I see you guys wanting to use like re-piching poly samples.
I am just not a cut n paste sample kind of musician, which is probably why others like me just dont see the big deal of having what is already out-dated functionality in "our" DAW.

Last edited by ivansc; 08-26-2017 at 01:00 PM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:22 AM   #254
Xenakios

Quote:
they in fact are available for free to be used with other DAWs. So any enhancement request is not really decent.
ReaTune is among the plugins that are not included in the standalone ReaPlugs that work with other DAWs. (Others are for example ReaSurround, ReaPitch and ReaVerb.) The standalone plugins are also not available for Mac OS. So I am not sure how they factor into this...?
Old 08-26-2017, 07:49 AM   #255
G-Sun

Quote:
But with Reaper, I would define the Reaper stock plugins as being free courtesy give-aways, because (1) they are not covered by the purchase price and (2) they in fact are available for free to be used with other DAWs. So any enhancement request is not really decent.

-Michael
That's an odd way of viewing it.
Reaper-plugs are part of the Reaper native essentials imo.
Old 08-26-2017, 08:53 AM   #256
slipstick

Quote:
just the natural evolution of a plugin that is good sounding at core,
but lacks a few important features for me to be really useful.
So, it's not that huge task (I assume )
Oh that takes me back to the good old days of programming for clients who couldn't write a computer program if they had a thousand years to go at it. But it never stopped them telling me how long it should take me...usually something like "Oh that's not a big job, it can't take more than a day or so".

My reply (if I was in a good mood) was usually "Great, glad it's that easy. Let me know when you've finished it and I'll help you test it" .

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:57 AM   #257
mschnell

Quote:
That's an odd way of viewing it...
Regrading ReaTune, you are right as it is not usable with another DAW.

In fact I suppose it does not really do anything to the audio stream, but it just remote-controls the items' "pitch adjustment".

Most of the other (great !) Cockos plugins are available for free in the "ReaPlugs" package. So they are in the stock distribution "just by chance".

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 08-26-2017 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:40 AM   #258
Xenakios

Quote:
So they atr in the stock distribution "just by chance".
No they are not. Reaper with the ReaPlugs included was released before the standalone ReaPlugs. Cockos released the standalone plugins package because there was some demand for them, some people liked the plugins but did not necessarily want to use Reaper itself.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:15 AM   #259
G-Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
Oh that takes me back to the good old days of programming for clients who couldn't write a computer program if they had a thousand years to go at it. But it never stopped them telling me how long it should take me...usually something like "Oh that's not a big job, it can't take more than a day or so".

My reply (if I was in a good mood) was usually "Great, glad it's that easy. Let me know when you've finished it and I'll help you test it" .

Steve
Yes, you're right I have little clue about programming this.
But, afaik, this is the natural evolution of ReaTune,
and it's a relatively small task compared to making a plugin like Melodyne.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:34 AM   #260
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
some people liked the plugins but did not necessarily want to use Reaper itself.
I would not mind having them buy Reaper nonetheless just for the (very valuable) plugins.

-Michael
Old 08-27-2017, 06:23 AM   #261
Xenakios

Quote:
I would not mind having them buy Reaper nonetheless just for the (very valuable) plugins.

-Michael
Sure, but some of the more interesting plugins (ReaPitch, ReaTune, ReaSurround, ReaVerb) are excluded from the free of charge Windows-only plugin package anyway.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:31 PM   #262
musicbynumbers

not going to lie.. Would still see ARA support as a massive benefit over here
Old 08-28-2017, 05:55 AM   #263
sievr

right now be badly need ara; for example melodyne, revoice, rx6...
i would love to see that <3
sievr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:32 PM   #264
Rico Sergeant

ARA is really at the top of my request list, it works so well in Studio One, I really hope they see how much this is wanted, and decide to implement it in V6.
Rico Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:26 PM   #265
Jazzooka

Hi,

I think it is time for a bump!

I was so shocked to see that the new Logic update has ARA2 full implementation

Never would have thought Apple dev team for Logic would add this before we would see it in Reaper.

Melodyne is the de facto standard by now for proper pitch & timing correction of vocals, it’s integration in Reaper would make it super vocal-music friendly

And one wouldn’t be tempted going back to Logic or other option just for vocal recording/editing combined with Melodyne

Reaper is my most used DAW by far (and we have at the studio PT2018, Cubase 9, Ableton 10, Reason 10, Logic, Waveform 9 & Mixbus), but ARA, please, benevolent Reaper dev gods, bestow upon us this magnificent bit of workflow

Best

Nico
Old 10-11-2018, 06:32 PM   #266
X. O. Apodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Sergeant View Post
ARA is really at the top of my request list, it works so well in Studio One, I really hope they see how much this is wanted, and decide to implement it in V6.
Read that ARA2 will be implemented possibly in the next update prior to the V6 release.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:15 AM   #267
Jeronimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by X. O. Apodo View Post
Read that ARA2 will be implemented possibly in the next update prior to the V6 release.
Good to know! It shouldn't be that far...
Old 10-15-2018, 09:30 AM   #268
X. O. Apodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeronimo View Post
Good to know! It shouldn't be that far...
I would have thought that Cockos would have waited for V6 to include ARA. Thinking that this is a major new feature to get new and old customers to get V6.

But then they must have really great new features brewing for V6 that ARA is not considered to be that important in the marketing scheme.

For me either way is fine as I am to get V6 as a free update. I am really looking forward to using Melodyne in Reaper with ARA!
Old 10-15-2018, 09:38 AM   #269
mschnell

Quote:
But then they must have really great new features brewing for V6
Why do you think so ?
"Major" version numbers in Reaper seemingly are just a means of access control and not a hint for more functionality (happily functionality does not seem to be reduced to greatly modified over the time, anyway).

-Michael
Old 10-16-2018, 11:41 PM   #270
X. O. Apodo

Quote:
Why do you think so ?
"Major" version numbers in Reaper seemingly are just a means of access control and not a hint for more functionality (happily functionality does not seem to be reduced to greatly modified over the time, anyway).

-Michael
Interesting. Different that the other DAW's. I yield to your 5,710 posts of experience. I was looking forward to the new features in Reaper 6 but now I could care less if or when it its released. However I am still looking forward to the Melodyne/ARA integration.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:09 AM   #271
mschnell

Quote:
I was looking forward to the new features in Reaper 6 but now I could care less if or when it its released.
Many had been expecting ARA for 6.x. Now it obviously will become "official" in 5.97, and already works seemingly rather well in the free prerelease versions since some time. Why do you think this is bad ?

-Michael
Old 10-17-2018, 07:13 AM   #272
Jae.Thomas

I would say it doesn't work that well just yet. It definitely needs refinement. But it does basically function... maybe I'm just a corner case
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:52 PM   #273
X. O. Apodo

Quote:
Why do you think this is bad ?

-Michael
What is this?
Old 10-17-2018, 01:01 PM   #274
mschnell

How to phrase that better in English ? I meant the two facts about Reaper versions stated in the preceding sentence.

-Michael
Old 10-17-2018, 01:06 PM   #275
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
I would say it doesn't work that well just yet. It definitely needs refinement.
That supposedly is true as well,

I don't have Melodyne so I can't decently comment. But I just talked to a friend of mine and he was delighted with Melodyne working in the current Reaper developer's built.

-Michael
Old 10-17-2018, 01:32 PM   #276
X. O. Apodo

Quote:
How to phrase that better in English ? I meant the two facts about Reaper versions stated in the preceding sentence.

-Michael
Quote:
Many had been expecting ARA for 6.x. Now it obviously will become "official" in 5.97, and already works seemingly rather well in the free prerelease versions since some time. Why do you think this is bad ?

-Michael
Sentence one:
"Many had been expecting ARA for 6.x" This is ok by me.

Sentence two:
"Now it obviously will become "official" in 5.97, and already works seemingly rather well in the free prerelease versions since some time." Good news as far as I am concerned!
Old 10-17-2018, 10:16 PM   #277
mschnell

"preceeding sentence" is "sentence two" (with out the part after the full stop which I would consider sentence three and contains the ambiguous "it").

-Michael (nitpicking)
Old 10-17-2018, 11:46 PM   #278
X. O. Apodo

Quote:
"preceeding sentence" is "sentence two" (with out the part after the full stop which I would consider sentence three and contains the ambiguous "it").

-Michael (nitpicking)
"How to phrase that better in English ? I meant the two facts about Reaper versions stated in the preceding sentence."

Actually the preceding sentence is "How to phrase that better in English" but the sentence that contains the word "phrase" has nothing to do with "Reaper versions".

It's getting late here and am heading to go to sleep. I snore pretty loud so I hope it doesn't keep any one else from sleeping.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:06 AM   #279
ivansc

(grin) think you should have had a good sleep before getting into the labrynth complications of English Grammar!

Upshot of the conversation is that we were all sorta expecting melodyne integration in version 6 but the devs have sprung it on us in a way that gives the impression that it will be ready to roll sooner than version 6, probably version 5.97.

Dont let the bedbugs bite....
Old 10-18-2018, 06:44 AM   #280
X. O. Apodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
(grin) think you should have had a good sleep before getting into the labrynth complications of English Grammar!

Upshot of the conversation is that we were all sorta expecting melodyne integration in version 6 but the devs have sprung it on us in a way that gives the impression that it will be ready to roll sooner than version 6, probably version 5.97.

Dont let the bedbugs bite....
I was one of those that thought that ARA2 would be in introduced in Reaper 6. Someone I forgot who that was knowledgeable of how the developers do things informed me that there was no such linkage.

Personally I think that the developers were very generous to offer to give us ARA pre-V6 perhaps V5.97. I could care less whether ARA was included is V6 or or in a earlier version. What I care about is that it will happen sooner than later.

Before criticizing me about my English grammar learn to spell "labyrinth" properly. Bed bugs bite only those that make spelling mistakeeees.