Old 09-19-2009, 10:39 AM   #41
bluzkat
Human being with feelings

@Brunette Models,

I was going to dig up that theme, you saved me the work. Thanks. That theme just cracks me up.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:16 AM   #42
Jae.Thomas

if midi is an elephant, musical notation is a dinosaur
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:22 PM   #43
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by setvice View Post
People give you a funny look when you tell them you use reaper. Thats the only drawback i've found so far.
like the guitar center guy, "you use what?......not pro tools?.......i haven't heard of that.......well, if you want to run pro tools..."

i left.
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:16 PM   #44
shawnguess

track comping system. . . thats the only thing that sucks about reaper
shawnguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:58 PM   #45
DigiDis

If you use Reaper too much you get hairy palms.

Dude, Reaper rocks for 60 bucks and you don't have to live with the shame of cracked DAW software. And even if it doesn't have the track comping capabilities of Logic, Logic doesn't have the routing capabilities of Reaper. Reaper is up there in quality with Cubendo, Sonar, Logic but at a tenth of the price. Lastly, these softwares don't make music, they just allow YOU to make music. The real question is "Can YOU make good music?" If yes, then the choice of DAW software is irrelevant. You could even do it with ProTools!
DigiDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:54 AM   #46
glynbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unox View Post
Sir, NOTHING beats the Atari!!

..and look at those graphics.. Remember the little metronomebleep?

[IMG]http://img30.**************/img30/1972/cubaseforatari.png[/IMG]
Still got mine, although I've lost the mouse ball (which annoyingly is a non-standard size) so it's a little tedious to use now.

Cheers,
Glyn
Old 09-21-2009, 04:15 AM   #47
g8torcliff

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
like the guitar center guy, "you use what?......not pro tools?.......i haven't heard of that.......well, if you want to run pro tools..."

i left.
i recently was shopping for a new interface. i told the guitar center guy i had a practically new M-box sitting at home on a shelf...cuz i don't like PT. his response - "well, thats what all the 'pros' use" and "i used to have my own studio". i told him i use reaper and also got that weirdlook from him. then he tried to convince me that you HAVE to use the software that comes bundled with your interface (cubase, sonar, pt, etc..)

i left.

now gc is only for getting a hands-on look at something.

if anything at all 'bothers' me about reaper, it would be midi stuff....and i'm not good or very knowledgeable in that regard anyway. otherwise, recording guitars, bass, vocals, etc., is pretty straight forward.

cliff
g8torcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:15 AM   #48
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by manning1 View Post
i had an atari st...
went kablooey.
but was fun for awhile.
Almost a haiku!
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:35 AM   #49
Fingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0jsj View Post
BUT I NOW NEED TO HEAR SOMETHING BAD ABOUT REAPER!!!!! Could some good honest person give me a reason to NOT buy reaper? is there ANYTHING not good about it?
two bad things about its updates:

1- few or no documentation - you have to guess or search in the forum for what is and how to use the new features

2- there will be times when you are already used to work in a certain way, then the new version of Reaper changes and it will not allow you to work that way anymore. you'll have to change your way of working.
Fingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:57 AM   #50
zappsunzorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingle View Post

1- few or no documentation - you have to guess or search in the forum for what is and how to use the new features

2- there will be times when you are already used to work in a certain way, then the new version of Reaper changes and it will not allow you to work that way anymore. you'll have to change your way of working.

1. The manual has been updated already for version 3.11. It seems ever since Reaper 3 came out the manual has been keeping up with the released version.

2. This will be true of any DAW to some extent. I think Cockos does a great job when it comes to work flow compatibility between releases.
zappsunzorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:04 AM   #51
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Quote:

A 400+ pages manual, several great Reaper centered publications from the manual author, a Wiki, a forum and a chat seems to be sufficient to me. Taking the development pace of Reaper into consideration, it's simply impossible to keep up with that in the doc department (but Nicholas makes it happen somehow anyway).

Quote:
This has happened in other hosts many times but AFAIK this never happened in Reaper yet, the devs are adding new stuff while keeping existing functions alive (making other people yell "bloat!!") in order to keep projects compatible and not to break your workflow. In fact, Reaper is backward and even as forward compatible as it gets, you can open R3 projects in R2.x and it will simply ignore the new stuff and play what it understands. Major workflow affecting changes may happen in the future but I'm pretty sure that they won't slap you like e.g. Steinberg.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:37 AM   #52
Fingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steindork View Post
A 400+ pages manual, several great Reaper centered publications from the manual author, a Wiki, a forum and a chat seems to be sufficient to me. Taking the development pace of Reaper into consideration, it's simply impossible to keep up with that in the doc department (but Nicholas makes it happen somehow anyway).
can we find a "what is" and a "how to use" all the new features of 3.11 somewhere in this documentation? no we can't.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:40 AM   #53
EvilDragon

Are you seriously thinking that Nicholas (or whoever writes those manuals, please correct me) has enough time to append to the manual for EACH AND EVERY little increment of version? That's a ridiculous task if you ask me.

You do your main reading with the User Guide, it covers all the basics (and then some). When a new version emerges, you go to forum and ask about it. I see no problem with this approach.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:48 AM   #54
Fingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steindork View Post
This has happened in other hosts many times but AFAIK this never happened in Reaper yet, the devs are adding new stuff while keeping existing functions alive (making other people yell "bloat!!") in order to keep projects compatible and not to break your workflow. In fact, Reaper is backward and even as forward compatible as it gets, you can open R3 projects in R2.x and it will simply ignore the new stuff and play what it understands. Major workflow affecting changes may happen in the future but I'm pretty sure that they won't slap you like e.g. Steinberg.
i wrote this because i just uped to v3 and it took a long time to make it behaves similar to v2. it's not big things, but small ones like the horizontal scroll with the mousewheel that's now reversed. that new step in the add fxchain menu, some old individual actions and macros stop working, and so on. little things that i'll have to learn to live with. i wasn't talking about compatibility with old/new projects.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:52 AM   #55
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Quote:
can we find a "what is" and a "how to use" all the new features of 3.11 somewhere in this documentation? no we can't.
They might be marked "New!" in the UG table of contents, each new version has a thread where these things are being asked frequently. I agree, you have to be a little proactive at times and this could be improved, but don't you think this is far from being "few or no documentation?
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:03 AM   #56
Fingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Are you seriously thinking that Nicholas (or whoever writes those manuals, please correct me) has enough time to append to the manual for EACH AND EVERY little increment of version? That's a ridiculous task if you ask me.

You do your main reading with the User Guide, it covers all the basics (and then some). When a new version emerges, you go to forum and ask about it. I see no problem with this approach.
easy man. no hard feelings. kc0jsj asked for bad things about Reaper and i wrote what is not right IMO, just it. i don't love reaper less than you or many other users, but i can't pretend that something is alright when is just ok.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:07 AM   #57
EvilDragon

Sorry if I sounded a bit rough, didn't intend to... but it's really hard to update the manual at each and every increment, that has got to be easy to understand...
Old 09-21-2009, 07:12 AM   #58
Fingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Sorry if I sounded a bit rough, didn't intend to... but it's really hard to update the manual at each and every increment, that has got to be easy to understand...
that's alright

the important thing is that both of us understand each other's point of view.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:14 AM   #59
jamieson1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedwood View Post
Your wife will run off with your next door neighbor and you won't notice until you run out of toilet roll
HAHAHAHA!!! funny!
Old 09-21-2009, 07:17 AM   #60
Diogenes

Quote:
now gc is only for getting a hands-on look at something.
Heh... that is if you can look at something NOT covered in snot, spilled cola or bubblegum residue... The nearest GC to me... well, everything in there looks like its been rolling around in a dumpster. Even the high-end Gibbys and PRS guitars. The store manager should be shot and then fired!

I've been Reaping since 1.? or thereabouts. I think the first version I actually done anything with was .86... Anyway, I think the support, the manual updates, the improvements are coming at astounding rates compared to most if not ALL the software companies I have dealt with. Music related and otherwise. I like it.

D
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:10 AM   #61
fandango

And yet... in comparison, the MIDI editing was still nicer.

(and iirc, you could easily see the MIDI channel for each track on the track view overview without opening up dialog boxes, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynbo View Post
NOTHING beats the Atari!!

..and look at those graphics.. Remember the little metronomebleep?

[IMG]http://img30.**************/img30/1972/cubaseforatari.png[/IMG]
fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:13 AM   #62
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandango View Post
(and iirc, you could easily see the MIDI channel for each track on the track view overview without opening up dialog boxes, etc.)
True. Everything is right there. I used that sequencer on Atari for years.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:55 AM   #63
Unox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
True. Everything is right there. I used that sequencer on Atari for years.
...I even had that little black SMPTE-box you plugged at the leftside connected to a Fostex A8... How was it called.. Cost me a fortune in those days..
Unox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:48 PM   #64
chrisharbin

someone was bored
chrisharbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:51 PM   #65
keyman_sam

Bad things about reaper:

You have to hit a certain sweet spot to 'get' reaper. There are a plethora of configurations and if you untick or tick the wrong one, you're well on your path to audio-hell because you won't be able to figure out what's wrong. In my case, I just figured out that auto-save feature was causing all the trouble in my system leading to a crash every 15 minutes for the past few months. I wouldn't want that to happen to my worst enemy.

The other thing is that screen redraws are weird. There are certain times that the screen goes blank (dual screen setup) and you have to refresh the desktop to get it back.

Also midi isn't anything to write home about. It is sorta clumsy.

Looks USED to be the biggest gripe and with V4 and RADO theme, I've got absolutely nothing to complain about in that area. They've really done a great job ramping up the looks.

There are a million good things about Reaper though. The bad things, to summarize: poor midi, too many options (easy to mess up), feels a little unmatured. Because of the nightmare I've had for the past few months, I feel uncertain if Reaper is the right choice for me. There is a certain point upto which I can tolerate crashes, instability and random freezes. Reaper has gone way beyond that threshold. I have lost many creative ideas, changes to a project, edits, etc. due to these crashes. It has happened enough times that I am stressed out whenever I'm working on a project just because I'm uncertain if it wont crash when I hit Ctrl+S. It has created an aversion towards making music using Reaper. The forum is helpful but that doesn't solve the problem. Imagine if your projects open and say 'ReaDelay cannot load'. That's frightening.

For my next DAW, I'm going to try Logic since its been proven to work. I, unfortunately, can't say the same for Reaper. If Logic turns out to be a bad experience, I will get back to Reaper. Stability is my key concern, and even if its more expensive, it is worth it in the long run. However, these are only MY experiences and so you should take them with a grain of salt. There are PLENTY Of others who dont experience any problems and I wish I was one of them. I do brag about Reaper to my fellow musicians though.

For $60, you can't go wrong though. I love it (barring the stability issues) when it WORKS, and so does everyone else here.

Last edited by keyman_sam; 08-31-2011 at 04:04 PM.
keyman_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:37 PM   #66
eganmusic

Bummer about the instability report.
Exactly opposite from most folks here and myself.

it has been my experience that a good mobo will grant you more long-term stability than most anything else

The only real BAD thing about rpr is that you will go BLIND after 8 hours!
eganmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:22 PM   #67
chrisharbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunetteModels View Post
Old people are like that.
Eh sonny? heehehehehe
Old 08-31-2011, 06:41 PM   #68
Peter Richan

Somebody's going to insinuate you're not a "professional" without Protools?
Peter Richan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:50 PM   #69
chrisharbin

No, just point out that the thread is two years old lol

(yes, I being a stinker )
Old 08-31-2011, 07:17 PM   #70
emspace

The only negative for me, so far, is if you work with large templates and VIs (for example large orchestral projects) on a Mac, you may run into CPU issues (unless you have a powerful quad-core machine). It's the only reason I keep Logic installed on my Mac. I love Reaper on my Windows machine, though!
emspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:45 PM   #71
eganmusic

That 4G of RAM might be slowing you up if you do large projects.
Some of my MIDI projects use over 5G RAM.

Win7 Pro/i7 960 oc@3.5Ghz/Intel Extreme DX58S02 mobo/16G DDR3 1600 RAM/2 x 24" monitors @1920x1200/70+ CD projects and counting/Komplete 7/Ready for Komplete 8!
Old 08-31-2011, 10:30 PM   #72
emspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by eganmusic View Post
That 4G of RAM might be slowing you up if you do large projects...
Only on my Mac. CPU consumption on my Windows machine (also 4GB of RAM) is fine. See my other thread:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=87002

In a nutshell, on my Mac, CPU consumption is already up to 25% with 100 empty tracks (and that's with no plugins loaded yet!).
Old 09-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #73
eganmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by emspace View Post
Only on my Mac. CPU consumption on my Windows machine (also 4GB of RAM) is fine. See my other thread:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=87002

In a nutshell, on my Mac, CPU consumption is already up to 25% with 100 empty tracks (and that's with no plugins loaded yet!).
Whoa, I see what you are saying now!

CPU-Wise:
My money says it is not a Reaper issue...
Your mac is a graphic animal so it's probably eating CPU a lot more.
I know nothing about mac, I am a PC all my life

Memory-Wise:
I HIGHLY recommend going 64-bit in Windows, And quite frankly, I am extremely surprised you can get by without it in your case.
Yes, you got almost 3G available, but that will get munched real quick, and your OS may hog a bit of that later.
Installing extra RAM is a no-brainer, and there is no excuse because it is almost free these days. reaper will see it all
With my 16G of RAM, I actually have almost 15G Free!!

A 32-bit testimony:
FWIW, Some plugins (Guitar Rig) will stop working when you get over ~ 1200M used in your project and you will get a message saying that it is an un-authorized copy, (because it ran out of memory). Really sucks.
Going 64-bit, You can have just gobs of stuff open and this never happens.
This is the MAIN reason I went 64-bit when I record, because I can have a warehouse full of instruments loaded up in my project.
When I get a creative thought, I can just pick an instrument, and start recording.
I plan on doing more orchestral things too (My own weird version of it), and I am very confident I won't run out of memory.
It's also cool to see the hard drive light OFF during playback of your project!

In case anyone is wondering... NO, reaper x64 has never crashed on me. not once.

This has been my experience, your mileage may vary.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:08 PM   #74
lxm

DONT dl it cause 6mb is BULLSHIT bloat-ware
lxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:33 PM   #75
emspace

Quote:
...CPU-Wise:
My money says it is not a Reaper issue...
Actually, I believe it IS a Reaper issue since Logic Express doesn't suffer from the same high CPU consumption issue.

Quote:
...Memory-Wise:
I HIGHLY recommend going 64-bit in Windows, And quite frankly, I am extremely surprised you can get by without it in your case...
I am using 64-bit bit Windows (but running 32-bit Reaper) which is probably why it runs just fine on my Windows box (I only have issues with the Mac version).

But overall, I do think it's time for a new machine soon.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:57 PM   #76
chrisharbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxm View Post
DONT dl it cause 6mb is BULLSHIT bloat-ware
haha!
Old 09-01-2011, 05:28 PM   #77
eganmusic

Quote:

I am using 64-bit bit Windows (but running 32-bit Reaper) which is probably why it runs just fine on my Windows box (I only have issues with the Mac version).

But overall, I do think it's time for a new machine soon.
I'm confused.
I'm sure it runs FINE for you, but I think you are scared or something to run x64 version... It runs fine BECAUSE you are not running x64? Not true at all.

According to your specs, your PC is a way better machine than your mac, all you need is more RAM and x64...

But you probably don't want 6mb worth of BULLSHIT bloatware
Old 09-01-2011, 05:46 PM   #78
emspace

Quote:
I'm confused.
I'm sure it runs FINE for you, but I think you are scared or something to run x64 version...
Not all my plugins are 64-bit unfortunately and bit-bridging has been flaky on my setup for whatever reason.

Quote:
But you probably don't want 6mb worth of BULLSHIT bloatware
Old 09-01-2011, 05:56 PM   #79
eganmusic

Quote:
Not all my plugins are 64-bit unfortunately and bit-bridging has been flaky on my setup for whatever reason.

Oh, but of course! My bad.
Oddly enough, I tried to google "64 bit waves" one day, and that's how I found you guys and installed rpr, and... No 64 bit waves... Oh well!

I must be the scared one then, since I haven't tried bit bridging.

I have found "JesusSonic"!
Have a great day Mr. Emspace.