Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 07-18-2010, 08:48 AM   #1
Vendurain
Human being with feelings

Default Stop playback - a little slow responsive? (SOLVED)

Hi.. I am new to reaper and very pumped up about it... telling every friend I have and everyone else to switch to reaper...

I've already found a few things I thought I'd give my suggestions about..

I guess I'll post the suggestions in another forum but her is something, I don't know if it is a bug...

When I switched off the smooth fade out when you hit stop... (in preferences --> audio).. It seems that there still are a little tale of audio that gets played after I hit stop... so I was starting to wonder if it was like this before also... I suspected maybe this was a bug that came with the smooth start/stop fades... so if you disable that feature its still going to play the length of the fade but without a fade if you know what I mean.... I have no idea if this is the reason ofcourse but anyway... the stop instruction is a little slow responsive is what Im trying to say... not much to talk about but like 20 ms or so... Maybe its just here.. Is it anything I can do in the preferences?

Any suggestions? Is it a bug?
Vendurain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:11 AM   #2
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Welcome to Reaper!

That's due to the "Anticipative FX" pre-renderning feature (set to 200ms by default). You can reduce that time in Options->Preferences->Audio->Buffering to e.g. 50ms at the expense of a little less CPU efficiency. It also affects tweaking knobs on FX and things like that.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
musicbynumbers

I would say it could also be due to media buffering being to high. Try 400 ms and 25 percent.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:39 PM   #4
Vendurain

Yes... thank you guys!.. I said it was like 20 ms but what I ofcourse meant was 200 ms.. So that solved it! Thanks!

Lol 20 ms is like nothing :P

Ok so it affects tweaking knobs on FX in what way? Positive or negative?.. If I lower the anticipative FX pre-rendering radically, will knobs be less responsive?
Old 07-19-2010, 03:44 PM   #5
Vendurain

read in the descriptions that that was the case yes... guess I'll just leave it at 200 then.. not that much of a problem really.. now atleast I know why it is the way it is..
Old 11-05-2010, 02:24 PM   #6
vras

Default Unstable sound after START/STOP

Outgoing audio is very unstable for ~1/2 second after each START or STOP command. After this 1/2 sec, it plays correctly.
Here is how is sound (low quality, recorded from monitors using nokia mobile)
http://soundcloud.com/metalurg/n2
I use some UAD stuff, can't this be related with some UAD-2 plugins or should I change any settings? Thanks!
vras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:57 PM   #7
vras

Default Post-STOP glitches

This issue is common for both Reaper 3 & Reaper 4 alpha. The STOP is mostly more problematic - it's still having post-STOP audio glitches. It totally cannot be used for checking delays or reverbs decays when audio stops for example.
I can imagine how Anticipative FX works - I can imagine that due to time compensation there may exist different delays for different FX chains.
But why isn't it possible to simply terminate inputs for all FX-chains for all tracks at once without post-stop artefacts? If the decreasing of media buffering is solution, as mentioned previously, I don't like it too much if it does consume more CPU? ...thankx!
Old 04-22-2011, 04:04 AM   #8
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

This is not necessarily an inherent problem of the audio engine but most probably depending on the plug-ins you use in the project(s) as well. A single plug-in with a corresponding bad behavior can mess up things for all other and I know e.g. a few freebie plug-ins that cause problems like this.

If you list all plug-ins used in a project that shows this problem (or upload and post a link to the .rpp project file), that could help finding the culprit.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:11 PM   #9
vras

I've been using Cubase projects with +- the same set of my favorite plugins (mostly UAD and Voxengo) and I am sure that post-start and post-stop glitches never happened there, simply stop and start works smoothly. Everytime. Therefore I do suppose the issue is not caused by plugins but is on Reaper side. Sure I can upload some RPP file example somewhere if it helps.